NACMaverick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Football training - have a date, need help getting the goal

Ok, here's a quick run down of what I'm looking for help with. I normally am a hockey player, goaltender to be exact and play recreationally once or twice a week usually. A bunch of friends and I are getting together July 18th for our yearly rivalry game. Normally I play on both sides of the line, do decent at blocking, but I'm defensive minded and do better on the defense side. Generally I can always provide pressure on the quarterback, but hardly ever actually get to him (I think once in 3 years).

Just some quick stars of mine: 250lbs, 6'0, bench~160 or so? Squat ~200 deads ~ haven't the foggiest, leg press 330, angled leg press 410. I know I need to cut weight, my fat percentage is above 20% I'm sure.

I was looking around and saw everyone being recommended ws4sb, but I'm far from a skinny bastard. I want to cut my weight, gain the speed to chase down a qb, and gain strength to hold of dt's. Essentially, I want to become a playmaker, or rather a menace on the field.

I don't really know how to accomplish this. I know cardio, but I don't know what cardio, what training types, what type of lifting (4 days, 3 days, 5 days etc) and than of course what nutrition plan should I follow? All the while I can't really bulk up a crap load since I have to maintain my goaltending performance.

I know this is a lot. I appreciate any help can get from you guys. Thank you all very much.

shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Listen, if you want to make it happen, its going to take a ton of work and discipline. I think WS4SB is a great recommendation for you because, no offense, but you are weak. You need to get a lot stronger. Here is what I would do. I'd follow WS4SB (probably either 1 or 3), but on the assistance stuff (assitance only, don't do this on the ME stuff), I would pick up the pace. What I mean by that is cut the rest periods down so you are increasing your heart rate and working up a sweat while you are lifting helping you to burn a little fat. After your workouts, you could run a few sprints. Joe even recommends this on his site (www.defrancostraining.com, the ask joe link).

As for your weight and bodyfat, this will mostly be a function of your diet. If I were you, I might do something like this: http://www.troponinnutrition.com/Shelby.pdf

So here is what you should do: read WS4SB (1 or 3), read the PDF on carb cycling, come up with a plan, post it back in this thread, and I'll help you refine it a bit.
    Visit my training log at www.whitemenCANjump.com
    Follow along as I try and complete my life long goal of dunking a basketball!

Thanks for the help. Here is the plan I have thus far, and feel free to blow it outta the water if you want to. I decided to go with WS4SB III as the workout plan and follow the carb cycle diet you suggested.

Monday:
    High Carb day (625g carb, 312.5g protein, 40-50g fat) *250lbs

AM:
    Bench Press (10,8,6,4,4 reps)
    Incline DB Bench Press (20,20)
    DB Row (10,10,10,10)
    SS w/
    Seated DB Power Cleans (10,10,10,10)
    BB Shrugs (10,10,10,10)
    Hammer Curls (10,10,10,10)

PM:
    HIIT Cardio

Tuesday:
    Low Carb day (250g carbs, 375g protein, 87.5g fat)
    AM:
    Vertical Jumps (8,8,8)
    DB Bulg Split Squat (10,10,10)
    Romanian Deadlift (10,10,10)
    DB Side Bends (12,12,12,12)

PM:
    Football Sprint training/conditioning (sprints, cone drills, bear crawls)

Wednesday:
    Low Carb day (250g carbs, 375g protein, 87.5g)
    Heavy Bag boxing (10 rounds, 3 min, 1 min break between rounds)
    Sludge Hammer training on tire?

Thursday:
    High Carb day (625g carb, 312.5g protein, 40-50g fat)
    AM:
    Push Up Variations (4x12)
    Lat Pulldown
    SS w/
    Seated DB Power Cleans (4x10)
    DB Military Press (10,10,10,10)
    BB Shrugs
    SS w/
    DB Curls (3x10)
    Heavy DB Holds (3 sets max time)

PM:
    HIIT Cardio

Friday:
    Low Carb Day (250g carbs, 375g protein, 87.5g fat)
    AM:
    Squats (10,8,6,4,4)
    Walking Lunges (3x10)
    Romanian Deadlifts (3x10)
    Ground Ab exercises circuit (4 exercises, 3 circuits, 20 reps each)

PM:
    Low-intensity cardio for legs or HIIT for upper body cardio (boxing/heavy bag)

Saturday:
    Football conditioning:
    Sprints, work on footwork, technique, yada yada yada

Sunday:

Rest

Thats what I got out of your advice. I am limited on some of the things that involve cables since I workout of my basement and can only get to the school gym 2 days a week (changes throughout the summer)

I appreciate the help, again, feel free to change this however you see fit.

shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NACMaverick View Post
    Thanks for the help. Here is the plan I have thus far, and feel free to blow it outta the water if you want to. I decided to go with WS4SB III as the workout plan and follow the carb cycle diet you suggested.

Monday:
    High Carb day (625g carb, 312.5g protein, 40-50g fat) *250lbs

AM:
    Bench Press (10,8,6,4,4 reps)
    Incline DB Bench Press (20,20)
    DB Row (10,10,10,10)
    SS w/
    Seated DB Power Cleans (10,10,10,10)
    BB Shrugs (10,10,10,10)
    Hammer Curls (10,10,10,10)

PM:
    HIIT Cardio

Tuesday:
    Low Carb day (250g carbs, 375g protein, 87.5g fat)
    AM:
    Vertical Jumps (8,8,8)
    DB Bulg Split Squat (10,10,10)
    Romanian Deadlift (10,10,10)
    DB Side Bends (12,12,12,12)

PM:
    Football Sprint training/conditioning (sprints, cone drills, bear crawls)

Wednesday:
    Low Carb day (250g carbs, 375g protein, 87.5g)
    Heavy Bag boxing (10 rounds, 3 min, 1 min break between rounds)
    Sludge Hammer training on tire?

Thursday:
    High Carb day (625g carb, 312.5g protein, 40-50g fat)
    AM:
    Push Up Variations (4x12)
    Lat Pulldown
    SS w/
    Seated DB Power Cleans (4x10)
    DB Military Press (10,10,10,10)
    BB Shrugs
    SS w/
    DB Curls (3x10)
    Heavy DB Holds (3 sets max time)

PM:
    HIIT Cardio

Friday:
    AM:
    Squats (10,8,6,4,4)
    Walking Lunges (3x10)
    Romanian Deadlifts (3x10)
    Ground Ab exercises circuit (4 exercises, 3 circuits, 20 reps each)

PM:
    Low-intensity cardio for legs or HIIT for upper body cardio (boxing/heavy bag)

Saturday:
    Football conditioning:
    Sprints, work on footwork, technique, yada yada yada

Sunday:

Rest

Thats what I got out of your advice. I am limited on some of the things that involve cables since I workout of my basement and can only get to the school gym 2 days a week (changes throughout the summer)

I appreciate the help, again, feel free to change this however you see fit.
    Ok, first things first, don't do hiit cardio the night before you are doing a jump workout and sprinting. Generally speaking, try to keep high intensity stuff on one day and then have a low intensity day between all high days.

So it looks like you have this as your general plan:

Monday: ME Upper; High carb
    Tuesday: DE Lower; Low carb
    Wednesday: No lifting; Low carb
    Thursday: RE Upper; High carb
    Friday: ME Lower; Low carb
    Saturday: No Lifting; Low carb
    Sunday: No Lifting; Low carb

Lets worry about the lifting and diet first, then we can place some running in. The way you have your workout days set up is fine, but I would for sure change your carb cycle. I would have a high day on Monday, medium day on Tuesday, Low day on Wednesday, High day on Thursday, Medium day on Friday, and then Low days on Saturday and Sunday.

What you will want to do is monitor your weight and as you get into this how you look in the mirror and feel in the gym. If your weight is not coming down slowly but surely, then you might adjust the carbs down a tad on each of your days. It will take some trial and error to hit your sweet spot.

Ok, now onto conditioning. I probably wouldn't do anything high intensity on Monday PM. Maybe just do a 30 to 45 minute walk or something.

Tuesday is fine.

Wednesday, I suppose the boxing is ok as long as it doesn't impact your ME Upper on Thursday. If it does, then drop it. Otherwise, I would do some low impact walking to start. Maybe walk in the morning and at night 30 to 45 minutes. If you have a heart rate monitor use it and keep your low intensity walks/jogs between 120 and 130 bpm. It will help with recovery and building an aerobic base.

Thursday, again, I wouldn;t do the hiit cardio with a ME Lower day on the next day. Probably would do some aerobic work (120 to 130 bpm for 30 to 45 minutes).

Friday you could throw some short sprints in after your workout if you wanted.

Saturday is probably ok except maybe make it more about technique and less about high intensity sprinting.

Sunday I would walk for recovery.

Ok again, keep the pace moving on your assistance work. Work up a sweat while you are lifting to keep the heart rate up. Also, don't forget to monitor carbs and adjust depending on how you are doing. As you get further into the diet, you could adjust your days and turn one of the high days into a medium day or something like that. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah for the lifting I stayed on the same days as listed by DeFranco in his manual.

So for the carb cycling, I want High-Med-Low-High-Med-Low-Low?
    For the med days, should I go with about a 1.5g per lb on the carbs?

I do have a heart rate monitor (almost said pace maker, haha), so I can def watch my heart rate. No more than 130? I was alwasy under the assumption that low intesity activities made the body go catabolic and that HIIT helped keep it from going catabolic. But I can most certainly be wrong. Walking is fine, I can do that for 45 min no problem.

Boxing never has been anything too serious in regards to a Upper Body training day the next day. I'll just ease back into it the first few weeks to make sure I dont shock my system way too much on the first week. I figure I'll be hurting all around from this, so why punish myself the extra days the first week.

Noted about Friday. Short sprints will most certainly be added. And dually noted that Sunday is another walking day, maybe a slow jog after some time?

It just seems to me that 1000g of food in a given day is absolutely ludicrous, I actually will have to try to eat that much. And that i'll be buying a lot of chicken breasts to eat from here on out.

I'll send you a PM if I have any questions. I may make a training log too that way you and others can see where I've been going wrong if it's not working out like I had hoped.

just a quick calculation, my BMR is 2388.3 for maintenance...

My high carb day has me eating at ~4000 calories. I realize that this in theory is a bulk, but wow, that seems like it being that high would be counterproductive. If I were to bring everything down a bit, bring it roughly to 3000 as opposed to 4k and start from there it would be ok? I understand i'm gonna need the energy, i just.....yeah...the math doesn't seem to add up in my book. haha.

thanks again.

VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All that HIIT cardio will hinder your strength and speed gains. Keep it simple and just drop some calories if you wnat to lose weight.
    Turn DE lower day into a conditioning day if you want to keep your hockey endurance or whatever up.

Something like this:

Monday: AM- Speed work, PM- ME Lower
    Tuesday: REP Upper
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Conditioning Day
    Friday: ME Upper
    Saturday: Speed Work

Conditioning Day would look like this:
    Plyo's or Speed work
    Agility drills
    Tire Flipping, Sleds, Farmes walks etc
    Bench: 215
    Squat: 250

"Saving the world one brick at a time"
    - Ben Stapleton (Brick layer)

Originally Posted by NACMaverick View Post
    just a quick calculation, my BMR is 2388.3 for maintenance...

My high carb day has me eating at ~4000 calories. I realize that this in theory is a bulk, but wow, that seems like it being that high would be counterproductive. If I were to bring everything down a bit, bring it roughly to 3000 as opposed to 4k and start from there it would be ok? I understand i'm gonna need the energy, i just.....yeah...the math doesn't seem to add up in my book. haha.

thanks again.
    Yeah, that'd be fine on the diet. The article I gave is just a general guideline. It took me some major trial and error to get it right for me, but once you find your sweet spot, I have found it is the easiest "diet" to keep with and works great too.

As for HIIT not making you go catabolic, muscle loss is overblown in my opinion. Unless you are eating like a model and running marathons at the same time, I don't think you will have to worry aboutlosing muscle. The concern you should have is having fresh legs for the strength work. In your situation, you need to get a lot stronger. So anything that hinders the strength work is not a good idea, which means no HIIT cardio the day before your leg work.