xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Intra workout supps hinder gains?

i could be completely wrong, and please correct me if I am but:

But lifting weights, is a catabolic activity, the goal of lifting weights is to cause "damage" to the muscle fibers so they have to repair themselves.

but consuming a product like, xtend, for example. it helps you stay "anabolic" during your workout. thus making you less catabolic.

doesnt that in a way defeat the whole purpose of lifting, well not defeat, but you know what i mean.

i have been using xtend for a long time, but the past month i stopped drinking it during my workouts, and only having it post and for cardio and my gains have been much better than before!
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

ryangomes24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

post workout

I train at 8pm and after my workout i obtain, whey and casieing protein 40 grams, and a gatorade, but my question is do i eat a full meal after since i do not get out of the gym at 930pm from training.

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ryangomes24 View Post
    I train at 8pm and after my workout i obtain, whey and casieing protein 40 grams, and a gatorade, but my question is do i eat a full meal after since i do not get out of the gym at 930pm from training.
    i always have a full meal after my shake regardless of the time
    and isnt that a little off topic?

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There will be muscle breakdown while you are actively lifting whether you take amino acids or not. Products with BCAA's simply limit the breakdown so you can recover fuller and faster. They also compete with free tryptophan for receptors in the brain so by increasing BCAA levels it can decrease feelings of fatigue allowing for more productive workouts.

My experience is opposite of yours because I have seen greater gains using intra-workout amino acid supplements.
    Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, only to be broken.

Originally Posted by AtomAnt70 View Post
    There will be muscle breakdown while you are actively lifting whether you take amino acids or not. Products with BCAA's simply limit the breakdown so you can recover fuller and faster. They also compete with free tryptophan for receptors in the brain so by increasing BCAA levels it can decrease feelings of fatigue allowing for more productive workouts.

My experience is opposite of yours because I have seen greater gains using intra-workout amino acid supplements.
    but wouldnt more muscle breakdown all room for more growth?

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check out this thread. Lots of good discussion there.

IntraWO AAs: Does Hindering Muscle Damage Limit Subsequent Muscle Growth?

Obviously there won't be one catch-all answer since the net effect of everything - supplementation, timing, dosing, diet, exercise protocol, etc... need to be added up. That thread hits upon many of the various micro-effects that can produce a macro-effect.
    Last edited by in10city; 01-07-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AtomAnt70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by xStevenx View Post
    but wouldnt more muscle breakdown all room for more growth?
    No because more nutrients would be needed to move from a catabolic state to an anabolic state. If you limit breakdown, more nutrients can be used to rebuild larger than before instead of bringing back to where you started from.
    Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, only to be broken.

QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuietKhaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

in simple terms...

BCAA's will aid you in longer and more intense workouts because the breakdown isn't as easy or as fast or "as much"...however you want to say it. At the end of your workout, you will have been able to do more reps at the same weight you would have done before making a better workout. More intense workout equals greater strength...greater strength inturn makes for greater muscle gain.

mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i may be off base on this but, creating muscle damage for repair and future growth is good, but what you want to avoid is your body breaking down muscle to simple aminos to fuel your work out, and that is where intra drinks come in handy, they kind of run roughshot during times of catabolism- keeping a constant feed stream to the muscle. that has always been my understanding.
    The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
    Ronald Reagan

Registered User bloodsimple1234's Avatar
    bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bloodsimple1234 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    well basically they don't hinder gains.

tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonutzda2@veriz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hmm
    Hard work pays off.Lift big or go home :)
    PART OF THE RANTER BOYZ CLUB
    nothin but a peanut. yo buddyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
    my stats page[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=531985[/url]

Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by xStevenx View Post
    i could be completely wrong, and please correct me if I am but:

But lifting weights, is a catabolic activity, the goal of lifting weights is to cause "damage" to the muscle fibers so they have to repair themselves.

but consuming a product like, xtend, for example. it helps you stay "anabolic" during your workout. thus making you less catabolic.

doesnt that in a way defeat the whole purpose of lifting, well not defeat, but you know what i mean.

i have been using xtend for a long time, but the past month i stopped drinking it during my workouts, and only having it post and for cardio and my gains have been much better than before!

research strongly supports the benefits of pre or intra workout nutrition.

nice theory, but reality is something else

maybe you need to moderate your intake of the stuff. drink less and make it more dilute. you don't need much, and if you are eating before you workout they are useless. sometimes these drinks can make you sluggish if you overdo them

Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Patrick Arnold is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AtomAnt70 View Post
    There will be muscle breakdown while you are actively lifting whether you take amino acids or not. Products with BCAA's simply limit the breakdown so you can recover fuller and faster. .
    the initial breakdown happens from the simple mechanical strain on the fibers as they exhaust and tear.

after that, they can be damaged more (and not in a good way) if the metabolic environment in the muscle is not adequate to support full recovery. recovery initiates immediately after damage is done, which means pre and/or intraworkout intake of adequate amino acids and carbs is essential

what i mean by "not in a good way" is that damaged muscle is extra prone to catabolism (protein degradation and loss of other vital myocelluar components). Which way your muscles are gonna go depends on how you prepare

point to remember

intra workout nutrition will not influence the extent of the damage done to your muscle fibers during exercise.

it is only after the damage that they have influence.