360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50) 360365LAWS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How many years would you use an average power rack for?

I have a body solid power rack. I got it in high school and I’m in my late 30s.

It’s always been indoors and hasn’t gone through any punishment other than heavy workouts.

Do you think it can be assumed that the original weight capacity measurements are still applicable?

The rack is supposed to hold 600# and the pull up bar 400#. I haven’t been doing weighted pull ups lately because I’m 230# and I’ll use close to 100#. It always seemed fine but it just scares me because it’s an old rack.

StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StephenCGreen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Time will not weaken it. The only thing that may weaken it is going beyond capacity. The more you go beyond capacity, the more it could weaken. So, if you've regularly gone beyond capacity, double check the welds, if there are any. Those are the weak spots.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Probably be fine, but see how it feels with bodyweight then add a bit at a time. If the welds look good, I'd expect the bar to bend well before anything catastrophic happens. Weight ratings are usually conservative for gym equipment.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm still using the Parabody I've had for over 20 years because the pop pins are just so damn convenient I can live with its other shortcomings.

North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50) North5evil will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Probably be fine, but see how it feels with bodyweight then add a bit at a time. If the welds look good, I'd expect the bar to bend well before anything catastrophic happens. Weight ratings are usually conservative for gym equipment.
    It's not welded on. It's on there with 4 bolts (2/ Side), but I was hoping to hear something along the line of it will bend before it breaks.

BruceTheHoon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Even the cheapest Chinesium steel will bend before it breaks.

If you were to have a failure, it would be most likely be a fatigue failure, like bending a coat hanger. You might see paint cracking along a fatigue line, but you're more likely to start hearing odd creaking noises before then. Make sure all the bolts are tight, and give everything the hairy eyeball if you hear noises.

The tubes on my power rack are the same size and thickness as the ones on my "cherry picker" engine hoist that's rated at 1500 pounds. My fat ass hanging from the chin handles are negligible.