GetBACKIn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trying to maintain my chest strength and up my back game

So awhile ago I realised I was a bit deficient in my back, both in terms of shape and overall strength and decided to work on upping my back strength for the time being and come back to shaping things once I was happy with my strength had increased and my form complemented it.

Thing is I'm curious what people think of my routine and what could be done to make it better. I'm basically pyramiding the weight upwards with each set and lowering the reps as a result. This has actually let me improve my one rep max bench press, not sure how but it has gone up a few KGs since I started this and I have made some decent gains in weightage on my back lifts.

Mon/Fri - A Workout - Back focus
    Warmup (10 reps of 1 set squats, overhead press, shrugs, bent over rows, deadlift and bench press)
    Flat bench X 4 sets (not including warm up set)
    Shrugs X 4 sets
    Bent over rows X 4 sets
    Deadlift X 4 sets

Wed - B Workout - Chest focus
    Warmup (10 reps of 1 set squats, overhead press, shrugs, bent over rows, deadlift and bench press)
    Flat bench X 4 sets (not including warm up set)
    Inclined bench X 4 sets
    Declined bench X 4 sets
    Shrugs X 4 sets (lighter weight then Mon/Fri)
    Bent over rows X 4 sets (lighter weight then Mon/Fri)
    Deadlift X 4 sets (lighter weight then Mon/Fri)

I should also add that in the case of shrugs and bent over row I'm doing them starting with the bar on the ground so I have to perform a deadlift to start and end each set. I'm also so doing squats, shoulder presses and bicep and triceps work on Tuesdays and Thursdays along with ab work on those days.

Any thoughts?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A few thoughts:

Deadlifts are woefully inadequate for back growth.

Bent over rows are incredibly overrated as well.

Shrugs are absolutely pointless.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 12-30-2021 at 07:57 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10) PissChugger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Exercise selction/split is a lil wonky but whatever, the pyramid **** is a good idea. Starting with the heavy set and pyramiding down makes more sense, though I'm sure both ways work. If you want back development then do weighted and unweighted chinups/pullups and swap out your wednesday row for a different variation.
    I wouldn't say rows are overrated but people often expect too much from them.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PissChugger View Post
    Exercise selction/split is a lil wonky but whatever, the pyramid **** is a good idea. Starting with the heavy set and pyramiding down makes more sense, though I'm sure both ways work. If you want back development then do weighted and unweighted chinups/pullups and swap out your wednesday row for a different variation.
    I wouldn't say rows are overrated but people often expect too much from them.
    Rows aren’t underrated, rows are awesome.

Bent over barbell rows are indeed overrated. That is coming from someone who can barbell row over 300 lbs.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton