Closed Thread
Page 108 of 290 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 208 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 8698
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Blueta View Post
    Got a question if someone lifted before but had long gap like 2-3 years with no activity, should they start from beginner program again?
    Yes because your work capacity is lost, even if you still have half your gains compared to someone who has never lifted before. What happens is the beginner routine only lasts 2/3-1/2 as long before you need a more complex routine to keep progressing.

Originally Posted by Josh1billion View Post
    I've been running into something really weird with overhead press. Note that I do a seated version, because my ceiling is too low for standing OHP.

Last workout (medium) and tonight's workout (light @ 75 lb), it felt like my ribs were going to rip through my chest. Really weird, painful/uncomfortable feeling. Literally just felt like my ribs were oriented in a way that they were about to burst through my skin, mostly on the left side (though it didn't look so extreme in the mirror). I had to skip one set last time and both sets tonight. Not sure what the cause is; I've been able to do OHP with heavier weights with no problem.

Thinking it might be a problem with an arched back, I watched myself in the mirror to make sure my back was straight. Also propped up a cushion behind me to press against to make doubly sure my back was straight. Also tried doing OHP with just the bar, and although it was better, I still felt this feeling somewhat.

I mostly get this feeling when lowering the weight back down. On the way up, I feel it a little bit, but lowering the weight back down is when it's excruciating.

Has anyone encountered this or know what's going on?
    You sound like the folk i know that try to suck their entire digestive track into their chest cavity when they lift something above their heads. You are not core bracing correctly and its causing your chest to rise. I break people of the habit by putting on a weight belt very loose. If they start to "suck", the belt will fall off. This teaches them to core brace correctly. You might be able to rig something up like that with a normal belt above a t-shirt so it doesnt stick, or maybe a loop of soft rope...

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Kcrack View Post
    As a guy who hasn't lifted in over 2 years, I've started again and after a great first workout I have a serious case of DOMS, as expected. Thing is I can barely put a shirt on because I can't lift my arms, but I want to remain consistent with the gym. If I can't workout, should I wait a few days until I'm not sore and start from a heavy day again?
    It will take 6 weeks for the doms to stop on this program. Either suck it up, or reduce volume down to 1 set instead of 2 till you can stand it.

DO NOT REDUCE FREQUENCY.

Originally Posted by gaz1980 View Post
    I am now on a 4 day split (upper A, lower A, upper B, lower B which I do Mon/Wed/Fri but may soon change to a Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri) which I took from one of the programs on this site. So apologies for posting here, as this is not related to Allpro routine, however I have received good advice here before, particularly from nightanole. And I do want to move in a similar progression (increasing reps each time, then ultimately weight)

I moved away from Allpro because I hurt my back (suspected muscle tissue damage from stretch reflex), I think hitting it 3 times a week with Rows and SLDLs was taking its toll. This new plan seems a lot better for it.

Workout A
    Bench Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x6
    Closegrip Bench 2x8
    Closegrip Pulldown 2x8
    Dumbbell OHP 2x8

Workout B
    Squat 3x6
    Good Mornings 2x10
    Split Squat 2x10
    Calf Raise 4x10
    Barbell Curl 3x8

Workout C
    Barbell OHP 3x5
    Pullups 3x6
    Incline DB Bench 3x8
    Seated Cable Row 2x8
    Dips 2x10

Workout D
    Deadlift 2x5
    Leg Press 2x8
    Leg Curl 3x8 <-- My gym doesn't have this, what can I replace with?
    Calf Raise 4x10
    DB Hammer Curl 3x8

I am looking to do a slow bulk without putting too much fat on and increase strength. The reps above were my starting point, main questions really are:
    - What should I increase reps to, so how many times should I run the A/B/C/D before increasing weight
    - After first cycle, what should I increase weight by? The 10% in AP, or something different? I want to make sure I continue to gain muscle as am eating 500kcal over maintenance

Any other comments greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Before you start reinventing the wheel, i would check out "The Viking's The Bare Bones Series" sticky as its almost your routine, and its rep goal based so you dont have to worry about the progression pattern.

xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Once a week

Hey Nightanole/Guys,

If I am only able to workout once a week, should I:
    a) Do allpro or another full body program? If another, which one?
    b) If allpro, should I do heavy each time? Probably yes.
    c) Instead of heavy, should I maybe go to failure each time considering only once per week, in order to hit the muscles as much as possible?

I realize once a week is not optimal, better than nothing.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by xempik View Post
    Hey Nightanole/Guys,

If I am only able to workout once a week, should I:
    a) Do allpro or another full body program? If another, which one?
    b) If allpro, should I do heavy each time? Probably yes.
    c) Instead of heavy, should I maybe go to failure each time considering only once per week, in order to hit the muscles as much as possible?

I realize once a week is not optimal, better than nothing.

Thanks.
    You cant do high rep and low frequency. You can do once a week full body, but it would have to be something in the 85-90% of 1rm for 5-10 sets of 3 reps, with increasing rest times as the sets go on. You could rig it up with the allpro lifts. The first 3 lifts would need to be the style i mentioned, and the last 4 lifts would just be an allpro heavy day. Basically you would need to find a pattern you like that would give you 25-30 reps at 85-90% of your 1 rep max, and rest times between sets can be unlimited. Progression would have to be a once a cycle "test day" where you just do 1 set to failure using your working weight for the first 3 lifts to recalculate your 1rm.

Murflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I guess something I may be missing with the routine is when you're doing any of the exercises are you doing all 4 sets in a row of squats (2 warm ups + 2 working sets) or are you doing warm up squat, then warm up bench, warm up BOR x 2, then working set squat, working set bench, working set bor, working set SLDL, etc., and starting from the top and running through each working set again?

Originally Posted by Murflow View Post
    So I guess something I may be missing with the routine is when you're doing any of the exercises are you doing all 4 sets in a row of squats (2 warm ups + 2 working sets) or are you doing warm up squat, then warm up bench, warm up BOR x 2, then working set squat, working set bench, working set bor, working set SLDL, etc., and starting from the top and running through each working set again?
    2 warmups then the lift you warmed up for, repeat

the last 4 lifts, starting with the OHP, do not require a warmup since the first 3 lifts should have already warmed up the muscle group you are using.

Murflow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    2 warmups then the lift you warmed up for, repeat

the last 4 lifts, starting with the OHP, do not require a warmup since the first 3 lifts should have already warmed up the muscle group you are using.
    Thanks. So I've been doing this wrong for months haha. Essentially been supersetting the whole routine, exercise 1, than 2, than 3, etc. repeat until complete.

Martavis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi there, thanks for the routine.
    I'm somewhat fit but I never really worked out in the gym on a consistent basis. I decieded to pick up your routine as my first one.

I got a few beginner questions so I apologize if you've already answered those:
    1) for the warm-up sets, are you supposed to do first warm-up with 1/4 of the work-set weight, and the second with 1/2 of the work-set weight?
    2) You recommended 45 minutes of cardio on rest days, but in my humble shape I can't really run for 45 minutes. Does that mean I should try walking (perhaps fast) for 45 minutes?
    3) A single work-set consists of 8-12 reps, correct? That is to say when I do curls, I should just do 2 sets of 8-12 reps each (if I chose to not do the warm-up)
    4) 3 work outs per week on non-consecutive days means that I'll have a 2 day rest for one of the work out. Should I take 2 days before my heavy work out for the week?

Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Martavis View Post
    Hi there, thanks for the routine.
    I'm somewhat fit but I never really worked out in the gym on a consistent basis. I decieded to pick up your routine as my first one.

I got a few beginner questions so I apologize if you've already answered those:
    1) for the warm-up sets, are you supposed to do first warm-up with 1/4 of the work-set weight, and the second with 1/2 of the work-set weight?
    2) You recommended 45 minutes of cardio on rest days, but in my humble shape I can't really run for 45 minutes. Does that mean I should try walking (perhaps fast) for 45 minutes?
    3) A single work-set consists of 8-12 reps, correct? That is to say when I do curls, I should just do 2 sets of 8-12 reps each (if I chose to not do the warm-up)
    4) 3 work outs per week on non-consecutive days means that I'll have a 2 day rest for one of the work out. Should I take 2 days before my heavy work out for the week?

Thank you very much.
    1) pick 2 weights around 25-33% and 50-66% of your heavy day working weight, do 1 set of 10 with the 25%, and 1 set of 10 of 50%. Repeat for each workout for the entire cycle, dont make it complicated. You could just do a ROM warmup with a plastic pipe/broom handle for the first warmup, and the 45lb bar for the 2nd warmup, for exercises you are running with a significantly less than 150lb working weight. I have a 15lb aluminum training bar so its easy for me to setup warmups, if you have a standard (not Olympic) weight set this is also pretty easy.

2) The recommended cardio is "something" you can sustain for at least 45min. For the elderly that might be just getting off and on a high stool every few seconds, for some that is a brisk walk with a backpack, for others that might be a several mile swim. If you want a personal recommendation, I would walk or power walk(must keep one foot on the ground at any given time) with a weighted backpack and tune it so that you do it aleast 45min but less than 75min. That keeps you from over exerting yourself, and at the same time keeps you from a pace you could sustain for hours and hours.

3) Yes, 2 sets then move to the next exercise. The first 3 (bench/row/squat) need to be done first, with warmups, in no particular order, followed by the other 4 in no particular order. If you do it as written it will get you in and out of the gym the fastest, but everyone might have to work in.

4) 36-48 hours rest before a medium or light, 72 hours rest before a heavy. You can also run the program with 2 heavy days, with the same 72 hours rest, but you need to include a 3rd set for the first 3 lifts to make up the volume.

Martavis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1) pick 2 weights around 25-33% and 50-66% of your heavy day working weight, do 1 set of 10 with the 25%, and 1 set of 10 of 50%. Repeat for each workout for the entire cycle, dont make it complicated. You could just do a ROM warmup with a plastic pipe/broom handle for the first warmup, and the 45lb bar for the 2nd warmup, for exercises you are running with a significantly less than 150lb working weight. I have a 15lb aluminum training bar so its easy for me to setup warmups, if you have a standard (not Olympic) weight set this is also pretty easy.

2) The recommended cardio is "something" you can sustain for at least 45min. For the elderly that might be just getting off and on a high stool every few seconds, for some that is a brisk walk with a backpack, for others that might be a several mile swim. If you want a personal recommendation, I would walk or power walk(must keep one foot on the ground at any given time) with a weighted backpack and tune it so that you do it aleast 45min but less than 75min. That keeps you from over exerting yourself, and at the same time keeps you from a pace you could sustain for hours and hours.

3) Yes, 2 sets then move to the next exercise. The first 3 (bench/row/squat) need to be done first, with warmups, in no particular order, followed by the other 4 in no particular order. If you do it as written it will get you in and out of the gym the fastest, but everyone might have to work in.

4) 36-48 hours rest before a medium or light, 72 hours rest before a heavy. You can also run the program with 2 heavy days, with the same 72 hours rest, but you need to include a 3rd set for the first 3 lifts to make up the volume.
    Perfect, I'm good to go. Thank you very much.

Registered User blackfieldgates's Avatar
    blackfieldgates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rig up the super sets so that you are always doing "something", and the pace is light enough that you can do it 45min without resting. If it gets too intense it stops being medium cardio and turns into HIIT. You might even be able to rig something up like 1 chinup, one pushup, walk 30ft with a weight, repeat. greyskull LP and 5/3/1 had a lot of "challenges" posted that would also work if the pace is sustainable.

The whole goal is just to do "something" with a pace that you can sustain for at least 45min. Hell there is jump rope routines with a pace that can be sustained for that long too. The point is we want to not tax your glycogen stores, those are handled by the main workout, we want to tax the system that flushes metabolites and runs off of glucose.
    I like the sound of doing GPP on off days (or at least GPP that I can do from home) as I live in Ireland and it is almost always perpetually rainy, miserable weather for walking in. For a very non-athletic non-athlete would it be sensible to maybe do a GPP session for the first half a of a cycle and go back to walking in the second, harder half or perhaps just do them coming up to a light day to make the light day more interesting?

Originally Posted by blackfieldgates View Post
    I like the sound of doing GPP on off days (or at least GPP that I can do from home) as I live in Ireland and it is almost always perpetually rainy, miserable weather for walking in. For a very non-athletic non-athlete would it be sensible to maybe do a GPP session for the first half a of a cycle and go back to walking in the second, harder half or perhaps just do them coming up to a light day to make the light day more interesting?
    Tell ya what, you can go nutts with the GPP etc as long as you do it directly after the allpro workout, and have a 500+ calorie meal directly after the GPP. Allpro is an "on season" program so it can be ran along with sports training.

Just remember true HIIT taxes your recovery just as much as another session of allpro, so if you did true HIIT 3x a week and allpro, it would be like lifting 6 days a week, and you would either burn out, or have to work at a very light weight inorder to complete the sessions.

Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tibber is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys,

Thank you so much nightanole for this whole thread of info! I was doing the beginners 12-week 4-phase routine so far, just started phase 2. The huge difference that I can see is that your routine keeps whole-body for months, while the aforementioned one leaves it after just 3 weeks. I suppose you know this routine already anyway, it's listed on bodybuilding.com.

Firstly, my current shape: 154 pounds and 175cm, 25 years old. I'm not really fat and been a competitive high- and long jumper for many years but stopped like 7 years ago, no serious sports since then. Been lifting for 4 weeks now, eating clean and using basic supplements (vitamins, omega3 and proteins). Gained 5 pounds so far in weight (waterweight probably). Goal is to gain at least 20 real pounds of lean muscle mass and be healthy over the long term. My ideal physique would be a very athletic, but not huge body (ultimate goal is athlean-x's physique). No rush. I also have quite a bad shoulder (ski injury) and a painful lower back sometimes (jumping took its toll a bit).

current 10rep maxes after 4 weeks:
    Squat: 155
    Bench: 115
    Deadlift (did non-stiffleggeds so far): 200
    OHP: 70
    BB Curl: 60

Questions:
    1. What are the pros and cons of AllPro compared to that other 4-phased routine I've mentioned? Do you recommend shifting to your routine, taking into account my shape?
    2. I'm doing very deep, complete ass-to-grass and no bounce-back squats, I feel that I probably could do much more in weight but I don't want to give up on form or ROM, is keeping the weight this low the right thing to do or I should give up a bit of ROM to lift heavier? Don't know if it's meaningful at all, but as a reference, I tried myself out in a safer way on a horizontal leg press and I could do 600 pounds easily with high ROM.
    3. I rad in the FAQ that deadlifts are taken over by stiff-legged deadlifts. Is this really an absolute must for the routine? I love regular deadlifts and feel great doing them.
    4. As you can see from the numbers, my biggest problems are my arms and my chest. They are very-very weak, even compared to my humble current all-around physique. Having been an athlete, my legs are highly overdeveloped in comparison. Can you see an easy way to balance my upper body out a bit? Can I have a dedicated upper body day or I shouldn't at all worry about all this as it will balance itself out over time?
    5. I don't really have that much fat on me but I feel that I could use bulking up first - should I still include some cardio?

Thanks soo much in advance for your answer!
    Tibber
    Last edited by Tibber; 02-28-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by Tibber View Post
    Hey guys,

Thank you so much nightanole for this whole thread of info! I was doing the beginners 12-week 4-phase routine so far, just started phase 2. The huge difference that I can see is that your routine keeps whole-body for months, while the aforementioned one leaves it after just 3 weeks. I suppose you know this routine already anyway, it's listed on bodybuilding.com.

Firstly, my current shape: 154 pounds and 175cm, 25 years old. I'm not really fat and been a competitive high- and long jumper for many years but stopped like 7 years ago, no serious sports since then. Been lifting for 4 weeks now, eating clean and using basic supplements (vitamins, omega3 and proteins). Gained 5 pounds so far in weight (waterweight probably). Goal is to gain at least 20 real pounds of lean muscle mass and be healthy over the long term. My ideal physique would be a very athletic, but not huge body (ultimate goal is athlean-x's physique). No rush. I also have quite a bad shoulder (ski injury) and a painful lower back sometimes (jumping took its toll a bit).

current 10rep maxes after 4 weeks:
    Squat: 155
    Bench: 115
    Deadlift (did non-stiffleggeds so far): 200
    OHP: 70
    BB Curl: 60

Questions:
    1. What are the pros and cons of AllPro compared to that other 4-phased routine I've mentioned? Do you recommend shifting to your routine, taking into account my shape?
    2. I'm doing very deep, complete ass-to-grass and no bounce-back squats, I feel that I probably could do much more in weight but I don't want to give up on form or ROM, is keeping the weight this low the right thing to do or I should give up a bit of ROM to lift heavier? Don't know if it's meaningful at all, but as a reference, I tried myself out in a safer way on a horizontal leg press and I could do 600 pounds easily with high ROM.
    3. I rad in the FAQ that deadlifts are taken over by stiff-legged deadlifts. Is this really an absolute must for the routine? I love regular deadlifts and feel great doing them.
    4. As you can see from the numbers, my biggest problems are my arms and my chest. They are very-very weak, even compared to my humble current all-around physique. Having been an athlete, my legs are highly overdeveloped in comparison. Can you see an easy way to balance my upper body out a bit? Can I have a dedicated upper body day or I shouldn't at all worry about all this as it will balance itself out over time?
    5. I don't really have that much fat on me but I feel that I could use bulking up first - should I still include some cardio?

Thanks soo much in advance for your answer!
    Tibber
    1) Allpro is a linear program with a fixed progression pattern (1 rep a week, no more no less). If you pass even one exercise each cycle no 2 sessions are every the same. With the 4 phase program you have to set the progression to keep yourself in the 10-12 rep range. For some people that doesnt cut it mentally, they like using a weight they are comfortable with and dont do well with self progression programs. Rep goal programs are also self progression. On the other hand self progression programs can be ran faster or slower, while allpro has a set pace.

2) For "mass gains" you want to tune your squat via stance distance so it naturally runs out of ROM 1-2" below parallel. Going deeper than that means you have to use less weight, and its all technique work, at best its more glute work the deeper you go, but legs are not getting worked out more.

3) The SLDL on this program is not a mass gainer, its a hamstring accessory. Mass is handled by the row and and squat. The SLDL is just programmed in to balance the squat which doesnt fully engage the hamstrings due to knee flexion. Since normal deadlifts are only programmed in once a week on beginner programs, you could do them on light day at the end of the workout for 1 set to failure of 5 reps or less, and you could skip SLDL that day. If that causes too much fatigue buildup on the program, well i told ya so.

4) You are meant to end allpro at 13% bf, around a 24 bmi, and do 10 reps of bw bench and 1.25-1.5x bw for 10 squats. Lifts you are go at you will progress the slowest at, and weak lifts will gain the fastest. If you want a good arm meat builder with some shoulder and chest, that would be the weighted chinup (not pullup) and sub out the curl for that.

5) Cardio is not for weight loss, at best 3 45min cardio sessions a week would drop and extra 0.5lbs a week. The real point of cardio is to increase work capacity for the 2nd set, and to increase recovery rates. Abs are made in the kitchen and muscles while you sleep as the say.

rbroh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks a lot for this great thread and keeping this routine active all this time. I have struggled to find this question asked previously, so please forgive me if this is repetitive.

I started the routine last week, after not having lifted for many, many years. I still have dumbbells from "back in the day" so that's what I've been using so far. I followed the FAQ to find my starting weights and all went well last week lifting 2 days with both of them Heavy days.

This week my schedule is better and I'd like to do the true Heavy, Medium, Light days. But I am unable to drop 10% from some of the weights.

For example, I am currently using 25lb dumbbells for the OHP. The lighter weights I have are 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 25. Should I drop to 20 for the Medium days and 15 for Light days? Or do 20 for both? Or even just keep doing 2 heavy days?

I'm really hesitant to purchase more weights, as this is only going to be an issue for the first 5 week cycle. After 25lbs , I have weights in 2.5lb increments.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by rbroh View Post
    Thanks a lot for this great thread and keeping this routine active all this time. I have struggled to find this question asked previously, so please forgive me if this is repetitive.

I started the routine last week, after not having lifted for many, many years. I still have dumbbells from "back in the day" so that's what I've been using so far. I followed the FAQ to find my starting weights and all went well last week lifting 2 days with both of them Heavy days.

This week my schedule is better and I'd like to do the true Heavy, Medium, Light days. But I am unable to drop 10% from some of the weights.

For example, I am currently using 25lb dumbbells for the OHP. The lighter weights I have are 7.5, 10, 15, 20, 25. Should I drop to 20 for the Medium days and 15 for Light days? Or do 20 for both? Or even just keep doing 2 heavy days?

I'm really hesitant to purchase more weights, as this is only going to be an issue for the first 5 week cycle. After 25lbs , I have weights in 2.5lb increments.

Thanks again.
    If its just going to be for the first cycle, just drop the VOLUME on medium and light day by 10 and 20% compared to heavy. Im sure you can figure out that complex math for how many reps to drop.

The only down sides to this is no rest for connecting tissue (though on 5x5 routines it just get beat to snot anyway) and no opportunities to increase bar speed.

xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You cant do high rep and low frequency. You can do once a week full body, but it would have to be something in the 85-90% of 1rm for 5-10 sets of 3 reps, with increasing rest times as the sets go on. You could rig it up with the allpro lifts. The first 3 lifts would need to be the style i mentioned, and the last 4 lifts would just be an allpro heavy day. Basically you would need to find a pattern you like that would give you 25-30 reps at 85-90% of your 1 rep max, and rest times between sets can be unlimited. Progression would have to be a once a cycle "test day" where you just do 1 set to failure using your working weight for the first 3 lifts to recalculate your 1rm.
    Thank you for being very clear on the 25-30 reps at 85-90% 1 rep max.

rbroh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If its just going to be for the first cycle, just drop the VOLUME on medium and light day by 10 and 20% compared to heavy. Im sure you can figure out that complex math for how many reps to drop.

The only down sides to this is no rest for connecting tissue (though on 5x5 routines it just get beat to snot anyway) and no opportunities to increase bar speed.
    Ok, great. Thanks

whitepanther90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thinking of starting this program just not sure how to work out 10 rep max and where to start. Do I just do all the exercises for 4 sets of 10 using different weights and then use the calculator for working it out 10RM?

5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by whitepanther90 View Post
    Thinking of starting this program just not sure how to work out 10 rep max and where to start. Do I just do all the exercises for 4 sets of 10 using different weights and then use the calculator for working it out 10RM?
    for testing day for your 10 rep max only do 1 set of 10 for each exercise...

BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO THE EXERCISES IN THE CORRECT ORDER!!

Squat
    Bench
    Bent over row
    OHP
    SLDL
    Bicep Curl
    Calves

Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by whitepanther90 View Post
    Its really just testing until you get it right. Start low and work your way up until you think you have it right. Nothing wrong with starting the routine a little lower than your 10RM
    Blues Hockey is life! I live for pain and disappointment.
    Freemason crew

instagram.com/sph724

hudsoncat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've done a number of cycles now and it is starting to get really really hard to complete my reps on certain exercises (Squat, bench and overhead press mainly).
    Is it meant to get to the point where you cant make your lifts anymore? Because that's where I am headed, soon I think.

It is a bit disappointing because I am still not anywhere near being as big or as strong as I want to be.

Originally Posted by hudsoncat View Post
    I've done a number of cycles now and it is starting to get really really hard to complete my reps on certain exercises (Squat, bench and overhead press mainly).
    Is it meant to get to the point where you cant make your lifts anymore? Because that's where I am headed, soon I think.

It is a bit disappointing because I am still not anywhere near being as big or as strong as I want to be.
    After 1 year of lifting your powerlifting total will be 800-1000lbs
    After 2 years of lifting your powerlifting total will be 950-1150lbs
    After 3 years of lifting your power lifting total will be 1000-1200lbs
    This is assuming you are 200lbs +-30lbs

So yea as you start approaching 10 reps of bw bench and 10 reps of 1.25-1.5x bw squats, your progression will drop dramatically. You might have been able to put on 33% on the bar first cycle and only 5% the 7th cycle. A 5% progression rate is failing every other cycle.

And at some point, linear progression (adding weight to a fixed set of reps/sets) isnt going to be possible. At that point you will need to switch to an intermediate routine so you can figure out how to do at least one peak set a week, and get in the required amount of volume to grow, while at the same time managing recovery.

Its sad, but recovery does not go up linearly with strength. You might be able to handle 10,000lbs of volume a week, but you cant handle that with all the reps being at 80% of your 1rm, instead 7,000lbs of it might be at 55-60%, and only 1-2 ramp to peak sets, per week.

liquida45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Was going to do SL5x5 but didn't think it matched up with my weight loss and aesthetic goal. Did my 10 rep max test last night and since I kinda knew what my limits were I ran through the test like a heavy day, tomorrow I'll do the light load and start week 1 Monday. Anyways here's my starting 10rep maxs.

Squat 185
    Bench 165 but starting with 155 as I'm tall and don't want to stall out early.
    Row 125
    OHP 100
    SLDL 155
    Curl 70
    Calf raise 100

Really excited about this program.

Originally Posted by liquida45 View Post
    Was going to do SL5x5 but didn't think it matched up with my weight loss and aesthetic goal. Did my 10 rep max test last night and since I kinda knew what my limits were I ran through the test like a heavy day, tomorrow I'll do the light load and start week 1 Monday. Anyways here's my starting 10rep maxs.

Squat 185
    Bench 165 but starting with 155 as I'm tall and don't want to stall out early.
    Row 125
    OHP 100
    SLDL 155
    Curl 70
    Calf raise 100

Really excited about this program.
    No offence, but do you really think you can add 25% to those numbers in 2.5 months, because that is what the pace is to pass 2 test days. And you are running it on a cut which is going to make passing even harder.

Personally i would pick my starting weights so i know i wouldnt stall for 3 cycles (36.66% increase from start).

If you really think you can hit 252.5 for 10 squat and 212 for 10 bench in 4 months on a cut, you picked your starting weights correctly. Else id start out lighter and just shoot for bigger bumps (15%) if test day felt easy.

liquida45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No offence, but do you really think you can add 25% to those numbers in 2.5 months, because that is what the pace is to pass 2 test days. And you are running it on a cut which is going to make passing even harder.

Personally i would pick my starting weights so i know i wouldnt stall for 3 cycles (36.66% increase from start).

If you really think you can hit 252.5 for 10 squat and 212 for 10 bench in 4 months on a cut, you picked your starting weights correctly. Else id start out lighter and just shoot for bigger bumps (15%) if test day felt easy.
    I tested my 10 rep max just as described and those are the numbers I got, I'm also very big on using proper form so all reps were true reps. I'm 6'3" 275 with on and off lifting experience.

Also most of my 10 rep maxs were calculated based on high reps.

165x15 on squat
    155x12 on bench
    135x7 on row
    115x5 ohp
    155x10 sldl

If you still think my starting weights are high let me know. I have no ego and don't mind starting lower.

JeanRoqua has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Monday that passed was a national holiday in my country so the gym was closed. It was my 5th week test day and so I decided to go on Tuesday. I passed everything except OHP. I also went today (Thursday) to complete the medium day. As I am unable to go on Saturday to do the light day is it ok to do it tomorrow (Friday)?

I tested my 10 rep max just as described and those are the numbers I got, I'm also very big on using proper form so all reps were true reps. I'm 6'3" 275 with on and off lifting experience.

165x15 on squat
    155x12 on bench
    135x7 on row
    115x5 ohp
    155x10 sldl

If you still think my starting weights are high let me know. I have no ego and don't mind starting lower.
    Nah you are good. The program is good for 10 reps of bw bench and 10 reps of 1.25-1.5x bw squat, at 13% body fat. So those goals should line up nicely at the end.

It would be a completely different story if you were 5.9 175 lbs

darreljames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

165x15 on squat
    155x12 on bench
    135x7 on row
    115x5 ohp
    155x10 sldl

My brother and I just started this program Monday. Our numbers are pretty similar with yours.

I've lost about 15 lbs since January doing insanity workout. I'm 5'6" 178lbs. (195 in January).

My weights are:
    Squat 185
    Bench 145
    Row 105
    OHP 85
    SLDL 145
    Curl 60
    Seated Calf raise 50

Brother is 5'4". 185.he lost about 10 lbs doing insanity with me.

Squat 185
    Bench 185
    Row 105
    OHP 95
    SLDL 145
    Curl 70
    Seated Calf raise 50

My question to nightanole, should we keep going with these weights or reset come Monday with lower weights?

Closed Thread
Page 108 of 290 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 208 ... LastLast