CarlyFoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Runner to weights. One month progress

30yo 5'3" 123#

At 24 I was 104#. Stayed that way for years.
    Started running two years ago, trained for a half marathon and ran four of them in a year..... Also a horse back rider.
    Got FATTER! I ran and ran and ran, trying to overcome the weight gain but I got hungry and felt miserable. At 1200 calories I was always starving and felt like crap!!

My life as a vet student and now veterinarian are stressful enough.

Got on the scale a couple months ago, saw 130, PANICKED and started starving myself while running obsessively. I couldn't do it.

I don't know what changed but one day I had enough. Started research. Got a weight lifting plan. I'm on week 7.

Stats during week two when I went to get basic supplements and got an analysis:
    Bf% 30 (what!! No way!!)
    Weight - 121

One month later (today)
    Bf% 24!!!!!
    Up 6# of muscle!
    Weight 123(trying desperately not to panic over this)

I. Feel. Awesome. My squat went from 70 to 170. And that's just the squat. I have energy. My riding has improved. My pooch is gone.
    What the heck was I doing before!

I wish I had before pictures but I was in denial that anything would change.

So - please tell me not to panic about my weight. Im in a personal struggle /life time obsession with that 104# number on the scale......

Thank you!!
    Foo

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    You didn't add 6 lbs of muscle in a month. It doesn't work like that at all and it's a slow process so you'll need to go the distance. If you're trying to build muscle set up your calorie surplus for a gain of 1 lb a month. When you first increase calories the initial gain is water weight and it takes a few weeks to level off.

Combine your surplus with a heavy lifting program focused around the important compound lifts, stay consistent and have lots of patience.

Good luck.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Powered by Reese's Puffs anandagirl's Avatar
    anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kimm is really really smart and experienced - listen to her.

That being said, weight is just a number. Keep going and if you are going to freak out about the scale, then don't weigh yourself. Maybe take measurements, but definitely start with some photos now. You'll want them to see your progress over time.
    Team Ogre Mascot

IG: anandagirl
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/therealanandagirl
    Accountability Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171177361

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It sounds like you don't know how to accurately track calories. It isn't possible to put on 26# eating 1200 calories a day even if you did nothing but lie in bed. Your weight is going up again so you're either eating more than you need to stay at your weight or you are eating enough to maintain your weight and those pounds are pump from beginning weightlifting. how do you track what you eat?

It is not likely that you are properly squatting 170 in 7 weeks at 123. Squats are easy to add too much weight and sacrifice form and depth. Do you have anyone training you and checking your form?

Sorry for being a Debbie downer knowing your intake and good form are really important to keep making the progress you want.

CarlyFoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks ladies.

Ouch!
    I have an experienced lifter watching and spotting my squats.
    I have used several different methods to track my calories (books, apps) .
    No I have not maintained 1200 calorie for 6 years, I just go to that when I'm trying to diet and no, it doesn't work.
    But Thanks for the input.

Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magnolia916 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Eh, I've seen significant strength gains happen in a month, but right, it's not 6 pounds of muscle in one month.

Congrats on your progress so far!

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CarlyFoo View Post
    I have used several different methods to track my calories (books, apps) .
    Books and apps can't tell you if your chicken weighs 5 or 7 ounces. Eyeballing is completely off, and measuring cups can be off up to 20%. Track as much as you can with a food scale, and avoid user created nutritional databases (sparkpeople, myfitnesspal), as they tend to be off. Try fatsecret, all USDA based information.

Unless you got a DEXA scan, that bodyfat percentage will be off. It's the only accurate method, and everything else is off to some degree. Even in a calorie surplus women can expect to gain about .5-1lb a month in muscle. You're going to have good strength increases to start out due to CNS adaptions, and practicing proper form. Strength and muscle mass just don't always go hand in hand.

Not to say you aren't doing well, you are. Keep lifting, working on those issues with the scale, and working to be healthier mentally, and physically. The rest comes with time.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jessic2952 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First of all congratulations on following a healthier lifestyle!

I do agree with the others, FatSecret combined with a kitchen scale is the best way to track your calories. And lift heavy!! Are you following any particular training program?

Sounds like you're on the right track! So many women think the starve-and-do-cardio method is what's best, when in reality over the years it burns muscle tissue thereby slowing down the metabolism in general, over time. I fell for it like a lot of women did. Now I'm in love with lifting and it's getting my health back on track.