Thread: 5 3 1

mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50)

5 3 1

Any one doing 5 3 1 workout? Just curious what wk r u on? What assitance do u do with each workout?

BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mmenders View Post
    Any one doing 5 3 1 workout? Just curious what wk r u on? What assitance do u do with each workout?
    I'm planning on doing this, I am still figuring out all my max lifts so I can get started. I just finally got a spotter to come with me when I start doing bench presses. I've been doing a bunch of research trying to figure out exactly what assistance work to do for my goals and I think I have come up a decent plan. Plus I found a form online where you can input your max lifts and it calculates what you should be lifting each day each week, this will help SO much. I can't post all this from my little phone here, but later this evening when I am at a computer I will post what I have found.

mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmenders will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ok awesome. i think i prob have a form like yours! Its an excel sheet, really nice and makes it easy to calculate.

has anyone already done it? did u stall out pretty quick? i have a squat goal so im hoping to not stall for 7 months haha

BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleachedPink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sounds like you're good to go with the spread sheet you said you found. I just found one by googling it. I've been reading all sorts of articles written about 531 method. And this thread has a lot on information on 531 : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112382761 A lot of people debate on whether or not it's the best method to start out with, but it makes total sense to me.

These are the assistance moves suggested for each day.

Squat Day

Hack Squat: 4 sets of 10-20 reps
    Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 10-30 reps
    Leg Curls: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
    Weighted Sit-ups: 4 sets of 10 reps

or

Leg Press – 4 sets of 10-20 reps
    Leg Extensions – 4 sets of 10-30 reps
    Leg Curls – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
    Weighted Sit-ups – 4 sets of 10 reps

Bench Press Day

DB Bench Press: 4 sets of 10-20 reps
    Dips (weighted): 4 sets of 8-15 reps
    Fly's: 4 sets of 12 reps
    Triceps Pushdowns: 4 sets of 10-20 reps

or

DB Incline Press – 4 sets of 10-20 reps
    Dips (weighted) – 4 sets of 8-15 reps
    Fly's – 4 sets of 12 reps
    Triceps Extensions – 4 sets of 10-20 reps

Deadlift Day

Chins: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
    DB Rows: 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
    Back Raises: 4 sets of 10 reps (with bar behind neck)
    Hanging Leg Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps

or

Lat Pulls – 4 sets of 10-12 reps
    Bent Over Rows – 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
    Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 12 reps
    Hanging Leg Raises – 4 sets of 15 reps

Military Press Day

DB Military Press: 4 sets of 10 reps
    Upright Rows: 4 sets of 10 reps
    Side Laterals: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
    Barbell Curls: 4 sets of 10 reps

or

Hammer Machine Military – 4 sets of 10 reps
    Rope Upright Rows – 4 sets of 10 reps
    Rear Laterals – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
    DB Curls – 4 sets of 10 reps

awesome thanks. let me know how you like it!

Solid at room temperature l3al3yJane's Avatar
    l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Smile

I'm on my second mesocycle of 5/3/1

On deadlift and squat days I do the following:
    5 sets of 10-20 reps (per leg) walking dumbbell lunges
    5 sets of 10-20 reps quad extensions
    5 sets of 10-20 reps back extensions
    5 sets of 10-20 reps hamstring curls
    I also occasionally do abs these days or substitute barbell glute bridges for one of the exercises

On bench and overhead press days:
    5 sets of 10-20 reps close grip parallel db presses on flat bench (triceps)
    5 sets of 10-20 reps seated dumbbell presses
    5 sets of 10-20 reps lat pulldowns
    And then I usually finish off with lots of lateral raises for a big pump

I've seen great changes in just a month. For those who are unfamiliar, on the last set of your main lift, you "max out" on reps at the prescribed weight which is a certain percentage of your 1 rep max. However, you don't go to failure and Wendler advises to leave a rep in the tank.

These are the comparisons from my first week of my first cycle and my first week of my second cycle (this week)
    Maxes for first cycle, week one:
    Bench 110 for 10 reps
    Squat 175 for 8
    Dead 245 for 7
    Standing BB Press 80 for 8

Maxes for second cycle, week one
    Bench 115 for 12 reps
    Squat 181 for 10
    Dead 250 for 12
    Press - haven't done it this week yet

So as you can see big improvements in just a month and I'm not a total novice. I plan to stick to it for at least 4 cycles, hoping to hit 185 BP, 365 DL, and 275 SQ in a full power meet this spring in the 148 class.

Basically...5/3/1 kicks ASS and I think for sure this program will take me where I want to go and beyond.

However, if I wasn't trying to be as thick and hyuuuuudge as possible and I was only trying to add strength, I'd do less accessory work. So scale the program to meet your goals.

GOOD LUCK!
    "Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now." -Denis Waitley

awesome thanks!! is it bad that my "max out" is only like 4 or 5 on the 3rd week of cycle 1?

Solid at room temperature l3al3yJane's Avatar
    l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mmenders View Post
    awesome thanks!! is it bad that my "max out" is only like 4 or 5 on the 3rd week of cycle 1?
    My first inquiry would be whether you made your weekly calculations based off your"real" one rep max or did you take 90% of your one rep max and use that as your base number? Second, were your max numbers recent, non-competition maxes?

If it is 4 or 5 reps for just one lift in week 3, then I think that is okay, but if that is across the board, you may plateau sooner. I hit 6-8 for the final set on week three for everything except my overhead press. I only got 3 reps, so I am basically repeating the same weights this cycle because that obviously sucks. I also consulted my powerlifting coach and asked him to evaluate my pressing form to make sure it looked ok.

my advice is to definitely take advantage of the week 4 deload and start the second mesocycle with weights increased in the manner wendler suggests. After that 1st week compare to your other first week from the first cycle and if your max out sets are not equal or greater in reps, then consider recalculating your 1 rep maxes based on your final working sets (the max sets) from week three of cycle one.

It's humbling to have to take weight off the bar when you're feeling ready to roar, but you'll be stronger in the long run.
    "Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now." -Denis Waitley

ok thanks for the advice! i will def take advantage of wk4 and i will c what happens next cycle

how long has everyone been lifting? today was my max deadlift day and i did 10 of only 95lbs. do u guys add 10lbs a month (ideally) ??

Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000) Nosje is a name known to all. (+5000)

medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) medusa11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by l3al3yJane View Post
    My first inquiry would be whether you made your weekly calculations based off your"real" one rep max or did you take 90% of your one rep max and use that as your base number? Second, were your max numbers recent, non-competition maxes?

If it is 4 or 5 reps for just one lift in week 3, then I think that is okay, but if that is across the board, you may plateau sooner. I hit 6-8 for the final set on week three for everything except my overhead press. I only got 3 reps, so I am basically repeating the same weights this cycle because that obviously sucks. I also consulted my powerlifting coach and asked him to evaluate my pressing form to make sure it looked ok.

my advice is to definitely take advantage of the week 4 deload and start the second mesocycle with weights increased in the manner wendler suggests. After that 1st week compare to your other first week from the first cycle and if your max out sets are not equal or greater in reps, then consider recalculating your 1 rep maxes based on your final working sets (the max sets) from week three of cycle one.

It's humbling to have to take weight off the bar when you're feeling ready to roar, but you'll be stronger in the long run.
    Sound advice. I always start lighter than the what the program recommends or I stall out fast. I also found it helpful to microload at times (I use chains for it) Ill be going back to wendler shortly to prep for my next meet.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159276021

Originally Posted by medusa11 View Post
    Sound advice. I always start lighter than the what the program recommends or I stall out fast. I also found it helpful to microload at times (I use chains for it) Ill be going back to wendler shortly to prep for my next meet.
    Ok thx. I think I might microload press. Instead of moving up 5 lbs like he suggests ill move up 2.5.

Originally Posted by Nosje View Post
    O wow awesome thx!

omae wa mou shindeiru atomicbbgum's Avatar
    atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) atomicbbgum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Wink

I just finished week 3 of 5-3-1, I love this workout, the plan we're doing is long but boring, when you first start it you'll think is easy but don't be fooled by the "small" numbers, it'll make you sweat and push hard like you're doing a PR! I highly recommend it.

Originally Posted by atomicbbgum View Post
    I just finished week 3 of 5-3-1, I love this workout, the plan we're doing is long but boring, when you first start it you'll think is easy but don't be fooled by the "small" numbers, it'll make you sweat and push hard like you're doing a PR! I highly recommend it.
    Yea I really love it. My husband and I are doing it together. he has been lifting for yrs and me just for a few months and its great for both of us!