Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShackaBrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You bros should read "what is Man" by Mark Twain. It's free to read online and only takes 2-3 hours to finish. Gets pretty deep on the topic of free will.

Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000) Redwood67 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah but what if the Matrix was real and we're in it!?

bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bottle_cap is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ActuaryBrah View Post
    mind = absolutely obliterated. What in the actual f*ck. My concept of God is now warped. How could that guy even come up with this sh*t??? Must have had the intelligence of Einstein srs
    My mind was blown as well

isaac asimov is an awesome dude, he's the writer of I Robot
    First immortality, then the bitches
    - Vegeta

STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50) STEALTHCAT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Thexzeno View Post
    I always said that our brain is far too complex for the universe.

I always looked at it as if the brain in seeking to understand itself in the most logical way possible, has followed a certain set of parameters when describing anything.(Ie: everything in the universe only follows a certain logic, the complexity of everything is broken down into the most logical pattern possible which is largest to smallest. from solar systems to biology to ecosystems to every transportation system, computer networks, religion etc)

Essentially what im saying is that in order for the brain to grasp some sense of why it exists it is "projecting" itself on to the universe. i dunno if this makes any sense but meh
    close. It's not the brain who is trying to figure out itself and all its glory. It is God who is trying to learn about itself. We are fragments of this higher all knowing divine source ppl chose to call God. This super consciousness is eternally learning about itself. We are fragments of this source, hence why we really are all one. We are here learning about ourselves on different planes. This 3rd plane/denisty is this planet and its world and under the Law of Duality we are learning about ourselves , love and compassion, suffering, happiness, etc etc. You are basically living a matrix experience in order to understand these extreme emotions and therefor learn about ourselves/god/the divine, call it what u will.

All is well in the very end. The highest possible vibrations to reach for are that of love/compassion. Everything stems from this super vibration/one creator.divine source. We are all a fragment of this energy learning in this difficult 3rd density planet/world. The lessons learnt here and experiences is what it's all about.

You soul matix will carry these in your soul memory and you move on and on and on infinitely learning via different lives/planes/dimensions etc.

Those who are trying to figure things out via 21st century science and logic are wasting their time. Universe is way more complex than the science that some talk about here. Don't be fooled into thinking that there must be an answer for everything cos science will explain it. Science explains how certain things may happen, but fails to explain why.
    Last edited by STEALTHCAT; 02-22-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000) Mirinmebrahs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kingbruh View Post
    lol at believing this bs. science always changes. lol at these scientist thinking they know that universe is finite or anything about the universe. yet cant figure out how to make my chitty internet not lag in 2013
    Everything has a beginning and an end. It is a known fact that our galaxy is spinning around a black-hole that will eventually destroy it. What's to say that this won't eventually happen to the universe? It's so unstable as it is, basically none of it makes sense in the first place. I would side with the hundreds of scientists that work at Cern, rather than take your opinion, no offense.
    I have no idea what the above poster is talking about ^

lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000)
    read this bro. Its something I spent a fair bit of time working on and got input from some other peeps, one another scientist and a philosophy phd candidate. another miscer chimed in and it got even better past page 2. It may have what youre looking for. Not big notin myself here(its a collaborative work) but its one of the closest things ive ever seen which makes a serious attempt at rectifying science, existence, ultimate questions in an integrative format.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ight=existence
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

Jan 06- buff(apparently) @ ermm i dunno, still have a gut though,

long term goal= jacked @ 7% bf, get the damn abs to show themselves

lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000) lucious is just really nice. (+1000)
    if youre interested in getting a better grip on this try this little exercise:

spend the next half hour immersing yourself in ideas/philosophiers which dont adhere to your westernised aristotelian worldviews and metaphysical systems. try these for starters, most if not all can be wiki'ed

taosim
    it from bit
    emergentism
    retrocausality
    dual aspect monism
    holographic theory
    ontological co emergence
    process philosophy

give those a read and tell me your queries about existence havent been given a shot in the arm
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000) crosso is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Op you're really quiet ignorant. Scientists know what thought is, it can be seen on an MRI lol. When you think of something "new", your brain fires a synapse between several brain cells, and it's path is that thought. if you think of it again, the same cell fires another synapse and it follows the same path. this has been demonstrated in countless experiments. if you think of something else, it obviously fires from somewhere else and follows a different path.
    you probably won't believe me though but oh well, your loss.

there has also been experiments, where a person is offered two choices, and the segment of the brain associated with a certain choice is already active before the person thinks they have made a choice. i don't know if this proves or disproves free will, but interesting nonetheless, that our brain has already made the decision before we're consciously aware of the choice.

"I am thinking" is the same thing as "It's raining". Mull over that for awhile and you first realise there is no 'its' in its raining, similarly 'i'm thinking' is an artificact of language.

there is just thinking.
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mirinmebrahs View Post
    Everything has a beginning and an end. It is a known fact that our galaxy is spinning around a black-hole that will eventually destroy it. What's to say that this won't eventually happen to the universe? It's so unstable as it is, basically none of it makes sense in the first place. I would side with the hundreds of scientists that work at Cern, rather than take your opinion, no offense.
    I have no idea what the above poster is talking about ^
    That's contradictory to everything i've heard lately which is, "The universe always existed."
    "There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle." -Gym Jones
    "The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts." - Marcus Aurelius

?start=(#seconds)

TAMU Corps
    Skydiving
    Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (Jasper AB to Juarez MX) 2014
    Appalachian Trail 2013

faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faxanadu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crosso View Post
    Op you're really quiet ignorant. Scientists know what thought is, it can be seen on an MRI lol. When you think of something "new", your brain fires a synapse between several brain cells, and it's path is that thought. if you think of it again, the same cell fires another synapse and it follows the same path. this has been demonstrated in countless experiments. if you think of something else, it obviously fires from somewhere else and follows a different path.
    you probably won't believe me though but oh well, your loss.

there has also been experiments, where a person is offered two choices, and the segment of the brain associated with a certain choice is already active before the person thinks they have made a choice. i don't know if this proves or disproves free will, but interesting nonetheless, that our brain has already made the decision before we're consciously aware of the choice.
    Dear god. When are you people going to realize that observation ~= knowing/understanding. Seeing a kiss ~= kissing. Think about it.

Just because the brain has activity ~= a decision has been made.

I have to start the engine before i can press the gas and turn the wheels.
    Last edited by faxanadu; 02-22-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    "There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle." -Gym Jones

?start=(#seconds)

TAMU Corps
    Skydiving
    Appalachian Trail 2013

Originally Posted by lucious View Post
    "I am thinking" is the same thing as "It's raining". Mull over that for awhile and you first realise there is no 'its' in its raining, similarly 'i'm thinking' is an artificact of language.

there is just thinking.

?start=(#seconds)

TAMU Corps
    Skydiving
    Appalachian Trail 2013

sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000) sgregor249 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    they say that if you know the position and velocity of every particle in the universe then you know the state of everything for all time, and thus free wil does not exist. of course the uncertainty principle forbids anything from ever knowing this. as a person i have trouble grasping how knowing the above can mean you know the future of everything, when i have the free will to move my arm to the left or the right at this point in time. can anyone explain this to me?

is it because the particles in my brain that form my thoughts are already in motion so my arms path is predetermined? i feel as though i have the ability to control my thoughts. is that not true?

germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000) germanyt is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WhatsaGime View Post
    Some say the universe is random. Some say it's just very complex and that life (something that is considered random by many) was inevitable.

Neil Degrass Tyson's thinks the size of the universe is simply too vast, and that we're literally star dust (stars blow up, creating more stars and planets and eventually life - we're made up of the same stuff as stars) that there must be life out there. Sounds very systematic if put this way.
    Us being made of star dust isn't a thought. It's quite real. The only elements at the very early stages of the universe were hydrogen and helium. No other element existed until the first supernova. All of the carbon, iron, oxygen, etc that is in your body was forged in the collapse and explosion of a dying star.

Originally Posted by faxanadu View Post
    read my linked thread before you accuse me of potato, bro
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf

Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Athos1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can say we have free will and make our own choices,

But the person we are and the choices we make are simply the result of our genetics and experiences.

We like to think of 'you' and 'me', but if you had my genetics and experiences you would be me
    "Mark Rippetoe is the ****ing man." - Aristotle

*Disregard everything crew*

armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000) armoBOSSDOGG is just really nice. (+1000)
    ITT OP has yet to understand the vastness and complexity of the universe, as well as overemphasizing Man's importance in said universe.
    **Misc Zombie Survival Squad**

Originally Posted by lucious View Post
    read my linked thread before you accuse me of potato, bro
    whats potato?

?start=(#seconds)

TAMU Corps
    Skydiving
    Appalachian Trail 2013

Originally Posted by armoBOSSDOGG View Post
    ITT OP has yet to understand the vastness and complexity of the universe, as well as overemphasizing Man's importance in said universe.
    Or maybe people underestimate us.

?start=(#seconds)

TAMU Corps
    Skydiving
    Appalachian Trail 2013

Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have only read the first post, but the OP is unknowingly talking about the Anthropic Principle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

I can't remember who it was, but a prominent 20th century physicist speculated a kind of universal casual loop, where sentient-observation gives reality to not only now, but way back until creation. This is to explain the apparent proposition that if quantum mechanics is correct and the universe is in a superposition of all possible states until measured by an 'outside' observer (sentience), then there is a clear paradox in that the universe's state could not have been brought about in such a way to produce sentience because everything before sentience is undefined.

So, we are here to observe the universe because there can be no universe without us here to observe it (according to most interpretations of QM).

EDIT: On re-reading, perhaps not the anthropic principle, but certainly related and my post still concerns the effect sentience on the universe.
    Last edited by Ricky116; 02-22-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Merauder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice thought but free will isn't real

Originally Posted by Merauder View Post
    Nice thought but free will isn't real
    I keep seeing a bunch of people say this. I honestly don't believe any of you believe it though.

1. Nothing beyond this life
    2. No control in this life

Your existence is meaningless then.

inb4 someone comes back and says, "Not true I can better my family and the human race." I? I? ... you have no free will ... there is no "I" anymore.

?start=(#seconds)

TAMU Corps
    Skydiving
    Appalachian Trail 2013

Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000)
    And for the 1000th time I end the thread. Fuk

Originally Posted by Ricky116 View Post
    I have only read the first post, but the OP is unknowingly talking about the Anthropic Principle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

I can't remember who it was, but a prominent 20th century physicist speculated a kind of universal casual loop, where sentient-observation gives reality to not only now, but way back until creation. This is to explain the apparent proposition that if quantum mechanics is correct and the universe is in a superposition of all possible states until measured by an 'outside' observer (sentience), then there is a clear paradox in that the universe's state could not have been brought about in such a way to produce sentience because everything before sentience is undefined.

So, we are here to observe the universe because there can be no universe without us here to observe it (according to most interpretations of QM).

EDIT: On re-reading, perhaps not the anthropic principle, but certainly related and my post still concerns the effect sentience on the universe.

Thats John Wheeler bro, see it from bit
    Nov 04-fatass @40%bf