BillyBones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face how should a guy like me approach losing fat?

Hey all, my name's William (Billy for short), I'm 17 and weigh 260 (roughly, my scale's a little busted so I round up for a fair estimate). I'm not sure about my bf %, probably somewhere in the mid to upper 30's (last time I got it checked it was something like 39%).

Based on that info you can conclude that I'm in the "hella obese" range of people, but the weight I have lost due to my exercising has stayed off. I went from 285 on that same broken scale to now a 245, but I'm confident that if I were to get my diet in line and back on the iron, I could really get some results.

Now here are the problems, and thus the assistance I am requesting. As for the diet, I don't know what kind of diet I should have (just a simple 40/40/20 perhaps?), and on top of that absolutely no clue how to put meals together. Somehow "take some meat and veggies and slap it on a plate" doesn't seem the correct way to do it, not to mention that I don't know how much of the macros are contained in the different kinds of foods, and my father won't abide by just "grabbing whatever's on the shelf" at the supermarket, he wants me to plan my meals in advance.

Second issue is that of my working out, I had a recent bicycle accident (stupid parked car got in my way ), so my legs are busted up, most in the knees and shins. My routine consisted of compound exercises, benching, squats, deadlifts, military press, and rows, with some added crunches. I want to still lift weights, to help preserve muscle mass and hopefully drop body fat, but I can't do any thing leg intensive. How can I still work out my muscles while allowing my legs the rest they need to recover fully?

I'll post these in other forums if that is where they should be, but seeing as I am overweight I think my questions would best be answered in the context of an overweight person, thank you for reading and for any help I get.
    My name is William, and I am in the process of reinventing myself. Pleased to meet you.

apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apdunshiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just from ur 260 lbs & 30%, yes...deffiently need to lose
    April 2007 - Age 16 - 261lbs
    October 2009 - Age 19 - 180lbs
    Now - October 2010 - Age 20 - ~196.6lbs

Check Out My Personal Songs On Youtube!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/apdunshiz18#p/u/4/aOOe0xFdLeg

anyone?
    My name is William, and I am in the process of reinventing myself. Pleased to meet you.

hight: 6feet 5 inches dead_at_zero's Avatar
    dead_at_zero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good job and keep it up!!

Your not alone my friend there are many huge blobs of fat on that wish to shed those layers of blubber (my self included).

If your legs are really busted up (broken or swelling) stay off then as much as you can so you don't hurt your self any further.
    but if its just like road rash (torn skin) then give it a day or two and just start to work your legs out slowly.

Ow and how tall are you?... just curious.

Also i would recommend using http://www.fitday.com/ it will track what you eat and tell you how many calories and your macros.
    Here is some stuff you might want.
    Tuna, Chicken, Peanut Butter, Almonds(or what ever kind of nut you prefer)
    eggs ... and that's all i can think of.

you will want to stay away from foods that are high in calories this means
    any fast food, any thing fries or deep fried, ice cream and that kind of stuff.

As for weight lifting there are many things you can do with out using your legs.

Bench press seated curls pull ups and a hole **** load you can do with free weights.

Also when you do cardio especially running you should do a brisk walk instead of jogging or running just as long as one foot is on the grown at all time.
    When ever you jog multiply your weight by 3 and that's how much pounds per inch is on you knees and ankles so 260x3= 780 lbs/inch of force every time your foot hits the ground (gust giving you a warning !!

hope this helps but its probably not any help at all
    there is no need to fear ghosts for it is the living that are the true terror

I'm 5'11,

thanks for the advice, I was thinking that walking would allow me to work out the kinks in my knee, I just want to know if working pretty much only on my upper body would be smart, or not.

hight: 6feet 5 inches dead_at_zero's Avatar
    dead_at_zero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well it doest not really matter its a matter or preference like my world civ teacher he benches 320lbs in the school gym but he has chicken legs
    and yea if you legs are not broke there should not be a problem with a walk.

Just remember the more you work at it the better the results are gonna be
    there is no need to fear ghosts for it is the living that are the true terror

braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10) braddd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I must say... use fitday.com for 2-3 days and come back with your results. Macro/cals. Let us know totals.

That will help shape what you need to lose.

Also go to the doctor or a friends or the school or the gym and get a CORRECT weight. That will help get your BMR so we can set a cal + deficit. Good luck my friend!