Suitez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Cutting + Bulking - Dietary Needs & Ketosis (Give me a hand?)

Hi guys,

Recently just signed up to Body Building so apologies if I have posted in the wrong sub section.

I'm a 20 year old male, im 5.6, and 13 stone (last time I checked I was around 25% body fat)

The past 2 months i've been hitting the gym and i'm loving it as I get to go with my work colleagues whilst also feeling myself getting much stronger than before. My only problem is i've recently been researching diets (as i know it's an important factor) and what to do when it comes to bulking and cutting methods. I've been interested in the Ketogenic diet and Ketosis and i've been on it (strictly I might add) for around 2-3 weeks but i've not seen the greatest results and haven't dropped weight.

Firstly: Is this the best method when (as a newbie) wanting to start to gain some lean muscle? My diet consists of mostly protein + fat and green vegetables (eating salads mostly everyday) and I also have high in Protein shakes three times a day. Is a Keto diet worth it when trying to cut & bulk at the same time or should i try something else?

Secondly: Is the Ketogenic diet/Ketosis good for long term gains? I really do enjoy the diet and don't mind cutting the carbs but i've read in other places that carbs are actually good for body building. One of my colleagues also eats tons of Carbs but still has a flat stomach and he is pretty ripped (He's been doing it for over 5 years).

Thirdly: I'm abit unsure on bulking and then proceeding to cut, I would much rather bulk & cut at the same time, is this still a fast process or does it take alot more time? if so what would you recommend?

Currently i'm not doing any cardio except for warmup + cooldowns on a cross trainer when after an hour workout.

Once again sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum, i've been doing tons of research but some websites seem to contradict the others and i'm a little lost. Could really use some peace of mind on the topic. If you could help that would be absolutely fantastic!

Edit: One last question, does anyone actually count calories? Ive been told not to and just eat until i'm full but again, abit unsure on the topic and theres ALOT of info out there that contradicts itself!

Thanks ever so much!

- Jon
    Last edited by Suitez; 06-10-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Another Question

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As a beginner some recomp is possible - but as a rule you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

You'll have to decide if you want to gain or cut, and then eat in either a calorie surplus or deficit.

Personally I believe the ketogenic diet is pretty pointless. It's a calorie deficit which causes weight loss, whether you're eating carbs or not.

I recommend you read the sticky posts at the top of this forum to give you an understanding of the basics of nutrition.

Suitez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MrBillson View Post
    As a beginner some recomp is possible - but as a rule you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

You'll have to decide if you want to gain or cut, and then eat in either a calorie surplus or deficit.

Personally I believe the ketogenic diet is pretty pointless. It's a calorie deficit which causes weight loss, whether you're eating carbs or not.

I recommend you read the sticky posts at the top of this forum to give you an understanding of the basics of nutrition.

Thank you very much for your reply (very quick actually)

Personally which did you do on your fitness adventures. Bulk and then cut or cut and bulk?

I'll also definitely take your advice and read up on this forum
    Last edited by Suitez; 06-10-2013 at 12:41 PM.