magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can protein supplements cause belly fat?

My goal is overall maintenance with some strength and size increases. Not looking to get huge. I'm doing what I think would be considered an effective and moderate workout - not too heavy or light, full body 3x a week. I'm thin, so cardio only twice per week.

I've been supplementing with one whey protein shake post workout, or one as a meal replacement on non-workout days. Overall body improvements have been good, except in my stomach. Probably common, but I'm wondering if the extra protein is the culprit, if I need to increase the cardio, or if it's necessary to supplement with protein at all.

Thanks.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by magicdad
    My goal is overall maintenance with some strength and size increases. Not looking to get huge. I'm doing what I think would be considered an effective and moderate workout - not too heavy or light, full body 3x a week. I'm thin, so cardio only twice per week.

I've been supplementing with one whey protein shake post workout, or one as a meal replacement on non-workout days. Overall body improvements have been good, except in my stomach. Probably common, but I'm wondering if the extra protein is the culprit, if I need to increase the cardio, or if it's necessary to supplement with protein at all.

Thanks.
    I answered your question in the Nutrition forum where you just posted this question.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks.
    Protein is a requirement for adding muscle tissues. Glutamine is a requirement for keeping muscle tissues, and Creatine/Monohydrate is needed at the cellular level to provide the umph you need in workouts to keep decent recovery rates as you tear down muscle tissue.

Take enough protein in grams to body weight. 200 lbs = 200 grams of protein daily. It's going to be hard to put on muscle with less.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    YES !

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just in case you check back in THIS forum.......this is my response from the Nutrition forum:

Your protein shake is not making your stomach grow. Whey is one of the most effective fast absorbing proteins you can consume after a workout, and is very beneficial.

You need to monitor your overall calorie intake. This is where you will find your problem.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wouldn't use whey on non-workout days.

kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you are allergic to Whey then that could cause your stomach to puff.

magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magicdad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    I wouldn't use whey on non-workout days.

Why not? Do you feel that whey should ONLY be used post workout?

It's simply that it is best used as a post workout protein because it is fast absorbing. Eat real food when you can at any other time beside immediate post w/o.

I mix a scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (24 grams protein) with a tablespoon of: peanut or almond butter, blueberries, lowfat yogurt, oatmeal, flax seed oil and about a cup of 1% milk on non-workout days, or same amount of water for post workout.

So, if I switch to only drinking a shake post workout should I stick to using water? I understand that milk slows the protein absorption rate and is therefore not best to use post w/o.

I mix a scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (24 grams protein) with a tablespoon of: peanut or almond butter, blueberries, lowfat yogurt, oatmeal, flax seed oil and about a cup of 1% milk on non-workout days, or same amount of water for post workout.

So, if I switch to only drinking a shake post workout should I stick to using water? I understand that milk slows the protein absorption rate and is therefore not best to use post w/o.
    Water is fine, but just be sure to have some type of sugar (preferably dextrose/maltodectrose) in your shake. Keep the PB and flaxseed out of your PWO shake, as this is not a good time to have fat in your shake. Even healthy fat is undesirable immediate PWO.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pretty much. Whey is insulogenic which makes it ideal pwo when you need the kick of insulin to curb catabolic tendencies as a result of having been lifting for 45min to an an hour or so. But at other times you don't need this effect -- the insulin can facilitate fat storage depending on what the rest of your diet looks like -- so you'd be better off with real food.

That said, without knowing more about you -- stats, exact diet, etc. -- there's no way to know whether it's the whey that's causing your belly dat or something else.

I like milk pwo as I think the combination of casein and whey is superior to whey alone.