Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The "ZONE" eating plan

WHat do you guys think of it..those who have read and understand the diet? I have ben on it for three days and man I feel great. NO BLOATING ANYMORE! Sorry, just a little excited! Has anyone tried it? ANy success stories?

My goal is to lower my bodyfat so I can see what muscle I have gained and what I have to work with..then to bulk once again.

What do you think>
    Everybody wants to know what I am on. What am I on? I'm on my bike ... six hours a day. What are you on?'
    Lance Armstrong (NIKE ad)
    The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.
    Tommy Lasorda
    Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.
    Satchel Paige

karen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

zone diet

The Zone diet is terrific.I live in the Zone exept on Sunday when Ihave a treat.This keeps my strength up and seems to improve mental alertness.I even can gain mass and look my best when I eat like this and make sure I`m eating enough calories.Hunger is never a problem.Karen

Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mrs.Fitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I can't wait to see the results!

I am just looking for a sensible eating plan without all the ketosis junk. I am not at all interested in "Super fast" fat loss...just permanant fat loss.

Thanks!
    Everybody wants to know what I am on. What am I on? I'm on my bike ... six hours a day. What are you on?'
    The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.
    Tommy Lasorda
    Satchel Paige

e_dawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think you need to follow the Zone diet. Just adopt the important concepts: minimizing insulin release and maintaining satiety.

- Eat less carbs and sugars and replace it with more protein and fat (i.e., pass on that muffin or carrot cake, easy on the pasta/rice/potato, but say yes to meat).

- Eat less high glycemic index carbs and any cereal/grain that is not high fiber. Whole wheat bread, not white. Brown rice, not white. This reduces the insulin spike.

- Eat lots of fiber and eat it before meals -- e.g., carrot and celery sticks with dip, salad with vinaigrette dressing. What I like to do when there are no veggies available is grab two small handfuls of All Bran Buds and munch it with a half glass of water to wash it down a couple minutes before I eat. Fiber helps slow digestion, reducing insulin spiking and keeps you feeling full longer.

- Don't skip out on the fat (notice I mentioned dip and vinaigrette in the previous point) because it is necessary for CCK release and promoting satiety response.

JEFF7322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JEFF7322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JEFF7322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JEFF7322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JEFF7322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JEFF7322 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The ZONE is a fad diet made up to sell memberships. Many people (me too) have found this diet to be ineffective because you have almost zero complex carbs. This is not healthy. Also because of certain imbalances your body almost goes into starvation mode and hangs onto the fat for dear life rather than drop it. A revamped version of the Ketosis diet from the '70's.

The ads do look great but that's because the gym takes a very overweight, inactive person (which you are not.) with bad eating habits and puts them on a diet and exercise program and shows you how different they look a couple monthes later and of course it's all thanks to the ZONE! or so the gym employees recite ad nossium. Um, no. It's because we took a very unhealthy person and got them exercising and laying off the donuts and beer and THAT will improve anyone in that situation. If you are one that it doesn't work for they are not very open in fact confused because that plan is all they've been indoctrinated with.
    Clever but not real honest. I'd keep my money.

Sorry just fell for this program about a year ago and went through hell with them over it taking on the management even over it and hate to see someone getting caught too.

OK venting over.

freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) freaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think the Zone diet as in 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat is good, but the total overall caloric intake is too low, and the reliance on monounsaturated fats over polyunsaturated fats is just moronic. I also never heard that you were supposed to avoid complex carbs, if the Zone diet is saying that, it's even more moronic than I thought. Anyway, the ratio is good, but you want to focus on vegetables and complex carbs for the 40% of your total caloric intake and focus on both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats for the 30% of your caloric intake.

karen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

zone diet

I got the book Mastering the Zone by Barry Sears at a yard sale for a dollar.The expensive programs are a waste of money as far as I`m concerned.The book is in the stores for around 20 dollars?I use it for reference.It does allow for some complex carbs such as oatmeal and whole wheat bread.There are fats in the form of olive oil,almonds,low fat mayo and this fat helps keep you from being too hungry.It is definately not for bulking.It is good for a person who wants to get rid of stubborn fat.I don`t follow it to the letter now because I`m already lean and I work very hard in the gym and some days I have to have more carbs and I like some whole eggs mixed with whites and lean red meat.I do follow it pretty close for a few weeks if I want to get even leaner and get really defined.It is a good place to start for a person who is overweight and out of shape.The diet can be modified as the person gains mass and gets more conditioned.Karen

Opinions please!

Thanks for all of your help guys! I appreciate it a lot! Right now I am just at a point where this fat is not coming off and I am half tempted to just try the keto thing for a kickstart. Can you look at my diet a dn tell me where I am going wrong right now?

Meal#1- 1 cup egg substitutes, 1 slice wheat toast dry, 4 oz OJ

Meal#2- Sometimes nothing becasue of time, but if I have something it is celery with PB.

Meal#3- Large Salad with cucumber, tomato, and black olives. 5 Oz grilled chicken breast. 2 Tbs Homemade Lowfat ranch dressing.
    1 apple

Meal #4- 4 oz chicken 1/2 cup grapes or A PROTIEN BAR

Meal#5- 1 Large Chicken breast (6 oz) grilled with 1 cup corn and 1 cup green beans. Maybe a side salad as well with ranch dressing.

Meal#6- Handful of air popped popcorn with 4 oz turkey breast.

Am I getting enough calories? Am I getting to many?

I do cardio 3-4 times a week and weight train three times a week. I have made gains as far as muscle definition, but my main goal right now is get rid of the fat and THEN work on my muscle. I am currently:

5'4
    141 Lbs
    26% bodyfat YUCK!

I would like to be :
    135ish
    14-16% BF
    and 5'9 (I know there is no hope for this one

Any help would be great!
    Tommy Lasorda
    Satchel Paige

Mrs.Fitness, here are a few points I have come up with:

1. Diet looks good. I would have veggies (and a little dip) with every meal, though. You gotta have a lot of fiber -- helps keep you full for longer. Hopefully, that will allow you to space out your meals a half hour more each time, thus enabling you last meal to be lighter -- say half a turkey breast, which you can save for tomorrow's breakfast.

2. Also, I would try to do a little "exercise" after meals. 30-90 minutes after you eat a meal is when maximum "absorption" takes place. Your body is in its anabolic state. Try doing some SLOW deep knee bends/squats (try to take 15 seconds to drop down into the squat position and 15 seconds coming back up; do that a few times and you will feel the burn... not bad for a 2 minute workout), walk around the office, go up and down the stairs... something. Take a couple small exercise breaks in that 30-90 minute "window" and you will keep your energy level up.

3. Also, make it a habit of getting up and moving around every 30 min or so. Talk to a coworker, coffee break, washroom break, stretch, deep knee bends. Something. This is part of switching over to a super active lifestyle. You gotta be on your feet as much as possible and get off your butt as frequently as possible. At home, don't sit on the couch for more than 30 min either. Get up and wash a couple dishes every commercial, for example. Do a couple deep knee bends/squats every other commercial. Be super active.

4. Hit the weights harder. What is your weight program like? Please post it. Did you know that some researchers consider weight training to be more important than cardio in a physique transformation program? The reason is that the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn, and the higher your daily metabolism will be... I would like to see you doing deadlifts if you aren't already (although, don't do the mixed grip like they suggest -- that is for pro lifters and is dangerous for beginners; keep both palms facing downwards... also, you can use a pair of dumbells instead of the bar). DL's have been shown to do almost a full body workout in a single exercise. If you aren't panting and sweating after a set of deadlifts, you aren't doing them right

5. Make sure you get adequate vitamin, mineral, and fatty acid intake. Zinc, magnesium, chromium, and B-vitamins are all important to energy metabolism. What vitamins are you currently taking?
    Last edited by e_dawg; 02-07-2003 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks!

I will definately look into adding some veggies with my meals.

I normally do cardio in the morning on am empty stomach, then eat my first meal, then head out to work. My job is a desk job, but I do not sit all day! I would go crazy! Not only that but my office is on the second floor and all of my clients come in the first floor so I run steps all day. The everynight after dinner I do Pilates.

As far as weight, that is my strong point. I *LOVE* to life weights. So much that I often forget about cardio. I think that is why I am where I am now. I have focused so much on the weights that Ihave neglected the fat burning cardio and have watched my BF rise.

Because I am trying to burn bodyfat I am following the Body for Life weight training method. I work upper body and lower body once a week until fatigue. I have really seen a difference with doing this. After I loose some bodyfat I MAY go back to a three day or four day split, but I reall ylike what I have seen with this program.

I do take a multivitamin everyday! That part I have down pat!

As far as deadlifts? What are they? What do they work? I currently am not doing them and would like to start.

Thanks!
    Tommy Lasorda
    Satchel Paige

I don't know if you missed it, but the word "deadlifts" in my previous post that is underlined is a link to a webpage describing the deadlift exercise. That is the traditional deadlift which focuses on the quads, glutes, and lower back. Various other body parts are recruited in the process. There are a couple other variations on it (link> straight leg deadlift, SLDL), for example, which target the hamstrings, back, and glutes.

sean benay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Be careful girl!

I started the zone diet about 2 years ago. Shortly after I became constipated for the first time in my life. IT has been a problem that has gradually gotten worse, and I have recently been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrom! Whether this was caused by THe Zone...one can only guess, but it seems very likely to be connected.

Any q's about it just give me a shout
    Keep it healthy! Sean

sxygmini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calories

This sort of relates to the diet questions that Mrs. Fitness was asking about....she asked how many calories she should be eating and I don't think anyone responded to that question yet. Does anyone know what is a good calorie range for women like us trying to gain a little bit of muscle but mainly lose body fat?

It's not as simple as "1,500-1,700 calories", although that is probably a good start. To calculate an accurate value, one needs to know your Resting Metabolic Rate [weight, % body fat (and therefore lean body mass), and age are factors] (i.e., how many calories you burn just staying alive), and what your daily activity level is (i.e., how many calories you burn exerting yourself). Body transformation (turning fat into muscle) is all about keeping caloric intake matched to how much you are burning up through RMR and physical activity, and making sure the calories you take in through food are the "right" kind (i.e., more protein and less carbs than the typical American diet)
    Last edited by e_dawg; 03-24-2003 at 08:03 PM.

robbio69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Try Paleo Eating

Originally Posted by Mrs.Fitness View Post
    WHat do you guys think of it..those who have read and understand the diet? I have ben on it for three days and man I feel great. NO BLOATING ANYMORE! Sorry, just a little excited! Has anyone tried it? ANy success stories?

My goal is to lower my bodyfat so I can see what muscle I have gained and what I have to work with..then to bulk once again.

What do you think>
    Have you tried Paleo?? You can eat anythnig the cavemen ate. bean/peanuts and dairy are out.. it will improve your strength as well ans your overall perfomance

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For your stats, guessing on age, 1700 at 40/30/30 should do it. Your training routine needs to change now. Training upper and lower once a week is not enough. Come up with a split that has you lifting 3-4 times a week. Cardio isn't necessary but a couple of sessions a week won't hurt.

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow..strong recall..this thread is from 2002..lol
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    D'oh!

pamo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up experience with the zone lifestyle

What do you think>
    the science [research]behind this way of eating is very sound and it is a very balanced healthy way to eat and keep blood sugar levels consistent. When i eat protein balanced with the right carbs and fat at every snack and meal I feel energetic and focused mentally. I work out two to three hours each day and when I dont binge at night on entire boxes of granola and stick to the vegetarian [tons of dairy food for protein]zone diet during the day I see muscle emerge and my body becomes more articulated within days. People tend to forget that fruits and vegetables as well as whole grains are carbohydrates. good luck,Pam

pamo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Zone eating works

I am just looking for a sensible eating plan without all the ketosis junk. I am not at all interested in "Super fast" fat loss...just permanant fat loss.

Thanks!
    tHIS IS a scientifically sound sensible way to fuel your body , after all food is a drug delivery system with all that implies for good and to the detriment of our health if we eat too many refined foods and the wrong kind of carbohydrates and fats. ...When i eat protein at every meal and snack[ which being vegetarian means lots of parmesan chhese and string cheese,and cottage cheese and ricotta ] and tons of vegetables with this, I have gained muscle lost weight and maintained focus.