Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Realistic Expectations...

Ok, I am 46, 6'2", 205, 23% fat and getting back in shape.

I am the definition of an ectomorph, i could not get over 160lbs until I hit my 30's no matter how hard I worked out. The ~50lbs i have gained in the last 15 years is not muscle but I am on track now.

I never had the raw horsepower that I wanted even though i literally could do 100's of situps or pushups in my 20's, I could never just push the raw poundage that I want to now.

My goal is to be able to bench and military press my weight, and to be able to squat and deadlift 150% of my weight all for reps by the end of the year.

I think I can, and have recently started up on Ripptoes program. My diet is good.

What do you think, I am being realistic?

thanks,
    Ken

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I may depend on your general level of fitness and strength now.

example:

The end of the year is about 40 weeks away. If you can bench or lift 150 now, then your strength level is fairly good and you have to add about 5 lbs every four weeks to get to 200 by the end of the year.

If you can lift or press about 100, which is more typical for an untrained individual in his 40's, then your strength level is much lower to start, AND you have to add 5 lbs to your lifts every TWO weeks to get to 200... etc.

Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bowdirk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks,

I am benching 125 for 3x5 now, and it seems reasonable for me to get to 200 by the end of the year.

I just don't know if the rate of muscle growth decreases so significantly at my age that I am setting myself up for a big disappointment.

I have plenty of hormones still, waking up with morning wood (occaisionally) and face still breaks out in zits from time to time...

Ken

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bowdirk
    Thanks,

I am benching 125 for 3x5 now, and it seems reasonable for me to get to 200 by the end of the year.

I just don't know if the rate of muscle growth decreases so significantly at my age that I am setting myself up for a big disappointment.
    Ken, 75lbs is a large increase for bench in the period of time you mention. If you can up to 175 you will be doing very well. It's good to set your aim high, but, you shouldn't be disappointed if you don't hit your goal as long as you are showing progress. Fitness/health is becoming a way of life for me and I think that's the most important thing. I've never ever been a BBer like many members you'll find here, but I can hold my own pretty well. I feel stronger and healthier every week as I get more serious about working out. It's not a short term goal for me, but a life long one. Sure, I get psyched and go to work out with the mindset of besting my last performance and it feels GREAT when I can. However, I don't get seriously disappointed when I cannot. I have learned to be patient. It's really weird how this works: You work out hard, eat right, and get adequate rest.......and almost every week you feel stronger and stronger and......... Stick with it and you shall see.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It is an ambitious goal, especially since you wrote you want to do the same on a total of four lifts.

Well, from personal experience, recovery takes more time <chuckle>. I also know that people who are naturally lean or thin have to take care with their knees and shoulders when training. Often that means backing off now and then to allow a sore knee or shoulder to recover.

I have no experience with Mark Rippetoe's program or book other than what I have seen online. I think he has a coaching background and trains a lot of kids and younger lifters. If the program you are referring to is the one that depends heavily on squatting each time in the gym, then I would be a bit cautious.

I would overtrain very quickly if I did squats three times per week, AND tried to add weight every week. You may want to get comments from someone over forty who did that routine for a few months.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PeteB
    I would overtrain very quickly if I did squats three times per week, AND tried to add weight every week. You may want to get comments from someone over forty who did that routine for a few months.
    I've been doing squats 3x per week with no problems. I'm 47. I do lower, upper, rest day......lower, upper, rest etc... This works great for me. I don't take "weekends off". Whatever day the revolvong schedule falls on....so be it.

Thanks for replies.

One of the things about Ripptoes program is that you only do 3 exercises a workout. i think that helps in the recovery process a lot in that the body only has to rebuild/grow the major muscles. You alternate the workouts A-B-A-B etc.

A:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Dead 1x5

B:
    Squat 3x5
    Military 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5

You go up 2-5% in weight every workout, if you can't get the last rep at a weight with good form, you stay at that weight for your next workout until you do get it.

There is 4-5 days of recovery between each exercise except for on squats which are done every couple of days. Once you hit a solid plateu for a few weeks on all exercises it is time for a different program. He states that for most people they can stick with this beginner program for 6-12 months before they hit that wall.

I hope it works for me!

Ken

T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bowdirk,
    I think it will all come down to your dedication and will power,
    Contrary to another reply, I dont think adding 75 lbs on to your bench press is at all unrealistic... Upon my return to weight lifting (after being out of it for 10+ years) I was able to increase my bench 75+ pounds inless then six month time... I returned to the gym at 200lbs of fat bodyweight and currently weigh 200-205 lbs, but am much stronger and leaner. Although I contribute most of this to muscle memory, believe me when I say this took plenty of effort as well.
    By the way,, I am only 5ft 9in so I am finding it impossible to believe that you are in worse shape then I was... So you will possibly be able to eat a little more and fuel yourself better for more intense workouts
    Keep up the hard work, and it will pay off!
    Last edited by T.C.; 03-20-2006 at 10:14 AM.