b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is heavy weight necessary for growth on side lateral raises?

i was wondering if you need a lot of weight for them.i'm currently using 25lb db's,doing 4 sets of 10 with great form.i'm gonna do the 30's next time.although i tried a30 lb db fresh last time and it seemed a lot heavier i was only able to get 6 good ones out,almost 7.
    SMASH IT UP!
    LONG LIVE JOEY RAMONE.

Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by b.d.
    i was wondering if you need a lot of weight for them.i'm currently using 25lb db's,doing 4 sets of 10 with great form.i'm gonna do the 30's next time.although i tried a30 lb db fresh last time and it seemed a lot heavier i was only able to get 6 good ones out,almost 7.
    I'm not the answer-man around here, but I can sympathize. There needs to be 2.5 pound magnets to attach to dumbbells for isolation exercises, such as lateral raises.

getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    I'm not the answer-man around here, but I can sympathize. There needs to be 2.5 pound magnets to attach to dumbbells for isolation exercises, such as lateral raises.
    http://www.theplatemate.com/products.htm
    "Why would you want to eat a vegetable unless it was wrapped in bacon?" Michael Symon

Alwyn Cosgrove steals other peoples work.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124530811

Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by getgot211
    Oh man! Thanks so much. I started a thread about this a week or two ago, asking if anyone knew where to get them, and no one replied, so I gave up hope. My meager rep points to you.

Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As long as your form is good go as heavy as you can. If your form goes off, lower the weight again.

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    GOD NO! LIGHT WEIGHT ON SIDE LATERALS! Heavy weight = destroyed rotor cuff!

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    More important to watch the form than trying to go heavy... Go heavy on military presses instead.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no
    <->

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Oh man! Thanks so much. I started a thread about this a week or two ago, asking if anyone knew where to get them, and no one replied, so I gave up hope. My meager rep points to you.
    Those things are so over priced it is not even funny... I think it is like $25 for a 1/4th lb weight...

Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brutarian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Vadim Beliaev
    More important to watch the form than trying to go heavy... Go heavy on military presses instead.
    Reps.
    It's spoze to be hard. That's why they call it a workout.

Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take it from some of your other posts/replies that you haven't been lifting all that long. So what I don't understand is how in the hell are you doing side lat raises with 25lbs 4x10 using strict form...and now ready to move on to 30lbs? If so, thats impressive...to me anyways.

Bugsy

failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Vadim Beliaev
    IM with that man. Go heavy and more sets on militarys. Then finish shoulders off with higher reps on the laterals to kill em. I get better results with 12-15 reps on laterals. Low reps are pointless for this exercise and you just end up using momentum.

b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b.d. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bugsy
    I take it from some of your other posts/replies that you haven't been lifting all that long. So what I don't understand is how in the hell are you doing side lat raises with 25lbs 4x10 using strict form...and now ready to move on to 30lbs? If so, that's impressive...to me anyways.

Bugsy
    actually I've been lifting "seriously"for about two years.i'm just trying to get the most information i possibly can.i'll always have questions,but i do have a lot of good tips as well.i just didn't think 25lbs was all that much really.anyways that's what this board is all about right?helping out with tips and looking for new ways to improve our strength &appearance?
    SMASH IT UP!
    LONG LIVE JOEY RAMONE.

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    actually I've been lifting "seriously"for about two years.i'm just trying to get the most information i possibly can.i'll always have questions,but i do have a lot of good tips as well.i just didn't think 25lbs was all that much really.anyways that's what this board is all about right?helping out with tips and looking for new ways to improve our strength &appearance?

I know people who have huge delts, and have never gone heavier than 20lbs on laterals...

Good form on laterals is keeping your arms pretty close to being straight, raising the weights till your arms are straight out to the sides so you look like a T.. holding the weight there for one full second, then slowly, and under control lowering the weight. 12 - 15 reps seem to work best for most people.
    Doing delts twice a week is also a good way to build them up. I wouldn't do the millitary presses on both days, but I would definatly do the laterals twice a week.....

Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    b.d., I hear ya. I was just like "damn"...because to me 25-30lbs is a lot for side lateral raises using strict form. I've been working out seriously for about 2 years myself....but I don't use weights that heavy as I can't keep strict form ie. arms almost straight and using a motion simliar to pouring a jug of water.

Bugsy

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Going heavy is NOT the point of doing lateral raises. They are to isolate the medial delt. If you concentrate too much on weight progression and start using other muscles to help out, you have missed the point of doing them completely.

NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYNY2916 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    does this mean that after a certain point you stop progressing on side laterals and just stick with 25lb dbs every workout????

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk
    does this mean that after a certain point you stop progressing on side laterals and just stick with 25lb dbs every workout????
    No. Everyone is different. My point is don't expect to increase the weight on side laterals EVERYTIME you step into the gym because that is not what they are geared for.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Going heavy is NOT the point of doing lateral raises. They are to isolate the medial delt. If you concentrate too much on weight progression and start using other muscles to help out, you have missed the point of doing them completely.
    Exactly. That's another reason why I like cables for laterals--you don't even think about how much weight you're raising. Something else I've noticed aside from swinging the weights up and cheating, is people almost shrugging at the same time because they're using too much weight and relying on the traps to help out.

Keeping it strict with the proper amount of resistance is the only way the exercise can be useful.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Exactly. That's another reason why I like cables for laterals--you don't even think about how much weight you're raising. Something else I've noticed aside from swinging the weights up and cheating, is people almost shrugging at the same time because they're using too much weight and relying on the traps to help out.

Keeping it strict with the proper amount of resistance is the only way the exercise can be useful.
    Booyah.

trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No, but you will get stronger over time if you keep them strict. For me, progression of weight with these is pretty slow compared to my other lifts. Then again, I have long ass arms, so my leverage is horrible. I think I started with 15-20 lbs two years ago and now I'm up to 25-30. My military press has more than doubled, however. Go figure.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PoW
    GOD NO! LIGHT WEIGHT ON SIDE LATERALS! Heavy weight = destroyed rotor cuff!
    it's rotator cuff but yea...

Take that 25lb DB, raise it up 1-2 seconds, hold it there for 1 second, then do a 3-4 second negative, but don't go all the way down, stop at a 30 degree angle, pause for a second, then do the next rep. If you can do that with 25lb for multiple reps you're fine, but if you can't, lower the weight. Strict form over poundage.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lee Haney only repped with the 30s for laterals. If you're worried about hypertrophy try and increase your time under tension instead of always worrying about adding weight.
    "I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche bag except that's in Ohio." - Dudley Dawson aka Booger

"Idle Hands spend time at the genitals, and we all know God hates that" - Drippy

lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nope ......stay light
    if you want good training advice , dont ask the biggest guy in the gym. ask the guy who's made the most improvement

icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50) icepack will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Booyah ka sha, aight
    keep it light and do it right. form over weight anyday
    Starting Weight: 125lbs - dec 2004
    Weight Now: 190lbs - April 2009
    Future Goal: 200lbs
    Height: 5ft 8inches
    Training Time: 4years 5Months

Updated: April 09
    Pic is in my Profile!!
    65lbs gained - 4years 2Months

" Bodybuilding starts from the fridge! that doesnt mean deadlift it! " LOL

chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chango888 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by getgot211 View Post
    shizz my dumbells are rubberized

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by chango888 View Post
    shizz my dumbells are rubberized
    In on old thread!

Duct tape bro.

LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    ^^^

This bro gets it.

There's most likely a lateral delt machine in your gym you might risk going heavier on, but don't destroy your RC.
    Gym lifts: 260/130/285
    Meet lifts: 245/130/285

Coming back after injury journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169273893

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by LadyLore420 View Post
    ^^^

This bro gets it.
    He 'got' a lot of stuff about exercise detail. This was a better forum when he posted in it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733