kyred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing Inches.. but not weight

Hey everybody. This phenomenon's kind of new to me, so I figured I'd ask around.

Background Info:
    ----------------

Around June to September of 2006, I cut. I did a lot of cardio and heavy lifting. No circuits for the weights, just the two-bodyparts-per-day thing with about 3 exercises each, going heavy. I went from 170 to 147, carb cycling the last two months. December of '06, I realized I got *too* thin, even for my 5'6" frame. Abs weren't quite visible yet, but my arms, shoulders, back, were particularly scrawny.

From January to April 2007, I started bulking up. Taking in about 500 extra calories per day (I admit I wasn't eating that discriminately though), I got myself up to about 158. I was 150 starting off, from the past holiday season. Got stronger, people started noticing the changes in my body structure. Pants got a bit tighter though.

At the end of April '07, I went on a trip. Beaches, food, friends, you name it, it was there. I got up to jog every morning, but managed to end up at almost 170 after two weeks.

After returning from my trip, I got myself down to 165 from the beginning of May to the middle of July, just from the lack of excessive eating. I didn't cardio that much, mostly just heavy lifting. I maintained that weight till about the middle of August.

Where I am Now
    ----------------
    From the last week of August to now (last week of October), I began carb cycling again and doing circuits with weights every MWF, and interval cardio (running) every TThSun. I've gotten myself down to 157 at the lowest, with the inches at the waist going down.

Here's the thing though: My weight has seemed to plateau at 157. However, My waist measurement has consistently gone down by tiny fractions of an inch. I was at 157 at the beginning of this week, and at the end am still 157 but with a smaller waist measurement.

How's this possible? The only possibility I can think of is that muscle replaces the fat, thus keeping my weight intact, but I'm not really doing any heavy lifting, plus my carb cycling/calorie cutting should be inhibiting my muscle growth.

Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chris@UGA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I didn't read all of that, but you're probably just putting on a little muscle and losing fat. I did that too for a while once I started back up and stayed at 210lbs for literally 6 weeks while getting visibly leaner.

Take it as a blessing and keep doing what you're doing.
    6'3"
    4/20/07 ~ 224lbs ~ 24+% BF
    7/20/07 ~ 203lbs ~ 14% BF
    9/11/07 ~ 221lbs ~ 20% BF
    12/11/07 ~ 196lbs ~ 12% BF
    1/20/08 ~ 212lbs ~ 18% BF
    4/1/08 ~ 200lbs ~ 11% BF
    7/17/08 ~ 232lbs ~ 18% BF
    11/10/08 ~ 208lbs ~ 12% BF
    1/1/09 ~ 217lbs ~ 16% BF
    7/1/09 ~ 206lbs ~ 12% BF
    7/29/10 ~ 240lbs ~ 18% BF

Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phil.Graham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah im the same way,, i cant seem to move to much from 200.. give or take 5 pounds. but that's what working out does if your adding cardio! i wouldent be suprised if your looking smaller and gaining weight! muscle weights more. cheers

Nut & exer made a science Ultimate Genetics's Avatar
    Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ultimate Genetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are in the golden zone. Keep at it. If you keep losing inches without losing weight you are doing a very good thing. If you start dropping weight you may even consider adding an extra piece of fruit or meat to your diet to stabalize the growth again.
    S.T.E.M.

~Does not neg for opposing views~

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    losing fat and not losing weight is the ULTIMATE.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Thanks for the input guys.

I just thought it was impossible for that to happen. I've read tons of articles that said if you're cutting, you should expect to lose muscle mass as well, and therefore, weight. But damn that's encouraging though. I seem to carry a lot of fat in my legs and ass for some reason, so I'm literally aching to shed the fat so I can wear better fitting jeans. Screw my elephant pants!

Just an update.

Since I seemed to reach a plateau at 157, I adopted a new circuit routine similar to what Jason Statham (The Transporter, War) used to cut. A lot more intense with 6 exercise done in a circuit, repeated 4-5 times. Crazy stuff and pushing it literally makes me feel like I'm about to die.

BUT. I've broken the plateau and am now at about 155! I've also done away with the 20 minute, 2-mile interval run that I do every T-Th, and opted to do the three highly intense circuits a week. I'll observe the progress, but hopefully with the new workout, plus continued carb cycling, I can get down to under ten percent BF and start bulking by last week of October.