Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBryan1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

CORRECT bench form

Can someone lead me to a pic+description on proper straightbar bench form? I bench with dumbbells heavily but when I get on the straightbar its more difficult, thinking I have bad form, can someone help me out please? thanks

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The most important thing is to make sure you don't raise your back up off the bench. Keep it flat against bench. If you need to, bring your feet up to set them on the bench, it should help keep your back flat. I knew guys in high school that would strap a weight belt around them to keep their back down, lol, DO NOT DO THAT! lol. Also, and I may get some disagreement here, but I don't believe you need to bring the bar all the way down to touching your chest. Simply start at the up position all the way up, and bring down 90 degrees. I think you get just as good a pump that way, actually a little bit better from the consistant strain on the upper body. Hope that helps you some.

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Biggest improvement i've made is keeeping my shoulder blades together, it's put ****loads on my bench in just two weeks.

BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRagu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yea that is one prob i had when i first started benching........when u bring the bar down pull your shoulder blades together.........but i feel depending on how your body is designed ..... u shouldn't bring it all the way down..........my friend can do it with no problem.... i on the other hand can't....i have long arms and my elbows go well below the bench....do benching how u feel it works best and most comfortable........people can tell u what works for them but it might not work for u.........

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by maven1
    The most important thing is to make sure you don't raise your back up off the bench. Keep it flat against bench. If you need to, bring your feet up to set them on the bench, it should help keep your back flat. I knew guys in high school that would strap a weight belt around them to keep their back down, lol, DO NOT DO THAT! lol. Also, and I may get some disagreement here, but I don't believe you need to bring the bar all the way down to touching your chest. Simply start at the up position all the way up, and bring down 90 degrees. I think you get just as good a pump that way, actually a little bit better from the consistant strain on the upper body. Hope that helps you some.
    soo....basicly..just about every powerlifting in the world that arches there back doese itwrong?.....andfor the record sir,puting a belt on wont keep your back "down" whatever the **** you mean by that

GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50) GGHT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BigRagu
    Yea that is one prob i had when i first started benching........when u bring the bar down pull your shoulder blades together.........but i feel depending on how your body is designed ..... u shouldn't bring it all the way down..........my friend can do it with no problem.... i on the other hand can't....i have long arms and my elbows go well below the bench....do benching how u feel it works best and most comfortable........people can tell u what works for them but it might not work for u.........
    Yeh, I found it a little tricky to get the bar down as easy I used to, and my arms are short, I 've had to widen my grip a little.

Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    use a width of grip that when u lower the bar to lower pec/upper abs. ur wrists are in line with elbows.

keep ur elbows tucked. if u do what i said above ur elbows willl be tucked.

retract shoulder blades. gives a more stable base. decreases range of motion.

drive urself into the bench with legs.

dont move ur feet around u gotta stay tight and stable

Talking

Originally Posted by Porky
    use a width of grip that when u lower the bar to lower pec/upper abs. ur wrists are in line with elbows.

keep ur elbows tucked. if u do what i said above ur elbows willl be tucked.

retract shoulder blades. gives a more stable base. decreases range of motion.

drive urself into the bench with legs.

dont move ur feet around u gotta stay tight and stable
    Someones read Dave Tate's article. Hey Porky perhaps you should point out that the upper-abs, lower chest thing is designed for PL'ers who arch they're back. The average lifter isn't going to be able to get leverage taking it there..
    Last edited by GGHT; 01-22-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GGHT
    Someones read Dave Tate's article. Hey Porky perhaos you should point ou that the upper-abs lower chest thing is designed for PL who arch they're back. The average lifter isn't going to be able to get leverage taking it there..
    well if he isnt useing pl form he shouldnt be liftig heavy in the mother ****in first place asshat
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-22-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its designed for anybody. i arch as much as a can wich is very little.
    i dont work on my arch at all tho.

still should be keeping wrists in line with elbows and elbows tucked.
    and shoulder blades retracted. its the safe way to bench
    u dont have to arch to do the above

the upper abs/lower chest is more of a guideline id say. not everyone is gonna have same groove
    Last edited by Porky; 01-22-2005 at 03:24 PM.

Question

Originally Posted by Oldtime
    well if he isnt useing pl form he should be liftig heavy in the mother ****in first place asshat

What?
    Learn to spell.
    Last edited by GGHT; 01-22-2005 at 03:27 PM.

What?
    Learn to spell.
    learn how to spell? your a ****in moron stfu i said should instead of shouldnt that isnt miss spelling douche bag

EDIT: silly me i also type-oed lfting but missing an i isnt "miss spelling" well maybe in your ****ed up standards it is.
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-22-2005 at 03:40 PM.

What?
    Learn to spell.
    Originally Posted by BigBryan1
    Can someone lead me to a pic+description on proper straightbar bench form? I bench with dumbbells heavily but when I get on the straightbar its more difficult, thinking I have bad form, can someone help me out please? thanks

Someones read Dave Tate's article. Hey Porky perhaps you should point out that the upper-abs, lower chest thing is designed for PL'ers who arch they're back. The average lifter isn't going to be able to get leverage taking it there..

well if he isnt useing pl form he should be liftig heavy in the mother ****in first place asshat

your an idiot if you cant comprehend that.

Talking

Now learn to use grammar, oh yeah and spell.

What?
    Learn to spell.
    i see you edited your post?whys that,cause you can spell and your rippin on me cause i cant?ironic....

EDIT:learn how to neg rep douche bag.

i see you edited your post?whys that,cause you can spell and your rippin on me cause i cant?ironic....

EDIT:learn how to neg rep douche bag.

Yeh...it is actually. Well done, how can I possibly elude such a genius?
    Last edited by GGHT; 01-22-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Yeh...it is actually. Well done, how can I possibly elude such a genius?

EDIT neg reps/pos reps who cares, you're thick and Im not.
    hey buddy.check the starters post to this thread,he wants to bench heavy,then you come in saying he cant bring the bar down to upper abs if he isnt usein pl form,i simply say you shouldnt be lifting heavy if you arnt in pl form,you have nothing to say to that,so you PRETEND you dont understand what im typing cause i left out a "I" in lftin,your pathetic,crawl under a rock moron

EDIT: ahh i see your editing your posts ounce again because you relise you sound like a tool bag,also,why arnt you responding?i know your watching this thread closly cause you edit your posts constantly...,are you finally out of hot **** remarks?
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-22-2005 at 03:50 PM.

maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000) maven1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    soo....basicly..just about every powerlifting in the world that arches there back doese itwrong?.....andfor the record sir,puting a belt on wont keep your back "down" whatever the **** you mean by that
    Anytime you arch your back while benching you are putting on unecessary strain. You are transferring the work load to more of a decline bench form, of which you can obviously do more weight. So, if powerlifters are doing this it is simply to try and lift more weight, but they are using different (stronger) muscles in turn. As far as a belt keeping your back down, I stated this was done in high school by some guys, and I also stated (in caps might I add) NOT to do this. I thought it was more funny then anything else, at least for me, maybe not for them when they developed back problems.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Anytime you arch your back while benching you are putting on unecessary strain. You are transferring the work load to more of a decline bench form, of which you can obviously do more weight. So, if powerlifters are doing this it is simply to try and lift more weight, but they are using different (stronger) muscles in turn. As far as a belt keeping your back down, I stated this was done in high school by some guys, and I also stated (in caps might I add) NOT to do this. I thought it was more funny then anything else, at least for me, maybe not for them when they developed back problems.
    no, there's a proper arch, and an improper arch (that 99% of the people do).
    <->

benching in a power lifters form puts LESS strain on your shoulders,and more on your pecs and shortens ROM,making it considerably easier,benching in PL more is much more safer.

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-technique.htm

EDIT: that is geared twords benching with shirts,but it has personaly help me add 10 lbs to my bench.
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-22-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dark Prowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your an idiot
    Can you sense the irony, anyone?

DP.

your an idiot if you cant comprehend that.
    Originally Posted by Dark Prowler

DP.

notice the IF?..................

EDIT:btw the quote in your sig is wrong.
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-22-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Originally Posted by Dark Prowler

DP.
    you got some real nerv with your 1 rep and 150 posts to get on here calling pepole idiots
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-22-2005 at 06:18 PM.

you got some real nerv with your 1 rep and 150 posts to get on here calling pepole idiots
    and you've got some nerve calling somebdoy out when you're only 15, lol
    <->

Broscience &gt; Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Powerlifters try to lift incredibly heavy weights using the combined strength of all the muscles in their body. Thus, their form is exactly what you should *not* be doing if you want to target specific areas, rather than simply show off. With benching, you need to keep your feet stationary and flat on the ground. Keep not just your back, but your shoulder blades on the pad at all times. Contrary to what most people on this thread have said, this will not add pounds to your bench press - it will make it a hell of a lot more difficult. But the only way to really go up in weight is to get through the difficult reps with perfect form. Also, your grip on the bar should be the widest you can go without putting undue strain on your wrists. People with large chests and shoulders should have a naturally wider grip.

By the way, if you're still unsure of whose advice to take, consider this simple bit of logic:

Everyone has a natural tendancy to cheat on all exercises. This can only be remedied by obtaining knowledge of proper form and executing it. Therefore, if you improve your form, the exercises should become harder to do, and you shouldn't be able to put up as much weight. "Improving" your form to be able to put up more weight? That sounds like one of those miracle muscle-gain or fat-loss pills that never work.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 01-22-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Originally Posted by Al Shades
    Powerlifters try to lift incredibly heavy weights using the combined strength of all the muscles in their body. Thus, their form is exactly what you should *not* be doing if you want to target specific areas, rather than simply show off. With benching, you need to keep your feet stationary and flat on the ground. Keep not just your back, but your shoulder blades on the pad at all times. Contrary to what most people on this thread have said, this will not add pounds to your bench press - it will make it a hell of a lot more difficult. But the only way to really go up in weight is to get through the difficult reps with perfect form. Also, your grip on the bar should be the widest you can go without putting undue strain on your wrists. People with large chests and shoulders should have a naturally wider grip.
    no, it protects the r/c, maximizes back area on bench and shortens the ROM, which obviously would make it 'easier'
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    no, it protects the r/c, maximizes back area on bench and shortens the ROM, which obviously would make it 'easier'
    aj u just owned him. good stuff