Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf View Post
    I'm just not sure how much research has been done on shift workers in this regard... especially swing shift (going between working night shifts/day shifts). I'm just curious how much adaptation occurs in the body pertaining to cortisol/testosterone levels at certain points during the day. I've done it all sorts of ways, but I prefer to weight train in the morning, and to perform my cardio at night (when I'm on day shift .... or if I'm working night shift, I'll train when I first wake up (in the early evening), and do my cardio before I go to bed (in the morning).

Aqua don't know big words

I'm easing my way back in

I don't see a problem with that, but doesn't that contradict your previous statement, or were you just speaking in terms of doing cardio "immediately" before bed?

Anyway, I really have found over time that my lifting workouts are best a couple of hours after waking, after I've eaten a couple of meals.
    Yeah, if you have 2-3 hours to calm down and relax it's fine. But you probably can't jump off the treadmill, shower, then hop into bed and expect to sleep.

(although I'm sure any moment some douche will come in and say that's exactly what he does every night)
    I don't know either lol

PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10) PatMac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8 View Post
    Yeah, if you have 2-3 hours to calm down and relax it's fine. But you probably can't jump off the treadmill, shower, then hop into bed and expect to sleep.

(although I'm sure any moment some douche will come in and say that's exactly what he does every night)
    I will be that douche! Just kidding, I used to try to do this when I was at school, I'd do it at night just cuz I was busy during the day but I did end up having a hard time going to bed after and usually took me a good 2 or 3 hours after it to be able to sleep

Creampie Connoisseur basshead444's Avatar
    basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000) basshead444 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In my experience, its easier for me to sleep after a cardio session/workout, your mileage may vary though....
    -We got a backup plan?
    -Yes. Kill everyone in sight.
    -I like it. Can we switch and make that the main plan?

[We come out at night]

**Misc Illuminati**

nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nystangkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, I'll give it a try next week...Right now I sleep for 9am-5pm. Oh and I see much better results getting a full 8hrs of sleep rather than my old 4-5 hrs of sleep. Thank for the replys everyone.

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf View Post
    I'm just curious how much adaptation occurs in the body pertaining to cortisol/testosterone levels at certain points during the day. I've done it all sorts of ways, but I prefer to weight train in the morning, and to perform my cardio at night (when I'm on day shift .... or if I'm working night shift, I'll train when I first wake up (in the early evening), and do my cardio before I go to bed (in the morning).
    Originally Posted by trouble
    Chronotype issues here.

ASPS for anyone lifting in the wee hours of the morning (before 5am). Lark type, going to bed between 7-9pm is as unhealthy as going to bed after 11pm. Just asking for worsened sleep issues, especially if its not routine (couple times a week). Worst issue: forcing the body to expend energy long before the brain is naturally supposed to be awake and functioning, and the body is still supposed to be in repair mode.

Those who work out in the early morning but lack the energy for it - by dint of evening / nightowl chronotype, determined by previous daily schedule (1-2 yrs) - this shift to an early morning workout (before 5 am) can be counterproductive:

1. You need CNS stimulation - oh goodie, just as your cortisol is coming up. *squint*

2. You may lack coordination, focus, and proper preparation for intense workouts. Risks.

3. You may not be adequately rested, if you are shifting daily activity patterns.

4. You may not be in the best shape to drive a car (see 2 and 3). Risks.

5. Your test is low and your cotisol is increasing between 5-7am. What is optimal about this time of day for heavy lifting? Generally, most people do better lifting after work, unless they have strenuous day labor type jobs.

If you have a normal chromotype, then working out at 7am may be acceptable, if energy is coming up as well, you have had time to adequately nourish yourself, prepare mentally for your workout and are constrained by after hours activities that limit gym access (family obligations).

In the early morning personality, three causes of this condition are known:

1. Induced by lifestyle, primarily work hours.

2. Its a function of hypogonadal (low hormone) status in adults (now also in young adults...we'll cover the reasons for this alarming trend in another thread)

2. a gene trait, termed Familial ASPS.

ASPS is frequently encountered in the elderly and in post-menopausal women. Its also associated with low growth hormone status in adults with low thyroid and sex hormone production.

Familial advanced sleep phase syndrome (FASPS) In 1999, Louis Pt?ček?s research group at UCSF reported findings of a human circadian rhythm disorder showing a familial tendency. The disorder was characterized by a life-long pattern of sleep onset around 7:30pm and offset around 4:30am.

So I have buddies in law enforcement who have worked afternoon and graveyard shift permanently for years. They report that sleep disruption is constant, have relatively poor sleep quality, rarely feel rested, and have problems with weight gain and depression.

A 30+ yr study of occupational stress associated with shift work was conducted by the NIH; a very large patient cohort (thousands of nurses) was followed with carefuly bloodwork and questionaires over this time period. The incidence of stress-related disease (particularly mental and chronic respiratory illness, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes) was tightly correlated to job induced changes in daily routine and sleep habits. This landmark lifestyle risk-assessment study became the basis for an improved understanding of the inability of the body to smoothly adapt to forced alteration in sleep habits. Its authors were also able to correlate dietary habits and personality tendency (response to stress loading) to disease risk as well.

So the evidence would seem to suggest that while physical accomodation to shift work can occur, the pay differential may not be worth the extra risk inherent in the abnormal modulation of cortiol and insulin diurnal patterns.
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8794
    also
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8399
    Last edited by Canadian Iron; 07-27-2007 at 04:53 AM.