mkspriggs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying to take my life back

I'm Mike. I'm about to be 35 next month, I'm a disabled veteran and a touring musician in a metal band that tours all over the US. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after my first deployment. That coupled with many issues of PTSD and family problems sent my life out of control. And I won't lie as a soldier I'm ashamed to admit this. Even now I'm sitting in my bathroom away from my family just ashamed of where I've gotten in my health. Several years ago I found I had a Fatty Liver. The Dr told me it's common and not to be worried just try to loose some weight and you'll be fine and that was it. Recently I learned the dangers of a fatty liver and it scared me straight. But as always my worry is getting off track.

I'm currently 6' 290lbs highest I've been over last few years is about 305 from what I can remember. But sadly those are the time most people don't weigh them selves or log it to remember. I've been up and down from every diet you can do but finally I am finding a confortable place with a slightly modified Keto diet that is doing great so far.

As a vet I know all the right things I should be doing. But like many of us after being forced to run 10+ miles a day for many years you loose all drive for wanting to do that when you are out. As a touring musician with a good amount of fans that follow us I have always had issues with my appearance because I was never a big guy until the last few years. Luckily now I have an amazing family and support group to get myself back on track but I know the road is always a hard one with ups and downs. And I've allowed downs to destroy me. I joined this forum probably 10ish years ago or more and was kicking ass back then. Now I'm looking to do it again and prove we don't have to be fat and useless because we are disabled veterans.

I'm posting this to keep myself accountable. Some of you may see me on tour or a already have for all I know and by me posting this I hope on the hard days it helps me not loose sight. I've seen some amazing transformations on YouTube from bodybuilding.com and while I'm not that far gone I still hope I don't give up and carry on for my sake and my family's. Thank you for taking the time to read this

I apologize if some of this doesn't make sense... I literally wrote this and erased it 10 times. Why is it so hard to admit we have messed up haha

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You just need to find ways to move more that are fun. I like hiking, so I do that, but maybe for you it's tennis, skating, rowing, who knows. Find something. You'll never consistently force yourself to do something you don't enjoy.

willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mkspriggs View Post
    I'm Mike. I'm about to be 35 next month, I'm a disabled veteran and a touring musician in a metal band that tours all over the US. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after my first deployment. That coupled with many issues of PTSD and family problems sent my life out of control. And I won't lie as a soldier I'm ashamed to admit this. Even now I'm sitting in my bathroom away from my family just ashamed of where I've gotten in my health. Several years ago I found I had a Fatty Liver. The Dr told me it's common and not to be worried just try to loose some weight and you'll be fine and that was it. Recently I learned the dangers of a fatty liver and it scared me straight. But as always my worry is getting off track.

I'm currently 6' 290lbs highest I've been over last few years is about 305 from what I can remember. But sadly those are the time most people don't weigh them selves or log it to remember. I've been up and down from every diet you can do but finally I am finding a confortable place with a slightly modified Keto diet that is doing great so far.

As a vet I know all the right things I should be doing. But like many of us after being forced to run 10+ miles a day for many years you loose all drive for wanting to do that when you are out. As a touring musician with a good amount of fans that follow us I have always had issues with my appearance because I was never a big guy until the last few years. Luckily now I have an amazing family and support group to get myself back on track but I know the road is always a hard one with ups and downs. And I've allowed downs to destroy me. I joined this forum probably 10ish years ago or more and was kicking ass back then. Now I'm looking to do it again and prove we don't have to be fat and useless because we are disabled veterans.

I'm posting this to keep myself accountable. Some of you may see me on tour or a already have for all I know and by me posting this I hope on the hard days it helps me not loose sight. I've seen some amazing transformations on YouTube from bodybuilding.com and while I'm not that far gone I still hope I don't give up and carry on for my sake and my family's. Thank you for taking the time to read this

I apologize if some of this doesn't make sense... I literally wrote this and erased it 10 times. Why is it so hard to admit we have messed up haha
    Good luck OP. I was a big Metal Head in the 80-90s and was listing to Black Sabbath Radio on Pandora the other day and miss it. I imagine performing burns a pretty good amount of calories? ****, push the roadies out of the way and carry in all your own equipment Anyway, wish you the best of luck.
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."