Sharkz444 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New Member with Home Gym question

New member that just joined trying to get some input on a home gym. Been looking at an Inspire FT3 trainer and I'm supposed to drive 90 minutes tomorrow to demo the unit. Searched the forum and have read a few threads that were posted including a review from a former member. But no recent update on the thread.

From my brief research of the site I see most members prefer free weights. So I figured I would ask for some input and give you some back ground information to help.

51 years young. Life change started in August of last year. Dropped 52 lbs so far (current weight 172 lbs) and started hitting the gym about 2 months ago. My goal is to add size and strength. Gym is 35 minutes away so I decided to invest in my health and start a home gym. The room I have to work with is 15ft x 12ft and 8ft height. Room only has a treadmill and a few dumbbells. When I go to the gym I prefer to work with the cable machines over the free weights so that is why I was looking into the functional trainers.

I've been searching Craiglist, Letgo, and ******** Market place with no luck but I live in a rural area which doesn't help. My total budget I have set aside is around $4K for my gym. Can anyone offer any insight into any machines to look at or avoid?

Thanks for any insight.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Welcome and congrats on losing all that weight. Here's a recent thread on functional trainers to help get you started:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=176821401

jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Congrats on changing your life and welcome to the world of home gym. Myself and nearly every person on this forum believe that a power rack + adjustable bench + Olympic barbell + 300lb Olympic weight set is the foundation of every home gym. This setup allows you to perform nearly an infinite number of exercises including compound movements (squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press , etc) which are necessary for your goals of size and strength. The good news is This will easily fit into your available space and only use a fraction of your budget.

While functional trainers provide supplemental options for strength training nobody in the history of weight lifting ever got “big” and/or “strong” using just one of these cable machines. I suspect you prefer these at your current gym because you’ve never learned how to properly lift barbell free weights. Lucky for you your never too old to learn!
    Last edited by jdforsy; 03-02-2019 at 04:26 AM.
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #66 ▪█──────█▪

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #44 []---[]

My home gym https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1552985721#post1552985721

jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Sharkz444 View Post
    My goal is to add size and strength.
    If that is your goal, rack, bench and weights are the way to go without a doubt. Depending on your experience, if you still have a gym membership, start using more free weights and see how it goes. Watch videos, read, hire a good trainer if you can find one to get started. Start with the big 3 lifts, bench, squat, and deadlift. Don't pay attention to how much weight is on the bar for the first couple of months, get the movement down before really loading it up.

Good luck!! You have a achieved more than most people will already, keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!

dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jdforsy View Post
    Myself and nearly every person on this forum believe that a power rack + adjustable bench + Olympic barbell + 300lb Olympic weight set is the foundation of every home gym.

... functional trainers provide supplemental options for strength training
    ^this. I tend to only use cables at the end of the workout, and that's if I do any cable movements.

Also, if you look at resale value and total initial investment, the rack, weights, bar, bench combo will save you a good amount - even if you invest in decent gear.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with the previous poster's, rack, bench and Olympic weight set, if you're serious about making gains.

Having said this, your main question asked about the Inspire FT3?, I've seen no mention of this unit, I'm familiar with the FT1, FT2 and the M3, but I couldn't find any details of an Inspire FT3 online.

If you have sufficient budget and space, alongside a rack set up a functional trainer may be a good fit for your needs, and in my view the Inspire FT's are very good.

chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As already mentioned, your goal of size and strength will require the basics. A barbell and power back are the way to go.

Any exercise is better than none but a functional trainer is a large, expensive, quasi useful piece of equipment that should be the last addition to a gym that already has everything else.
    SQ 475# 5/26/17 wraps
    BP 340# 7/13/19 paused
    DL 455# 10/19/19 beltless
    OHP 205# 1/12/19

()---() York Barbell Club #72 ()---()
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #15 ──<//>─<\\>──
    [M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #32 ▪[M]====[6]
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #70▪█─────█▪ 

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9015131&d=1541967331

Wow thanks for the replies everyone. The Functional trainer I was looking at is the FT2 I made a typo earlier saying the FT3. I've only been in the gym about 2 months and the routines I follow are mostly the cable driven machines. I do believe it's because they are more stable for me. I really had no idea bigger and stronger had to do with free weights. This now has me thinking and much more research is needed. My appointment to the fitness store is today were I planned to demo the unit and make the purchase. Now I'm not really sure with all this new information. Wish I would of found this forum weeks ago lol.

When looking at a rack system, what are some of the brands and or features I should be looking for? I'm concerned about room height because aren't the racks tall? And what do you all do for safety when using free weights as I would not have a spotter? That was one of the main reasons for the functional trainer as well and so many versatile excerise.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Free weights give the best results, that is why this forum is biased towards free weights.

For safe lifting at home alone, you do barbell exercises within the power rack. It has adjustable height safety systems such as pins or safety straps to catch the barbell. The J cup which holds the bar can also be set at different heights to allow you to unrack from different heights.
    Power rack can also be used for pullups using a pullup bar attachment. There are also add on systems that add a pulley and weight stack cable system to the side of the power rack. Take a look here for rack systems https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r...ks/power-racks.

You could also consider getting a set of adjustable dumbbells such as Powerblock Sport EXP 5-90 or Ironmaster QuickLock 75 , and a decent adjustable bench like the Rep AB-5000 (https://www.repfitness.com/rep-ab-5000). You can use this same bench within a rack for barbell exercises such as barbell bench press. Adjustable dumbbells allow you to run from 5 lbs to 100 lbs+ all on the same piece of hardware. (http://www.powerblock.com/) (https://www.ironmaster.com/categorie...s-kettlebells/

The total price of a rack, barbell, weights, adjustable bench, and dumbbell is likely under the price of your functional trainer and will give you better results.

One other thing, avoid anything made by BowFlex. Do not buy Bowflex.

How tall is your room?

edit: also not mentioned is flooring, a lot of people use stall mats from a tractor supply store
    Last edited by ampire; 03-02-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks for links. I'll check them out now. My ceiling height is 8ft tall 15ft x 12ft. So not a ton of room for other equipment.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for links. I'll check them out now. My ceiling height is 8ft tall 15ft x 12ft. So not a ton of room for other equipment.
    What is the floor made of? Is it a basement or a garage with concrete, or is it a household room with a wood or carpeted or tile floor?

I think that room dimension will be fine for a rack, bar, bench, weight plates, dumbbells. The Rogue R3 Bolt Together for example is 90" tall https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bolt-together-r-3
    Last edited by ampire; 03-02-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Didn't think of that. The room is an upstairs bedroom. Wood floors covered with carpet. No way to anchor the rack. Its the only available space I have. No basement or garage. I'm sure glad I found this site. By the way that link for the bench you posted was freakin awesome. They are out of stock and only taking pre orders.

Didn't think of that. The room is an upstairs bedroom. Wood floors covered with carpet. No way to anchor the rack. Its the only available space I have. No basement or garage. I'm sure glad I found this site. By the way that link for the bench you posted was freakin awesome. They are out of stock and only taking pre orders.
    The owner of Rep posts here often. It is sure to be back in stock.

For upstairs room like that, you would want to make sure the room can support the equipment. The FT probably weighs a lot, so its the same concern if you went with your original plan. You would want a rack that has broad feet rather than bolts to concrete. You might also want to consider putting a layer of plywood with a rubber matting down on top to protect the carpet and floor. You can also bolt racks to a plywood sheet that you than put the stall matting on top of that. There are a lot of tricks to gym flooring.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rml-390...ster-lite-rack This rack has feet that do not require bolting to floor.

I think if you see results quickly you will be more likely to stick with it and it will be more enjoyable, and the quickest and best results come from free weights and full body workouts.

The other way to sort of ease into it is buy an adjustable bench, adjustable dumbbells, and a decent cardio machine such as recumbent bike. You would not be able to build muscle in your legs and back as easily with dumbbells but it would be one way to ease into a home gym routine with free weights. You can later use the same bench with a power rack and barbell in the future.
    Last edited by ampire; 03-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Power racks don't really need to be bolted down, that's a bit of a disclaimer I think. I have a Body Solid GPR378 rack, it doesn't need to be bolted down and should fit in that room. It's a nice simple rack, very easy to adjust and it's also as strong as you would ever need. Look into that rack too.

Even if you needed to bolt the rack down, it should screw into the floor joists with no problems at all.

Then you want a FID bench and preferably a plain flat bench too. Used commercial stuff is a lot better if you can find it. A seat is useful but you can spare it if you use the FID bench.

An Olympic Barbell with a few weight plates, no need to spend more on rubber bumper plates because you wont be dumping weights in that room! You can buy 300lb sets pretty cheaply, the bar will eventually bend, but it may last you a couple years (then you can buy a nice barbell when you know what you need) and it's good to have a ****ty back-up bar anyway.

You can save $$ by buying a few different pairs of spinlock dumbbell rods and two pairs of each type of standard weight plate, then you can make whatever dumbbell weight you need, the actual adjustable ones are OK but they're pretty clumsy and don't go very heavy, also you can't fine tune the increments as much. They are simple and tidy though.

Keep an eye out for a used commercial leg press, maybe that's getting carried away but they're good to have.

Also consider putting money aside for a big fan, upstairs rooms get hot and stuffy.

jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No problem, you could take up the carpet or leave it down. Plywood with stall mats would be the way to go to protect the floor over carpet You could also go with rolled rubber flooring if you take up the carpet or the mats with plywood option, just all depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to put into the flooring.

If you are buying new, the GPR378 by Body Solid is a great start, course you can keep going and spend as much as you want. Check your craigslist/******** marketplace etc. for deals, especially for plates, shipping on plates can eat you alive. Bench wise I'd go with a flat or a high quality FI bench. I personally don't see the point of an all in one FID bench, just get a decline at some point if it's important enough to you.

You can get a really nice setup for much less than 4K

Thanks for all the replies. I spent about 2 hours at the fitness store working out different equipment. Racks, Weights and functional trainers. My wife and daughter also went and worked with different equipment. Took down some different model numbers to do more research on before pulling the trigger. Not going to lie my wife and daughter who will also be using the equipment are still leaning towards the Inspire Functional trainer FT2. Going to do more research and pull the trigger next week on something. No matter what we go with at least it's a start towards our home gym. Already have the treadmill and a few barbells. I'll post back once the decision has been made.

Thanks again everyone...

Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000)
    That functional trainer is $4000 worth of regret. Follow the others advice: power rack, plates, bar, bench and ironmaster/powerblock dumbbells. Get a real strength program too, “The Barbell Prescription” is probably about perfect to get you started.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for all the replies. I spent about 2 hours at the fitness store working out different equipment. Racks, Weights and functional trainers. My wife and daughter also went and worked with different equipment. Took down some different model numbers to do more research on before pulling the trigger. Not going to lie my wife and daughter who will also be using the equipment are still leaning towards the Inspire Functional trainer FT2. Going to do more research and pull the trigger next week on something. No matter what we go with at least it's a start towards our home gym. Already have the treadmill and a few barbells. I'll post back once the decision has been made.

Thanks again everyone...
    I have 2 daughters, the eldest migrates towards the machines, including my FT, the youngest prefers to pick up a barbell.

My point, for the cost of the FT2, you could pick up a rack, bench and Olly set, plus the Inspire FT1 for the family, compromise is the way to go, you got to keep the ladies happy.

lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    doesn't body solid make a plate loaded functional trainer?

get that along with the GPR 378 (or similar) and you would have a damn nice home gym.

I have the Rep ab3100 adjustable bench and find it meeds all my needs very well.

The Rogue 390f rack has flat feet and does not require bolting down.
    Best Lifts
    BP 255
    SQ 425
    DL 435
    OHP 195

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I have 2 daughters, the eldest migrates towards the machines, including my FT, the youngest prefers to pick up a barbell.

My point, for the cost of the FT2, you could pick up a rack, bench and Olly set, plus the Inspire FT1 for the family, compromise is the way to go, you got to keep the ladies happy.
    Exactly this ^^ .... you could also find a used functional trainer for the compromise.

Might be a more easier sell on a bench and some dumbbells with a cheaper/used/refurbished functional trainer and/or a cardio machine such as recumbent bike or an elliptical. Then you would have more versatility.

The issue with the FT2 is there is not really enough muscle stimulation from any compound movement to make any notable strength and muscle mass gains with the possible exception of the lat pulldown. Functional trainers and cable crossover stations are more for finishing off muscle groups with isolation or for correcting weak imbalances in smaller synergist muscles. Free weight training will give you much faster results, it is better for your bone density, and has more carry over to real life activities. Functional trainers are really expensive relative to the benefits of them. A cable stack and pulley machine does almost the same thing for 1/10 the price.

Another type of training you might like is Kettlebell. The equipment for that (the bell) is pretty inexpensive and versatile.

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not going to lie my wife and daughter who will also be using the equipment are still leaning towards the Inspire Functional trainer FT2. Going to do more research and pull the trigger next week on something.
    My daughter was the same way at first, but after learning to use free weights safely (pats self on back), she now lifts several times a week at one of the UNC gyms. She uses our home gym whenever she's here too, and it's basically a rack and bench plus a rowing machine. She does squats, deadlifts, hip thrusters, push ups, and dumbell upper body lifts. I can't say what your wife and daughter will use, but I do know that if we didn't have the TV and netflix in the gym, my daughter wouldn't spend nearly as much time there. 100% sure that makes a bigger difference to her than machines vs free weights.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sounds like a functional trainer will fit your needs well and be safe for the whole family. I'm always surprised at the blanket statements suggesting a power cage and free-weights when a FT can do a great deal for the average. But if you are looking to bulk up i agree.

I'm not a fan of Inspire, definitely better options but the pricing is good and it is a decent unit.

I tend to like this Hoist unit for someone looking for a combo: https://www.hoistfitness.com/consume...raining-system

powermaxindia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not here to give any insight. But, its really inspired with your story.