llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Spinlocks vs. Ironmasters

Hi All,

I've looked through a bunch of forums but can't really find an answer to this question. Unfortunately living in Australia, I can't go and check them out.

Apart from the flat on the end and the square shape, what is the difference between spinlocks and IMs?

Spinlocks I can get for about $2.6AUD/kg whereas IMs are $9.12AUD/kg for what seem to be fairly similar products, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Llewyn

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by llewyn View Post
    Hi All,

I've looked through a bunch of forums but can't really find an answer to this question. Unfortunately living in Australia, I can't go and check them out.

Apart from the flat on the end and the square shape, what is the difference between spinlocks and IMs?

Spinlocks I can get for about $2.6AUD/kg whereas IMs are $9.12AUD/kg for what seem to be fairly similar products, or am I missing something?
    Weight changes should be somewhat faster with Ironmaster dumbbells - you only have to turn the lock-screw about half a turn to either lock it or unlock it. Collars on spinlock dumbbells often require quite a lot of turning. Plates need to be threaded onto a spinlock dumbbell vs being set into place on the Ironmaster again making the Ironmaster a bit quicker.

The flat ends on the Ironmasters are more useful than you might think. When doing a dumbbell press (flat or incline), you can rest them on your knees with wrists in a neutral position and then roll back, using your knees to help position them. Rippetoe shows this technique sometime after 12:30 in this video.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Plates need to be threaded onto a spinlock dumbbell
    On what planet? Plates go on spinlock bars the same way as they do on straight bars.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    On what planet? Plates go on spinlock bars the same way as they do on straight bars.
    really?
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ironmasters are going to be better quality and feel nicer, and as KBKB said, the flat surface is functional. Changes are somewhat faster as well, though I wouldn't call them quick.

Whether or not they are worth it is really up to you. They are not necessary, but they are a lot nicer to use. Personally I went with Powerblocks because when spending that kind of money I wanted true quick changes. I had wanted them for 10 years but was too cheap to buy them. Once I did, I didn't regret it. It can be hard to justify the cost but they will last you a lifetime.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Ironmasters are going to be better quality and feel nicer, and as KBKB said, the flat surface is functional. Changes are somewhat faster as well, though I wouldn't call them quick.

Whether or not they are worth it is really up to you. They are not necessary, but they are a lot nicer to use. Personally I went with Powerblocks because when spending that kind of money I wanted true quick changes. I had wanted them for 10 years but was too cheap to buy them. Once I did, I didn't regret it. It can be hard to justify the cost but they will last you a lifetime.
    I wanted PowerBlocks for a lot longer than ten years! When the Sport EXP's came out, I bought.

KBKB, I took 'threaded' to mean spun like the collars.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    KBKB, I took 'threaded' to mean spun like the collars.
    Yes, I could probably have phrased it better.

The point I was trying to make was that when making adding plates to the Ironmaster dumbbells, you first remove the lock-screw (by twisting it about half a turn and then pulling it out). You then set whatever plates you want to add next to the plates which are already there. You then insert the lock-screws and tighten them by about half a turn.

In contrast, with the spinlocks, you have to first remove the collars by first loosening them and then spinning them off the end of the bar. Plates are added to the bar in the usual way that plates are added to a bar - you line each plate's hole up with the end up the bar and the push the plate up against the other plates already on the bar. The collars are then spun onto the bar and tightened at the end.

Neither set of operations are especially slow if you only have to do them once or twice per lifting session. But I do think that the IMs will save a bit of time if you have to do it repeatedly, as in making weight changes between sets. As bisonp notes, however, Powerblocks are quite a lot faster than either Ironmasters or spinlocks.
    Last edited by KBKB; 03-29-2018 at 07:38 AM.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's easy and quick to get the IM plates tight also. I tried spinlocks and never could get them to stay tight.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would much rather do Renegade Rows with IM's than with spinlock DB's.....the flat, nonrolling edges are nice.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    It's easy and quick to get the IM plates tight also. I tried spinlocks and never could get them to stay tight.
    Wildtim has a trick for tightening spinlocks...

He also mentions that they're probably the slowest of all of the adjustable dumbbell systems.

That video is from The dumbbell thread.

jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000) jormone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Time to resurrect the smart lock?

http://bodybuilding.shoutwiki.com/wi...ells#Smartlock

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wildtim has a trick for tightening spinlocks...

He also mentions that they're probably the slowest of all of the adjustable dumbbell systems.

That video is from The dumbbell thread.
    i tried that, lets just say I'm keeping my IM.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) llewyn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cheers for all the comments everyone.

Yes, I could probably have phrased it better.

The point I was trying to make was that when making adding plates to the Ironmaster dumbbells, you first remove the lock-screw (by twisting it about half a turn and then pulling it out). You then set whatever plates you want to add next to the plates which are already there. You then insert the lock-screws and tighten them by about half a turn.

In contrast, with the spinlocks, you have to first remove the collars by first loosening them and then spinning them off the end of the bar. Plates are added to the bar in the usual way that plates are added to a bar - you line each plate's hole up with the end up the bar and the push the plate up against the other plates already on the bar. The collars are then spun onto the bar and tightened at the end.

Neither set of operations are especially slow if you only have to do them once or twice per lifting session. But I do think that the IMs will save a bit of time if you have to do it repeatedly, as in making weight changes between sets. As bisonp notes, however, Powerblocks are quite a lot faster than either Ironmasters or spinlocks.
    I was watching a video on youtube about the IMs that suggested you often needed to tighten more than one half turn to stop the weights being lose. This could have just been poor technique though, was this your experience or do you just need to do 1 half turn and they're all locked in and good to go?

I agree that flat ends are super functional. I was thinking about 3D printing a cap for the spinlocks that provides a flat surface. As the downward side of the dumbbell is always facing out any extra distance in that direction would not effect how close you can bring them for the squeeze at full extension on presses.

Thanks for the response.

I was looking at the power blocks but they're about $13AUD/kg where I am. Do you find that the shape of the PBs prevents you from using them for exercises like straight arm pullovers and skull crushers?

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love my power blocks. And mine are huge. I'd rather use my curl bar for pull over or skull crushes. But I do rolling triceps extension and tate presses just fine with mine.
    My Training Journal: http://tinyurl.com/jasons-journal
    My Video Training Journal: www.youtube.com/user/jason24590
    08/17:245,185,275 02/18:345,275,380
    06/18:405;315,455
    goal: hit previous SBD #s again 524,364,562
    current meet PRs: ---/---/--- ---

What NorthStrong's sig. says

I was watching a video on youtube about the IMs that suggested you often needed to tighten more than one half turn to stop the weights being lose. This could have just been poor technique though, was this your experience or do you just need to do 1 half turn and they're all locked in and good to go?
    With some combinations of plates, I suppose it could be as much as three quarters of a turn.

But if the lock-screw were to rotate through one entire revolution, it would unlock again.

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the response.

I was looking at the power blocks but they're about $13AUD/kg where I am. Do you find that the shape of the PBs prevents you from using them for exercises like straight arm pullovers and skull crushers?
    Single dumbbell pullovers or crushers are a non starter for the most part with PBs. You can certainly use 2 dumbbells I guess or a barbell/curl bar. It's really the only shortcoming or give up. I love mine. So fast/easy and so much $ and space savings vs a full DB set (DBs are secondary to barbell for me so not a mega priority). PBs or Ironmasters are good to go and individual preference or ability to get a deal will dictate.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

powerblocks are indeed faster weight change but when you have to change lower increments it's a pain. some exercises are more difficult to do with powerblocks like tricep extenstions.

Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jason2459 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by imnotflexin View Post
    powerblocks are indeed faster weight change but when you have to change lower increments it's a pain. some exercises are more difficult to do with powerblocks like tricep extenstions.
    I've never touched my adder weights but if I did it's a quick lever action and they slide right out and in easy. Not sure how that's a pain? I've never had issues with doing tri ext with my blocks.

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the response.

What it really comes down to is your priorities. If you want the closest thing there is to individual dumbbells in an adjustable, Ironmaster is the way to go. If you want the quickest changes, Powerblocks. If you're on a budget, spinlocks. They will all get the job done and they all have compromises. Lots of old threads on here comparing Powerblocks to Ironmasters.

llewyn,

I just thought of another option. I posted the following a few days ago on the 'look what I bought today' thread. Loadable kettlebell handles are extremely versatile. All you need are the handles, plates and a couple of dumbbell bars. I prefer the spinlock bars.

I bought a second loadable kettlebell handle. https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/J11QMO30...e-kbadjhc.html

I have enough plates to make two 120 LB kettlebells. It might be a while before I'm swinging them together, but I now have options above and beyond my 90 LB PowerBlocks.

imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10) imnotflexin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jason2459 View Post
    I've never touched my adder weights but if I did it's a quick lever action and they slide right out and in easy. Not sure how that's a pain? I've never had issues with doing tri ext with my blocks.
    it's more of a hassle if you're going up in 5lbs increments doing pyramid workout. you have to adjust both of them and sorry i was refering to overhead tricep extensions. those are uncomfortable to do with powerblocks and they are one of my favourite exercises for the triceps with free weights. also it's not ideal if you do supersets with lower increments too. don't get me wrong i love my powerblocks. i've been using them for years. i just don't use them as much now only for arm workouts as a majority of my workouts are with a barbell now. i used to use them for everything.

I do supersets and drop sets all the time with mine. Biggest benefit of them is how quick I can change weights and keep moving.

llewyn,

I just thought of another option. I posted the following a few days ago on the 'look what I bought today' thread. Loadable kettlebell handles are extremely versatile. All you need are the handles, plates and a couple of dumbbell bars. I prefer the spinlock bars.
    Huh, I've never heard of these. Thanks. Cute dog!

Thanks for all the replies.

Being the kind of guy that has to make his own mistakes I got some spinlocks.

Biggest problem I had was the lack of flat ends, so I printed some. Images are attached, but I haven't made enough posts yet so I can't make images appear inline.
    Attached Images

JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    just my 2 cents:

I agree with KBKB

I've had a set of Ironmasters since 2012 up to 120lbs each... I love them. They're solid and fairly easy to change out on the fly. I also like their Kettle Bell attachment. They hold up well and if I remember correctly have a lifetime warranty. Once together they're basically a solid DB. I like how the ends are flat un-like spinlocks (easier to rest on your quads before laying back for pressing).

Biggest problem I had was the lack of flat ends, so I printed some. Images are attached, but I haven't made enough posts yet so I can't make images appear inline.
    Ingenious! I used spinlock and straight bar dumbbells for a long, long time before buying PowerBlocks.

Embedded.

Looks good to me!

Embedded.

Looks good to me!
    Thanks for embedding for me!

Cheers, happy so far!

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Nicely done. That's what I love about this forum...so many unique issues whether it's space, equipment, attachments, whatever and figuring a way to make it work.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991