Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000)

Exclamation My dad bought an auto repair shop. (GTFIH business brahs)

He got a real good deal at a real good location. In a busy street where There's constant traffic.

There are some problems
    Dad doesn't know sht about cars but he's learning.
    We have 3 mechanisms and he was telling me he feels like they take advantage of him.
    I don't know sht either but I'm willing to learn.

Now business is ups and down where we make from $800-1500 per day. But there are costs as well such as paying the 3 mechanics parts and supplies to buy Etc Etc. Profit wise he's saying it's just barely even or a slight loss.

I want to help and make the business grow but what can I do? I am gonna start going with him and learn what he does and potentially do whatever he does.
    Now we made a website Etc Etc but what can we do to make the business grow?

The thing is we need to hire better mechanics. Dad says they come in whenever they want and leave whenever and he can't fire them because he doesn't have anyone else to work so he has to keep these.

Was also gonna ask u guys in terms of long term. 20-40 years from now would we still need auto repair shops? Or technology would have changed because I'm hoping our business stays long

AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlbinoScience is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wow it sounds like this was an impulse buy on your dad's part. These types of decisions really ought to be carefully planned and researched.
    ***Never Giving up Crew***

5'11
    180 lbs

Not actually albino - just blonde

markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) markduschane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LinkedIn would be a good idea for him

CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CptClean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your posts and reps are the same
    One day scientists are going to kill us all.

Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CptClean View Post
    fuk business or trying to make money op, you've made it

Stop posting and don't get repped or negged ever again. Just take a screen shot of ur posts and reps and show ur dad and I doubt he will care about the failed auto shop anymore after seeing that
    Call me Sally

WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why would you dad buy into a business/field he knows nothing about? Sounds like an excellent plan to success.
    I like the tuna here.

ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First, your Dad is an idiot.

Second, I am going to absolutely fix your shop. Ready? I tell this to every single new shop owner I know who is struggling, which I've met A LOT of...

Specialize in timing belts. Have timing jobs be your biggest advertised service and even go as far as changing the name of the shop to incorporate this. There are ZERO shops that do this you stand out extremely well. Most people will go to a make specific shop or the dealer for this and will get absolutely thrashed on service costs. You can have a lower price than everyone else, but can easily be doing 5-6k worth of work every single day.

With just myself and one other tech, we were netting 40k+ a month doing nothing but timing jobs and head gasket repair. Head gaskets being another thing you get really good at because the majority of the job is timing set disassembly

iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iabs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CptClean View Post
    never go full autist.
    300 Forever

brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) brontrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ridezilightning View Post

Second, I am going to absolutely fix your shop. Ready? I tell this to every single new shop owner I know who is struggling, which I've met A LOT of...

Specialize in timing belts. Have timing jobs be your biggest advertised service and even go as far as changing the name of the shop to incorporate this. There are ZERO shops that do this you stand out extremely well. Most people will go to a make specific shop or the dealer for this and will get absolutely thrashed on service costs. You can have a lower price than everyone else, but can easily be doing 5-6k worth of work every single day.

With just myself and one other tech, we were netting 40k+ a month doing nothing but timing jobs and head gasket repair. Head gaskets being another thing you get really good at because the majority of the job is timing set disassembly
    This man deserves reps for life from the OP. Just gave away his business strategy for free.
    Strong and Free

PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000) PeacefulDink is a complete loser! (-2000)
    lol I'll pay him instead of reps if his advice works

Damn brah I'm gonna tell this my dad and see what he says. Currently from what I know we do oil changes etc etc and other repairs such as tires and other car provoked

and our shop is called

"The name of our city" Auto Repair

Now my dad bought this last summer so it's been about a year coming up so he has learned a lot about the business but he obviously isn't a mechanic he does the customer service and watches over them and parts ordering Etc Etc

I can take pics of the shop tomorrow if u want if u want to know in terms of size and office and whatever

But if we change the name of the shop what should we change it to?

Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mcfreako has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    U just ruined ur post to rep ratio, I told u not to post anymore

Now u don't even have that....ur basically going to lose everything now
    Call me Sally

Originally Posted by Mcfreako View Post
    U just ruined ur post to rep ratio, I told u not to post anymore

Now u don't even have that....ur basically going to lose everything now
    I'll just delete some old threads

WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WSG1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PeacefulDink View Post
    lol I'll pay him instead of reps if his advice works

Damn brah I'm gonna tell this my dad and see what he says. Currently from what I know we do oil changes etc etc and other repairs such as tires and other car provoked

and our shop is called

"The name of our city" Auto Repair

Now my dad bought this last summer so it's been about a year coming up so he has learned a lot about the business but he obviously isn't a mechanic he does the customer service and watches over them and parts ordering Etc Etc

I can take pics of the shop tomorrow if u want if u want to know in terms of size and office and whatever

But if we change the name of the shop what should we change it to?
    You dont make **** doing oil changes. Places who specialize in oil changes rely on the "oh your serpentine belt is cracking, want us to replace it for $100?" shtick while youre waiting for them to get the oil change done. Basically you got to weed through 9 people during oil changes that you dont make a dollar off of to get that one who is willing to open up their check book to whatever you throw at them.
    I like the tuna here.

ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridezilightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sounds more like a lube shop than a repair facility lol How big is your town?

We were doing this out of a 30x30 building with only enough room for two cars at a time so I'm sure you can accommodate. I can't name your shop for you but it can be as simple as you want. Just Timing Repair or something along those lines. We were called Only Timing Belts. I have since retired. Pay for an ad spot for one month on local radio. People driving to work hearing a place that does exactly what they are due for, it works.

Have him talk to whoever of his techs is best or most trusted and see what he/she thinks. You may need to replace staff to get techs skilled enough to crank out these kind of jobs.

rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Does your dad have any mechanical background? If not, what compelled him to make this purchase? Of all the businesses he could buy - why this one?

That other posters' advice seems really interesting though, give it a try and report back. Would be cool to see your revenue go 5x cause of the advice of some miscer lol

rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10) rrnold is on a distinguished road. (+10)

We were doing this out of a 30x30 building with only enough room for two cars at a time so I'm sure you can accommodate. I can't name your shop for you but it can be as simple as you want. Just Timing Repair or something along those lines. We were called Only Timing Belts. I have since retired. Pay for an ad spot for one month on local radio. People driving to work hearing a place that does exactly what they are due for, it works.

Have him talk to whoever of his techs is best or most trusted and see what he/she thinks. You may need to replace staff to get techs skilled enough to crank out these kind of jobs.
    You have since retired meaning you still own the biz and have someone else manage it while you still see 6 figures yearly and enjoy the benefits? OR meaning you sold the biz off?

Everyone always coming in for an oil change and it's $20. But the previous owners were bad and ppl didn't like them but we are doing good now?

Originally Posted by WSG1 View Post
    You dont make **** doing oil changes. Places who specialize in oil changes rely on the "oh your serpentine belt is cracking, want us to replace it for $100?" shtick while youre waiting for them to get the oil change done. Basically you got to weed through 9 people during oil changes that you dont make a dollar off of to get that one who is willing to open up their check book to whatever you throw at them.

Everyone always coming in for an oil change and it's $20. But the previous owners were bad and ppl didn't like them but we are doing good now?
    Do you think oil is free?

$20 for an oil change but then you have to subtract labor, oil, filter, etc.?

Sounds miserable

sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000)
    He got a real good deal at a real good location. In a busy street where There's constant traffic.

There are some problems
    Dad doesn't know sht about cars but he's learning.
    We have 3 mechanisms and he was telling me he feels like they take advantage of him.
    I don't know sht either but I'm willing to learn.

Now business is ups and down where we make from $800-1500 per day. But there are costs as well such as paying the 3 mechanics parts and supplies to buy Etc Etc. Profit wise he's saying it's just barely even or a slight loss.

I want to help and make the business grow but what can I do? I am gonna start going with him and learn what he does and potentially do whatever he does.
    Now we made a website Etc Etc but what can we do to make the business grow?

The thing is we need to hire better mechanics. Dad says they come in whenever they want and leave whenever and he can't fire them because he doesn't have anyone else to work so he has to keep these.

Was also gonna ask u guys in terms of long term. 20-40 years from now would we still need auto repair shops? Or technology would have changed because I'm hoping our business stays long

you're in a really good position. Not sure if srs thread tho.

Originally Posted by rrnold View Post
    You have since retired meaning you still own the biz and have someone else manage it while you still see 6 figures yearly and enjoy the benefits? OR meaning you sold the biz off?
    The space was converted to one of my three manufacturing locations. I own a plastic company now and just sit at home inventing all day

Think ours is bigger. We have space for like 6 cars that can get raised up on platforms.

Then we have a small parking lot next to that which holds about 10-12 cars and space in between for work as well.
    We are a big town like I said we are in downtown of constant cars going down the road every sec traffic never stops. So town is big.

I'll talk to him about the radio idea that's good.

I'll talk to the mechanics but like I said before they are not to be trustworthy but if they can do timing that will help until we hire someone new

Does your dad have any mechanical background? If not, what compelled him to make this purchase? Of all the businesses he could buy - why this one?

That other posters' advice seems really interesting though, give it a try and report back. Would be cool to see your revenue go 5x cause of the advice of some miscer lol
    Well my dad owned a limo business before we had 10-12 limos and he would come to this shop for repair and became friends with the owner and then his son took over and he didn't care at all and he sold it to us for a good price I think. Like I said the location is really good, always traffic on a two lane road. Ir doesn't get better than this and he's willing to learn and so am I, I think me being involved and telling him the ideas u guys say will defiantly help us if it works

$20 for an oil change but then you have to subtract labor, oil, filter, etc.?

Sounds miserable
    Ya I'm gonna talk to him about this I'm trying to figure out how they come up with prices

The space was converted to one of my three manufacturing locations. I own a plastic company now and just sit at home inventing all day
    That's sick, nice work m8

Originally Posted by Adnim View Post
    came in expecting red....leaving confused and with a bitter taste in my mouth
    Am
    Confused what u mean. Like I said dad still learning. The mechanics can do whatever they want since he don't know a lot atm plus he can't fire them until he finds new ones too

How am I good? And why isn't the thread srs

Originally Posted by sillydawg View Post
    you're in a really good position. Not sure if srs thread tho.

Bump

BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrahPlease has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you only do mechanical repairs or do you also do body work and collision repairs? #1 thing would be to take a look at every single expense and try to minimize the spending and losses.
    Keep rep trading out of your sig line miss

Originally Posted by BrahPlease View Post
    Do you only do mechanical repairs or do you also do body work and collision repairs? #1 thing would be to take a look at every single expense and try to minimize the spending and losses.
    I'm
    Not sure ill confirm on that. I think we do collision and body work because I've seen some messed up cars

For example the other day we just installed a new engine to a car. So ya. We also buy broken cars repair them and sell them. At least that's what I did. I got a car for $500 from my dad and sold it for $3k but it took us about $2k to repair it too so ya. Now we are doing the same thing with the engine car we are gonna sell it After.

And yes about the expenses. We have Internet phone and cable. Internet and phone is required and we have the cheapest plan. But cable i was thinking we don't need because we have a 50-60" flat screen in the office for customers to watch I was thinking I can just stream from a laptop. Or just play a movie idk if customers actually care