MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Here goes nothing...

This is so cliche, but my New Year's resolution is me! I'm going to lose weight, get in better shape, and I'm going to feel sexy again.... at 44! I started with dieting (down 12.5 pounds so far). More recently, I reintroduced myself to handcycling (I am a paraplegic so this is my form of biking). Today, I bought some Lululemon leggings and shirt in preparation for my first weightlifting training session tomorrow.

Goals:
    1. Lose another 30 pounds (155 to 125)
    2. Have well-defined shoulders
    3. Have a waist!

Wish me luck, and kick me in the butt when I slack.

adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adriannec is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome and have fun tomorrow! I can't wait to hear how it goes. I love new gym clothes for motivation.
    Online Training and Nutrition Coach
    www.AccidentalFitnessQuest.com

Have a training or nutrition question? PM me or ask me on FB: www.********.com/AccidentalFitnessQuest

MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50) MindeeO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Today was my first day at the gym. It was a pull day!

Here is what I did:
    Lat pull downs:
    -wide grip, overhand, behind head: 30lbs, 3X10
    -medium grip, underhand: 40lbs, 3X10
    -medium grip, neutral: 40lbs, 3X10
    Cable row w/twist: 5lbs, 3X10
    Ab crunch w/rope: 12.5lbs, 3X10
    Cable row: 12.5lbs, 3X10

It seemed light and easy... but I want to perfect my form before piling on the weight. I will repeat this on Sunday, and meet with the trainer on Tuesday to learn my push routine.

As for intake: 1021 calories -- 101g protein, 67g carbs, and 52g sugar, 35g fat Remember, I am disabled. I have worked hard to narrow in on this calorie range to be my deficit range. Without use of some of my biggest muscles, mu caloric need is just low, low, low!

I made it to the gym for the second time. No records set with that one, but it is a start.

Here is what I did:
    Lat pull downs:
    -wide grip, overhand, behind head: 40lbs, 3X10 (went up 10, and plan to go up again)
    -medium grip, underhand: 55lbs, 3X10 (went up 15)
    -medium grip, neutral: 50lbs, 3X10 (went up 10)
    Cable row w/twist: 12.5lbs, 3X10 (went up 7.5)
    Ab crunch w/rope: 12.5lbs, 3X10
    Cable row: 12.5lbs, 3X10

I think I am starting to learn the movements, and now starting to determine my "starting" weights. I had no soreness from my previous workout, so here is to hoping that I feel this tomorrow.

Intake: 948 calories -- 73g protein, 45g carbs, and 35g sugar, 51g fat (ugh, I ate some almonds... the miracle food is sure high in fat)

If anyone is reading this, what things kept you going? These early days, I am still full of motivation. Hoping it will last forever...
    Last edited by MindeeO; 02-26-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: adding more detail

astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi Mindee and welcome to the journals! Sounds like you're off to a good start and it's a great idea to work with a trainer if you're new to lifting. I struggle with motivation when life gets really busy, but what keeps me going is feeling physically better and so much more confident when I'm lifting consistently. I'm not where I want to be, but im stronger than I was and I improve something with (almost) every workout, and that is huge motivation.

Make small goals along with big goals and use those as a driver to keep going.

Originally Posted by astronut96 View Post
    Hi Mindee and welcome to the journals! Sounds like you're off to a good start and it's a great idea to work with a trainer if you're new to lifting. I struggle with motivation when life gets really busy, but what keeps me going is feeling physically better and so much more confident when I'm lifting consistently. I'm not where I want to be, but im stronger than I was and I improve something with (almost) every workout, and that is huge motivation.

Make small goals along with big goals and use those as a driver to keep going.
    Thanks! Yes, small goals are hard. I want it all, and now! I am starting to see progress, like I am down 16 pounds. But, I know this deficit isn't so good for my muscle development.... On the other hand, no one can see my muscles through the fat.

What kind of bike is that? I just started riding last year.

I am TOUGH now. I do skull crushers! hehehe

Today's workout predominately focussed on my chest.

Here is what I did:

DB bechpress: 15lbs, 3X10
    Fly: 12.5lbs, 3X10
    Flat squeeze press: 15lbs, 3X10
    Skull crusher (close grip, overhand): 30lbs, 3X10
    Parrillo press: 10lbs, 3X10
    Dual pulley, single arm chest fly: 7.5lbs, 3X10
    Dual pulley, read delt fly: 7.5lbs, 3X10

Felt great to be at the gym again! Many of these weights could go up, but good to learn the motions first (right??).

As of today, I am down 16 lbs... 24 more to go! Yippee.

jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    welcome and great start! its great to get a feel for your routine and perfect your form first, there is always room to go up in weight

congrats on the 16 pound loss so far

as for motivation, sometimes I dont want to go and be lazy but im lazy the other 23 hours of the day so I try to just remember that when I am not feelin into it, and I love donuts so figure have to balance that out

also too like to keep the fitness wardrobe fun keeps me motivated
    instagram: @mackitten
    cats ;) instagram: @khanthebengal

Currently running PR Bulgarian Method template
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170583541&p=1425289591&viewfull=1#post1425289591

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170108803&pagenumber=

You think you know ... what's to come ... what you are. You haven't even begun.

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Welcome and great work lifting so far. You're doing awesome.

As for the lifting, certainly good to start of lighter. And I've found doing a few different programs and cycles, that you don't go heavy in the very beginning for most. There is the form factor as high priority and it also helps build up so later on even after a couple of years lifting you can lift even heavier and reach new PRs. With the motivation for deficits and working out, just having the different goals helped me. The scale can be a pain if it's the main focus, but having goals focused on reaching new weights or learning to do something new for cardio, those helped me keep going.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) astronut96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MindeeO View Post
    Thanks! Yes, small goals are hard. I want it all, and now! I am starting to see progress, like I am down 16 pounds. But, I know this deficit isn't so good for my muscle development.... On the other hand, no one can see my muscles through the fat.

What kind of bike is that? I just started riding last year.
    It's a Yamaha FZ1 or a fuzzy 1 for short. I only ride on the back though. I prefer riding on dirt and my bike is a Yamaha TW200 which is on and off road. I'm too much of a sissy to ride on the street. What do you ride?

Feeling good. Starting to feel the burn. Motivating!

Here is what I did:
    Lat pull downs:
    -wide grip, overhand, behind head: 55lbs, 3X10 (went up 15, and plan to go up again)
    -medium grip, underhand: 70lbs, 3X10 (went up 15)
    -medium grip, neutral: 70lbs, 3X10 (went up 15)
    Cable row w/twist: 20lbs, 3X10 (went up 7.5)
    Ab crunch w/rope: 17.5lbs, 3X10 (went up 5)
    Cable row: 17.5lbs, 3X10 (went up 5)
    Rear delt fly: 12.5lbs, 10, 6 8 (right) 7.5lbs, 3X10 (left)

Thanks for the motivation!

Originally Posted by jsari23 View Post
    welcome and great start! its great to get a feel for your routine and perfect your form first, there is always room to go up in weight

congrats on the 16 pound loss so far

as for motivation, sometimes I dont want to go and be lazy but im lazy the other 23 hours of the day so I try to just remember that when I am not feelin into it, and I love donuts so figure have to balance that out

also too like to keep the fitness wardrobe fun keeps me motivated
    Yes, motivation is sometimes hard to find. I think it is very much like my kids and the shower. I cannot get them in the shower, but when I do I cannot get them out. The gym is the same... sometimes it is hard to motivate myself to drive to the gym. Once I am there, I love it and am never anxious to leave. I just need to remind self of that!

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Welcome and great work lifting so far. You're doing awesome.

As for the lifting, certainly good to start of lighter. And I've found doing a few different programs and cycles, that you don't go heavy in the very beginning for most. There is the form factor as high priority and it also helps build up so later on even after a couple of years lifting you can lift even heavier and reach new PRs. With the motivation for deficits and working out, just having the different goals helped me. The scale can be a pain if it's the main focus, but having goals focused on reaching new weights or learning to do something new for cardio, those helped me keep going.
    Yes, learning new things has been awesome. I am focusing now on lifting... and my trainer is great. He has been very creative helping me with coming up some great strategies despite my disability. So fun!

As for me... today, here is what I did starting to focus on shoulders:

Arnold press: 5lbs, 3X10
    Incline front raise: 5lbs, 3X10
    Incline side raise: 2.5lbs, 3X10
    Dual pulley, rear delt fly: 7.5lbs, 3X10
    Shoulder raise: 10lbs, 3X10
    Ab crunch: 17.5, 3X15

All weights are super light. I had (maybe have) a torn rotator cuff. I am most excited about these lifts as I hope it will provide some much needed muscular stability to my shoulders, but want to take it slow, slow, slow. I look like I am doing jazzercise with these little, cute weights, but happy to be feeling no unusual shoulder pain after lifting.

Question

Although I have been quiet on here, I have still been trucking along and seeing some measurable progress. I am still going up quickly on many of my lifts, and as of today I am down 21 pounds (half way to my goal weight!!!!).

Two workouts since I was last on here:

March 7:
    Lat pull downs:
    -wide grip, overhand, behind head: 55lbs, 2X10, 57.5lbs, 2X10 (starting to add reps, along with weight...)
    -medium grip, underhand: 70lbs, 3X10, 72.5lbs, 1X10
    -medium grip, neutral: 72.5lbs, 4X10 (went up 15)
    -narrow grip, neutral: 72.5, 1X10, 70lbs, 3X10 (new lift... or new pull)
    Cable row w/twist: 20lbs, 3X10 (went up 7.5)
    LF row/rear delt machine: 30lbs, 3X10 (instead of other row machine as I wasn't able to stabilize myself enough)
    Rhomboid pull: 4th plate, 4X10

March 9:
    DB benchpress: 17.5lbs, 3X10 (up 2.5)
    Fly: 15lbs, 3X10 (up 2.5)
    Flat squeeze press: 17.5lbs, 3X10
    LF Decline press: 30lbs, 2X10, 25lbs, 3X10
    Parrillo press: 10lbs, 3X10

What's up for next week? I now know many exercises, so I will be on my own without a trainer. That shouldn't be a problem. I am also going to start pushing myself a bit more. I am feeling it... but not enough. I have been very cautious given my shoulder injuries, but I am ready to start giving myself a bit more of a challenge.

Also, I have very different strengths in my arms. For that reason, I am not doing anything with a bar, instead dumbbells or individual pulleys. I was then to do my weaker arm first, and only do that amount on my stronger arm. Any disagreement? Or other ideas?

jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    great job on the weight loss and the continued workouts

Sounds like you are in a great place for next week minus the trainer
    instagram: @mackitten
    cats ;) instagram: @khanthebengal

Currently running PR Bulgarian Method template
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170583541&p=1425289591&viewfull=1#post1425289591

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170108803&pagenumber=

You think you know ... what's to come ... what you are. You haven't even begun.

Question Increase sets, reps, or weights?

I haven't lost steam, except missing a workout due to a stomach bug. Here's is what I have been up to:

March 13:
    Arnold press: 7.5lbs, 5X10
    Incline front raise: 7.5lbs, 5X10
    Incline side raise: 5lbs, 1X10, 7.5lbs, 4X10
    Dual pulley, rear delt fly: 7.5lbs, 3X10
    Shoulder raise: 10lbs, 4X10

My shoulder injury really makes me nervous, so I opted to increase my sets before increasing my weights. I realize there are other ways of doing this, like increasing reps, etc. Given my injury, is there a best way to be cautious?

March 18:
    Lat pull downs:
    -wide grip, overhand, behind head: 70lbs, 4X10
    -medium grip, underhand: 85lbs, 4X10
    -medium grip, neutral: 85lbs, 4X10
    -narrow grip, neutral: 85lbs, 4X10
    LF Row machine: 40lbs, 4X10
    Dual pulley, rear delt fly: 12.5lbs, 1X10 hurt shoulder... decrease weight
    Rhoimboid pull: 4 plates, 1X10, 5 plates, 2X10

March 20:
    DB benchpress: 20lbs, 1X10, 2X15
    Fly: 17.5lbs, 3X15
    Flat squeeze press: 20lbs, 3X10
    LF Decline press: 30lbs, 2X10, 25lbs, 3X10
    Parrillo press: 12.5lbs, 3X10
    Dual pulley, single arm chest fly: 9lbs, 3X10
    Dual pulley, read delt fly: 9lbs, 3X10
    LF Decline Press machine: 30lbs, 3X10

As you can see, the way we increase weights is all over the place. Thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

PS Doing just fine without the trainer... maybe even easier to push a bit harder, grunt a tad louder. Look forward to meeting him again next week.

Lastly, I am down 28 pounds!! Wooozers! I am doing this. But, I think that I would like to lose 17 more (rather than 12 more as originally planned).