lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Training around a specific injury, advice request

I have a seriously messed up back (car accident). I'm not able to squat - yet, I'll get there - but for now it's out. Since almost every program relies on the king of exercises, I'm kinda left in the cold. Back in my heyday, my training centered around squat, deadlift, power cleans, clean and press, etc. My doc says those days are over. Actually, he said my weightlifting days are over, but what does he know? I'm not crazy, the orthopaedic surgeon that evaluated my stack of x-rays, CAT scans, and MRIs said he's against my training, but that my back is not likely to catastrophically fail.

Anyway, I'm back (after building some base strength on hammer machines) to barbell benching. I've been experimenting with the deadlift. I've kept it light. I worked up to 405 in 10 rep sets, but stopped the 405 at 5 reps. It didn't "feel" quite right - no pain, but an "off" feeling that said stop. I waited for repercussions, but nothing, aside from DOMS. So, I can do light deadlifts.

My question: If you couldn't squat, what would you do?

I will never squat 800 lbs, but I will squat again. Eventually. I'm willing to flout my doc's instructions, but not to the point of stupidity. I need a way to build my legs. I also need a way to take advantage of the systemic anabolic boost that heavy squats deliver. I've thought of leg press, of course, but since my fracture was in the lumber spine, I'm not sure that a full ROM leg press would be safe, either.

What I've done so far: Diet. I'm fat (basically bedridden for months following the accident), so I'm addressing that. Been doing what I can in the gym, and seeing gains, no worries there. I've been cycling - bicycling, not juice! Ha - concentrating on sprints and intervals. With a really tall gear, I can get a good burn in my quads. Forget those Tour de France guys, think track cyclists, they have HUGE quads. But other than this, I'm at a loss. What would you do?
    “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.”
    ― Seneca

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would talk to a professional. BTW, you were bed ridding and just got back to deadlifts but were keeping it light at 405x10 rep sets?
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I would talk to a professional. BTW, you were bed ridding and just got back to deadlifts but were keeping it light at 405x10 rep sets?
    ^ talk to a SPORTS doc rather than a general practitioner for better insight into your limitations etc. That said, there are plenty of ways to build legs if you cant barbell squat. Pulling 405 DLs doesn't really make sense to me since the lower back (lumbar region) is much more involved in DLs than squats. Further, any "anabolic" effects related to heavy squatting is much less than the net negative anabolic effect of carrying lots excess fat IMO. I would focus on losing fat and doing what you can within your limitations on gaining strength until you and your qualified medical professionals get things figure out.

lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I should have mentioned, my accident was two years ago (almost 3 actually - damn, Christmas is almost here!). I had PT for a while, and I've been building some basic strength with machines and bodyweight work since then. I'm just getting back to lifting.
    Last edited by lrfiv; 11-23-2016 at 07:22 AM.
    ― Seneca

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    McGill big 3. Youtube search it. It will be worth your time

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    McGill big 3. Youtube search it. It will be worth your time
    Thanks, that's good info. My PT had me doing one of those, the one like crunches, only he'd have me raise my bent leg. Surprisingly hard!

I see from your sig that you recently had a lumbar fusion. If you are willing, I'd love to hear how that's doing.
    ― Seneca

smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smittyboy63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are so many great exercises to keep yourself nice and buff without doing deadlifts, bar squats, overhead presses, etc....these are all back killers. I can see how if you mentioned these exercises to a doc, he'd tell you, "No". Instead of bar squats, what about the angled/seated squat machines? I had to switch over to them years ago because the bar squat, and lying squat machines, messed up my lower back really bad.

Your goal is to avoid any exercise that compresses your spine. That means anything where you have to lift things straight up over your head - shoulder presses and any kind of overhead press. Also, anything where you are standing and have to pick up alot of weight (this pulls your body down, and again, compresses your spine). Even simple stuff like standing calf raises (with the pads on your shoulders) will mess your back up if you have back issues.

So many guys come into this forum with back problems from squatting and deadlifting. When will people learn? If you have a bad back, these exercises are murder. Leave them out. Get over the fact you can no longer do them, and find other exercises that don't compress the spine. It's that easy, really. Don't be so dead set in your ways.

Also, I highly recommend this guy's YouTube videos. He's a trainer, and he's a physical therapist. He's great! He also has a torn shoulder labrum, so he's really good about talking about exercises for people with injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24
    Last edited by smittyboy63; 11-25-2016 at 06:50 PM.

geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't know... but I do know CT Fletcher lifted again.
    "I COMMAND YOU TO GROW!"
    Get your ass in the gym period!

Originally Posted by geer_matt View Post
    Don't know... but I do know CT Fletcher lifted again.
    "I COMMAND YOU TO GROW!"
    Ha ha, if only my muscles would listen!
    ― Seneca

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't squat, DL, or BB bench. There's life after the big 3.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agree with above^^^ get a second opinion talk to a doctor that works with athletes.
    Any advise here is just here say since we are not doctors.
    I would try bodyweight exercise and may be TRX type straps for now.

One thing i would suggest you do is look up Louie Simmons about his back injury years ago.
    Doctors told him the same thing as you that his lifting days were over.
    He rehabbed himself back and used the reverse hyper machine for much of it.
    Im not saying this will help your issue but there is hope if someone like Simmons can come back from a devastating back injury to lift big weights again.