Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JoePietaro View Post
    I've been a sportswriter for over a decade and have covered everything from four Super Bowls, MLB playoff games, NBA, NHL, MLS, MMA and all of the main bodybuilding shows (NPC and IFBB) without ever having to pay for a press pass. So I have to correct you on your opening point. It is the JOB of the person granting media credentials to verify of the person/company is a legitimate member of the media. It has nothing to do with money and that is unethical and borderline criminal in nature to do so.

By Udit and the Parisos doing what they did, it polarizes how pathetic bodybuilding is in comparison to any other sport or athletic event. I can go on forever about just how bad this looks on not only the promoters themselves, but the sanctioning bodies, as well.

So charging for press passes doesn't happen in the real world, only the dysfunctional family that is bodybuilding. And it was refreshing to hear Thompson say what he did about this and he laughed about the entire situation when I brought it up, commenting on how ****ed up that was.
    Nothing unethical about charging for press passes, regardless of what other organizations do. Just as you say it's their job to verify, the same would still hold true even if they charged for press passes. If you don't like it, that's one thing. Is it bad for business? Like I said, there are pros and cons to it. If it increases long-run profit, then it's good for business. If not, then it's bad. If the issue is how many people will be able to afford press passes, then really one could argue so long as everyone who is part of the press can afford it, it's a good business idea because they will still attend while the IFBB gets some money out of it whereas before they didn't.

There are things I don't like either but that could possibly make business sense...like charging people who are even coaches of athletes. If all coaches get to attend for free, it means less people paying for tickets, and also could mean an inflow of coaches over time for people who simply wanna get in free. So I can see why they do it from a business standpoint even if I think that coaches of Olympia athletes should get in free, especially if they're coaching multiple competitors. Like last year or the year before when George Farah had to buy a VIP ticket to sit in the seated area to watch the women's events up close. I think he should've been allowed in the seated area, but I can understand from a business standpoint why it could make sense for them the charge him for a VIP ticket like everyone else who was seated there.

That may appear to be the case only because there are so many issues that have come up with the NPC/IFBB for years and Thompson's organization hasn't even been officially launched yet (11/8).

So, yes, I am totally looking at this objectively and as a journalist in the industry covering it.

When I cover the NFL, I take them (league, teams, players) to task when necessary. So why should I be silent in bodybuilding? I have no stake in Thompson whatsoever other than being the guy that he and his lawyers sought out to conduct that interview since I am obviously not going to be pro-IFBB like MD just because they don't have the balls to be otherwise.
    You know, not everyone is pro-IFBB out of cowardice. It's possible that maybe...just maybe...they simply hold a different opinion than your own. Shocking, I know. And I'm sure even people who like the IFBB still acknowledge its flaws and want to fix them. Then you got people like Marc Lobliner who has been very outspoken about corruption and favoritism in the NPC, and yet is still siding with them in this matter and wants to help them improve and clean up their game.
    Last edited by stealth_swimmer; 10-13-2015 at 07:43 PM.

nicknatty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by stealth_swimmer View Post
    Nothing unethical about charging for press passes, regardless of what other organizations do. Just as you say it's their job to verify, the same would still hold true even if they charged for press passes. If you don't like it, that's one thing. Is it bad for business? Like I said, there are pros and cons to it. If it increases long-run profit, then it's good for business. If not, then it's bad. If the issue is how many people will be able to afford press passes, then really one could argue so long as everyone who is part of the press can afford it, it's a good business idea because they will still attend while the IFBB gets some money out of it whereas before they didn't.
    This is a weird statement. Not exactly sure how you think putting a barrier between your organisation and any potential publicity would be "good for business", even factoring in any potential short-term financial gain to be made from charging for press passes (and really, any contribution to the overall profit margin would be a drop in the ocean).

If your organisation/event isn't getting any publicity then it's ultimately doomed. And charging journalists to do their job is borderline unethical.

JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    It is entirely unethical and can be construed as criminal. You're not part of the media & haven't dealt with this on a regular basis like I have. The media is allowed certain "privileges" like being granted access to do their jobs. They're not going in there waving pom poms.

And the media covering your event gives it promotion. It makes no sense to not allow a legitimate media member access. So when there is a monetary charge attached, it is a blatant example of shaking people down. It has nothing to do with me not liking it; it's a fact.

It's another example of a money grab by organizations that have terrible reputations for just that. In your scenario, the press has to pay to do their job to get paid while the NPC/IFBB collects money from them (double dipping in a sense because they are also getting promotion), the competitors and the gate.

How does that make sense to you?

There are things I don't like either but that could possibly make business sense...like charging people who are even coaches of athletes. If all coaches get to attend for free, it means less people paying for tickets, and also could mean an inflow of coaches over time for people who simply wanna get in free. So I can see why they do it from a business standpoint even if I think that coaches of Olympia athletes should get in free, especially if they're coaching multiple competitors. Like last year or the year before when George Farah had to buy a VIP ticket to sit in the seated area to watch the women's events up close. I think he should've been allowed in the seated area, but I can understand from a business standpoint why it could make sense for them the charge him for a VIP ticket like everyone else who was seated there.
    A competitor should have the luxury of having one backstage pass for his/her coach or friend to help get them ready with the oil, tanning spray, etc. But the way it's done now (at least in the NPC), that person has to buy a regular ticket and pay extra for backstage access. Again, double dipping.

You know, not everyone is pro-IFBB out of cowardice. It's possible that maybe...just maybe...they simply hold a different opinion than your own. Shocking, I know. And I'm sure even people who like the IFBB still acknowledge its flaws and want to fix them. Then you got people like Marc Lobliner who has been very outspoken about corruption and favoritism in the NPC, and yet is still siding with them in this matter and wants to help them improve and clean up their game.
    My opinion is my own and I don't give a crap if anyone agrees with it or not. My answer to them is to start your own magazine (not a blog, which is nonsense) so that you can have an outlet to do the same. I have plenty of people who send the magazine feedback via e-mail, social media posts and the like backing up not only my opinion, but those of our columnists like Gregg Valentino, Rich Piana, Bostin Loyd, Zack Khan, Dave Palumbo, Lee Priest, Ric Drasin, Denise Masino, etc. Lobliner even wrote a feature article in our Spring 2015 issue.
    Founding Editor - MuscleSport Magazine
    Co-Host - The Gregg & Joe Show
    Executive Producer - The Joseph Cumia Show

stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It is entirely unethical and can be construed as criminal. You're not part of the media & haven't dealt with this on a regular basis like I have. The media is allowed certain "privileges" like being granted access to do their jobs. They're not going in there waving pom poms.

And the media covering your event gives it promotion. It makes no sense to not allow a legitimate media member access. So when there is a monetary charge attached, it is a blatant example of shaking people down. It has nothing to do with me not liking it; it's a fact.

It's another example of a money grab by organizations that have terrible reputations for just that. In your scenario, the press has to pay to do their job to get paid while the NPC/IFBB collects money from them (double dipping in a sense because they are also getting promotion), the competitors and the gate.

How does that make sense to you?

A competitor should have the luxury of having one backstage pass for his/her coach or friend to help get them ready with the oil, tanning spray, etc. But the way it's done now (at least in the NPC), that person has to buy a regular ticket and pay extra for backstage access. Again, double dipping.

My opinion is my own and I don't give a crap if anyone agrees with it or not. My answer to them is to start your own magazine (not a blog, which is nonsense) so that you can have an outlet to do the same. I have plenty of people who send the magazine feedback via e-mail, social media posts and the like backing up not only my opinion, but those of our columnists like Gregg Valentino, Rich Piana, Bostin Loyd, Zack Khan, Dave Palumbo, Lee Priest, Ric Drasin, Denise Masino, etc. Lobliner even wrote a feature article in our Spring 2015 issue.

Blogs are essentially no different than magazines other than being digital vs paper and ink.

Anyways, as for what "makes sense" about charging media for passes - it's an entrance fee. That simple. You can like it or dislike it, but it definitely "makes sense" if it improves profits. It's not like you're harming anyone or doing something dishonest.

As for people having to pay money to "do their jobs" - i think it should be covered by the employer, but that's just my opinion.

JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000) JoePietaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Blogs are essentially no different than magazines other than being digital vs paper and ink.
    Blogs are a joke and starting one does not make someone a writer. Legitimate organizations recognize this and would not approve press credential requests for any .com until only a few years ago. You had to be either a print publication (magazine or newspaper) or multi-media (radio, TV). When the NY Islanders were dying for some extra coverage because they sucked so bad an no one gave a ****, they allowed bloggers into the press box. They were the laughing stock of the sportswriting industry for that.

That's like allowing a guy who can barely change a tire into a Mercedes dealer's service center to work on engines.

Anyways, as for what "makes sense" about charging media for passes - it's an entrance fee. That simple. You can like it or dislike it, but it definitely "makes sense" if it improves profits. It's not like you're harming anyone or doing something dishonest.
    No other media outlets have ever been charged to get access until these bodybuilding promoters. Doesn't that say something? An entrance fee? C'mon, bro. I'm trying to see your point at least a little bit but you have to admit that it is completely out of the ordinary or at least take my word for it if you are not in the media and have covered events with a press pass.

It makes no sense whatsoever except to gouge money out of people and the ones who paid it (like Steve Blechman for MD) are complete idiots and only made it worse for guys like Dave Palumbo who wouldn't do so.

So the promoters (Udit and Pariso) are doing people harm and something dishonest. They are shaking media outlets down to pony up money either in the form of title sponsorship for automatic press approval (Europa) or simply just holding their hand out (Udit).

As for people having to pay money to "do their jobs" - i think it should be covered by the employer, but that's just my opinion.
    Many companies do just that (like Blechy did), but in the case of RX Muscle, Dave Palumbo would have had to take the money out of his pocket since he runs it. The same would have been for myself if I cared to cover one of these boring redundant bodybuilding shows.
    Founding Editor - MuscleSport Magazine
    Co-Host - The Gregg & Joe Show
    Executive Producer - The Joseph Cumia Show

spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000) spamy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fun fact: remember that interview with Flex Lewis and the blonde interviewing him? She is (or was?) Lee's wife. But it turns out that she has her own issues, prolly that's why she was with him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0qQJISqrfs

Originally Posted by spamy View Post
    Fun fact: remember that interview with Flex Lewis and the blonde interviewing him? She is (or was?) Lee's wife. But it turns out that she has her own issues, prolly that's why she was with him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0qQJISqrfs

Yup, nobody's perfect. That being said, here's her side of things. Granted, she could just be holding a grudge against Lee and be making stuff up, but much of what she talks about when it comes to his manipulative personality and stuff like that sounds very similar to what I've seen people say about Lee on various Instagram comments since I started following people just recently.

Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ikatsu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how did this thread turn into high school

kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kingtung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by spamy View Post
    fun fact: Remember that interview with flex lewis and the blonde interviewing him? She is (or was?) lee's wife. But it turns out that she has her own issues, prolly that's why she was with him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qqjisqrfs

lol!
    If you have spare green pixels, send them over.

99% Natural Freak of Nature, using only the best liquid-injectable-creatine supplements from bb.com, Celltech Nutrition.

Im not fat im natural - peace out bye.

do i have brotential BartPimpson's Avatar
    BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BartPimpson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cliffs: Lee Thompson abused his ex-wife for years + threatened to kill her. She has texts and photographs of bruises etc to back it up.

Yikes.
    We're dodging more ninjitsu attacks than Flex Wheeler. We're ducking more bullets than George Farah. We're facing more death than a kid leg pressing at Branch Warren's gym.

You can't stop us. You can't hold us back.

IFBB brahs über alles.

endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) endurancell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everything about this chick, video and the way she presents these scripted tales about how terrible Lee was screams Munchausen syndrome
    Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear; The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all.

"He seems to be holding a slight film of glycogen.. his pizza levels could be 1 or 2 lower as well"

du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500) du3ce is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yup, nobody's perfect. That being said, here's her side of things. Granted, she could just be holding a grudge against Lee and be making stuff up, but much of what she talks about when it comes to his manipulative personality and stuff like that sounds very similar to what I've seen people say about Lee on various Instagram comments since I started following people just recently.

god damn her face is full of botox compared to the one where she interviewed flex looks like a mess