critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Postpartum back issues

I've never, ever had back funkiness, but since about 6 mo. into my pregnancy, my lower back is just off. It made sense during pregnancy because I had a huge weight pulling on it and somewhat so now because I get into odd positions carrying and breastfeeding, etc. Nonetheless, it's really starting to get frustrating. I thought squats, deads and hyperextensions would make a big difference because they'd strengthen my lower back. But what is really happening is that, during a heavier squat, I feel it in my lower spine... and during deads, there's this non-muscular discomfort at the beginning of the pull. Hyperextensions, on the other hand, feel great during the exercise, but after, I feel like I have to stretch ad infinitum.

Not sure what to do at this point... stop the squats and deads and go low weight until it passes? Go to the chiro or some other doc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. Back issues are a downer. It's affecting cardio, too. So maddening. I should add that recovery days are also uncomfortable. It's somewhat painful to bend over, etc. I mean - I *know* if the weights are exacerbating it, I shouldn't do them. But I think, not just aesthetically, but practically, I also need them to strengthen my lower back.

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by critterbug View Post
    I've never, ever had back funkiness, but since about 6 mo. into my pregnancy, my lower back is just off. It made sense during pregnancy because I had a huge weight pulling on it and somewhat so now because I get into odd positions carrying and breastfeeding, etc. Nonetheless, it's really starting to get frustrating. I thought squats, deads and hyperextensions would make a big difference because they'd strengthen my lower back. But what is really happening is that, during a heavier squat, I feel it in my lower spine... and during deads, there's this non-muscular discomfort at the beginning of the pull. Hyperextensions, on the other hand, feel great during the exercise, but after, I feel like I have to stretch ad infinitum.

Not sure what to do at this point... stop the squats and deads and go low weight until it passes? Go to the chiro or some other doc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. Back issues are a downer. It's affecting cardio, too. So maddening. I should add that recovery days are also uncomfortable. It's somewhat painful to bend over, etc. I mean - I *know* if the weights are exacerbating it, I shouldn't do them. But I think, not just aesthetically, but practically, I also need them to strengthen my lower back.
    Squats, deadlifts and spinal hyperextensions are literally the worst things you could possibly be doing right now. During and after pregnancy, your anterior core goes to shiit. Literally. The baby forces your abdominals apart and it takes a long time to get them to work together again. The problem is not that your lower back is too weak. It's that it's too SHORT and TIGHT, and you do not need to do any more back extension work. As a matter of fact, it's hurting you.

Stop lifting - STOP! - and back off for a short while. Work on getting your abdominals strong and firing again. Pilates is excellent for this. Once you're able to stabilize your abs and stop hyperextending your back, then start lifting again.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wouldn't stop lifting...but maybe reduce weights a bit until there is no discomfort and start from there.

Have you tried using a lifting belt on the heavier compound lifts?
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    I wouldn't stop lifting...but maybe reduce weights a bit until there is no discomfort and start from there.

Have you tried using a lifting belt on the heavier compound lifts?
    She doesn't need a belt - she needs to create the stability using her own abdominals. Using a belt will only allow her to push further past what her body can stabilize.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lexinak View Post
    She doesn't need a belt - she needs to create the stability using her own abdominals. Using a belt will only allow her to push further past what her body can stabilize.
    She can use a belt as it is still a useful tool...

You do your lower weight reps without the belt to slowly build back up core strength and the last few heavier sets with the belt if she's wanting to increase the weight. It's the same principal as using straps to deadlift beyond your grip strength capabilities.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks so much for the replies. You're both right in a sense, according to both my family physician and the chiropractor. To update: my family doc recommended alternating supermans and cat/cow poses, as she agreed it was a core strength issue, not lower back. And the chiropractor said that my right SI was out and did some popping and gave me some stretches for that. Neither insisted that I shouldn't squat any more, though both said to lighten the weight until the back problem passes. The chiro, though, just recommended anything other than squats because he doesn't like the way they compress the spine - he basically said that it's not a lifelong therapeutic exercise, but realized it wasn't necessarily easy not to. So he said if I'm going to anyway, I should at least use a belt for now. And, lex, he said no back hyperextensions until everything is back to normal as it will exacerbate the SI problem. So thank you to you both for your excellent advice.