MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100)

High weight/low reps vs. low weight/high reps

I need someone to set the record straight about this. I've heard different things from different people and at this point I'm not sure what is true and what isn't.

What is the difference between doing high weight/low reps VS low weight/high reps?

In the past, I had heard that low weight/high reps was better for muscle endurance and leanness and was good for avoiding too much bulk.
    And that high weight/low reps was more for bulk and mass.

But recently I've been hearing exactly the opposite. The reason I'm asking this is because I want to build muscle (I'm pretty lean and don't have too much muscle), but I play the sport of golf, and I do not want to get TOO bulky. I want to add muscle but keep it lean and defined vs. getting massive and bulky.

So what is the truth when it comes to weight and reps? What does high weight/low reps actually do in contrast from low weight/high reps?

And for me, what would be my best option for building muscle but focusing more on definition and endurance vs. mass and bulk? Would the best plan just to forget about the two extreme sides and just stick with mid weight/mid reps?

TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheYellowKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You dont get it OP, its hard to get big,it takes years of proper training,diet,sleep etc...concerning the reps it depends from individual to individual, what might work for me might not work for you, try both techniques and see which works best for your goals, even tough high weight low reps is more strength than mass cuz u dont focus much on the mind muscle connection thing which u can do better only with low weight high reps... My 0.02 cents

MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100) MrElculver2424 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Bumping for more help; still no answer to what the difference is and what I'm better off doing

over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) over9kkcal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "but I play the sport of golf, and I do not want to get TOO bulky. I want to add muscle but keep it lean and defined vs. getting massive and bulky. "

What are you, a teenage woman? Do you think you can get massive and bulky overnight?

TheYellowKing gave you all the info you need.
    If you want a girly physique go low weight high reps and accomplish basically nothing. OR go high weight low reps and build muscle.

Higher weight = more muscle. It's that simple

ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShammyHam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just do moderate weight and high reps, 8-12
    My opinion.

Originally Posted by over9kkcal View Post
    "but I play the sport of golf, and I do not want to get TOO bulky. I want to add muscle but keep it lean and defined vs. getting massive and bulky. "

What are you, a teenage woman? Do you think you can get massive and bulky overnight?

TheYellowKing gave you all the info you need.
    If you want a girly physique go low weight high reps and accomplish basically nothing. OR go high weight low reps and build muscle.

Higher weight = more muscle. It's that simple
    Man, you're pretty pissy.

I wanted a clear answer because different people have told me different things in the past and obviously some of them must be wrong, and I wanted to know which it was.

No need to be so nasty and rude. Just give the information. Is it that hard?

I never said anyone could get massive and bulky overnight. That's not even relevant to what I was talking about. I was asking what is the difference between doing high weight/low reps vs low weight/high reps. One should be better for building mass, and the other should be better for building endurance and keeping muscle lean. I wanted to know which was which.

Also, by "low weight" I'm not talking about practically NO weight. You would still struggle to get your last few reps up. But the weight is slightly lower so you can do a few more reps. Example: doing 25 lbs for 14 reps vs. 30 lbs for 8 reps.

Originally Posted by ShammyHam View Post
    Just do moderate weight and high reps, 8-12
    My opinion.
    That's what I've been leaning towards doing. Thanks for your imput.

ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should google rep ranges..

There are different types of hypertrophy . Myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic.. Different rep ranges train the different fibers differently.. Read about it..

1-5 reps= strength training
    6-12 reps= optimal hypertrophy
    13+= endurance..

For golf you probably want to be strong and flexible without putting on weight. So I would go with low reps high weight if I was in your position

Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What works for me is low reps, heavy weight on the big compound lifts for overall strength, and 8-12 reps on isolation movements for hypertrophy. This though is geared toward my goals, and what works for me. What works for me might not work for you. But saying you play golf, and you "dont wanna get too bulky", I would go low reps heavy weight on compound lifts for golf strength.
    Getting stronger and faster

StefanMcFeeters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why not just periodise your rep ranges. If you use one rep range one week then another rep range the next, your getting the best of both worlds.
    Typically 4-6 reps targets gains in strength. 8-12 reps targets hyper trophy and 13+ targets endurance. Mix them up and see what works for you.

Thanks for those above three replies. Very helpful and I will experiment more and see what works best for me!

s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No do not listen to any of these responses.

Low reps and high weight are generally best for compound movements. Isolations can be at 8-12.

What I suggest you do is get on a actual popular routine. Like BLSS or 5x5. Excellent full body routines for beginners.

Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zshue2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by s58 View Post
    No do not listen to any of these responses.

Low reps and high weight are generally best for compound movements. Isolations can be at 8-12.
    Did I not say this above?

and egg whites (nohomo) IReallyLoveOats's Avatar
    IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000) IReallyLoveOats is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've wasted too much time doing a million reps at 50% PR. To grow, you MUST shock your muscles (as Arnold would put it) you MUST lift heavy! Every day you should be attempting a new PR for the respective muscle group being trained. The caveat is form, while pushing your max, you must have clean form.

For ectomorphs, such as myself, this is particularly critical to do.
    Snapchat: Consultant1234

Positive crew checking in <3
    we all gon make it! <3

NPC Physique competitor that has poverty 4pk ab genetics lol

Latinas or GTFO crew

s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Zshue2 View Post
    Did I not say this above?
    No you did not. 5 reps can gain just as much muscle as 8-12 reps.

5 reps is best for compound movements since they generally have big range of motion and 5 reps will make it easier to track strength with thus leading to more muscle.

8-12 reps if for isolations just so you don't get injured. Isolations are not meant to go heavy with and do low reps on. You would benefit from them more by doing higher reps

Op, just get on a routine and get a good diet.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In the past, I had heard that low weight/high reps was better for muscle endurance and leanness and was good for avoiding too much bulk.
    And that high weight/low reps was more for bulk and mass.
    No rep scheme is practically good for 'leanness'. How lean you are comes through diet, ie a caloric deficit over time.

But recently I've been hearing exactly the opposite. The reason I'm asking this is because I want to build muscle (I'm pretty lean and don't have too much muscle), but I play the sport of golf, and I do not want to get TOO bulky. I want to add muscle but keep it lean and defined vs. getting massive and bulky.

If you intentionally try your best to gain strength and muscle size for three entire years and with a touch of luck in the genetics department you'd look about this big. I'm saying this because I think you need a reference as to how much muscle you can actually gain naturally.

So what is the truth when it comes to weight and reps? What does high weight/low reps actually do in contrast from low weight/high reps?
    They both build muscle. Lowish reps can tend to be easier for many people to progress on on compound movements which is an important consideration. This doesn't make higher reps useless, though.

And for me, what would be my best option for building muscle but focusing more on definition and endurance vs. mass and bulk? Would the best plan just to forget about the two extreme sides and just stick with mid weight/mid reps?

Definition comes through diet. As for endurance... Depends what sense of the word you mean. If you want to be able to walk around for 6 hours, then the best activity for this purpose is actually doing it. If you want to be really good at lifting weight for 20 reps, then a combination of heavy and lighter lifting of weights will serve you well.

Also, while I'm not saying it's bad or inferior to do compound movements for moderate reps, you should consider this post

What I suggest you do is get on a actual popular routine. Like BLSS or 5x5. Excellent full body routines for beginners.

at least as much as you have considered the other ones.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

No you did not. 5 reps can gain just as much muscle as 8-12 reps.

5 reps is best for compound movements since they generally have big range of motion and 5 reps will make it easier to track strength with thus leading to more muscle.

8-12 reps if for isolations just so you don't get injured. Isolations are not meant to go heavy with and do low reps on. You would benefit from them more by doing higher reps

Op, just get on a routine and get a good diet.
    I'm pretty sure I did. "What works for me is low reps, heavy weight on the big compound lifts for overall strength, and 8-12 reps on isolation movements for hypertrophy." -Me

Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Puggy858 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try different things. Vary your rep ranges. Incorporate different types of sets.
    I've just started training Y3T, check it out. It starts low rep ranges, moderate rep ranges, then high rep ranges.
    On a three week cycle. I'm not sure about it's intentions to gain a lot strength but it has worked for a lot of people in gaining muscle.

Sometimes though keep it simple. I know for example Kai's Greenes chest routine is largely big compound lifts 8-12 reps, and a few isolation/accessory movements 15-20 reps. But then again it sort of follows the rule, that you must vary your rep ranges.