LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000) LETHAL BURN is a name known to all. (+5000)

If you had to do Shoulder and Legs same day

If you guys had to do your shoulders and your legs on one day what would you guys do? I had a mess up in schedule this week so I am forced to do my legs and shoulders together. Anyone have a program that would be helpful?
    www.spartanfitness.net

Muay Thai and Jitz

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to train shoulders and legs on the same day about a year ago, i found it a pretty good workout. IMO the best way to warm up both groups would be by doing some cleans. after that I would do soemthing like this

Squats
    Barbell lunges
    legpress
    Stiff legged deadlift
    leg curls

Seated military press
    DB military press
    lateral raises
    rear delt raises

You can be the judge on sets and reps, I personally would use 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    i do shoulders and legs at the same time- low volume for the legs as i am in the rugby season now but

squat
    sldl
    calve raises

hang-clean-press
    side laterals
    reverse flyes

barbell shrugs
    dumbell shrugs

Jstyr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No offense Retard-Pex but why would you do stiff legged deads on leg/shoulder day? Regualr deads I could understand but stiff legged ones target just the lower back.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    rubbish sldl does the hammies...

Jstyr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by scott_donald
    rubbish sldl does the hammies...
    I didn't know, I've never done them just seems like all the action would be in the lower back. Though now that you mention it I think the hamstrings and erector spinae are synergistic muscles. I used to do hamstring curls and would always fight to keep my lower back out of the movement.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tried doing shoulders and legs on the same day. But I felt after I had worked out my legs (beat them to **** everytime) I have no evergy else where.

I sat down on the thingy and tried doing db shoulder presses and I just felt weak around my feet. And for some reason my legs started moving by themselves!!!

*legs run away from mike*
    *mike*
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    i'm currently doing legs and shoulders on the same day her's what i do

squat (4) 1*10/1*8//1*6//1*3
    lunges (2) 2*8(every leg)
    stiff legged deads (2) 2*6-8

push press (2) 2*6
    shoulder press (1) *6
    cuban press (2) 2*6

i would do clean & jerk but after legs i can't lift anything on my hamms anymore not even a clean& jerk weight

Message Board King holyshinto63's Avatar
    holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    SLDL are a hamstring exercise but the lower back is also hit pretty hard in that exercise. Its a hamsting/lower back exercise. This goes for good mornings too.
    and what exactly is a dream, and what exactly is a joke?

arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) arbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do sholders on leg day and I cycle- 1set squat then 1set arms, then 1set squats... This way I get lot of rest between legs.

LouFrigNo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i spend about 3-4 hours on wednesday doing legs and shoulders.I like doing them on same days because i feel a pump in lower/upper body.

Legs:
    squats - 6x8-10 (2x warm up)
    db lunges- 4x16(alternating)
    leg extensions - 5-6x15 or failure
    leg curls - 5-6x8-10
    bb calf raises - 6xfailure

abs:
    4x100 crunches

Shoulders:
    standing military press and/or seated db press- 4x8-10
    front lat. raises- 4x8-10
    side lat. raises- 4x8-10
    seated side lat. raises-4x8-10
    db rows-4x8-10

holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LouFrigNo, i'd say 3-4 hours is way to much. 6 sets? 400 crunches...just add some weight to those crunches and you do know that after about an hour of lifting, the rest of the time your efforts are cut in half (so your putting out 100% but because your body is releasing certain hormones, your gains will be cut to about 50%)...i'd keep it between an hour to an hour and 1/2 at most.

Originally posted by LouFrigNo
    i spend about 3-4 hours on wednesday doing legs and shoulders.I like doing them on same days because i feel a pump in lower/upper body.

Legs:
    squats - 6x8-10 (2x warm up)
    db lunges- 4x16(alternating)
    leg extensions - 5-6x15 or failure
    leg curls - 5-6x8-10
    bb calf raises - 6xfailure

abs:
    4x100 crunches

Shoulders:
    standing military press and/or seated db press- 4x8-10
    front lat. raises- 4x8-10
    side lat. raises- 4x8-10
    seated side lat. raises-4x8-10
    db rows-4x8-10
    why doews that take you so long- recommended to spend an 1 hour in the gym after about 1 and a half hours your body startts to produce cortisol which will have negative effects on your body...

i guess if i was doing 5 or 6 sets for legs, 4 sets for shoulders and 400 crunches, that might take me a long time too...but then again, i would think about trying to keep it under 1 1/2 hours

r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) r6phantom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    push press, quads and shoulder compound.

PSUPOWER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by r6phantom
    push press, quads and shoulder compound.
    that is what I would do..

Heavy Push-Press or Clean and Press

Heavy Squats or Front-Squats

Hang-Clean

Barbell Lunges

dholt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The hamstrings are involved in knee flexion and flexion at the hip. That is why you want to perform RDLs (or SSDLs) and leg curls to fully work the hamstring muscles.

There is also no reason to spend 3 hours in the gym. I can't fathom anyone actually doing this and getting the desired results they are seeking unless there goals are strickly social. But back to the question at hand "shoulder and leg day" - what is your goal? Are you trying to gain mass, strength, or what? And what else are you doing? The shoulders are involved in a lot of other exercies and until you take into consideration the total volume of your other exercises it is hard for anyone to give you an even close recomendation as to what you should do.

Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you train legs and shoulders together you could try doing some overhead squats! Or do some hybird exercises, like a clean straight into a front squat straight into a pushpress etc....

quadimoso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also do legs/shoulders on the same day, this is my workout:
    Legs
    BB Squat
    Leg extensions
    Lying Hamstring Curl

Shoulders
    DB Military press
    Side Lateral Raises
    Are you big or do you just look big?

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i do

2set front squat
    2set squat
    2set chain squat
    2set close-stance squat
    1set partial grip deadlift
    2set reverse-grip bb shrugs
    2set miltiary press
    2set cuban rotations
    Booo

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First of all I'd never do this because my shoulders lag and I do a ****load of sets for legs, but if I was going to combine the two this is what I'd do.

Deads
    Squats
    SLDL's
    Hamstring Curls
    Clean and Press
    Side Laterals
    Bent Over Laterals

I'd probably keep it to 3 sets each for myself, but the volume really depends on the person.

I don't usually do Clean and Press, but since your legs are already pretty fatigued this should finish them off, and start off the shoulders at the same time, which is good.

B.Grimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My question is how in Hades can you have the energy to do another major muscle after legs? An hour & 1/2 on legs until I want to hurl and I barely have enough stength to get to my truck. The legs do a lot of work on an average day just walking the body around. To make them grow you really got to kill them on their day in the gym. Shoulders work with so many other exercises during the other days, I'd skip it or throw it in lightly with another upper body part.

Never legs though. They need their own day.
    Last edited by B.Grimm; 10-04-2003 at 09:16 AM.
    "...Psssst... It's clobberin' time." -- The Thing