Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    53 Miles West of Venus Human Rocket's Avatar
    Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000)

Ask A Guy Who Just Had Sleep Apnea Surgery (UPPP + tonsilectomy) Anything.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/heal...cs/sleepapnea/

Last sleep studyI had said I stopped breathing 28 times per hour which would make this a moderate case of sleep apnea. Had tried CPAP but couldn't tolerate it. Neither could my wife. It was very noisy, didn't seal well.

This is the procedure I had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty

Had it on Thursday morning. Was supposed to be a completely outpatient affair but there was a blood vessel that wouldn't stop bleeding and they wound up putting me under again to cauterize the blood vessel. Didn't get released until Saturday. Don't remember much of my hospital stay because I was always loopy on morphine.

Am in a fair amount of pain, spitting up old dried blood and trying to get down whatever soft foods I can tolerate. Expect to lose 15 lbs or so over the next few weeks. Started out at 215.

So if you are curious about my experience then ask away. Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor and anything I have to say may be broscience at best.
    And there's a plague of locusts upon us
    And there's a nightmare in the swarm
    And there's a lion out in the desert
    Slouching towards Bethlehem to be born again
    Backstreet's back alright... Alright...

cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50) cockywop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No questions right now but be sure to update in the up coming weeks and months.
    "Unless you're a 14 year old girl what kind of pussy actually takes the time and effort to neg someone. Pathetic" -Author unknown

Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction and that and going from a 19.25 inch neck to a 17.5 seems to have fixed my sleep apnea. I had a sleep study that showed no problems now.

My question is how large was your neck?
    Its not enough!

Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000)
    One thing the doc said that made my surgery so difficult was that since I was a weight lifter there was a lot of extra tissue in my throat. So just be warned. If my experience is any indication, bodybuilding can exacerbate sleep apnea and make recovery from it more difficult.

I didn't do a pre-measurement. Just had the wife measure my neck at 19" May go down a little more because of swelling.

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I hope all goes well for you. I have sleep apnea too. But im doing well with the c-pap.
    2012 was a year of on and off training due to miss-hap's. I had broken ribs,pulled something under my shoulder blade. Then had a total hip replacement. Got soft around the edges. Now time for a comeback. 1st year in. So far things are going great!!
    April 11th 2014 double bypass surgery. So another set back grrrrrr.

If The Bar Ain't Bending... You're Just Pretending.

There is no pill or shake. That can replace hard work.

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did your nurses have those stockings with the line up the back? Also, did they perform sponge baths ?

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had the same exact surgery in 2007. They had problems with the breathing tube, said I had a short muscular neck. So I have to tell anyone who puts me out to use a child's breathing tube. They kept me overnight because of the breathing tube irritated my throat so badly.

I had liquid pain medication, pretty cool stuff. I lived on Blue Bunny ice cream for a week. One thing you may notice is when drinking water, it may go right up your nose at first. After the swelling went down it was much better. I still have to be careful not to inhale things like rice.

And I still snored, but a lot less. I had another sleep study after the surgery, less the CPAP and another one when they used the CPAP and did a titration. Without the surgery, I would have had to have the CPAP on full blast, mine is set at a 4.

Good luck with your recovery. I lost maybe 10 lbs after my surgery.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

Originally Posted by djflex View Post
    Did your nurses have those stockings with the line up the back? Also, did they perform sponge baths ?
    No sponge baths but there were these things on my calves that would massage them periodically (I guess to prevent bed sores and cramps) and whenever I got a shot of morphine and those things came on it was absolute bliss.

Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    I had the same exact surgery in 2007. They had problems with the breathing tube, said I had a short muscular neck. So I have to tell anyone who puts me out to use a child's breathing tube. They kept me overnight because of the breathing tube irritated my throat so badly.
    Thanks for the advice. My brother who is older than me had the same surgery when he was about my age. He doesn't lift though so it's definitely genetic. Short stocky neck and all.

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Human Rocket View Post
    No sponge baths but there were these things on my calves that would massage them periodically (I guess to prevent bed sores and cramps) and whenever I got a shot of morphine and those things came on it was absolute bliss.
    Kinda disappointed.

But glad surgery came out ok!

ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The wikipedia article says that there are complications sometimes with scar tissue from the surgery becoming enlarged and blocking the airway even worse than before. Were you scared this could happen to you? Could it still happen over time if your scars grow like that?

Originally Posted by ragexzero View Post
    The wikipedia article says that there are complications sometimes with scar tissue from the surgery becoming enlarged and blocking the airway even worse than before. Were you scared this could happen to you? Could it still happen over time if your scars grow like that?
    It's not something I had considered. I kind of went into this knowing that that odds of a permanent cure are very low. Sleep apnea almost never goes away completely after surgery and can come back with associated weight gain. I should probably try to lean out after I recover.

But like one poster said above, even if I still have to do CPAP I will likely be able to do it at lower setting. Easier for me to tolerate and quieter for my wife.

ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ragexzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Are you in a lot of pain? Does it feel strange to have your airway clear for once?

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had a UPPP, tonsilectomy, polypectomy, septoplasty and turbinectomy in January 2004. I had the Mother of All Sore Throats for almost two weeks. I was out of work for two weeks because of the meds., but a day or two before going back to work, the sore throat went away completely. But for a month I was blowing out of my nose what can only be described as dried currants. That was when I could finally blow my nose. The surgeon told me not to blow my nose for one week until I went for my post-op visit.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

ralavoie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had UPPP, tonsils removed, adnoids removed, and my throat widened with a laser almost 10 years ago. It solved my sleep apnea and snoring issues for several years....... then I got fat. I have been back on the cpap for a few years now.

I have lost 50 lbs and I think I am getting close to the point where I am going to request another sleep study to see if I can toss the cpap again. When I occasionally sleep without the cpap I no longer feel like a truck ran over my head.

Doctor told me up front that 85% of the people who get it say they would not do it again due to the recovery pain and there was a 50% chance it could help. My wife can't sleep in the same room with the c-pap so I saw the risk well worth the pain.

Relearning how to drink without it going up my nose was interesting. It also is strange not being physically able to make the pig "oink" sound anymore.

was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) was strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ive worked in field and ents love the procedure (makes them a lot of $). what made sense to me was cpap if you have something more than a mild case (unless something is abnormal like an enlarged tonsil).
    the mask leak for many with cpap is why it bothers them. finding the right mask and pressure for your machine is crucial. a lot of people arent set up right and end up sol and hate it.
    the two masks i swear by for most if they fit right are the wisp (size large) and mirage quatro for a full face.

It sounds like you are on the high side for a complete fix all (perhaps if its not resolved all the way you could get some more relief with a dental appliance to help seal the deal).

Best of luck and hope you are of the hook!!!
    "Life is like a cup of tea, it's all in how you make it". (Irish proverb)

Originally Posted by ragexzero View Post
    Are you in a lot of pain? Does it feel strange to have your airway clear for once?
    The pain is there. Eating lots of jello pudding and drinking milk. Tried eggs but I scrambled them too hard. You have to train yourself to close your throat a little differently. And stuff can back up into your nose more easily.

I'm not sure if I can tell that my passageway is clear just yet. The first two days I was home I was still clearing a lot of old brown blood out of my system. Lots of phlegm, especially at night. A guy who went through the surgery suggested I take mucinex at night.

I
    Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    I had a UPPP, tonsilectomy, polypectomy, septoplasty and turbinectomy in January 2004. I had the Mother of All Sore Throats for almost two weeks. I was out of work for two weeks because of the meds., but a day or two before going back to work, the sore throat went away completely. But for a month I was blowing out of my nose what can only be described as dried currants. That was when I could finally blow my nose. The surgeon told me not to blow my nose for one week until I went for my post-op visit.
    I'm out of work until Jan 27th. I was lucky to have plenty of sick leave saved up. I really hope to be feeling better by this weekend so maybe I can enjoy my time off a little. And by enjoy I don't mean do much of anything.

Originally Posted by ralavoie View Post
    It also is strange not being physically able to make the pig "oink" sound anymore.
    Hahaha... I'm glad I didn't actually LOL at that cause it hurts to laugh still. But when I get better that's one of the first things I'm going to try.

Originally Posted by was strong View Post
    ive worked in field and ents love the procedure (makes them a lot of $).
    My ENT doctor painted a much more rosy picture of this than my sleep doctor did. And when your ENT is willing to waive your co-pay then you know they are making bank from the insurance company. Thanks for the well wishes. Will rep on recharge.

Worst day ever for pain last night and this morning. Taking liquid lortabs gets me about two and half hours of sleep. When I do sleep a lot of phelgm collects and hurts like hell coughing it up.

Also lortabs (hydrocodone/acetomeniphin) gives me these awfully lurid ultra-vivid, technicolor dreams which I could really do without.

Hang in there. I'm interested in how long it takes for you to recover. I still haven't done a proper sleep study so I have UNdiagnosed apnea. It's my lifetime DREAM to breathe easier, both during sleep and during the day. I need to do something about it very soon.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ralavoie View Post
    I had UPPP, tonsils removed, adnoids removed, and my throat widened with a laser almost 10 years ago. It solved my sleep apnea and snoring issues for several years....... then I got fat. I have been back on the cpap for a few years now.

I have lost 50 lbs and I think I am getting close to the point where I am going to request another sleep study to see if I can toss the cpap again. When I occasionally sleep without the cpap I no longer feel like a truck ran over my head.

Doctor told me up front that 85% of the people who get it say they would not do it again due to the recovery pain and there was a 50% chance it could help. My wife can't sleep in the same room with the c-pap so I saw the risk well worth the pain.

Relearning how to drink without it going up my nose was interesting. It also is strange not being physically able to make the pig "oink" sound anymore.
    My weight has been about the same as before I had the surgery, went for the CPAP, etc. I am a lot stronger now though.

I would do similar surgery again, it wasn't that bad for me. I was having brickwork done at my house and the workers would roust me now and then out of my stupor to ask me a question on something.. lucky the job came out okay...

I have the Resmed S8 Escape CPAP, which is fairly quiet and no bigger than a clock radio. I keep it on the bottom shelf of my night stand. I would try to place a cardboard box over it with some foam panels glued to the inside. Leave it open in the back so it can draw in air.

As far as the pig noise goes, that's one of the noises they asked me to make when they do the set up for the sleep study I had after my surgery. The drinking thing gets better within a few weeks.

Rob

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In to hear long term effects. I have lived with CPAP going on year 8. Only thing I do not like is being 100% dependent on electricity for life.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    I would do similar surgery again, it wasn't that bad for me. I was having brickwork done at my house and the workers would roust me now and then out of my stupor to ask me a question on something.. lucky the job came out okay...
    I would have it done again too, despite the initial pain. Before surgery I got so little deep sleep I'd fall asleep at red lights and sitting just about anywhere including my desk at work. The CPAP wouldn't work for me because my problem was in exhaling. My whole pharynx would close of like a trap door shutting and I'd gasp to open it. This would happen even while I was walking.

As far as the pig noise goes, that's one of the noises they asked me to make when they do the set up for the sleep study I had after my surgery. The drinking thing gets better within a few weeks.

Rob
    I can still make that noise (this is a dubious thing to be proud of, isn't it? ), but I have to be careful swallowing food and liquids. For some reason I can easily aspirate and have it go down the "wrong pipe". As soon as I feel that I have to force a cough, kind of like the Heimlich Maneuver but without the hands, and it comes flying out. It's kind of scary.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

I guess this is where I ask you guys a question. I had expected this to be an outpatient procedure and since I have pretty good insurance didn't expect my out of pocket expenses to be that much. Maybe a few hundred bucks tops. How screwed am I now that it turned into a two night hospital stay.

Not interested in starting a debate about socialized healthcare. Take that to the R&P. Just want as good of a guess that anybody can come up with as to how much this might set me back. I have BCBS and it was what would have been considered a 'Cadillac' policy last year. Who knows what's changed for 2014.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I guess this is where I ask you guys a question. I had expected this to be an outpatient procedure and since I have pretty good insurance didn't expect my out of pocket expenses to be that much. Maybe a few hundred bucks tops. How screwed am I now that it turned into a two night hospital stay.
    Two words bro: Tor Eckman. He is a holistic healer and he only charges $38. He'll fix you right up!
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Not interested in starting a debate about socialized healthcare. Take that to the R&P. Just want as good of a guess that anybody can come up with as to how much this might set me back. I have BCBS and it was what would have been considered a 'Cadillac' policy last year. Who knows what's changed for 2014.
    My plan at the time carried a $500 per day hospital stay. I paid nothing out of pocket for anything else and the hospital let us pay it $100 at a time. I had BCBS until 2 years ago, which was a pretty good plan. My UPPP was done under Aetna.

Now for hospital stays, I pay 20% of that and the surgical fees the same deal. But my out of pocket max is reasonable.

Rob

Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    I would have it done again too, despite the initial pain. Before surgery I got so little deep sleep I'd fall asleep at red lights and sitting just about anywhere including my desk at work. The CPAP wouldn't work for me because my problem was in exhaling. My whole pharynx would close of like a trap door shutting and I'd gasp to open it. This would happen even while I was walking.

I can still make that noise (this is a dubious thing to be proud of, isn't it? ), but I have to be careful swallowing food and liquids. For some reason I can easily aspirate and have it go down the "wrong pipe". As soon as I feel that I have to force a cough, kind of like the Heimlich Maneuver but without the hands, and it comes flying out. It's kind of scary.
    If I had to drive anywhere more than an hour, I may have dozed off. Now I'm good for hours & hours. I'd conk out at my desk at work too, just after I had a full belly. And I snored... no idea how long I was out at times. We used to have a remote office so I got away with it. So my CPAP came along when I was moved into a really busy area.

Like I said earlier, I have to be careful about eating too fast, small things like rice, peas, etc can go right up my nose. Then I have to honk it back and it goes down my throat at a good velocity. I'm fine with liquids.

Rob