14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Is an olympic bar necessary?

I have (in my home gym) an olympic barbell, but not a barbell meant specifically for Olympic weightlifting. Is this a big deal? The collars spin pretty well
    Anti-Feminist Crew
    Tin foil hat Crew
    9/11 conspiracy Crew

Neg on Sight: TungBrah

14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 14packabs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bump
    Anti-Feminist Crew
    Tin foil hat Crew
    9/11 conspiracy Crew

Roderick van Scherpenzeel Scherpenzeel's Avatar
    Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you are going to compete i would recommand it. the reason is if you come to a competition and you train with a non olympic bar. you wouldnt feel comfortable with the olympic bar at the competition because you aint used to it.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Scherpenzeel View Post
    if you are going to compete i would recommand it. the reason is if you come to a competition and you train with a non olympic bar. you wouldnt feel comfortable with the olympic bar at the competition because you aint used to it.
    this would be the best reason. consistency. otherwise, just lift.

Originally Posted by Scherpenzeel View Post
    Thanks for the advice I probably will compete one day
    Anti-Feminist Crew
    Tin foil hat Crew
    9/11 conspiracy Crew

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 14packabs View Post
    Thanks for the advice I probably will compete one day
    In addition to spin of the sleeves, there will be a big difference in the diameter of the bar. A real weightlifting bar is thinner than typical bars, up to a 4 mm difference. You don't think this will mean much, but it will. You normally won't be able to effectively hook grip a regular bar due to the thickness and you'll want to practice this ASAP so that your thumbs and hands get used to it. Typical bars have no whip/spring either, and this can mess you up if you're not used to it, even with somewhat medium weight.

So, if you can afford it, get a real weightlifting bar, 28mm diameter. If you can, get bearings instead of bushings. Not as important because some of the better bushing bars still spin pretty well.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have (in my home gym) an olympic barbell, but not a barbell meant specifically for Olympic weightlifting. Is this a big deal? The collars spin pretty well
    To echo what has been said above, train with a proper weightlifting bar if you want to compete.

I didn't think there was much of a difference until I actually tried using some real olympic gear. They have a lot of whip, spin insanely fast and smooth, the knurling is not as deep and the smooth parts are in different places, and they are generally a few mm thinner in diameter compared to a standard olympic barbell. There is no comparison.

Originally Posted by olyw8lifter View Post
    In addition to spin of the sleeves, there will be a big difference in the diameter of the bar. A real weightlifting bar is thinner than typical bars, up to a 4 mm difference. You don't think this will mean much, but it will. You normally won't be able to effectively hook grip a regular bar due to the thickness and you'll want to practice this ASAP so that your thumbs and hands get used to it. Typical bars have no whip/spring either, and this can mess you up if you're not used to it, even with somewhat medium weight.
    I
    So, if you can afford it, get a real weightlifting bar, 28mm diameter. If you can, get bearings instead of bushings. Not as important because some of the better bushing bars still spin pretty well.
    I actually did notice the difference because for my first of training before olympic lifting had a super crappy bar I got free which was thinner. Can someone clarify what whip feels like ?
    Anti-Feminist Crew
    Tin foil hat Crew
    9/11 conspiracy Crew

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I actually did notice the difference because for my first of training before olympic lifting had a super crappy bar I got free which was thinner. Can someone clarify what whip feels like ?
    The bar will bend and oscillate when you catch a clean and/or start your dip and drive for the jerk. You won't really notice it until you get above 100kg for super whippy bars, or even higher for other bars. My ZKC bar I can feel at 100-110kg cleans and squats. On Pendlay bars, I've not felt it until I get to 130-140 squats (can't clean that much yet).

skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The bar will bend and oscillate when you catch a clean and/or start your dip and drive for the jerk. You won't really notice it until you get above 100kg for super whippy bars, or even higher for other bars. My ZKC bar I can feel at 100-110kg cleans and squats. On Pendlay bars, I've not felt it until I get to 130-140 squats (can't clean that much yet).
    you can feel the whip better one a girls bar.
    the one thing that i found to be a problem between an ordinary bar and an olympic lifting bar, the snatch lines(don't know the official name for them) vary on different bars and it makes a difference if you don't know it and set up using those lines. i have no problem with it for cleans, just snatches....i'm not sure if others have that issue...

Originally Posted by skuraishi View Post
    you can feel the whip better one a girls bar.
    the one thing that i found to be a problem between an ordinary bar and an olympic lifting bar, the snatch lines(don't know the official name for them) vary on different bars and it makes a difference if you don't know it and set up using those lines. i have no problem with it for cleans, just snatches....i'm not sure if others have that issue...
    Good catch!! I've noticed the same thing with the knurling marks (rings) on various bars, notably commercial bars v. Olympic bars. When I go to commercial gyms, they are always different. They can certainly mess you up, not getting the right hand spacing on the bar.

Oh, I know the whip is greater on a women's bar!! LOL!! But I have squatted on one before and the whip/oscillation can actually get annoying. That, and the thinness of the bar digging into your traps. I know many women who end up squatting with a men's bar due to that!!

WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I started an account just to ask for bar recommendations so I'll just piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one.

My cheap golds gym bar is about beat up. What's a good WL bar I can order online, that won't break the bank?? Preferably <$200. Looked at the Rogue's, but they're $275.

Originally Posted by WhewBo View Post
    I started an account just to ask for bar recommendations so I'll just piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one.

My cheap golds gym bar is about beat up. What's a good WL bar I can order online, that won't break the bank?? Preferably <$200. Looked at the Rogue's, but they're $275.
    None!!

Seriously, save more money. A good WL bar will run you about $250+, with the better bars being in the $400-$500 range. Try the Pendlay bushing bar, it goes for around $350 I think. Otherwise, you just have to look around. You can check out the Crossfit Equipment Board, there are several threads there comparing the different bars for use and price. You might find something there for around $200. However, to some degree, you do get what you pay for.

WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WhewBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    None!!

Seriously, save more money. A good WL bar will run you about $250+, with the better bars being in the $400-$500 range. Try the Pendlay bushing bar, it goes for around $350 I think. Otherwise, you just have to look around. You can check out the Crossfit Equipment Board, there are several threads there comparing the different bars for use and price. You might find something there for around $200. However, to some degree, you do get what you pay for.
    what about Rogues beater bar, or their economy bar? Both are around 200. How do they compare to the Rogue Bar??

It really seems like the only difference in the economy bar, and the Rogue Bar, is that they Rogue Bar has a lifetime warrenty, and the economy bar only has a year.

EDIT: also, as mentioned above, Im currently using the cheap as fuk golds gym bar. Does anyone know what the diameter on those bars are?? Are they 28.5mm?
    Last edited by WhewBo; 01-10-2014 at 06:30 AM.

what about Rogues beater bar, or their economy bar? Both are around 200. How do they compare to the Rogue Bar??

It really seems like the only difference in the economy bar, and the Rogue Bar, is that they Rogue Bar has a lifetime warrenty, and the economy bar only has a year.

EDIT: also, as mentioned above, Im currently using the cheap as fuk golds gym bar. Does anyone know what the diameter on those bars are?? Are they 28.5mm?
    Rogue Bars, especially the 2 you mentioned are not really meant for Olympic Weightlifting specifically. However, if you're not wanting to wait and save money, then Rogue bars are pretty good. I would try to find the least expensive true 28mm bar they carry and get that. I wouldn't worry about the warranty unless you're going to have several people lifting on it and you won't be supervising them. Just take care of it and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have not lifted on those specific bars, so can't really tell you. You might check out the Crossfit forum, as many of the lifters there have experience with the Rogue bars specifically.

Most cheap commercial bars are minimum 29mm, but the vast majority are 30-31mm diameter. Very thick and very difficult to hook grip on. I even have problems with 28.5mm bars on snatch with the hook grip (but my hands are small with somewhat stubby fingers).

Rogue Bars, especially the 2 you mentioned are not really meant for Olympic Weightlifting specifically. However, if you're not wanting to wait and save money, then Rogue bars are pretty good. I would try to find the least expensive true 28mm bar they carry and get that. I wouldn't worry about the warranty unless you're going to have several people lifting on it and you won't be supervising them. Just take care of it and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have not lifted on those specific bars, so can't really tell you. You might check out the Crossfit forum, as many of the lifters there have experience with the Rogue bars specifically.

Most cheap commercial bars are minimum 29mm, but the vast majority are 30-31mm diameter. Very thick and very difficult to hook grip on. I even have problems with 28.5mm bars on snatch with the hook grip (but my hands are small with somewhat stubby fingers).
    Not that I will probably get on due to price, I'll probably go with one of the cheaper rogues, but what are some low to mid range oly bars I should consider?? What are some brands I should be looking at??

Should a beginner get a bar with more, or less whip?

Here is what I will probably get...

Its $218, shipped..

http://www.roguefitness.com/mens-economy-bar.phpphp

Is there any reason I should not get this bar? Or is there a comparable option for a cheaper price that I'm not looking at?

Here is the link for a good thread on Crossfit Equipment forum talking about/comparing good barbells: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85613

bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bouwnt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if youre on a budget,

Cap OB-86B
    http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-Po.../dp/B001K4OPY2

mine came in last week, set PRs on clean and deadlift my first time using it.
    previous bar was a standard chrome pos

skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50) skuraishi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pendlay/Muscle Driver, especially the US site tends to have sales that can be applied to their bars. I'd go with a Pendlay bar over a Rogue bar any day.

WhewBoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure why my account above was banned.

Anyways... In my continued research, I came across the "Get Rx'd" website, has anyone heard of them, or tried their bars? I cant post the link due to < 50 post, but Google the "get rx'd WOD 3.0 bar"

Its 28.0 mm, dual snap ring design, chrome, with bearings in the sleeves (2 per side, 4 total), for $160 + shipping

Also has a life time warranty against the sleeves separating, and breaking

My only concern is the bar is only rated at 700lbs, and not upwards of 1200lbs, or 1500lbs that you see from other budget bars. As an average garage lifter, Im not going anywhere near those weights, but just wonder how that rating would affect the bar over time?

This seems almost too good to be true. Ive never seen a bar with bearings for a price like that, even on other budget bars. The company claims to be the designer/wholesaler of their own equipment which is why they say they can keep the prices so low.

Again, anyone ever heard of, or used these bars?

Originally Posted by bouwnt View Post
    if youre on a budget,

Cap OB-86B

mine came in last week, set PRs on clean and deadlift my first time using it.
    previous bar was a standard chrome pos
    Ive seen a lot of talk about this bar on the web, but its a hybrid bar, and not an oly bar correct?

Should a beginner get a bar with more, or less whip?

Also can someone please answer this question for me?

How much whip should I be looking for? Also, if my lifts are pretty much around body weight to slightly higher, would the whip factor even come into play? Or is that just not even enough weight to be concerned about the whip, even on a more expensive bar?

How much weight do you need to put on say, a Pendlay nexgen brushing bar before it even becomes a factor?

Originally Posted by WhewBoo View Post
    Also can someone please answer this question for me?

How much whip should I be looking for? Also, if my lifts are pretty much around body weight to slightly higher, would the whip factor even come into play? Or is that just not even enough weight to be concerned about the whip, even on a more expensive bar?

How much weight do you need to put on say, a Pendlay nexgen brushing bar before it even becomes a factor?
    Whip is not something that will factor into your lifting if you're only right around bodyweight, unless your BW is really high. Most bars won't see much if any whip until you get above 140-150kg, if not higher.

Whip is not something that will factor into your lifting if you're only right around bodyweight, unless your BW is really high. Most bars won't see much if any whip until you get above 140-150kg, if not higher.
    BW is only 175, so it sounds like the whip factor is not something I should concern myself with.

What do you think of the bar I posted in post #21? Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by WhewBoo View Post
    BW is only 175, so it sounds like the whip factor is not something I should concern myself with.

What do you think of the bar I posted in post #21? Any thoughts?
    Seems pretty good, but now sure about the rating. I have heard the static rating is not a good determination of a good or bad bar, so not really sure what to think. However, bearings in the sleeves and 28mm diameter shaft are good things to have. And $160 is pretty cheap, so even if it only lasts a year, you got your money's worth compared to a cheapo bar.