PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000)

Need Suggestions On What Exercises To Do To Improve Soccer Performance?

I am 17 years old, 5'11 and 150lbs. By the end of the Summer, I want to have a stronger upper body/core and legs. I usually play as a left midfielder/wing or a striker. I would need that balance/strength to fend of defenders and win headers. What are good exercises for me to improve on? Are squats,deadlifts, and leg extensions fine? Any tips? Thanks

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bench, Overhead Press, Rows, Deadlifts, Oly Lifts, Squats.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wasting your time with leg extensions.

look at a 5x5 program. Rippetoes Starting strength.

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench
    shoulder Press
    Rows

and then add in core workouts like planks and others.

Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench
    shoulder Press
    Rows

This. Don't touch the leg extension machine.. Ever
    Start/Current/Goal:

Weight: 145/190/205
    1RM Bench: 155/315/365
    1RM Squat: 235/405/495
    Dead-hang Pullups: 3/25/30
    Deadlift: 235/375/495

ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ignmmulia has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lifting burble can be an option

Soccercoaching has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Same boat

Trying to improve soccer perfermance. I got decent muscle I think I need to work on stabilizer muscles for balance and to improve ankle strength. Any suggestions?

Registered backloader LiftingSteve93's Avatar
    LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LegitSalsa View Post
    Bench, Overhead Press, Rows, Deadlifts, Oly Lifts, Squats.
    This is what you need.

Deadlifts & squats specifically. Look up GHR's. those definitely help with athletic performance. The Oly lifts are very technical and learning them may actually detract from soccer. Maybe do push presses.
    My 400 incline press at 19 years old:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VN5bT0AVDCw

ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench
    shoulder Press
    Rows

starting strength is a vastly underrate book
    Rick Nadell MS, CSCS
    Owner, Performance Revolution
    www.performrev.com
    https://www.********.com/PerformanceRevolution
    https://twitter.com/perform_rev

ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LiftingSteve93 View Post
    This is what you need.

Deadlifts & squats specifically. Look up GHR's. those definitely help with athletic performance. The Oly lifts are very technical and learning them may actually detract from soccer. Maybe do push presses.
    I agree O-lifts are very technical and tough to teach - especially to a 17 year old. I love plyometrics though. Try and some simple squat jumps, sprint squat jumps, bounding, etc. These will mimic the triple extension of the ankles , knees and hips that we aim for in the O-lifts and does so in a far less technical manner.

Also, really hit the Deadlift and Romanian Deadlift. As a soccer player I'm willing to bet you're fairly quad dominant. Working the posterior chain will reduce your risk of injury.
    Rick Nadell MS, CSCS
    www.performrev.com

marktillert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PrinceAmir View Post
    I am 17 years old, 5'11 and 150lbs. By the end of the Summer, I want to have a stronger upper body/core and legs. I usually play as a left midfielder/wing or a striker. I would need that balance/strength to fend of defenders and win headers. What are good exercises for me to improve on? Are squats,deadlifts, and leg extensions fine? Any tips? Thanks
    Those are great exercises. Also, run alot. That may sound obvious, but muscle endurance is the key in soccor.

PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000) PrinceAmir is just really nice. (+1000)
    Repped guys, thanks!

BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigBray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've trained with Pro and semi pro clubs and can tell you that relatively light compound lifts with a higher rep range(to avoid injury)and High intensity cardio is what the pro teams spend most of there time doing during pre season.

You can't really train to win more balls in the air as 90% of it is teqnique. But stabilizers are key to the other 10% and there is often contact mid air before anyone makes contact with the ball so train your obliques and abs, you can practice adjusting to contact as well.

The new official FIFA warmup suggests jogging at a partner jumping to bump shoulders midair and adjusting to land normally.

aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aFootballLife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Squats
    Squats
    Squats

And then of course the other important compound movements.
    - Bench
    - Chins
    - Deadlift
    - Glute Ham Raises (tough at first, but are absolutely great)
    ...And so on.

Leg extensions will so nothing for performance and will probably just slow your recovery... Don't bother

In fact stay away from pretty much every machine, except hamstring curls...

You aren't a pro, don't train like a pro. You do see a lot of strength coaches at pro clubs having the athletes do light weight, high reps... DONT DO THIS. They do that in fear of injury and losing their job. At the expense of their athletes not getting better. They just maintain(at best) and try to avoid injury. You are young. You need to focus on getting stronger. Lift heavy.

Originally Posted by BigBray View Post
    I've trained with Pro and semi pro clubs and can tell you that relatively light compound lifts with a higher rep range(to avoid injury)and High intensity cardio is what the pro teams spend most of there time doing during pre season.
    Don't guy by what others do. A lot of pros are good in spite of their training - if they improved they're training they'd be other worldly. Sadly however, many S&C coaches aren't always up to par and don't always provide the best coaching, training and program
    Rick Nadell MS, CSCS
    www.performrev.com

[QUOTE= You aren't a pro, don't train like a pro. You do see a lot of strength coaches at pro clubs having the athletes do light weight, high reps... DONT DO THIS. They do that in fear of injury and losing their job. At the expense of their athletes not getting better. They just maintain(at best) and try to avoid injury. You are young. You need to focus on getting stronger. Lift heavy.[/QUOTE]

totally agree
    Rick Nadell MS, CSCS
    www.performrev.com

SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    keep sure to be strong in relation to you own body. you dont have to add unnecesary bulk or train like an bodybuilder. train you body for strength with low reps (powerlifting type) and combine that with some explosive exercises. power cleans are realy good but hard to learn. go try (weighted) jump variations and medicine ball throws with low reps high intensity.

what helped me alot with soccer is decreasing my bodyfat. i dont know what it is right now but if you decrease it you will be stronger in relation to your body and become faster.
    hope this helps

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Starting Strength is underrated?

If anything it's overrated :P

Soccercoaching has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man those GHR's look like they would help a lot but i am also imagining the immense cramps that would come when i am doing them. good stuff, i'll try it.

This is what you need.

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with everything above.

Although I would also consider throwing in some briefcase walks alongside some other general conditioning, too.
    Yo momma's research methodology is so flawed...

SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SDK10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    soccer is a skill sport, the best thing to become better in soccer it to get better at the skills you need. play pick up games will help you. everyting beside that have to support you to become an better soccer player. dont go do bicep curls or things like that. ask yourself by every exercise that you do ''how can this help me to become an better soccer player''.

maybe someting you can look up to is WS4SB III and then the 2 lowerbody training (1 max effort, 1 dynamic)
    this helped me alot with my lowerbody strength and speed. you dont have to go crazy on upper body and become the new arnold, this will only hinder you in your agility and speed