davidow4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arnold press versus shoulder press

Hi all, it's shoulder and back day for me tomorrow. I just wanted to ask has anyone seen any difference in doing straight dumbell shoulder press opposed to Arnold press.
    I have tried both, I usually do standing shoulder press followed by using a heavy kettle ball for upright rows followed by kneeling bent over row using dumbells.
    Anyway back to the question, who has seen better gains from doing Arnold press?
    All the best.

Originally Posted by davidow4 View Post
    Hi all, it's shoulder and back day for me tomorrow. I just wanted to ask has anyone seen any difference in doing straight dumbell shoulder press opposed to Arnold press.
    I have tried both, I usually do standing shoulder press followed by using a heavy kettle ball for upright rows followed by kneeling bent over row using dumbells.
    All the best.
    OK I thought it was a stupid question!

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by davidow4 View Post
    Arnold.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) dunemonkey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go back and forth. Arnold takes a lot of the chest out of it, so I suspect that's why some might like it better? I have kind of gravitated more toward whatever version of lifts allow me to push more weight, and in this case, it's going to be normal presses. As long as you're doing them correctly and intensely, it's probably dealer's choice.

Originally Posted by dunemonkey View Post
    I go back and forth. Arnold takes a lot of the chest out of it, so I suspect that's why some might like it better? I have kind of gravitated more toward whatever version of lifts allow me to push more weight, and in this case, it's going to be normal presses. As long as you're doing them correctly and intensely, it's probably dealer's choice.
    "Arnold takes a lot of the chest out of it"; that's what I was thinking, the Arnold may hit the entire shoulder more rather than reaching the pecs as well.

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lately I have done a 'modified Arnold press' that Joe Defranco teaches. The way he does it is almost the opposite rotation of a regular Arnold press. Seems to hit the rear delts pretty good along with the sides. Can't go nearly as heavy with Arnold type of presses because of the rotation obviously. I'd think they hit the rotator cuffs to an extent as well.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    IMO, "Arnold" Presses waste a good bit of energy in twisting and spinning dumbbells around, energy that could be much-better applied to simply lifting heavier dumbbells straight up and back down.

Again IMO, the best shoulder exercise for bodybuilders is Seated Dumbbell Presses, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps.

As an aside, Arnold was known back in the day for spreading "advices" that he knew would lead his competitors astray.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    As an aside, Arnold was known back in the day for spreading "advices" that he knew would lead his competitors astray.
    Lol, this is true, I remember an interview with him where he was talking about another guy showing him some of his poses prior to competition and Arnold told the guy his poses looked great when he knew in reality they were horrible!!
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    IMO, "Arnold" Presses waste a good bit of energy in twisting and spinning dumbbells around, energy that could be much-better applied to simply lifting heavier dumbbells straight up and back down.

Again IMO, the best shoulder exercise for bodybuilders is Seated Dumbbell Presses, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps.

I agree with 99% of this because I would say the barbell instead of dumbell. That's just me though.
    However, I would not ditch the arnold presses altogether and maybe do them once in a while.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Lol, this is true, I remember an interview with him where he was talking about another guy showing him some of his poses prior to competition and Arnold told the guy his poses looked great when he knew in reality they were horrible!!
    "You have to scream when you pose. It's the latest thing."

Originally Posted by scullin View Post
    Lately I have done a 'modified Arnold press' that Joe Defranco teaches. The way he does it is almost the opposite rotation of a regular Arnold press. Seems to hit the rear delts pretty good along with the sides. Can't go nearly as heavy with Arnold type of presses because of the rotation obviously. I'd think they hit the rotator cuffs to an extent as well.
    That sounds interesting, I will give this a go as well.

jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jett69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    do both, not at the same day. keep your body guessing. I like to switch my routine every 4 weeks.

pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pharmamarketer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Arnold presses are a waste of time IMO. No reason to twist weight like that. As IW said consider the source.
    I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pharmamarketer View Post
    Arnold presses are a waste of time IMO. No reason to twist weight like that. As IW said consider the source.
    This is my opinion as well. I also don't like turning my shoulders while pushing something above my head. Having had shoulder problems for awhile Im probably overly protective now.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just recently start doing standing OHP, opposed to seated OHP. I'm liking it, it has a much different feel and takes some some additional core strength and balance. Though I'm humbled in the drop in weight I can push up compared to doing seated barbel OHP.

I would give preference to barbel press movements, followed by traditional dumbbell presses before playing with Arnold presses. Just my opinion.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Kingthumper
    http://www.alanaragon.com
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
    http://www.biolayne.com

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Agreed.

"back in the day" a lot of people did Arnold presses for shoulders and also a lot of people did a similar movement on DB presses for chest; rotating the DBs so they were parallel to each other. I got in the habit of doing both exercises this way.

Can't remember who told me, but someone said exactly what Bill just said "you're better off using heavier weight and pressing straight".

Been doing conventional DB presses for shoulders and chest ever since.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10) MilSpec4Life is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally think if you are going to be doing lateral raises than skip the Arnold and do military press.