Moorey123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Swapping to incline exercises for upper chest work

My chest workout consists of 4 sets x 8 reps of the following:

Flat Barbell Bench
    Incline Dumbell Press (45 degrees)
    Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes

I have made gains in strength and size but my upper chest is lagging. I've been thinking about keeping the same routine only changing theflat bench exercises for incline to bring out my upper chest.

Should I keep to this or do the same workout but add additional exercises so that I'm still doing some flat bench exercises?

Cheers,

Chris
    When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Moorey123 View Post

Flat Barbell Bench
    Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes

I have made gains in strength and size but my upper chest is lagging. I've been thinking about keeping the same routine only changing theflat bench exercises for incline to bring out my upper chest.

Should I keep to this or do the same workout but add additional exercises so that I'm still doing some flat bench exercises?

Cheers,

Chris
    Not sure what your reasoning is here. You are already doing incline. And are you saying that you are gaining on chest and upper chest is lagging or that just your upper chest is lagging? It's still part of the chest and the difference between flat bench and incline isn't that big. Especially if you are doing overhead press, rows, and other compounds.

Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100)
    Incline Dumbell Press (55-65 degrees)

Originally Posted by musikguy72 View Post
    Not sure what your reasoning is here. You are already doing incline. And are you saying that you are gaining on chest and upper chest is lagging or that just your upper chest is lagging? It's still part of the chest and the difference between flat bench and incline isn't that big. Especially if you are doing overhead press, rows, and other compounds.
    Only one current exercise is inclined what I'm getting at is should I switch to all 3 being inclined so that my upper chest can grow as well as my lower (of which my lower is alot thicker)
    When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful

Originally Posted by Keeperr View Post
    Incline Dumbell Press (55-65 degrees)
    I have thought about this but wont this place more focus on the delts and therefore provide less upper chest involvement?

cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Flat Barbell Bench
    Flat Bench Dumbell Flyes

Cheers,

Chris
    Main reason why people cannot develop the chest is because they are not engaging the muscle when they are training it...

http://tryexercise.com/engaging-the-muscle/
    www.tryexercise.com

Originally Posted by cm45 View Post
    Main reason why people cannot develop the chest is because they are not engaging the muscle when they are training it...

http://tryexercise.com/engaging-the-muscle/
    Just read the engaging the chest bit, tried it whilst sat at my computer with one hand on my chest and the difference is huge compared to when I tried again but with my normal technique.

Thanks alot for this mate! I suppose now my lifts will go down in weight if I apply this proper form?

cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cm45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just read the engaging the chest bit, tried it whilst sat at my computer with one hand on my chest and the difference is huge compared to when I tried again but with my normal technique.

Thanks alot for this mate! I suppose now my lifts will go down in weight if I apply this proper form?
    Yes, it is likely you have to lower the weight you will be using since the form is more strict, but it will allow you to actually work the muscle you are targeting. Overtime you will be lifting a lot weight again just be patient.
    www.tryexercise.com

Originally Posted by cm45 View Post
    Yes, it is likely you have to lower the weight you will be using since the form is more strict, but it will allow you to actually work the muscle you are targeting. Overtime you will be lifting a lot weight again just be patient.
    Ye I don't mind lowering the weight as I remember a quote someone once said (can't remember who) "Big weights don't look good, big muscles look good". I have recently applied the same by engaging the lats more... the weight has gone down but the size has increased which is what we all want.

Thanks again cm45

Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100) Keeperr is not very well liked. (-100)
    I have thought about this but wont this place more focus on the delts and therefore provide less upper chest involvement?
    not on me. makes a test, and make incline DB first exercise