Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rotator Cuff Surgery Recovery

I just had arthroscopic RC surgery yesterday morning and have a few questions for people that have had this surgery or similar ones:

How long was full recovery for you?

How long until I can squat? Deadlift?

When will my RoM come back?

When can I return to upper body lifts?

Thanks in advance!

HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tridith View Post
    I just had arthroscopic RC surgery yesterday morning and have a few questions for people that have had this surgery or similar ones:

Thanks in advance!
    I had my labrum repaired and the recovery is very similar to that of a rc tear. It honestly took a full year before I would really say I'm 99% (I have very minor pain when I put my arm in very awkward positions, really no biggy). However about 14 weeks out I was performing most of my lifts pain free.

I think I was squatting like 10 weeks afterwards but definitely had some pain doing that just having your arm in that position would recommend you avoid them until they're pain free. Kind of have a funny story the first day doing squats lol (could have been a not funny story). So my first day doing them I was in school during study hall, and I guess this kid (freshmen) thought I needed a spot... So he comes up and just grabs one side of the barbell and all the weight comes down and I swear the way it came down on my shoulder I'm so lucky I didn't **** up the repair lol. I wanna say the 6 week mark it's "healed" (can't remembet off the top of my head) but just the way the weight came down I could have easily been back in the OR. Deadlifts I didn't do until that 14 week mark I mentioned.

Most ROM should be back after 6-8 weeks which is when you integrate active ROM exercises. It may not all be there by then however.

Upper body lifts again was the 14 week mark for me.

Again this was my experience, I believe I was pretty ahead of schedule. Listen to whatever your surgeon tells you. As soon as you're allowed begin passive ROM stuff and make sure especially early on you take the rehab seriously. Keep that thing healthy, shoulder injuries are the worst.. I've had way too many lol. I wasn't 100% complient with the rehab and tried doing very light lifting a few weeks early and learned my lesson lol was very sore.

Can I ask how you tore your RC? You seem very young to have to have a RC repair.
    Last edited by HammZ; 04-10-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tridith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lol yeah us freshmen are pretty oblivious

I dislocated my shoulder in a wrestling match which tore my labrum and screwed with my RC. The big tear was in my labrum, but they also found that my RC had a small tear and the backside of the socket was worn out. I think I might've had labrum surgery like you lol, I'm on so many narcotics at the moment that everything my doctor said is a blur.

HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lol yeah us freshmen are pretty oblivious

I dislocated my shoulder in a wrestling match which tore my labrum and screwed with my RC. The big tear was in my labrum, but they also found that my RC had a small tear and the backside of the socket was worn out. I think I might've had labrum surgery like you lol, I'm on so many narcotics at the moment that everything my doctor said is a blur.
    All good lol labrum tears are fairly common from dislocations that's how I tore mine. You most likely had a bankart lesion repaired but idk. Yeah that kid doesn't lift people just signed up for that study hall cuz they liked the teacher I guess. I was so pissed when he did that I wanted to scream at him but he was just like this innocent little kid who thought he was trying to help that I didn't have the heart, I told him that's not how you spot somebody lol.

Originally Posted by HammZ View Post
    All good lol labrum tears are fairly common from dislocations that's how I tore mine. You most likely had a bankart lesion repaired but idk. Yeah that kid doesn't lift people just signed up for that study hall cuz they liked the teacher I guess. I was so pissed when he did that I wanted to scream at him but he was just like this innocent little kid who thought he was trying to help that I didn't have the heart, I told him that's not how you spot somebody lol.
    lol you couldve just thrown that kid on your back and squatted him instead

lol you couldve just thrown that kid on your back and squatted him instead
    that would be too light

Registered User 2Rude4MyOwnGood's Avatar
    2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks in advance!
    Everybody heals differently. We also don't have the details of what your doc did while he was in there. The fact that you're young is going to help you out a lot. Here are some basic numbers for your question.

FULL recovery - 1 year
    Squat - 4-6 months (careful when loading those plates or have somebody do it for you)
    Deadlift - 1 year
    FULL ROM - 1 -1.5 years
    Upper body lifts - depends on the lift, but probably around 4-6 months, nothing heavy for awhile though

Originally Posted by 2Rude4MyOwnGood View Post
    Everybody heals differently. We also don't have the details of what your doc did while he was in there. The fact that you're young is going to help you out a lot. Here are some basic numbers for your question.

FULL recovery - 1 year
    Squat - 4-6 months (careful when loading those plates or have somebody do it for you)
    Deadlift - 1 year
    FULL ROM - 1 -1.5 years
    Upper body lifts - depends on the lift, but probably around 4-6 months, nothing heavy for awhile though
    All your numbers seem accurate except full ROM, 1 year+??? Damn dude that seems way longer than it was for me...

I probably should have empthasised more that I wasn't 100% at 6-8 Weeks (obviously) but most of it was back. The final few degrees come back very very slowly and I still have some areas that are tight but I can put my arm in that position at least.

Edit: did more research and 1 year seems about right.. I had full ROM easily within 6 months some spots still are and were tight but I could reach there. I guess I was lucky.
    Last edited by HammZ; 04-11-2014 at 01:56 PM.