Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)

New lifters read this thread before asking about weight gain

Ok guys, I'm making this thread because of the very high number of threads I see about weight gain. I will try to be short and sweet. Let's take this one step at a time....

Training

New lifters should focus on higher frequency with lower volume. A couple of routines I feel are best include:

Babylovers Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ditional+sucks
    Rippetoes Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243
    Reg Parks Beginner Routine
    http://oldschooltrainer.com/reg-parks-beginner-routine/
    All Pro's Beginner Routine
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4195843&page=1

There are many more, but I'm trying to keep this simple. I advise you to get on a pre made program, because designing your own can be very challenging. One of the most important rules is that you don't sacrifice form for more weight. To find the starting weight in which you use in these programs is easy. Start out with just the bar. Perform the prescribed number of reps for one set. If you keep perfect form and bar speed does not slow down, add 5lbs (10lbs for deadlifts). Continue this until either bar speed slows or your form starts to hamper, whichever comes first. Whether your goals are hypertrophy or strength, these are very good programs which will get you on the right path in your weight lifting career. If you haven't noticed, these routines are all based around strength. A strength program is best for new lifters because it will focus on technique under a heavy load. More frequency and more sets with lower reps will build technique faster than a cookie cutter bodybuilding program. This will build a solid foundation for the trainees lifting career. Plus most people who start lifting are weak and could greatly benefit from a strength routine.

Diet

To gain weight, you must be taking in more calories than you burn. I would recommend you using a calculator and get a rough estimate of your maintenance level. Add 500cals to this number. If you still aren't gaining between 0.5-1.0lbs per week, keep adjusting calories until you hit this mark. You also need to have a set macro intake. I would recommend you follow the diet IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros). This means that you can eat the food of your choosing, as long as it fits your macros for the day. You do have certain micronutrients that you need to hit, so don't think I'm telling you that you can just pig out on whatever you want during the day. Protein consumption should be between 1-2g of protein per pound of bodyweight (ie: a 150lb person should eat between 150-300g of protein). You don't have to hit the 2g mark. As long as you're consuming at least 1g per lb, you will be fine. Meal timing and frequency is essentially irrelevant in terms of body composition. This means that eating carbs earlier in the day, protein later, eating every 2-3hrs, etc isn't necessary. I would advise you to read these listed threads.

To find your calorie/macro needs
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    Eplanation of IIFYM, micros, macros and calories, and other goodies
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851
    For anyone wanting someone to critique their diet
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129523333
    The last thread of other nutritious goodies
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129523333

If you say "I just can't gain weight", I will always reply by saying that you aren't eating enough. A lot of times people respond with "I was eating a surplus". Let's get this straight... No, you weren't. If you were taking in more calories than you burn, you would've gained weight. It's that simple.

Supplements

Ok, there are several things to straighten out... Supplements alone are not going to cut it. They are called "supplements" for a reason. You don't need them, but they can certainly help. I would recommend a multivitamin and some fish oil for anyone. Protein powder isn't needed, but it's not a bad idea to use it. Whey has a very good amino acid profile which makes it good to supplement with. Don't think that I'm telling you that you need to use it. You can do just fine without it. Protein powder really starts to shine when you find it difficult to consume all the needed protein per day. Creatine is another useful supplement. IT IS NOT A STEROID. It's natural and you find it in certain foods, particularly meats. To start off, I would go with 3-5g. Loading is not necessary, but you may do so if you please. There are no known advantages or disadvantages of cycling. Like loading, you may do so if you please. Next up- weight gainers. These are only needed if you can't hit the needed calories/macros for the day. It's best to just eat more, but sometimes there is no other option. If you need to use a gainer, I strongly recommend you making your own. That way, you can customize it to your needs and you can control what goes into it. Stick to things like whole milk, whey, peanut butter, bananas, fruit, oats, etc.

Supplement Safety Guide
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=141357761
    Creatine
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112484941

I think that pretty much covers it about the most frequently asked questions. If anyone has anything they would like to share or ask, please do so.

I am currently not active in this thread, so if anyone has questions, please post them in the official stupid question thread. The link is below. There are several members who are very active in the OSQ thread and are always willing to help.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149842473
    Last edited by natypes; 11-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice thread, should get stickied.

trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000) trexmoad123 is just really nice. (+1000)

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the responses dudes
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    repped on spread.

But isn't most of this already covered in the stickies?

l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50) l2evolution will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tl;DR

Eat like a whore, and when you think you have, eat more.
    ~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~

**Forever Legend**

Competitions
    ( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º) ( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º)

TMisc Bulking competition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152133453

( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º) ( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º)( º ͜ʖ ͡º)

asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) asian66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mod repped
    S- 315x5
    B- 205x5
    D- 405
    OHP-125x5

Originally Posted by PatFel View Post
    repped on spread.

But isn't most of this already covered in the stickies?
    Yes, most of it is. The only reason I made this thread is because a lot of the other stickies explain things in a very complicated way that can be difficult to understand. I also wanted to tackle all of the main questions in one single thread. The reason I used a lot of links is because I didn't want to steal others info, when they had to spend a lot of time typing it all up. I would rather direct them to the original thread instead of hijacking their info.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    Yes, most of it is. The only reason I made this thread is because a lot of the other stickies explain things in a very complicated way that can be difficult to understand. I also wanted to tackle all of the main questions in one single thread. The reason I used a lot of links is because I didn't want to steal others info, when they had to spend a lot of time typing it all up. I would rather direct them to the original thread instead of hijacking their info.
    fantastic work.

deserve the rep

Originally Posted by PatFel View Post
    fantastic work.

deserve the rep
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000) Shkimabobs is just really nice. (+1000)
    I recommend just bolding the category's titles. It just makes it easier to read and look more appealing.

Originally Posted by Shkimabobs View Post
    I recommend just bolding the category's titles. It just makes it easier to read and look more appealing.
    Edited. Thanks for the input
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Bump for more views
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Bodybuilding Success Coolcicada's Avatar
    Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Coolcicada has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bump for more views
    Great thread.

Possibly the second link here needs to be corrected?

(Cause they're the same.) -- Or are they meant to be the same cause the second link repeats too.
    Misc Cologne Crew

builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000) builder95 is just really nice. (+1000)
    sticky.
    If You're Not Gaining, You're Losing.

I'm a sculptor, my body is my masterpiece, the world is my witness.

stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50) stperkins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I'm already repping you back for life, so I've got reps covered lol.
    inb4sticky
    R.I.P. Bill Perkins March 20, 1940 - May 8, 2012. Forever loved.

"It's the internet, toughen the f*ck up! Go mix up some cement, eat it, harden the f*ck up." -Babylover

MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MGSorun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel that you need to explain more on why you recommend strength programs to noobs. From a beginners point of view they would think that doing higher reps = more muscle mass, so why do a low frequency program? You know there's lots of these kids out there that just don't understand the usefulness of hitting the compound lifts at a lower frequency and higher volume while perfecting there form for future programs. Other then that it's a well typed thread.

GJ

Originally Posted by Coolcicada View Post
    Great thread.

Possibly the second link here needs to be corrected?

(Cause they're the same.) -- Or are they meant to be the same cause the second link repeats too.
    Thanks, I didn't see that. Going to edit now.

Originally Posted by stperkins View Post
    Well I'm already repping you back for life, so I've got reps covered lol.
    inb4sticky
    Haha thanks
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Premium Gold Member strengthgained's Avatar
    strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) strengthgained has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In on sticky
    edit: whats it like getting mod repped
    Last edited by strengthgained; 06-15-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    I admit all my threads suck :(

Supplements Suck

brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brotatorcuff is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dis here sticky. Good thread bro.

Thanks guys. I will rep back asap. Currently on R/C.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok guys, I'm making this thread because of the very high number of threads I see about weight gain. I will try to be short and sweet. Let's take this one step at a time....

Training

New lifters should focus on higher frequency with lower volume. A couple of routines I feel are best include:

Babylovers Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ditional+sucks
    Rippetoes Starting Strength
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243
    Reg Parks Beginner Routine
    http://oldschooltrainer.com/reg-parks-beginner-routine/
    All Pro's Beginner Routine
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4195843&page=1

There are many more, but I'm trying to keep this simple. I advise you to get on a pre made program, because designing your own can be very challenging. One of the most important rules is that you don't sacrifice form for more weight. To find the starting weight in which you use in these programs is easy. Start out with just the bar. Perform the prescribed number of reps for one set. If you keep perfect form and bar speed does not slow down, add 5lbs (10lbs for deadlifts). Continue this until either bar speed slows or your form starts to hamper, whichever comes first. Whether your goals are hypertrophy or strength, these are very good programs which will get you on the right path in your weight lifting career. If you haven't noticed, these routines are all based around strength. A strength program is best for new lifters because it will focus on technique under a heavy load. More frequency and more sets with lower reps will build technique faster than a cookie cutter bodybuilding program. This will build a solid foundation for the trainees lifting career. Plus most people who start lifting are weak and could greatly benefit from a strength routine.
    So basically, you re-hash the pop-culture, low-risk-low-reward dogma. Nice.

Originally Posted by MGSorun View Post
    I feel that you need to explain more on why you recommend strength programs to noobs. From a beginners point of view they would think that doing higher reps = more muscle mass, so why do a low frequency program? You know there's lots of these kids out there that just don't understand the usefulness of hitting the compound lifts at a lower frequency and higher volume while perfecting there form for future programs. Other then that it's a well typed thread.

GJ
    You're absolutely right. I edited. Thanks

Originally Posted by strengthgained View Post
    In on sticky
    edit: whats it like getting mod repped
    I will list it in my resume

Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500)
    what are people going to post about if they can get all the info here??

More Erickanevsky threads?

avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Now all we need to do is teach beginners to read.

Would rep but I'm on spread.

Originally Posted by avodo View Post
    Now all we need to do is teach beginners to read.

Would rep but I'm on spread.
    No worries, thanks
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liamhammers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good read

Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000) Vanduynomite is just really nice. (+1000)
    In.
    RAW lifts
    Bench (Pause) - 250 (Torn Pec)
    Squat - 451.7
    Deadlift - 589.5 (APF National record) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVBtkEfVdw

RAW Total - 1291

SDSU

RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiloBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In on first page, rep'd for a good informative post, nice one.

BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Reps for having time and patience to write this thread, was gonna do something similar but cbf awhile ago, haha. All the stuff is already covered but a thread like this is needed because of how lazy beginners are; they need ALL their information in one place. It's too hard to browse and learn for themselves.
    Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168292533&p=1378041213#post1378041213
    ---
    ☢☢☢☢ Tall Guy Crew ☢☢☢☢
    ☆☆☆MISC INK CREW☆☆☆