RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Pain in inner leg (both legs) above ankle after running (Posterior Shin Splints)

Quick history, went from doing heavy lifting to jobless, now I have joined the National Guard and have been learning how to run all over again (Age: 26) after sitting behind a desk for 5+ years. This started about 3-4 months ago (march/april timeframe) I am working on getting to a 13:00 - 2 mile as required for 100% in the PT testing for the army (I ship to basic Aug 23rd and OCS come Jan).

I originally had major shin splint/pain for a long time when I first started running about ~3-4 months ago getting ready for this. I was able to fix this by using a stretch band and holding my feet toward me, basically working that muscle for 5 minutes a night. After 1-2 weeks it literally completely fixed this issue and I have had ZERO frontal shin pain (whereas it used to feel like the muscle was tearing from the bone kinda pain).

I have been doing fine up to this point (lower 15s, upper 14 minute 2 miles). I finally was pushing myself harder to where I am close to breaking the 13:XX barrier for the 2 mile, however a new pain has arisen and causes major issues the following day.

Yesterday I ran a 14:10 - 2 mile time, did all my pushups, situps, tricep dips like i normally do and I felt ok. I woke up this morning with minor inner leg pain. Nothing serious, but was there... basically the muscle in the picture attached (inside on both legs).

leg-muscles-pt.jpg

I can't really tell if its the blue highlighted or green highlighted muscle, but its the muscle that seems to wrap around your shin bone on the inside of both legs. When it came time to run today, it became a pretty significant pain (not debilitating, i could still walk, but definitely can't run worth a crap). I know this is last minute since I ship Tuesday, but it hadn't become a problem until I started pushing how hard I was running.

I am very flat footed, I drink lots of milk/take supplements (GNC sports multi and fishoil), nothing serious since I will have nothing but the milk come basic. If there is a stretch or any kind of routine I could do to workout this muscle to make it stronger, please let me know. I won't get time to let it rest in between running/PT at basic so I am just trying to find something I could do like my shin stretches to help remedy the problem. Thank you for your help.

After a little more looking they're called "posterior shin splints"?
    Last edited by RSM87; 08-18-2011 at 06:22 AM.

RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RSM87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Anyone? After a lot of research I see they are just posterior shin splints, but I am not finding a solution like there is for anterior? shin splints (the muscle on the top of the leg). That is simply fixed by this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafXc...eature=related and literally fixed it in 1.5 weeks.

So anyone have a good exercise/cure for posterior shin splints? Something that can preferably be done by bodyweight or with a stretch band since I won't have a gym at basic. Thanks guys