jjc155 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

power lifting routine for my old ass, LOL

Now that I am 38 and wanting to get back into the gym I am thinking about setting up a workout based almost entirely on compound olympic moves (deadlift, clean and jerk etc).

Up to about 5 years ago working out was almost a religion to me. I had plenty of time etc. I still am very active just not in the gym like I used to. Still eat pretty clean and I'm in better than average health for my age (according to my Dr)

Now my kids are older, work is busier than ever (I'm a police detective) so my time in the gym will be no where what it was 5 years ago.

We have a well equiped gym at work with thousands of pounds of olymipic plates, several olympic bars, good squat rack and several machines (not to interested in them at this point) treadmill, bike, and plenty of floor space.

I'm thinking that with my time budget of about an hour a day 4 days aweek (barring call ins in the middle of the night, court that runs late etc) that a routine sticking to some heavy olymipic lifts would be the best way to get back on track.

Anyone do this kind of routine (for the reasons that I am looking at)?

I would like some suggestions on what lifts, what kind of a rotation (work out wise, you know 1 on 1 off, 4 on, 3 off etc).

I'll be starting off slow weight wise to get back in the flow, but for comparison 5 years ago when I was working out alot my deadlift was 400, squat was 525 for 3 rep "max's".

I'm currently 6'0 215 (which I have been for the entire last 5 years).

Anyone have any suggestions etc?

Thanks in advance,

J-

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you familiar with the Westside Barbell Method? If not, that is a good place to start looking for a routine.

HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HDHC10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    re: I'll be starting off slow weight wise to get back in the flow, but for comparison 5 years ago when I was working out alot my deadlift was 400, squat was 525 for 3 rep "max's".

You have muscle memory on your side. Get diet right and you'll be surprised how fast it comes back.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions etc?
    What, specifically, is your goal?

The two Olympic lifts, the three contested Powerlifts, and bodybuilding training are all quite different, and the training involved for each is, by necessity, quite different as well.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For feed back on the Olympic lifts go to the Olympic forum http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131 your best bet for feed back on these lifts is to post vids.

If you have never done them before don't worry about a routine yet just get the technique down first.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

copy thanks guys. I guess I should have been more specific on what my goals are. At this point I really just want to get back into the gym on a regular basis. based on my time constraints I was thinking that a power lifting routine would be better than a "bodybuilding" routine ( i was spending 1.5 hours a day in the gym 5 days aweeks when I was looking to "bodybuild"). Just looking to gain strength and maybe alittle size. Not looking to compete or anything like that.

I have always incorporated the olympic and power lifting type lifts in to my weight rountines when I was hitting hit hard so I have some knowledge of the lifts etc.

basically just looking to get the best bang for the time I have and figured if powerlifting/olympic lifts would be the best route.

Thanks
    J-

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I love olympic lifts too. They are terrific for so many things. However, perhaps you should just follow a basic weight training program (Ironwill linked a great one on another thread) for a month or so to get warmed up and back into it for now and once you feel comfortable start with olympic lifts again.

Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jayarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I also just started powerlifting again after a long (15+ year) layoff. I'm really looking to train for tennis, so I am not training for low rep maxes nor am I looking to add significant bulk, but I am looking to get significantly stronger and am doing 5x3 sets with max weight on the compound exercises. The most important muscle groups to work for tennis are the shoulders, back, core, glutes, and legs.

I have set up two workouts per week. I don't know if my body would handle more than that. I prefer powerlifting exercises over Olympic lifting. Each workout starts with squats and bench press for compound lower and upper body exercises in every workout. After that, one day per week I concentrate on back/legs with dead lift, rows, leg extensions/curls, and lats. On the other day, I concentrate on chest/shoulders with military press, upright rows, shrugs, and dumbell flys. Except for deadlifts, the auxiliary exercises in each workout are 8x3 instead of 5x3.

I've been doing this for about 6 weeks, and it seems to be working for me so far. My lifts have increased substantially, and I definitely feel stronger. I plan to keep up this powerlifting cycle through January. Starting in February, I need to start training for the season again, so I plan to change my diet from bulking to cutting to get to my playing weight and I plan to consolidate the weight training to one day per week and change the other workout to cardio and agility (i.e. HIIT and plyos) in preparation for the Sprign/Summer season.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    West side is a good PL'ing program.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pe...le__part_2.htm
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    For feed back on the Olympic lifts go to the Olympic forum http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131 your best bet for feed back on these lifts is to post vids.

If you have never done them before don't worry about a routine yet just get the technique down first.
    ^This.

I lift three four times per week. The training focuses on powerlifting, but I do some Oly-type (clean and push press, power snatch) on Sundays as supplemental lifts to the powerlifting. Best bet, OP, is to pick ONE discipline and maybe pick up a thing here or there from other disciplines that AUGMENT what you're doing in your main training focus.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djanvk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Check out these workouts
    Either Rippetoe's Starting Strength
    or
    Wendlers 5/3/1

both are powerlifting/compound lift based workouts. I did SS to start this year when I got back into the gym on a consistant basis and I loved it, really renewed my enjoyment of the gym then just switched over to Wendlers 5/3/1 and really liking this also.

Look here for some infor

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113707701

Originally Posted by Djanvk View Post
    Check out these workouts
    Either Rippetoe's Starting Strength
    or
    Wendlers 5/3/1

both are powerlifting/compound lift based workouts. I did SS to start this year when I got back into the gym on a consistant basis and I loved it, really renewed my enjoyment of the gym then just switched over to Wendlers 5/3/1 and really liking this also.

Look here for some infor

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113707701
    copy thanks

J-

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where in Michigan are you?