BenKrant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mind Blank: Glute Exercises with a twist(HELP)

Ok heres the deal normally I'm quite versitile and can over come issues like this but for the life of me I'm having a mind blank...

So I'm training a Healthy Female of 27 years of Age, shes in perfect fine health besides 2 issues, ARTHRITIS IN LOWER BACK/ AND IN HER RIGHT KNEE. Now to achieve what she wants we need to work the Glutes(Butt)/Thighs, Now I'm really having a mind blank, How should I work her Glutes evenly without utilising her Lower Back or Right Knee too much.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Kettlebell swings
    Supine hip extensions

And if it's rheumatoid and not osteoarthritis,
    Prone back extensions
    Deadlift & variations, especially one-legged
    Romanian deadlifts

or any one of a zillion machines

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Kettlebell swings
    Supine hip extensions

And if it's rheumatoid and not osteoarthritis,
    Prone back extensions
    Deadlift & variations, especially one-legged
    Romanian deadlifts

or any one of a zillion machines
    I don't see how deadlifts, RDLs and kettlebell swings get around the issue at all. If and when she can be rehabbed to the point of being able to do those exercises safely, great, but honestly I would expect them to be the first to go until further notice. In saying that, I agree with you on supine hip extensions/bridges/hip thrusts/whatever anyone wants to call them, and I'm assuming that by prone back extensions you mean hyperextensions, in which case I agree that it's a definite maybe. If she can't safely do hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions (lying prone on a bench and lifting her legs up to parallel, pulling a weight with her feet) would probably be a good alternative.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com