Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)

Vince Gironda's theories

what do you all think of Vince Gironda's theories. i found a book called "unleashing the wild physique" and although i don't completely agree with his training methods,his theories on nutrition are very interesting.Richie

patrolling the universe snakeman's Avatar
    snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snakeman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    richie;
    can you give a link as to where we could read it. thanks.

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)
    i don't know if their is a link to it as i found the book when i was sorting out some stuff the other day. but he swears by liver tabs,high fat diets (meat & eggs mostly) among other things. those on a keto diet might find his theories quite interesting.Richie

bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000) bb5-0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think his theories are still not outdated. Liver tablets are still widely used with much result, and eating whole eggs is advised when on keto diet. He trained lots of famous BB at a time when supps were not as widespread as now. So there was probably a lot of interesting ideas in his nutrition theories.
    Age is but a number ! a healthy diet and regular exercice can make you feel and look much younger than you really are !

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I came across mention of Vince Gironda's name yesterday and I satarted doing some research about his theories. They are definitely interesting, and they make sense to me. It isn't really that far fetched if you read enough about his reasoning, and you cant' argue with his results.

He was big against the standard Bench and Squat for bodybuilding. Now, for power lifting, he agreed on their use.

One of his comments was that power lifters or weight lifters are stronger than body builders on the exercises that they use, but that bodybuilders are stronger on the Gironda style of lifts that his guys trained on and that a power lifter would not be able to keep up with a bodybuilder on them even if they dropped they weight considerably.

I think his version of the bench press (the neck press) would be rough on my shoulder, but he claimed that sicne you are working with less weight than a power lifter, that you would have next to no injuries compared to all the injuries you always hear about with lifters that go heavy.

He claimed that his 8 sets of 8 was a great all around resluts getting set up. I think he said he liked to work up to a 15 second rest between sets where his pupils were to hyperventilate then jump right back into it.

He was training body builders back in the 50's before steriods were introduced, and once they hit, he was against their use. So I can see why he would have been forgotten about when everyone started jumping on the band wagon and the sport started heading in that direction.

But the cool thing is that his theories are all geared towards natural body builders, so I can see where some of his stuff doesn't seem as mainstreem since all the magazines seem to cater to the enhanced builders. If you are not taking enhancements, your training is naturally going to have to be different from that. (no pun intended.).

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    wow, strong 7 year old thread revival
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    wow, strong 7 year old thread revival
    Yeah, I didn't realize the date until after I posted. I had been using the search function again. sorry.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    This is for the posters here who may not know who this guy was. Vince was pretty cutting-edge, both in his training and nutrition ideas. He owned the gym where Arnold first trained when he came to the US. When Vince competed, he was ripped before the term even existed:

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Todd_A View Post
    Yeah, I didn't realize the date until after I posted. I had been using the search function again. sorry.
    No sweat, it's a shame no one has brought up that name in such a long time.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think Gironda was cutting edge and way before his time. I think a lot of other people capitalized on his methods more than he did. I don't believe he was on the money about everything but he had some excellent methods.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some of Gironda's ideas were good i.e. the use of bromelain (sic?) for aiding digestion, liver pills, eggs (!) and so on, but his training ideas are guaranteed to cause controversy, and he has as many followers as detractors.

A lot of people bitched because they never got a whole lot of strength out of his programmes and that's mainly because they were NOT intended to cause strength; just size. "Cosmetic bodybuilding"--his forte. If you want strength, train more along powerlifting lines.

Some of the techniques he advocated--to me--are downright dangerous. Neck press: Light(er) weight or not, still a strain on the RC's. Dips with palms facing out--major stress on the wrists. Hacks? Too much shear on the knees. Rows to the upper part of the abs---what did he want, high lats? I could never understand that. Ab training and training for shape and proportion I will agree wholeheartedly on.

The one thing I'll say is that while he stood for drug-free bodybuilding, a lot of the guys he trained were drugging up WHILE THEY WERE AT HIS GYM. And he must have known that. So maybe he wasn't in it for the money--I doubt it--but he was in it for the fame and I consider him hypocritical for knowing that his "boys" did drugs yet he (Gironda) was always preaching against them.

I expect some people will see me as trashing his reputation. Not so; just giving my opinions on it all. Great trainer? Yes, in many ways; great and honest person...sorry, not above anyone else, IMHO...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Neck presses FTW.

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Love the Gironda drag curls. I use those regularly.

I think part of what made Vince a successful trainer, is that he was an ass****. You did things correctly (his way), or you got cursed out and yelled at or thrown out of his gym. He was all about discipline and would go berserk if he felt you were not putting 100 percent effort into your training. One glance around most gyms today should prove that bodybuilding needs butt- kickers like Vince, but sadly, in this day and age of Political Correctness and Sensitivity Training, the old school methods won't be accepted by many.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    s,08 ǝɥʇ uı ʞɔɐq ʞooq ʇɐɥʇ pɐǝɹ ı ʞuıɥʇ ı uɐɯ
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

The Rated U Superstar Ford_Power's Avatar
    Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ford_Power will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Love the Gironda drag curls. I use those regularly.

I think part of what made Vince a successful trainer, is that he was an ass****. You did things correctly (his way), or you got cursed out and yelled at or thrown out of his gym. He was all about discipline and would go berserk if he felt you were not putting 100 percent effort into your training. One glance around most gyms today should prove that bodybuilding needs butt- kickers like Vince, but sadly, in this day and age of Political Correctness and Sensitivity Training, the old school methods won't be accepted by many.
    That is one thing that I have heard about him in all that I've read - he was very difficult to work with in that regard but he got results out of those he trained. It was all about the discipline and all out effort and if you didn't cut it, then he cut you loose.

I don't agree with everything that he taught, but there's one thing for sure and that is he was years ahead of his time.
    "That's how winning is done. Now if you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth! But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers sayin' you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that, and that ain't you! You're better than that!" - from the movie "Rocky Balboa"

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and your body won't be either. It takes patience, hard work, and dedication." - ME.

samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not versed in his views on nutrition. However, I have tried working in some of his ideas on individual exercises. while I saw some benefit, I also saw injury risk on quite a few.

That being said... I was doing them alone, without the benefit of someone well versed showing me the finer points. His methods are probably better served after doing the proper research and planning.
    MILITARY RETIRED

NYY, NYG, NYR hometown fan - no matter where I move.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ah, Vince, .....Vince....quite a character.....I have all of his old original booklets from the 70s...

definitely over opinionated, however, he was introspective and really trying to think things out....

unfortunately, he was a predecessor of the Mike Mentzer " my way or the highway" type of stubborness, and I feel that in all things in life, you have to maintain some sort of open mind.

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    ah, Vince, .....Vince....quite a character.....I have all of his old original booklets from the 70s...

definitely over opinionated, however, he was introspective and really trying to think things out....

unfortunately, he was a predecessor of the Mike Mentzer " my way or the highway" type of stubborness, and I feel that in all things in life, you have to maintain some sort of open mind.

this is what sells in the irongame, I want to buy that book even though I have no interest in neck presses, 8x8, sissy squats ect. I have much interest in 1-set to failure like Arthur Jones though. The irongame is full of charatcers, buisnessmen, show-men, huksters, and guliable fans, along with some misfits.

Vince and Arthur had that "my way or highway attitude" only Arthur used a real no nonsense approch to training, Vince used theatrics (afterall he was a dancer in the movies).

A great Vince story I heard from an old friend of Arthurs was that A.J. was given a pic of Vince that read "Caseys a** sucks buttermilk" signed Vince with the famous "V".....

now ANYONE could of signed that.......

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this is what sells in the irongame, I want to buy that book even though I have no interest in neck presses, 8x8, sissy squats ect. I have much interest in 1-set to failure like Arthur Jones though. The irongame is full of charatcers, buisnessmen, show-men, huksters, and guliable fans, along with some misfits.
    as with MANY things in life......excellent post!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    An odd coincidence; in yesterday's local morning paper, there was a small article about a "new" health discovery--that drinking cherry juice is good for joint health. I immediately remembered I had read the same information nearly 20 years ago, in one of Vince Gironda's nutrition pamhlets.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

yeah, Bill, it seems the anti-oxidants in Cherries are the bomb! LOL....and the farmers know that, because the price of cherries is through the roof...HAHAHAHAH......

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Good Read

Surprised no one has posted this yet:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/guru.htm

I liked it so much I borrowed this (in my current sig):

"I recalled our first meeting ...he excused himself, got up, took some money out of the register, gave it to a member, and promptly threw him out of the gym for doing situps and leg raises." - Ron Kosloff about Vince Gironda
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    what do you all think of Vince Gironda's theories. i found a book called "unleashing the wild physique" and although i don't completely agree with his training methods,his theories on nutrition are very interesting.Richie
    Vince was WAY ahead of his time, almost scarily so...

When taken in context, his advice was pretty much spot on. Even his "anti-squats/bench press" stance...again, in context.

Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ekie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have been studying Vince's literature and he mentions "protein powder". Anyone have a clue what that would have been back in the 1960's?

Slow and Steady Centennial80015's Avatar
    Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Centennial80015 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This website is dedicated to Vince.

http://www.ironguru.com/

You can purchase his books and booklets here too.
    Lift, sip, log, rest, repeat....

Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Have been studying Vince's literature and he mentions "protein powder". Anyone have a clue what that would have been back in the 1960's?
    IIRC, it was Soy-based.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Vince was a smart cookie.

Some of his ideas were intriguing (to me) but were not something I put much thought into following or investigating further as they went against my common sense.

He believed in HCL supplementation which may have some benefits for digestive efficiencies...I would be a bit worried about intentionally modifying my acidic levels over time and the effects that this may cause.

He also proposed that the body digests same food types more efficiently than mixing them. Carbs should be eaten alone...consuming protein with them decreases micronutrient absorption. This may be true...I don't know...but I don't believe the body has any problem in ripping apart and obtaining nutrients from mixed food sources.

That's not to say some foods aren't synergistic...spinach and fats...chicken and brocolli etc...but this is a bit different than what he proposed. Again, not something I really care to investigate or ponder at any length.

He did have some awesome ideas and, like others have said, was ahead of his time.

Old thread.......but a goodie. Although many ideas/theories have come and gone since this thread but i still return to Vinces nutritional theories.

He recommended a high fat diet with a large carb meal every 96 hours. Sounds very similiar to a (slightly altered) CKD to me. When i was ketoing i ate his "power breakfast" most of the time.

Centennial80015, great link.

His book "Unleashing The Wild Physique" is well worth a read.

Richie
    Fueled By Fat.

hmmm, steak and eggs!!

scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scoot1243 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Some of Gironda's ideas were good i.e. the use of bromelain (sic?) for aiding digestion, liver pills, eggs (!) and so on, but his training ideas are guaranteed to cause controversy, and he has as many followers as detractors.

A lot of people bitched because they never got a whole lot of strength out of his programmes and that's mainly because they were NOT intended to cause strength; just size. "Cosmetic bodybuilding"--his forte. If you want strength, train more along powerlifting lines.

Some of the techniques he advocated--to me--are downright dangerous. Neck press: Light(er) weight or not, still a strain on the RC's. Dips with palms facing out--major stress on the wrists. Hacks? Too much shear on the knees. Rows to the upper part of the abs---what did he want, high lats? I could never understand that. Ab training and training for shape and proportion I will agree wholeheartedly on.

The one thing I'll say is that while he stood for drug-free bodybuilding, a lot of the guys he trained were drugging up WHILE THEY WERE AT HIS GYM. And he must have known that. So maybe he wasn't in it for the money--I doubt it--but he was in it for the fame and I consider him hypocritical for knowing that his "boys" did drugs yet he (Gironda) was always preaching against them.

I expect some people will see me as trashing his reputation. Not so; just giving my opinions on it all. Great trainer? Yes, in many ways; great and honest person...sorry, not above anyone else, IMHO...
    It seems like the only people who are against VG's methods are those who don't understand them.

KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    please describe this 'neck press'