stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanli is on a distinguished road. (+10)

so.. them full squats eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfA3W_pzIM

Went to a new gym yesterday and noticed that no one was doing anything close to "full squats". I'm on starting strength and wondering does Rippetoe say that you must go as low as the guy in the above video? I go pretty low compared to most people I see (especially the guys I saw yesterday) but I think I'd have to lower my weight if I get more benefits out of squatting that deep every rep - I come very close, but not quite.

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Embedded:

That is a great squat, but you only have to go down to parallel. With that said, it's much better to go lower than not end up hitting parallel. ATG squats rock.

Lower your weight and go at least to parallel.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was always taught to go parallel. Years ago it was believed that you need to go low like that but nowadays the golden standard is parallel. My teachers told me that it greatly increases your risk of injury especially in your knees when you bend all the way down like that. They even have a device you can get for probably no more than 15 dollars that you strap on your legs and every time your parallel it beeps to let you know to go back up. Ive used it in some of my weight training classes and found it pretty usefull
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ericzimmerman34 View Post
    I was always taught to go parallel. Years ago it was believed that you need to go low like that but nowadays the golden standard is parallel. My teachers told me that it greatly increases your risk of injury especially in your knees when you bend all the way down like that. They even have a device you can get for probably no more than 15 dollars that you strap on your legs and every time your parallel it beeps to let you know to go back up. Ive used it in some of my weight training classes and found it pretty usefull
    Going below parallel is not bad for your knees unless you relax at the end of the rep, causing your hamstring to slam against your calf. This ever so slightly dislocates your knee every time you do it, and can cause problems.

If you maintain tension throughout the range of motion, and don't let yourself relax at all at the end, full (ATG) squats are great.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JB12182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ATG squats are overrated IMHO. Parallel is fine. My flexibiltiy sucks, so that could be a reason I say that, lol.

rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LOL.

Anyways, I agree parallel is fine. In fact, that's what Rippetoe encourages.

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rock201 View Post
    LOL.

Anyways, I agree parallel is fine. In fact, that's what Rippetoe encourages.
    Absolutely not. Rippetoe emphatically encourages going BELOW parallel.
    The more you know, the more you squat.
    Raw 1RM's: 455 Squat, 450 Deadlift, 225 Bench

WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Rippetoe says to go as low as you can

WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillGraham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by klir_2m View Post
    Absolutely not. Rippetoe emphatically encourages going BELOW parallel.
    yea.

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well he encourages that you break parallel actually as apparently it increases posterior chain involvement (glutes, hamstrings).

Parallel squats aren't better for your knees than below parallel, according to the SS book. Rip calls that a 'half squat'.
    GOMAD!

rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I believe one counter example will suffice.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=13579

His squats are evidently not below parallel.

If you want Rippetoe's exact words on lower back rounding and going beyond parallel (closer to ATG squatting), I can find the thread later.

CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000) CaliforniaKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Any idea what it's called? Might get one!

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I believe one counter example will suffice.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=13579

His squats are evidently not below parallel.

If you want Rippetoe's exact words on lower back rounding and going beyond parallel (closer to ATG squatting), I can find the thread later.
    Um, no. I've read all of Rippetoe's books, have gone through every page of his Q&A, have subscribed to journal.crossfit.com just to read his articles and watch his videos, and have listened to a half dozen interviews from various sites. If you think Rippetoe recommends going parallel and not below, you are wrong.

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go as low as possible without your back rounding.

In that video, he went too low.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

Squat depth landmarks, per Starting Strength:

Um, no. I've read all of Rippetoe's books, have gone through every page of his Q&A, have subscribed to journal.crossfit.com just to read his articles and watch his videos, and have listened to a half dozen interviews from various sites. If you think Rippetoe recommends going parallel and not below, you are wrong.
    Yeah, I just realized my mistake. My point was supposed to be more so about emphasizing passing a certain point (which as you pointed out is below parallel) than hitting ATG.

Edit: Saw your pic. That's actually what I just read.

Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Slim DaDDy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Go as low as you can without compromising your own body mechanics. What I mean by that is if you go a certain depth and feel a negative discomfort that isn't "good pain" and you can't for the life of you fix your form to correct it then go a different depth. I think people with different body structures will find certain depths uncomfortable if they can't get the technique right. I have a really hard time not rounding my back on the last rep.
    Spike92 is 15.
    ^ place this in your sig to remind the world that Spike92 is indeed 15 and will never be anything other than 15.

When im not hungry I eat. When Im tired I train. When I feel like giving up I push harder.

tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tehkev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JB12182 View Post
    ATG squats are overrated IMHO. Parallel is fine. My flexibiltiy sucks, so that could be a reason I say that, lol.
    nah bro ;[ !!! get more flexible and do them ulll see

anonymous
    Um, no. I've read all of Rippetoe's books, have gone through every page of his Q&A, have subscribed to journal.crossfit.com just to read his articles and watch his videos, and have listened to a half dozen interviews from various sites.
    After that you must literally know everything there is to know about lifting, ever.

OP, parallel is fine. Lower back rounding and rebounding is not.

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    After that you must literally know everything there is to know about lifting, ever.

Good job quoting me completely out of context.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by WillGraham View Post
    Rippetoe says to go as low as you can
    To me that's only slightly below parallel through lack of flexibility so I don't have to worry about it.
    I f I can go lower with ease I'll go lower.
    I did when I was young and flexible and had no probs with it.
    Really it shouldn't be that important unless someone wants to squat real heavy which I avoid.
    I would worry more about doing leg extensions, I believe that to be worse for the knees, especially if you go heavy.

"Rebound out of the bottom, the concept of "bounce," is very important...The bounce at the bottom of the squat is merely the correct use of the stretch reflex...Essentially, you are bouncing off your hamstrings, not your knees. It is safe, it is correct, and it is necessary if heavy weights are to be lifted."

-Starting Strength 2nd Edition

BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by musicality213 View Post
    Embedded:

That is a great squat, but you only have to go down to parallel. With that said, it's much better to go lower than not end up hitting parallel. ATG squats rock.

Lower your weight and go at least to parallel.
    Watch his lower back round at the bottom of each rep. I just go to parallel or slightly below to avoid that, but Ive never been a very flexible person either.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lulz received.

anonymous
    "Rebound out of the bottom, the concept of "bounce," is very important...The bounce at the bottom of the squat is merely the correct use of the stretch reflex...Essentially, you are bouncing off your hamstrings, not your knees. It is safe, it is correct, and it is necessary if heavy weights are to be lifted."

-Starting Strength 2nd Edition
    I feel much more enlightened now a 160lb teen quoted The Greatest Lifter To Ever Lift at me.

Tonight, instead of taking my planned 545 to a 12" box for triples, I'll do a safe and correct dive bomb and bounce it out the hole instead. Since it's necessary if heavy weights are to be lifted and all that.

Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lux-Veritas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I feel much more enlightened now a 160lb teen quoted The Greatest Lifter To Ever Lift at me.

Tonight, instead of taking my planned 545 to a 12" box for triples, I'll do a safe and correct dive bomb and bounce it out the hole instead. Since it's necessary if heavy weights are to be lifted and all that.
    LOL, yeah. I dont think bouncing it would be safe while doing heavy weight.

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CaliforniaKing View Post
    Any idea what it's called? Might get one!
    I think its called a squat form beeper. Heres the link to one but its suprisingly 50 dollars. Im sure if you search around you can find one for a lot cheaper
    http://www.amazon.com/Upper-Limit-Sa.../dp/B000GAYDPW
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress