jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50)

need advice to prevent injury, please

It may sound stupid, but I'm kind of proud I got my first workout injury. Braindeads aside, I am worried and baffled because I did not noticed the injury until much later. How can you prevent an injury if your body does not signal 'injury'...or was I not paying attention?

I was doing hip adductions. They were tough and there were moments when I was really struggling to finish the adduction move, kind of like when you stop in the middle of a dumbbell curl, but somehow you manage to finish the curl. I have never injured myself while curling, so I wasn't worried when I experienced the same while doing the adductions. There was no sudden or sharp pain, which is the way I get the cues from my body to stop an exercise.

I could stop pushing myself as I have been doing, but I thought gains came when you pushed yourself really hard.

Has anyone gone through a similar experience? What have you learned from it?

anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jmborr View Post
    I could stop pushing myself as I have been doing, but I thought gains came when you pushed yourself really hard.

To avoid injury
    - make sure you are flexible. Unless you have right flexibility you will get back/shoulder issues. e.g Poor hamstring flexibilty makes you bend back.
    - work on core
    - dont exercise when in pain
    - to start off dont to movements we dont do in normal life ( eg upright rows, full situp). These should be done once have more exp with weights.
    - lower back and shoulder are two areas are often injured. Loook for articles online on how to prevent them.

At your age you should not be pushing hard unless you are experienced. What stops most of us from gaining is injuries. Be patient, gaining takes time but its worth it
    Last edited by anmol_khanna; 11-06-2009 at 05:08 AM.

jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmborr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I definitely suck at flexibility, so now I know one think to work. Thanks for the other tips, too.

anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I definitely suck at flexibility, so now I know one think to work. Thanks for the other tips, too.
    Some stretches i woudl do everyday are

Hip Flexor Stretch - very imp for overall postue
    Quad Stretch
    Adductor
    Ham Stretch
    Chest
    Back

If you can, do pilates once a week. Its great to keep you fit and ready to lift. Most pro athletes do it as part of their program.

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As the sig says "consider the source"

here's a few references on stretching
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...61&postcount=4

if you look at them, you'll see the only place they've been shown to reduce injury is for musculotendonous injuries - ie groin pull type things -sort of.

Likewise flexibility is often confused with mobility. THey're not the same.

Check out the critical differences here (link). I know a coach who can't touch his toes, but he can kick someone's head off.

The best training, really, neurologically and musculskeletally for injury prevention is mobility: working with each joint to ensure it moves well and under control through full range of motion. If you can't control your mobility you have fewer options in an injury situation.

Here's a whole lot more about how with mobility, and working up to loaded mobility in athletic positions/speeds, we train for the sprain, becoming pretty bullet proof and if and when injury does happen, bounce back a lot quicker/better (link). for real.

The posts also discuss how to practice (as opposed to train) mobility. the cool thing is your strength practice will improve immediately from this mobility practice.

best in your practice.

mc

wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Breathe, breathe...

If you're growling, you ain't breathin'!
    Don't growl, groan, cuss, etc., when you get to a sticking point.
    Take some deep breaths...don't squirm around; keep your bod in a static position.
    Struggle with completing the rep for a pre-determined count...the number of breaths you take, perhaps? Say, four?
    Better to bow out and preserve a sound body to lift another day...
    It may sound stupid, but I'm kind of proud I got my first workout injury. Braindeads aside, I am worried and baffled because I did not noticed the injury until much later. How can you prevent an injury if your body does not signal 'injury'...or was I not paying attention?

I was doing hip adductions. They were tough and there were moments when I was really struggling to finish the adduction move, kind of like when you stop in the middle of a dumbbell curl, but somehow you manage to finish the curl. I have never injured myself while curling, so I wasn't worried when I experienced the same while doing the adductions. There was no sudden or sharp pain, which is the way I get the cues from my body to stop an exercise.