Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10)

morbidly obese GF in desperate Need of a change. HELP PLEASE

Hello i am coming on here for my girlfriend who doesnt really use a computer but wants me to find out ways for her to lose weight. I figured this would be a great place to get some great info. Her and I are both looking to do a big lifestyle change. We are on a budget so the cheaper the food the better. Looking for food or snacks that can help her to lose weight maybe a good diet. She doesnt have sore joints or anything and with the right stuff she is willing to do almost anything. We are looking to start journals as well but dont know exactly what to do. I will post what i need to do for myself in the guys section but for her i thought this was the best place. Please a routine of food and exercise that would help would be greatly appreciated by her and I. We dont really have that much money and are broke college students. so anything thats cheap foodwise thats healthy would be greatly appreciated.

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

* Bust: 57 1/2
    * Chest: 51
    * Waist: 59 1/2
    * Hips: 68
    * Thighs: 58
    * Calves: 20 1/2
    * Upper arm: 19
    * Forearm: 14

Thanks

RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do a search?

If you're looking for a trainer/life coach, I think you've come to the wrong place. There is a TON of info on this site, but not the place to ask random people to design your big life change.

Besides what you need to do is simple: Change your diet and get more active.

There are a ton of routines listed on the SuperSite, you just need to look. And you can look in just about any journal (Or the Nutrition section) to see how some of the people here eat and get some recipe ideas. But it's gonna take trial and error to see what works best for you and your GF.

If she is willing to do almost anything, sit her in front of the computer and tell her to read. Read the articles, threads, and journals until she finds something that she is willing to commit to.

I wish you both the best! I hope you find something that works for both of you.
    DAYUM!!!

"Be stronger than your vagina"

PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) PBanonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FunkTechNician View Post
    Hello i am coming on here for my girlfriend who doesnt really use a computer but wants me to find out ways for her to lose weight. I figured this would be a great place to get some great info. Her and I are both looking to do a big lifestyle change. We are on a budget so the cheaper the food the better. Looking for food or snacks that can help her to lose weight maybe a good diet. She doesnt have sore joints or anything and with the right stuff she is willing to do almost anything. We are looking to start journals as well but dont know exactly what to do. I will post what i need to do for myself in the guys section but for her i thought this was the best place. Please a routine of food and exercise that would help would be greatly appreciated by her and I. We dont really have that much money and are broke college students. so anything thats cheap foodwise thats healthy would be greatly appreciated.

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

Thanks
    You will find a ton of information on this site that is very helpful.

I also love to go to a book store and pop a squat in the fitness/exercise aisle and READ READ READ. There are books for beginners like you and your girlfriend that present the information in a very clear and consice manner (without having to sift through internet stuff... which can be daunting).

Try and keep it simple. Dont get overwhelmed. Use a site like this to estimate your caloric needs for that day.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Contrary to popular belief eating healthy DOESN"T have to be expensive. BUY what is on SALE!
    Here are some great great selections tha won't break the bank:

Skim milk
    Eggs
    broccoli
    onions
    whole wheat bread
    cottage cheese (this is really cheap at stores like Costco and walmart)
    apples
    chicken breasts
    TUNA TUNA TUNA TUNA TUNA!!!!!!!!!!
    oranges
    zucchini
    tomatoes

really any produce can be found for dirt cheap if youre willing to look for it.

Stop eating processed foods

Start making healthy choices and get your bodies MOVIN! start walking EVERYDAY! and start lifting weights (consult this site and other books for beginner plans)

good luck! Its so excited to see beginners about to change their lives!~
    Joy is the best makeup.

Men, Please do not PM me looking to talk. I am happily engaged and am not looking for anything of the sort on here or anywhere.

FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10) FunkTechNician is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for the list of stuff

Not looking for a life coach just whatever helpful info people that have a lot more knowledge then i can give for some tips or whatever.

what are some good books?

i would search if i knew what i should be searching for and ill sit her infront of the computer when i know what im looking for.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I really think she needs to see her GP and get a full physical before she embarks on any new program. It is likely she has high blood pressure and possibly diabetes as well.

As far as reading - starting with the stickies, including the one titled "Men read this before you post" - there is a lot of good info
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

Thanks
    Money is the last thing you need .. in fact you might even save some in the end.
    the first thing she should do is see a doctor 357.9lbs is some serious weight for a 22yo 5'6 girl
    heck even for a guy .
    Losing the initial 20-50lb should be easy, a little portion control no junk food, sugar, sodas etc.. and running
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1. No sodas in the house.

2. =_Insist_= on walking moderate pace every day. Start with 20 min/day if she can't do 30. Otherwise start at 30 min.

3. Start with moderate lifting in a couple of months after she is used to the walking routine. Take her to a community-type gym during a relatively quiet hour to start with.

4. Work on the rest of the dietary situation slowly over time, just make sure that 1) is absolutely being followed.
    investigating mechanics of pulleys, levers, and mass.

starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by partsRheavy View Post
    1. No sodas in the house.

2. =_Insist_= on walking moderate pace every day. Start with 20 min/day if she can't do 30. Otherwise start at 30 min.

3. Start with moderate lifting in a couple of months after she is used to the walking routine. Take her to a community-type gym during a relatively quiet hour to start with.

4. Work on the rest of the dietary situation slowly over time, just make sure that 1) is absolutely being followed.
    Yes, definitely this ^^

This is how I lost more than half my body weight, by starting small and making progressively better choices along the way.

FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Baby steps.

I love the above posters suggestion of walking everyday MANDATORY for 20-30 minutes. She [and probably you] have got to get more active. Take the stairs, park far away, get up and go walk. If 20-30 min gets to be easy, push it for longer. Walking may seem like a joke, but it's the first step to getting in shape.

As far as diet, I am in agreement again with the above posters. Lose the soda. No eating out/junk food. If you have to eat out eat a salad with light, healthy dressing. Smaller portions. Try to cook as much as possible at home, and again eat smaller portions. Learn to count calories and try and keep in a 200 or more caloric deficit.

Definitely think about seeing a doctor before and getting a full checkup.

Lastly, keep posting/reading/learning here and everywhere else. This was the first step. Now take the next one and keep walking...
    MAGA --- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tamorlane: No one really cares except for people like you. Wow he wore a blackface, guess what back in the day many people did that. It was a different time period. Not full of PC little betas like you that cry foul over every little thing.

SillieBazzillie: Under Obama we always strove to be the best at everything. Trump really has ruined everything.

FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000) FunAndSun is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TheBillDozer04 View Post
    run into traffic you slob, if your 5-6 and weigh 357 pounds your undeserving of life in my opinion

you want advice? stop stuffing ur face 24/7 go outside and walk, then maybe run. its not hard to lose weight
    Please gtfo. Negativity is not needed, nor is it appreciated.
    MAGA --- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tamorlane: No one really cares except for people like you. Wow he wore a blackface, guess what back in the day many people did that. It was a different time period. Not full of PC little betas like you that cry foul over every little thing.

SillieBazzillie: Under Obama we always strove to be the best at everything. Trump really has ruined everything.

Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I offer this

I know it may not be appreciated but take it for what it is and remember...YOU put yourself exactly where you are. You have no one else to blame.

That said, only YOU can do something about it! There isn't anyone here that can do ANYTHING for you...NO ONE.

Now you indicate you want change...if you want change...CHANGE. Don't try to convince yourself you want something you don't want...if you want it, do it! If you don't want it, don't lie to yourself, because really you cannot lie to yourself...you know the truth.

But, if on the other hand you do want it, pay the price! Nothing good ever came easy...when you reach milestones, don't reward yourself with 'food' treats...that is like wearing cement boots to a swimming party. Instead buy new workout gear, new gloves, new water bottle new shorts, new heart rate monitor etc...don't go get ice cream, or go to mickey d's, or BK. Or even go have a pop. Cut the crap from your diet, encourage each other and celebrate your victories and achievements. Get rid of junk food from your vocabulary and from your fridge. Do NOT BUY $hit food. It all comes down to this what is better for you Broccoli or a Twinkie...if you can answer that then you can win the weight loss battle. Provided you can walk away from the twinkie, 100% of the time...and NEVER look back at it.

Being Obese, you have an opportunity to join an elite group....those that LOSE way more than most ever could...Do you have what it takes to join that club? If so take the pictures and measurements upfront...if not, why waste the time?

Think about what I have offered...go slow do not injure yourself. And do not be hungry. There are diets and foods with water that you will never feel hungry on your diet...eat frequent small meals and cut fats and carbs down drastically...do your walks in the beginning, working up to cycling, then ellipticals, and treadmills. do circuit trainning in the beginning and feed muscles...keep diet and workout record books...they really help.

Good Luck, be honest with yourself and hopefully in a year we will see before and after pics that will astonish us...from both of you

GL

Notice my LOW rep power...that is from telling people what they don't want to hear...and I assume you to will feel the same way. But, if you are honest with yourself and it hits home I careless about any rating...
    Last edited by Dietdude; 09-21-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Never, ever, ever give up...with each setback you never know just how close to success you are...

thanks for all the replys

i find some of them a bit funny like the insulting ones. Nobody here is making excuses saying cant do this or cant do that just asking for some useful stuff. I already cut the soda out for her and i. Im 6ft 190 already started doing a lot of this stuff as far as food goes getting into joging. I have a gym membership as well which i started using again. I started getting into her lazy habits and didnt want to do anything. I had enough though and started getting back on track. I tell her a lot of this already but i think cause its me she thinks im making it up or being an *******. She dont eat ho hos, twinkies and all that much fast food. Like someone would think someone her size would eat.She was born at 14lbs and a huge ghetto ass that must be holding 100lbs each just kidding kind of bout the 100lbs. anyways her problem is soda and hot cheetos and whens she eats real food its 1 meal once a day. Either way we stoped the soda completely a few days ago and drink nothing but water, also watching calories and sodium and started a eat 6 times per day diet this morning. Also Heart conditions run in her family. her mom just got released from the hospital less than a month ago needing a heart transplant and the dr told my gf you are way to damn fat lose some damn weight and so im trying to help her and myself and think if she has someone to do it with it might help.

The work out journal sounds like a great idea thanks

i put together a journal of what ever we eat that day. is it better to make a weekly journal of what you plan to eat all week or just put what u eat that day. I shouldnt say better i mean what seems to work best for most people?

She doesnt have health insurance so would need to find a free clinic to get checked for heart conditions and diabetes. I just really want to know whats safe to have her do for her size? I mean as far as exercise.

I myself dont mind what people say is negative cause im doing whatever i can to get into shape myself now. Sometimes she says i want to real bad but then when it comes time to go walk or jog or go to the gym i have to drag her kickin and screaming. Makes excuses at times and i dont want to get into a fight about it and just go alone. I feel its better if the good the bad and the ugly are from other people then only me. anyways thanks for all the info i will tell her all the stuff. if anyone knows where i can read up on a work out plan for a morbidly obese person please let me know.

I have been scrolling through the pages and looking at various stuff.

Again thanks for any advice

someone said something about food that fills u up but isnt that bad for you. but i cant find the post anymore. What food would that be? Sometimes myself i think im under eating or im constantly hungry so food that fills me up for atleast 2 hours so i dont feel like im starving all day would be great.

6' 195lbs 32" W 17.5" Gs HeismanWatch's Avatar
    HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

Thanks
    "broke college students"

You should have Nutritionists resources on campus that can address this issue! Read the SuperSite as stated above, but don't discount resources on campus!
    Pre-W/O Weight Days = IntrAbolic
    Post-W/O Weight Days = Purple Intrain
    PWO Weight Days = 100% Whey Optimum
    Protein Drink Between Meals = Myofusion
    BCAA's Throughout the Day = Xtend
    PRE Cardio Days = Purple Wraath
    PWO Cardio Days = Xtend
    Multi-Vitamin = Source Naturals Life Force
    Flex = Animal Flex
    Cissus = Supplement Direct

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First and foremost, make sure your gf is in this for the long-haul. She became obese over several years and she will need to devote a couple to a few to bringing her bodyfat levels back down. KEEPING it down will mean following a healthy lifestyle until she dies. Does this mean she can never have another hot cheeto? Of course not. But she will no longer be known for eating them.

Fill your home with whole foods. It's possible, but I don't know any obese people who appear to have gotten that way eating chicken and rice. Before you get discouraged thinking that sounds boring, realize you probably eat that way pretty often...you just eff it up by adding the wrong kinds of fats and carbs to those things. Get creative with your seasoning and eating whole foods is not at all boring.

Prepare all your own meals. This can be done in advance and leftovers can be stored in the freezer for weeks so everything is grab and go (single serving meals reheat in 3-4 minutes from frozen and that kind of frozen food is EXTREMELY portable. It'll thaw out a bit in your bag until lunch and microwave even more quickly when it comes time to eat it while walking to your next class).

DO NOT PURCHASE JUNK AT THE GROCERY STORE AND THROW AWAY WHAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR HOME NOW. It should never enter your home. Make it take extra effort (leave the house and cash in hand) to satisfy cravings for junk food so that she's often forced to choose something healthier to take it's place and has time to consider the negative effect of wasting money on crap and feeding her body crap if she has to actually take extra time to get it.

Water, water, water...and more water. Drink up!

I agree that you will likely actually save money by making your own food. When I get lazy, I can't ever figure out where my paycheck went. Until I realize my fridge is empty and that we (my daughter and I) kept spending $10-20 on "cheap" meals eating out. Nope...can't eat 6 meals a day that way. I don't think I have to spend more than $3 per meal I've made myself. The up-front costs of making your own meals DO make them seem more expensive. But here are some estimates of actual meal costs:

Breakfast: -1 cup pasturized egg whites: less than $1.
    -80g Vegetables (from frozen) to scramble in: 25-50 cents depending on what I buy
    -1/2 cup (dry) of oats...let's call it 30 cents
    -A tablespoon of almond butter to squish into the oats is about another 25 cents.

So...about $2 there? How much does it cost to get a latte at Starbucks? A latte AND a pastry?

Snack: -1 cup cottage cheese: $1.25 (thank goodness this stuff is getting cheaper lately)
    -80g frozen berries: 75 cents
    -1 oz walnuts: 30 cents

Quick, somebody...how much is a bag of chips and a soda out of a machine? Is this cottage cheese snack breaking the bank? If so, how about a packet of tuna and an apple with peanut butter? I think the vending machine just lost.

Lunch: -4 oz ground chicken breast: $1
    -walnut oil, cilantro, red onion and jalapeno that I sautee and mix with the chicken: we'll say 25 cents per serving (but I don't think I actually spend that much...I don't use a while onion and end up feeding a lot of cilantro to our guinea pig ).
    -4 oz (cooked) rice: no more than 25 cents depending on type (red, brown or black in my household)
    -60g wholly guacamole: 50 cents
    -4 oz tomatos: I like getting the little expensive ones so they're almost $1
    -1 oz spinach: 25 cents

Ooooh...this meal may cost me $3.25. If that's too close to a "value meal's" cost of $5-7 dollars, I could always nix the "expensive" tomatos and spinach and do some frozen veggies instead.

The prices I used are purchasing a lot of NAME BRAND items. You can certainly get by cheaper than I do, even if you need to eat more to support your size (I still eat get by on less money when bulking if I prepare my own meals over grabbing stuff when I'm hungry). As you can see, meals CAN be created in a very economical way. Most people don't eat that cheaply off a dollar menu at a fast food joint. And what does that kinda food do for ya? Makes you look and feel like **** when you're totally living off it that ADDS to it being overpriced!

Ways to make things even more economical:

*Purchase food in bulk.
    *Be willing to do more prep work (Debone your own chicken. Separate your own egg whites. Wash and cut up your own vegetables when buying fresh)
    *Buy frozen (veggies, fruits and meat)
    *Buy generic where acceptable to your palate (I don't dig the texture of most store brand oats, but there's no difference in things like frozen fruits and veggies, canned tuna, brown rice or olive oil).
    *Supplement where it makes sense (fish oil is cheaper than salmon as a serving of omega 3's for example).

...Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck to you both!
    Last edited by Amanda76; 09-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Teach your gf how to use the computer so she can start doing her homework. If she's having you do everything, than she's not as serious as you say she is. I'm not sure what you mean by cheap food? I'm sure the types of food she's been eating over the years is lot more expensive than what she would be spending on a clean diet.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Learn to cook.

One thing I learned about obese younger people is that they didn't really know how to cook. You don't have to be a gourmet chef - but at least know how to throw broccoli in a steamer and perhaps toss it with a bit of olive oil. Learn to pair things such as beans or chicken with veggies or grains that compliment it. Check out the recipes thread.

And about the budget. Yes, a chicken breast may cost more than a bag of chips. However, saving money doesn't mean anything when 357lbs cost you your life. She is MORBIDly obese - meaning she could die from her weight. Get a part time job, take a couple less classes per semester, anything, to afford to do this right. This isn't a case of just wanting a healthier lifestyle, it is actually to the point where she could die from complications of morbid obesity.

rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was obese once...the trick is to keep things simple. Eat less (but better quality foods), start moving. Take a 30 minute walk daily without fail at a comfortable pace (could be romantic ), that's simple enough. Eat less of what you normally eat. Add fruits and veges, green veges in almost every meal and atleast 3 servings of fruit a day. Cut out fried foods, donuts, cakes, soft drinks, you get the picture. If you normally eat lots of fast food and take out, stop, you'll save money here and lose weight. Eating healthy is actually cheaper than eating junk (take out, fast food, snacks, etc), because healthy foods are prepared at home.

I think for people who are obese or morbidly obese, it's best to keep things as simple as possible. It's all about making lifestyle changes, no need to get too ambitious and start eating too little or going for complicated exercises routines. Once you get your weight down and you start to get used to your new lifestyle, then you can start incorporating different types of exercises and weight-training. Just don't do too much too soon. I've been there, so I know what it's like.
    Last edited by rainy_daze; 09-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.

mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Most of the above comments are really good and solid advice for you two. Specifically, hand over the reigns of HER diet and exercise to HER. she has to want to do it. If she doesn't, no matter how hard you push, pull, plead, beg, borrow, steal, etc. She WON'T do it. If she doesn't like the computer, then go to the library (cheap) and let her go to the "healthy" books.

I know exactly how you feel about how you got into your situation. Ultimately, I am at the weight I am at, by my own two hands. However, my boyfriend at the time (large part of why he is now an ex) never wanted to do anything active. Going to the gym was like pulling teeth for him. He would always make excuses and I bought into it and I sacrificed my time at the gym (my choice) so I could be with him.

Honestly, heed everyone's advice from drinking water, to no sodas, to cooking your own. It all works (I know). But, to me the two important factors in your case are a: she has to want to do it on her on and B: you have to do it for yourself. If anything lead by example. Everyone has a different trigger to get them off the couch. If her mom's heart disease isn't it then maybe it will be that she gets less time with you, because you are at the gym, out running, or at the library reading books about nutrition.

Just my two cents. Good Luck.

Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dietdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Heart disease, diabietes or

Whatever she can come up with...losing weight and eating healthy, and exercise certainly won't hurt her...
    Never, ever, ever give up...with each setback you never know just how close to success you are...

Registered User petitpowerhouse's Avatar
    petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

Thanks
    I may get an army of people disagreeing with me on this one, but when you are truly overweight a great place to start is weight watchers. You eat regular food they merely teach you appropriate portion control through the points system. I lost 60lbs doing this as a teenager. Hope that helps, good luck to her.
    "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe," - Albert Einstein

wow thanks for all the great advice. i will introduce her to this site i have found a lot of useful information.

Making a meal is a lot cheaper then going out thats for sure especially with these prices. wow i will have her read all this tomorrow when she is back she went to her parents house today.

we have Omega 3, B-12, and Calcium Pills now. Just need a good multivitimin. Im not sure what is a good one for woman but i can just search on here.

Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bluelinersgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I think you mentioned that she only eats one meal a day? She needs to be eating small healthy portions of food 5 or 6 times a day. Check into the "Eat clean diet" and/or the "abs diet". And like others said, start small, like daily walks. Maybe get her into some at home workout DVD's or find some on-line?
    Member of the "Y DO WORK Crew!" (OK, I thought it was funny, cuz I work out at the YMCA.)

"Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess"

rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10) rainy_daze is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bluelinersgirl View Post
    I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I think you mentioned that she only eats one meal a day? She needs to be eating small healthy portions of food 5 or 6 times a day. Check into the "Eat clean diet" and/or the "abs diet". And like others said, start small, like daily walks. Maybe get her into some at home workout DVD's or find some on-line?
    I don't think its easy for an obese person to be eating small meals throughout the day, they might just end up over-eating portions because they wouldn't feel full eating little portions, plus it's a bit of hassle for someone who's just starting out to be remembering to eat every couple hours...ofcourse if your gf prefers to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day, definately go it! her metabolism must have slowed down alot since she eats a meal a day, so eating less amounts but frequently will definately fire up the metabolism...but if she can't then atleast start with eating 3 solid meals a day, with some light snacks like a fruit, or a small handful of nuts or a cup of low-fat frozen yogurt in between if she gets hungry...never skip breakfast definately.

Also want to mention that it if she has alot of trouble losing weight despite eating right and exercising, see a doctor, could be hypothyroidism (it's treatable!).

ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironblazed82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The problem...

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

Thanks
    The problem is that she must research it , not you!!! She has to realize that she is accountable and that she is responsible for putting on the weight and then it is only her that will be able to release it. I know this from experience. I have lost 80 lbs. It doesn't come off easy or fast...if it does she will gain it back plus some...it is a lifestyle change. You can view my profile and see books that I reccomend her reading. She must do everything herself or she will always use others as her excuse which is external not internal motivation. It must come from inside her only !!! Encouragement is nice but don't bager her either. She must want it bad enough to make appropriate changes. Take care.
    We are only weak if we choose to be weak...strength starts in the mind and empowers us to do great things...be strong.

Too bad we cannot choose where the fat comes off first...we can only choose what we eat and how we exercise. Only focus on what can be chosen!

YOU can either make negative excuses or you can get positive results...YOU can't do both!

My favorite quote: "Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with getting her to a doctor to clear her for any of this. If she is diabetic or on her way to it she may need a special diet anyway. Google State Coverage Insurance for your state and see if it is offered (if you are located in the US). It's normally free or close to it and provided by say a university hospital or sometimes major health care providers. I live in NM and got on it due to being a college student and not having a job. Once she is cleared I would recommend Tosca Renos Eat-Clean Diet book, it re-teaches portion control and is great nutritionally. I would also suggest an alternate website called SparkPeople, its great for motivation and also has information on there for "life style" change.

Good luck to you both!

-E

mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikenikegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also, I agree with using campus resources. My college had an on campus doctor you could visit. I'd look there for a doctor.

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)

Here is her stats

She is 22 5'6 357.9lbs
    Measurements

Thanks
    I am not trying to be mean, but I think the best place you could start is walking. by thoose stats at such a young age, there is no chance she is getting enough physical activity.

now if she feels she doesn't eat "that bad" but is gaining all that weight, then she should go to the doctor to find out if she has a thyroid problem. If she wont go, then tell her to never bring up that excuse again, and she does eat that bad.

Seriously, just start by finding out exactly how many calories you really are eating..by measuring stuff out, not just guesstimating...and try to get out and walk briskly at least 30min aday.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10) KlaarBody is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would suggest trying to branch out to a few more variations to the walking. If you are doing the same thing every day it ups the chances of getting a repetitive stress injury. I have a friend who was just starting out and just did the same excercise every day. Within a few months she ended up with an injury and had to stop her only excercise for over a month to heal up.
    Maybe 4 days a week walking, every other day, and fill in the other days with things like a yoga video, or a core work out video and just do what you can.