revxus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revxus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help with interval training on Life Fitness equip.

I go to the local gym, I need help in achieving interval training out of their LifeFitness brand of equipment, and to change it up a bit I want to switch weekly or bi-weekly on different equipment. So far, I've done it on the home treadmill with 60 mins. of interval 5 total miles of jogging 6 mins. (@ 4.0 speed) and running 2 mins. (@ 6.0 speed). How do I achieve interval training on the stationary bikes (my least favorite), elliptical with handles, crosstrainer, and stairmaster? I usually just use the RANDOM setting rather than a solid-state cardio setting like Fat Burn or Cardio.

Also, is it true that if you use the elliptical without the use of your hands and arms on its handlebars you get a better workout for your abdominal muscles, glutes and legs?

cast2688 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First, I think ur doing way too much cardio. 30 to 40 min MAX...especially on a treadmill, ur killing your knees bro. try intervals on an elliptical of 1 min hardcore, balls to the wall, at a resistance that is pretty challenging but ur still able to go at a sprint speed, then 1 min rest at a resistance that keeps your heart rate up above fat burning zone, if u cant do 1 minute go for 30 sec intense 45 sec rest then build up from there. i do this for my HIIT cardio, my intervals are 1 min. highest resistance is 16 (so far) and lowest is 11. avergae speed on intense is 9.9-10.0, rest speed is 9.5.

i think not using hands helps the core and better leg workout. since ur not using ur hands ur forcing your core to stabalize your body, if anything keep your index fingers on some part of the machine for safety, but mainly use your core. also try to incorporate core contractions during the rest intervals. burns more calories and builds a good core. and since ur not using your hands to push and pull the arm bars youre using just your legs to work the machine so yes i think it results in a good leg workout along with a good cardio session.

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by revxus View Post
    I go to the local gym, I need help in achieving interval training out of their LifeFitness brand of equipment, and to change it up a bit I want to switch weekly or bi-weekly on different equipment. So far, I've done it on the home treadmill with 60 mins. of interval 5 total miles of jogging 6 mins. (@ 4.0 speed) and running 2 mins. (@ 6.0 speed). How do I achieve interval training on the stationary bikes (my least favorite), elliptical with handles, crosstrainer, and stairmaster? I usually just use the RANDOM setting rather than a solid-state cardio setting like Fat Burn or Cardio.

Also, is it true that if you use the elliptical without the use of your hands and arms on its handlebars you get a better workout for your abdominal muscles, glutes and legs?
    You have much learning to do... what are your goals? Unless you're looking to start running marathons at some point the training you just outlined is incredibly dumb. For "fat loss" you'd be better off either doing a shorter HIIT workout, just jogging the whole time at 4 MPH, or simply not doing any cardio at all. This assumes you already lift heavy weights... do you?
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm