Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Bowflex selecttech dumbells are freaking dangerous

I bought them before I came here and now I know why they are hated. Was just doing incline bench presses with them maxed out (52.5 pounds) and as I brought them down every plate came off one side of one of them and landed on my ankle. It ripped off a big chunk of skin and I will be limping for days.

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Pakmule View Post
    I bought them before I came here and now I know why they are hated. Was just doing incline bench presses with them maxed out (52.5 pounds) and as I brought them down every plate came off one side of one of them and landed on my ankle. It ripped off a big chunk of skin and I will be limping for days.
    Damn man! Were they brand new?
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ice_man89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sorry to hear thats a bitch

Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post

if they were take them back, complain and buy some proper dumbbells.
    10% MYPROTEIN DISCOUNT CODE: 007PT56

Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear is an illusion of the mind!

**workout log**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153595921&p=1062447931#post1062447931

Barefooted HomeGym Lifter new2lifting's Avatar
    new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sorry to hear about you injury bro
    hope you get better

It is common knowledge in the bb.com "workout equipment" section that bowflex dumbells and bowflex products suck

The general consensus is that ironmasters or powerblocks are the way to go

I prefer ironmasters, that is why I own them
    I would put powerblocks in a class under ironmasters since powerblocks void the warranty if you drop them. But powerblocks are far superior to bowflex.

I have dropped a 100 lb ironmaster dumbell from 4' to the ground several times with no problems
    ironmasters are hand grenade proof. They will not come apart unless you want them to.

get well soon bro!
    Last edited by new2lifting; 05-25-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pakmule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Probably about two months old. I will put them on craigslist and get most of what I paid for them. Too bad I found this place after I bought them. Oh well, live and learn.

Originally Posted by new2lifting View Post
    sorry to hear about you injury bro
    hope you get better

It is common knowledge in the bb.com "workout equipment" section that bowflex dumbells and bowflex products suck

The general consensus is that ironmasters or powerblocks are the way to go

I prefer ironmasters, that is why I own them
    I would put powerblocks in a class under ironmasters since powerblocks void the warranty if you drop them. But powerblocks are far superior to bowflex.

I have dropped a 100 lb ironmaster dumbell from 4' to the ground several times with no problems
    ironmasters are hand grenade proof. They will not come apart unless you want them to.

get well soon bro!
    I will probably pick up a set of powerblocks.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Live and learn. Sorry to hear of your accident. Be thankful the plates didn't strike your face.

By all means get rid of them.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RonGoon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Probably about two months old. I will put them on craigslist and get most of what I paid for them. Too bad I found this place after I bought them. Oh well, live and learn.
    sooooo yer gonna sell em to someone else so they too can get effed up...possibly worse than you?

wth?

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This does not really answer the question "did you buy them new?". If you did, here is the warranty from the Blowflex website.

2 Year Warranty
    Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells are covered by a 2-year warranty on all parts. Stands feature an amazing 30-year warranty.

Get them fixed or replaced and then sell them and put the money towards Ironmasters or Powerblocks. I have the IM's and they are great.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

Originally Posted by RonGoon View Post
    sooooo yer gonna sell em to someone else so they too can get effed up...possibly worse than you?

wth?
    I am honest when I sell things. I will warn them that the plates sometimes slide off. I will try to the warranty route first though.

Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    This does not really answer the question "did you buy them new?". If you did, here is the warranty from the Blowflex website.

2 Year Warranty
    Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells are covered by a 2-year warranty on all parts. Stands feature an amazing 30-year warranty.

Get them fixed or replaced and then sell them and put the money towards Ironmasters or Powerblocks. I have the IM's and they are great.
    I bought them new from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool

and in the forum about equipment, some guys said all the best about those "multi adjustment" dumbells
    it's crap !!
    get a few sets of these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the real stuff, pro, built to last and they won't brake up on yr feet or face
    Attached Images

new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dave2044 View Post
    and in the forum about equipment, some guys said all the best about those "multi adjustment" dumbells
    it's crap !!
    get a few sets of these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the real stuff, pro, built to last and they won't brake up on yr feet or face
    ironmasters will not come apart

I have dropped them a few times accidently with no problems
    the screws were still tight and there was no damage to the dumbells

sure pro dumbells are better, but I am in a one bedroom apartment with some space limitiations and a set of pro dumbells from 10-120 pounds in 5 pound increments is $3000+ and up

10-120 pounds in 5 pound increments cost $800 shipped for ironmasters
    Last edited by new2lifting; 05-25-2009 at 11:59 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

sure pro dumbells are better, but I am in a one bedroom apartment with some space limitiations and a set of pro dumbells from 10-120 pounds in 5 pound increments is $3000+ and up

Ironmasters are the real deal; they've been around forever, and have been proven by the test of time. You won't find any cheap plastic pieces on Ironmasters.

As an aside, (and I've posted this before, but it bears repeating), I was in Dick's a few months ago, and picked up one of these Bowflex dumbbells. Several of the plates, and a few pieces of broken plastic, fell out onto the floor. A sales clerk saw this, and commented that "it happens all the time." Let the buyer beware.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dave2044 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation

you do no NEED that many dumbells!!!
    get a pair of 25lbs, a pair of 40s, 50s and 70s
    you can do a tons of sets exercises with these

how do you know what I need or what anyone else needs?
    Last edited by new2lifting; 05-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.

daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) daltrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have ironmasters and really like them. I also have pro style in some sizes just to save me time.
    ~Bulking till I hit 200 lbs~I Rep Back~
    People who want something bad enough will find a way and those who don't will find an excuse
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -"--"- o'Rly

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I have noticed that there are "Bowflex" selectTech dumbells and also the exact same thing branded as "Nautilus".

However... I saw the Nautilus ones at Costco and they seemed fine (durability TBD, of course). The Bowflex ones I saw at Dick's seemed like total crap. The plates were a lot less refined and were very sloppy overall. I checked the Nautilus ones again and they are definitely different- better quality.

That makes me wonder how many different manufacturers there are of these things.

Note: I'm not suggesting anyone buy Nautilus ones (for all I know the quality might be reversed in other stores), just saying I have noticed there are different versions of the same thing out there.

Buyer beware, indeed.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I have noticed that there are "Bowflex" selectTech dumbells and also the exact same thing branded as "Nautilus".

However... I saw the Nautilus ones at Costco and they seemed fine (durability TBD, of course). The Bowflex ones I saw at Dick's seemed like total crap. The plates were a lot less refined and were very sloppy overall. I checked the Nautilus ones again and they are definitely different- better quality.

That makes me wonder how many different manufacturers there are of these things.

Note: I'm not suggesting anyone buy Nautilus ones (for all I know the quality might be reversed in other stores), just saying I have noticed there are different versions of the same thing out there.

Buyer beware, indeed.
    It is the same company so maybe they make two different versions. My Nautilus weight bench with lat pulldown and olympic bar is top-notch quality wise.

You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that the more pairs of dumbbells you have, the more training options you have. I would be very limited with only the 4 pairs of dumbbells you list. Full set, FTW.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it's crap !!
    You obviously have never used Ironmaster dumbbells. I could throw them off my roof and they wouldn't break or come apart. And, if by some chance I did manage to break them, IM will replace them for free for life.

I don't think many people here will argue with you about having a set of prostyles. Unfortunately, not everyone has $3000 for a set and don't forget about the weight and space they take up. I could never fit those in my upstairs home gym.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) raylors has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Got a pair of powerblocks in feb. Love them, spendy but worth it!