Page 15 of 214 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Whoa! Usually, a shoulder impingement is not gotten from a once or twice done exercise. Chances are, that you already had an issue there. In fact, upright rows are a very common cause of discomfort for anyone with shoulder issues. Time to see a doc, as this will not go away. You're only 40, but I had arthroscopic surgery done on both of my shoulders in 07' because of similar, and more widespread issues.
    Yep -- it gradually got worse over the course of about a month's worth of workouts, combining upright rows and military press with elbows pointed forwards (not sure where I got that idea, but there it is).

And yeah, I already had some shoulder positions that caused pain (internal rotation, mostly), but only briefly and specific to certain, awkward movements. So it's entirely possible it's something I'll need to have looked at.. For now, I'll be satisfied if the issue settles down to where it was in a few weeks (no problems with dips, bench, DB bench, etc.). If not, well, we'll cross that bridge...

runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey, I was just lucky to have parents who succeeded in life . If it makes you feel any less envious; I'm on a path that will leave me far short of this kind of life style, and I'm "spiritually" coming to terms with that. I started off life as a lower middle class kid, and moved up to middle and then upper-middle class kid by virtue of my parent's deeds and investments. I am truly comfortable in all settings in life, because I have lived them (except for being what I'd call wealthy). From street tough kid....to the kid who knows which fork, spoon or knife to use during dinner with snobs, that's me . My folks? They mention all the time about being the least "well off" people in their subdivision, just because they were not doctors and lawyers, who seem to comprise the vast majority of their neighbors. They don't run their dishwasher. All dishes are washed and dried after each dinner, by hand. Until I gave my father **** about it, they had a timer that kept their hot water heater off until 3PM each day. They are truly WWII/Korean War children who were born in 32'/33', and do not believe in wasting a cent.

But you know what? Despite my own dismay at their "cheapness" at times, they have afforded for me and my family things I probably would not have been able to experience. They have lived what I call "The Golden Era", and I am jealous, when looking at our country's fiscal history. Right time, right place, not so much money needed to succeed if you have the foresight to invest in reality.

OK, sorry...rant over. I just want you all to know that I do NOT live this life daily! Tribute paid

Great to hear, Lori! And you know what? I'd kill to be able to run in 48* weather! Seriously, that's a prime running temp!

OK... OK... I meant I was jealous of the nice running trails... "success" in my book has absolutely NOTHING to do w/ money... Yeah, I'm a strange one, but I don't even play the lottery 'cuz I don't want to win. I am so much happier now in my life as I struggle to make ends meet than when I had more money. Money, to me, is not at all important beyond the basics of life, and people are WAY too obsessed w/ it IMO.

Happiness and success come from WHO you are with; not WHAT you have...

There... Now my "rant" is over... hehe Just my opionion...

And, yes Kev... I will be running tomorrow! Thanks for the encouragement. You're so right... I shouldn't complain about 48...

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by runner05 View Post
    OK... OK... I meant I was jealous of the nice running trails...
    I went back and deleted it . Sorry, I got carried away

And, yes Kev... I will be running tomorrow! Thanks for the encouragement. You're so right... I shouldn't complain about 48...
    Damn right!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I went back and deleted it . Sorry, I got carried away
    Aaahhh... didn't mean you should delete... I know I have a strange outlook on "success" that many don't share w/ me... It's OK. I don't mind being strange! hehe
    Damn right!
    There's the tough love I need!!! *hugs*

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Aaahhh... didn't mean you should delete... I know I have a strange outlook on "success" that many don't share w/ me... It's OK. I don't mind being strange!
    Nothing strange about you, my dear! I was just frothing at the mouth, and I hope I'll be forgiven
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Saturday 6/6/09 (D-Day's 65th Anniversary)

Got out and ran intervals for 5 miles this morning. Felt great! I knew it would be a great run when the first song on shuffle was Icarus-Borne on Wings of Steel by Kansas:

Yeah, I like and have some fairly obscure stuff on my MP3

And so it was..............off to the quiet country road:

Distance - 5 Miles
    Time - 46:11
    156/176 (182 Max)
    83% Humidity, but a cool 65*
    BCAAs, beta-alanine, Shock Therapy before, and BCAAs, beta-alanine, L-glutamine and CEE after the run.

Enjoy your Saturday.

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)

Running Trail Pictures

The wife and I went for a walk on Thursday so I snapped some pics as promised.
    You can see the area I have chosen to run regularily as I train for my next 3 half marathons.

I tried to give a feel for some of the inclines the trails have but pictures don't always do that well.

thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)

After we walked for 45 minutes on thursday, the wife went home and I ran for 48 minutes. I managed to make it up both of the hills that I died on the previous time and I also ran farther than the time before.

I will be heading out in a couple of hours to get in a 4 mile run as a warm up for a 10 mile run tomorrow.

LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^^ Looks like a great place to run.

I ran today.
    about 7.5 miles
    177/199 avg/max Hr.

On the beach (got it done before the rain came down.) I was hitting it hard the last mile or so (almost cought the guy that was running ahead of me.) Felt good after missing last Sun run.
    Then I lifted w my buddy. Wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Hoping it doesnt kill me tomorrow.

Originally Posted by thepainter5 View Post
    After we walked for 45 minutes on thursday, the wife went home and I ran for 48 minutes. I managed to make it up both of the hills that I died on the previous time and I also ran farther than the time before.
    Always good to face your enemy with resolve...and prevail! .

Very nice pics, Rod! And yes, I can appreciate those inclines from the pics. I felt the same way when I snapped a few locally. It never looks as formidable in pics as it does in person. Man, I'm surprised they have people do steps like that, as it seems like an accident waiting to happen in a race

I will be heading out in a couple of hours to get in a 4 mile run as a warm up for a 10 mile run tomorrow.
    Geez, 4 to warm up for 10, eh? Showboat!

And that's very ambitious with 3 more halfs scheduled!

Originally Posted by LiveFast23 View Post

I ran today.
    about 7.5 miles
    177/199 avg/max Hr.

On the beach (got it done before the rain came down.) I was hitting it hard the last mile or so (almost cought the guy that was running ahead of me.) Felt good after missing last Sun run.
    Then I lifted w my buddy. Wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Hoping it doesnt kill me tomorrow.
    Man, that's a great time, and then I see that you rant it on a beach? Even more impressive, as it would seem harder to me.

Oh, and it sounds like DOMS may await you tomorrow, despite your hopes otherwise .

I ran today.
    about 7.5 miles
    177/199 avg/max Hr.

That is a great time for 7.5 miles. Keep up the hard work.

Always good to face your enemy with resolve...and prevail!
    Yes it is, it is indeed.

Very nice pics, Rod! And yes, I can appreciate those inclines from the pics. I felt the same way when I snapped a few locally. It never looks as formidable in pics as it does in person.
    I expected you would appreciate the challenges those *small* hills provide.

Man, I'm surprised they have people do steps like that, as it seems like an accident waiting to happen in a race
    That set of stairs is actually another section of the trail that wasn't used in the race. I choose to run them for my training only because I am a glutton for punishment.

Geez, 4 to warm up for 10, eh? Showboat!

And that's very ambitious with 3 more halfs scheduled!
    I think both of those statements are more likely attributed to that 'glutton for punishment' thing.

Today I got out and did my 4 miles on a running track from my old high school. This is the first track I had ever run on. It isn't kept up anymore as the school is now used for other purposes but I still had fond memories as I ran around it. Enough of the surface is still useable to get in a good workout.

I managed to run the 4 miles in 40:01 and my legs felt good at the end. I am convinced that all training will be done off of pavement surfaces from now on.

I started out strong and then lost sometime from the 2.5-3.25 mile points. I did however manage to regain all of that time in the last three laps, so much so that I look forward to tomorrows 10 miles. Of course come tomorrow, I could be singing a different tune. LOL

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Morning gang! Nice work by everybody. Painter, that looks like a sweet place to run, call me officially jealous (though the course I'm running today is pretty sweet as well).

Off to run a 5k in an hour, be back later with some updates. Goal is to break 30 today.

[
    I managed to run the 4 miles in 40:01 and my legs felt good at the end. I am convinced that all training will be done off of pavement surfaces from now on.
    I can't recall if I even ever ran around my HS track . I'm sure I did, but that was a lot of beers...er..years ago.

Of course come tomorrow, I could be singing a different tune. LOL
    Yeah, I know that song .

Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    Off to run a 5k in an hour, be back later with some updates. Goal is to break 30 today.
    Again, good luck....and we'll be waiting to hear. From your previous times, I'm guessing 30 or under will be a good accomplishment, and I'm sure you can do it.

Me? Off to run and slow paced 4.4...maybe even 5 miles in a minute. Late start, as I just felt tired this morning.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

bahhh...

33:43

couldn't get into a rythym to save my life. First time I've run in 5 days, plenty strong but I just couldn't put it all together. Ran the first 1.5 in a tick over 15 minutes, but it just wasn't flowing. Real crowded field, over 700 runners on a narrow path around the lake. My son told me I finished in the top 200, which I'll have to check and will be happy if that's true. Also need to check the finish for my AG.

couldn't get into a rythym to save my life. First time I've run in 5 days, plenty strong but I just couldn't put it all together. Ran the first 1.5 in a tick over 15 minutes, but it just wasn't flowing. Real crowded field, over 700 runners on a narrow path around the lake. My son told me I finished in the top 200, which I'll have to check and will be happy if that's true. Also need to check the finish for my AG.
    I won't lie, I'm kind of surprised your time is still that high after all the running you had been doing. But I also know that we all know how "those days" can be. You gave it your best for today and for that, you should be proud.

Also, don't settle with being happy because of where you finished in a "generic" field on runners, as it means nothing without stats/perspective. The 1st yr I ran a 5K they split it up demographically, so I was pretty pleased with finishing "x" in "men 45-50yrs old", if you know what I mean? The 2nd one I ran, they didn't so that for some reason, as I was looking to compare (the competitive side of me ) to men my age. Still not worth much to do it, but....I think we're all a bit like that, eh? But just try to improve your own times and screw anyone else.

I had a ****ty run this morning. I was due for one I guess, lol. Felt fatigued and was reminded my last two runs were pretty hard interval runs, and that I could have probably used a day off. Felt strained from the time I set out. YES, Starship Trooper got me well out of the hood .

Distance - 4.4 Miles
    Time - 42:42
    149/176
    77% Humidity
    75* & sunny

Had to stop and walk about 4 times. Not complaining, just stating the facts .

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I won't lie, I'm kind of surprised your time is still that high after all the running you had been doing. But I also know that we all know how "those days" can be. You gave it your best for today and for that, you should be proud.

Also, don't settle with being happy because of where you finished in a "generic" field on runners, as it means nothing without stats/perspective. The 1st yr I ran a 5K they split it up demographically, so I was pretty pleased with finishing "x" in "men 45-50yrs old", if you know what I mean? The 2nd one I ran, they didn't so that for some reason, as I was looking to compare (the competitive side of me ) to men my age. Still not worth much to do it, but....I think we're all a bit like that, eh? But just try to improve your own times and screw anyone else.

I had a ****ty run this morning. I was due for one I guess, lol. Felt fatigued and was reminded my last two runs were pretty hard interval runs, and that I could have probably used a day off. Felt strained from the time I set out. YES, Starship Trooper got me well out of the hood .

Distance - 4.4 Miles
    149/176
    77% Humidity
    75* & sunny

yeah, I won't lie. I was a little disappointed, but I'm a glass-is-half-full kind of guy. I've been running 3 months and I've finished in the upper 3rd of the first 2 races I've run...I'm only going to get better. I did have a couple short walk breaks in there too. Also had the most amazingly hot half-Asian runner chick in front of me for about a mile and a half (well, she and I kept passing each other), wearing about as little is you can legally get away with wearing and a sweet butterfly lower back tattoo. She wasn't racing, just running. When I made the last turn and she kept going, I said to the volunteer at that point "****, there goes the scenary", got a good laugh.

Sucks that you struggled today, but sounds like you had some cool jams to carry you through (btw, 'the Yes Album' has been in and out of my truck's CD player for the last couple days, swapping places with 'Fragile' and Zeppelin's 'Roones', been in a classic rock frame of mind...eyeing up some Floyd for the actual move later this week). And hey, you know you'll run better, so don't even think about it. Just keep getting after it. I'm going to start pushing hard next week, see what I can get done.

yeah, I won't lie. I was a little disappointed, but I'm a glass-is-half-full kind of guy.
    It sounds to me like you had happen to you what happened to me last race; I overran and caused myself to have to stop 3x to walk and catch my breath. I didn't even come close to having that happen my 1st race. I just suck at pacing. Man, even now that I run 4.4-5mi non-stop routinely, I can still f'ck up a 3 mile run easy as hell if I don't pace right.

.... but sounds like you had some cool jams to carry you through (btw, 'the Yes Album' has been in and out of my truck's CD player for the last couple days, swapping places with 'Fragile' and Zeppelin's 'Roones', been in a classic rock frame of mind...eyeing up some Floyd for the actual move later this week). And hey, you know you'll run better, so don't even think about it. Just keep getting after it. I'm going to start pushing hard next week, see what I can get done.
    I was most serious about not caring about having a bad run . It really doesn't bother me, especially after having to fairly stellar previous runs. It's all good.

The Yes Album; my older sister bought this album when it came out in 71'. She tired of it quickly and "gave it to me" because I loved it. That was what I'd consider my first real intro to prog rock, and I bought almost everything of theirs that came out after, only being disappointed with Tomato. She also introduced me to Buckingham Nicks, which of course, morphed into Fleetwood Mac. She picked a few winning horses back then . I can't describe well enough how much I really love having this gadget.

Oh, and so...how far are you moving? I know it's a bitch to move, so good luck with that!

I understand the disappointment and still applaud you for getting it done just the same.

I see where you say you hadn't run in 5 days and I think that has a lot to do with it. I would suggest doing a short paced run at least 2-3 days prior just to loosen everything up. On the shorter distances 2 days prior would be my suggestion.

...I had a ****ty run this morning. I was due for one I guess, lol. Felt fatigued and was reminded my last two runs were pretty hard interval runs, and that I could have probably used a day off. Felt strained from the time I set out. YES, Starship Trooper got me well out of the hood .

Distance - 4.4 Miles
    149/176
    77% Humidity
    75* & sunny

It is still a good thing that you got that run in as days like today help with the 'character' thing you have mentioned.

I did manage to get out tonight and get in my run. The goal for today was 10 miles and I have to say the first km felt good. I won't say the same thing for the next several.

I chose to run on the dyke system close to here. These are flat road sized dykes with a packed crushed gravel. They are much nicer than running on roads and the area is basically farming land.

The first 5 kms were on nice dykes with markers every km. Then the dyke system takes a crap because for 2 kms they become more like a wild life trail with no markers. After working through that stretch I hit the turn around point and immediately had to do it over again. Those 4 kms really killed my time and they didn't make my legs any fresher either.

Then I was again back on to the good section for the last 6.5 kms. I stared pushing it a bit to try to make up some time. I had a few good kms that encouraged me and I was really happy when I got to the 15 km mark.

The last 1.5 kms were tough and I had burned up all of my reserves. In fact I was running on fumes and prayers for the last 6 kms.

As soon as I got to my truck I walked about 50 yards past it and then went and grabbed my protien drink. I walked some more and then did some stretching and headed home to run cold water over my legs.

One of the things that I did this run was take the time to fill up two water bottles with a dose of honey in each. At every km marker I drank about 1.5 ounces and the honey helps with the energy demands.

The total time for the 10 miles was 1:58:47 which still means a slow half marathon in 21 days. At least I will be better prepared for this one than I was for the one 5 weeks ago.

My next halfs after the June 28th one, will be Aug. 9th and Oct. 11th. By the time I do those two I am hoping to be able to run the 13.2 miles in under 2 hours.
    Last edited by thepainter5; 06-07-2009 at 10:24 PM.

I see where you say you hadn't run in 5 days and I think that has a lot to do with it.
    I agree 100%. If I take more than 2 days off, my next run is stressful for some reason.

One of the things that I did this run was take the time to fill up two water bottles with a dose of honey in each. At every km marker I drank about 1.5 ounces and the honey helps with the energy demands.
    First, good job on getting it done, despite it not feeling optimal. Second, how to you run with 2 water bottles attached to you? I have felt fortunate in that I didn't feel the need for water on my two longest runs (10mi), but like yesterday....on only a 4.4 mile run, I would have killed for a drink of water at only the 2.2 mi point (when I 1st had to walk). I thought I was adequately hydrated, but it might have been a combination of temp, humidity (which was actually low for ATL...it's 65* now and 93%!). But I just can't picture trying run while jostling around a bottle of water, let alone, two.

The total time for the 10 miles was 1:58:47 which still means a slow half marathon in 21 days. At least I will be better prepared for this one than I was for the one 5 weeks ago.

My next halfs after the June 28th one, will be Aug. 9th and Oct. 11th. By the time I do those two I am hoping to be able to run the 13.2 miles in under 2 hours.
    You are certainly on your way to preparing for them, so I believe you can meet your goal!

I was thinking of making a "post" and seeing if a MOD can insert it as the second post in this entire thread, so we can post all of your/our race entries and times....and keep it updated by editing it. Each person would have their own "column", if you will. I think it'd be a cool way to mark and monitor progress and accomplishments. Ironically, I'm not one to enter races myself, but I think it would be cool for you guys to have your own "trophy" area . Thoughts?

LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveFast23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Man, that's a great time, and then I see that you ran it on a beach? Even more impressive, as it would seem harder to me.

Oh, and it sounds like DOMS may await you tomorrow, despite your hopes otherwise .
    Yea I live about a quarter of a mile from the beach so when I run I do most of it on the beach. And yes I ran on sunday or atleast attempted to. I can only fit running in on the weekends so I try to put sunday as my long day. I tried for 10ish miles. After Sat running and lifting and then my friend and I went drinking. It was a really bad combo. Started late and I got the first about 7 miles in running. The pace was good (in fact below what I ran 2 weeks ago) then I got to the no energy point. Added to the fact the my ankles were killing me. I did some run/walk and then walked the last about 2 miles. I was really upset. But I'm feeling better now. (life lesson....Not going to lift or drink the day before I try and run 10 miles....

(life lesson....Not going to lift or drink the day before I try and run 10 miles....
    At age 20, you've got a few more lessons ahead, but this is a good start

O, I know I have more than a few things to learn. But this was my big lesson for the weekend. I'll take them one at a time.

It sounds to me like you had happen to you what happened to me last race; I overran and caused myself to have to stop 3x to walk and catch my breath. I didn't even come close to having that happen my 1st race. I just suck at pacing. Man, even now that I run 4.4-5mi non-stop routinely, I can still f'ck up a 3 mile run easy as hell if I don't pace right.
    learning how to pace properly is a dirty, nasty, buck-toothed bitch with a fat ass and no tits. I was running great half way through at 15 minutes but seemed to hit a wall.

Oh, and so...how far are you moving? I know it's a bitch to move, so good luck with that!
    that's the best part- about a quarter mile. Got a lot done this weekend.

I understand the disappointment and still applaud you for getting it done just the same.

I see where you say you hadn't run in 5 days and I think that has a lot to do with it. I would suggest doing a short paced run at least 2-3 days prior just to loosen everything up. On the shorter distances 2 days prior would be my suggestion.

It is still a good thing that you got that run in as days like today help with the 'character' thing you have mentioned.

I did manage to get out tonight and get in my run. The goal for today was 10 miles and I have to say the first km felt good. I won't say the same thing for the next several.

I chose to run on the dyke system close to here. These are flat road sized dykes with a packed crushed gravel. They are much nicer than running on roads and the area is basically farming land.

The first 5 kms were on nice dykes with markers every km. Then the dyke system takes a crap because for 2 kms they become more like a wild life trail with no markers. After working through that stretch I hit the turn around point and immediately had to do it over again. Those 4 kms really killed my time and they didn't make my legs any fresher either.

Then I was again back on to the good section for the last 6.5 kms. I stared pushing it a bit to try to make up some time. I had a few good kms that encouraged me and I was really happy when I got to the 15 km mark.

The last 1.5 kms were tough and I had burned up all of my reserves. In fact I was running on fumes and prayers for the last 6 kms.

As soon as I got to my truck I walked about 50 yards past it and then went and grabbed my protien drink. I walked some more and then did some stretching and headed home to run cold water over my legs.

believe me, it wasn't intentional. I hate going that long between runs. Ran 2 days prior to my first race and felt good. Going to be hitting my regular schedule the next couple weeks in preparation for my 10k, hope to turn in a decent performance.

Funny thing, I'm laying in bed awake this morning at 6AM, and I had to fight myself to keep myself from going out and running a couple early, that's how pissed I was about yesterday.

I think you'll be surprised at your half, I'm confident that you'll run it faster then you think.

Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)
    Many of them may have something to do with women!

On another note...
    Getting back into running feels awesome, but it's a slow process. Just ran my third 1-mile run today. I'm going another mile on Wednesday, then will kick it up to 1.5 miles on Saturday, etc.

The achilles tendons are doing OK. One thing the podiatrist said was that morning soreness might be due to some healing that's happening at night, and getting up and about in the morning is re-damaging the tissue. So he suggested some in-bed stretching before I get on my feet. Something similar is suggested for plantar fasciitis, as I understand it.

Anyway, simply flexing the feet before getting up (and at night, any time I wake up) seems to be making a huge difference with the morning soreness. I'm also stepping up calf stretching and continuing some eccentric heel drops. So far, so good.

....First, good job on getting it done, despite it not feeling optimal. Second, how to you run with 2 water bottles attached to you? I have felt fortunate in that I didn't feel the need for water on my two longest runs (10mi), but like yesterday....on only a 4.4 mile run, I would have killed for a drink of water at only the 2.2 mi point (when I 1st had to walk). I thought I was adequately hydrated, but it might have been a combination of temp, humidity (which was actually low for ATL...it's 65* now and 93%!). But I just can't picture trying run while jostling around a bottle of water, let alone, two.
    I have two water bottles that I bought for my bike. They have an area that allows me to comfortably wrap my thumb/index finger around and I run with them in my hands. I have a belt that holds two bottles but I don't like that. I really find having my own water/honey drinks helps me keep my pace as I can drink when I need to. During a race this is even more important to me.

You are certainly on your way to preparing for them, so I believe you can meet your goal!
    I am really hoping that my body agrees

I was thinking of making a "post" and seeing if a MOD can insert it as the second post in this entire thread, so we can post all of your/our race entries and times....and keep it updated by editing it. Each person would have their own "column", if you will. I think it'd be a cool way to mark and monitor progress and accomplishments. Ironically, I'm not one to enter races myself, but I think it would be cool for you guys to have your own "trophy" area . Thoughts?
    That could be an good thing if it is used by more members not just 1 or 2.

....believe me, it wasn't intentional. I hate going that long between runs. Ran 2 days prior to my first race and felt good. Going to be hitting my regular schedule the next couple weeks in preparation for my 10k, hope to turn in a decent performance.
    I hope your 10 goes well with you feeling loose and finding your rhythm from the get go.

Funny thing, I'm laying in bed awake this morning at 6AM, and I had to fight myself to keep myself from going out and running a couple early, that's how pissed I was about yesterday.
    I know that feeling all to well

I think you'll be surprised at your half, I'm confident that you'll run it faster then you think.
    That would be really nice. I am just going to focus on the next 20 days of training and see where it takes me come race day.

I have two water bottles that I bought for my bike. They have an area that allows me to comfortably wrap my thumb/index finger around and I run with them in my hands. I have a belt that holds two bottles but I don't like that. I really find having my own water/honey drinks helps me keep my pace as I can drink when I need to. During a race this is even more important to me.
    I would think that even 10oz per side would take its toll on the arms/biceps while running distance? I suppose it's all in the motion, but again, I run somewhat "military" style, so I've been told. I could picture having them strapped to my upper arms maybe, where movement is minimal and weight becomes negligible.

That could be an good thing if it is used by more members not just 1 or 2.
    Well, right now you and Steve (Snoack) would be the main two, but perhaps the other guys would come forward. You'd be able to enter any/all races you've ever run if you have the stats. Or maybe we'd just start in 09'? And hey, it might be encouraging to others to see them posted. You know, motivational.

Had a good workout this morning, then did 2hrs of yard work (cutting, edging, weed-eating, weed control, etc..). And then...then I got the wild notion to run at around 3pm (82* and 53%H). I ran 1.35 and had to change shirts (chaffing)...ran another 1.35 neighborhood lap and realized I was stupid for even making myself do it . Man, I shouldn't have forced it after yesterday's run, but I guess I was just feeling antsy. So, 2.7 miles the hard way .

I would think that even 10oz per side would take its toll on the arms/biceps while running distance? I suppose it's all in the motion, but again, I run somewhat "military" style, so I've been told. I could picture having them strapped to my upper arms maybe, where movement is minimal and weight becomes negligible.

Well, right now you and Steve (Snoack) would be the main two, but perhaps the other guys would come forward. You'd be able to enter any/all races you've ever run if you have the stats. Or maybe we'd just start in 09'? And hey, it might be encouraging to others to see them posted. You know, motivational.

Had a good workout this morning, then did 2hrs of yard work (cutting, edging, weed-eating, weed control, etc..). And then...then I got the wild notion to run at around 3pm (82* and 53%H). I ran 1.35 and had to change shirts (chaffing)...ran another 1.35 neighborhood lap and realized I was stupid for even making myself do it . Man, I shouldn't have forced it after yesterday's run, but I guess I was just feeling antsy. So, 2.7 miles the hard way .

I would LOVE this. Of course, you guys would all make me look bad, but I love racing so it would be cool.

As far as the weather, the ATL and Baltimore have a lot in common this time of year.

I run in a basic runners style where my arms only move forward and I don't even notice the weight of the bottles. I do alternate between the bottles when drinking so they stay relatively even weight wise. The option of drinking when it is needed out weighs the concern for tiring out my arms. From your avatar I would say you should be able to car a bottle or two for 5 miles.

On short runs I will carry only one bottle and switch hands after taking a drink.

Well when we see you enter a half we will know we have been motivational

Perhaps that needs to be our motto in here because all of us seem to do that regularly.

I would LOVE this. Of course, you guys would all make me look bad, but I love racing so it would be cool.....
    I wouldn't worry about that. If I posted the stats I have from some past runs, I will make myself look bad. Some would say age was setting in, I think it was laziness.

Besides if your stats are correct and you are running around 249 lbs, your times are impressive. I run now about 40 lbs heavier than my fastest runs and I know the difference that has made on my speed.

I would LOVE this. Of course, you guys would all make me look bad, but I love racing so it would be cool.

As far as the weather, the ATL and Baltimore have a lot in common this time of year.
    Hey, nobody makes anybody look foolish in here . You'd at least have run many more races than me! I'm in year #4 this summer and have only run two 5Ks...ever.

From your avatar I would say you should be able to car a bottle or two for 5 miles.
    LOL, thanks. But Rod, when I run... ANY little distraction (hell, I was concerned my MP3 player might throw me off, before I knew any better!) is something I fear .

Perhaps that needs to be our motto in here because all of us seem to do that regularly.
    That's the damn truth

Besides if your stats are correct and you are running around 249 lbs, your times are impressive. I run now about 40 lbs heavier than my fastest runs and I know the difference that has made on my speed.
    I agree. I think Steve does VERY well for a guy his size. I know that doesn't sound fair, but it impresses me.

That would be cool. We could watch how everyone finishes. If people use it.