OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are you hungry all the time when trying to lose fat

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but are you guys hungry all the time when you are trying to lose fat? I've had times where I've lost weight without really focusing on it, but those were times when I was really involved with sports. I would be hungry a lot just because of my activity, but I would eat whenever I was hungry.

Well, now I'm really trying to focus on losing fat, and keeping track of calories etc., and I'm finding myself hungry and moody a lot. Is this just unavoidable?

One other question, how long do you usually stay at your current diet to make sure that it is working for you? Do you give it a few weeks and then if there are not changes, do you adjust?

Thanks in advance!

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i think it depends on how much you have to lose, how lean you are to start with and by how big the average deficit is.

the longer you diet, the more hormones start to go off whack, sending the brain signals that make you want to EAT. it is the body's defence mechanism against starvation.

so long as you have an adequate plan and KNOW there's nothing 'wrong' - then it's a question of willpower. that's what happens when people want to diet down to minimal BF levels (for a competition).

there is a difference between 'perceived' hunger and physical hunger.
    it is also possible to feel real physical hunger and have no appetite.

in my experience, there are four types:

1. munchies
    2. grumbling stomach
    3. weakness, brain fog
    4. death by starvation

as for diets - you should be able to see a difference in 4-6 weeks.
    Last edited by Miranda; 01-11-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In addition, you should look at your macros. If you're consistently eating low carb, not increasing fats, and/or not doing refeeds you can exasperate hunger during dieting.

NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    i think it depends on how much you have to lose, how lean you are to start with and by how big the average deficit is.

the longer you diet, the more hormones start to go off whack, making you want to EAT. it is the body's defence mechanism against starvation.

there is a difference between 'perceived' hunger and physical hunger.
    it is also possible to feel real physical hunger and have no appetite.

in my experience, there are four types:

1. munchies
    2. grumbling stomach
    3. weakness, brain fog
    4. death by starvation

I was planning on just answering "yes" because it seems like whenever I think I need to drop a few pounds I feel like I'm always starving, but after reading your post and thinking about it I think I just have the munchies. I know that when I'm not focused on it I do better.

freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm trying to lose fat, and I don't find myself hungry all the time.

I'm not counting calories or anything, though, so maybe that is why.

I try to eat 5-8 small meals a day. I'm also drinking a gallon of water a day and I think that REALLY helps my hunger pangs.

But when and if I do find myself hungry, I listen to my body and eat. Maybe some celery, maybe an apple...but something, even if it is small. And then I drink another 25 swallows of water!

OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OctoberGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm trying to figure out how much I can eat now and still lose. If I can do it without serious hunger and mood swings, that would be ideal!

Freshstart, when you are just eating by hunger, do you find you are still losing steadily?

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post

Thanks, Miranda. So do I need to wait 4 weeks before I reevaluate? I signed up for this weight loss contest at the gym, and I usually don't measure progress by weight, but now I feel kind of pressured. If I weigh myself, and don't lose from week to week, should I change my plan then, or do you suggest I wait 4 weeks and go by how I look?

freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freshstart217 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's hard to say because I've been staying away from the scale recently. But all my clothes -underwear, shirts, pants- seem to be fitting better.

Pretty soon I'm going to need new clothes!!

I'll let you know what happens the next time I weigh myself (doing it every 2 weeks now instead of every day).

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by OctoberGirl View Post
    Thanks, Miranda. So do I need to wait 4 weeks before I reevaluate? I signed up for this weight loss contest at the gym, and I usually don't measure progress by weight, but now I feel kind of pressured. If I weigh myself, and don't lose from week to week, should I change my plan then, or do you suggest I wait 4 weeks and go by how I look?
    Use a measuring tape weekly. If your waist, thighs and/or butt measurements haven't gone down in 2 weeks, then you aren't making progress (well in my experience).
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)

That is such a great idea thank you

But when and if I do find myself hungry, I listen to my body and eat. Maybe some celery, maybe an apple...but something, even if it is small. And then I drink another 25 swallows of water!

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks i find this very helpful

Freshstart wrote this

ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ifbbprobetsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are eating and training properly,,,then the signs of hunger are good,,,its shows your metabolism is kicking in...but just be sure you are eating enough calories,,Im not saying signs of starvation are good..but that feeling like you are getting hungry about 1.5 hours after you eat is a great sign...
    Betsy McNally
    IFBB Professional Fitness Competitor
    www.bmhfitness.com

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm trying to figure out how much I can eat now and still lose. If I can do it without serious hunger and mood swings, that would be ideal!
    protein tends to blunt hunger, as does fiber. eat them veggies

[edit: i did an 'excess study' a while back; the aim of which was to make me fat
    anyhow, i was put on 55C/30F/15P macros at ca. 10-15% above maintenance.
    boy it made me HUNGRY - i complained about it to the researchers all the time.
    methinks it was the decreased protein.]

Originally Posted by freshstart217 View Post
    when and if I do find myself hungry, I listen to my body and eat. Maybe some celery, maybe an apple...but something, even if it is small. And then I drink another 25 swallows of water!
    this can be a slippery slope. things like celery are ok, but if you ate every time you were 'hungry' . . .

not everyone needs to 'starve' - the more BF you hold the more likely you are to burn it over lean tissue. an overweight/obese individual functions differently than a [very] lean one.

imo, experiencing HUNGER!!! once in a while can be handy to learn the difference between cravings and physically needing fuel.
    Last edited by Miranda; 01-11-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The idea is to feel hungry at times, but it should pass. If you're starving 24/7 than it's usually because healthy fats or carb numbers are off.

ethereality has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm trying to figure out how much I can eat now and still lose. If I can do it without serious hunger and mood swings, that would be ideal!

Freshstart, when you are just eating by hunger, do you find you are still losing steadily?
    If she's eating by hunger and losing weight, it probably means that she was above her body's setpoint to start off with. It all depends on hormones. I wouldn't completely go by what works for her and trust that your body will respond the same way. I would start of trying to stick to eating the right foods in smaller portions, just so that you're satisfied, and if you don't lost weight/fat after a few weeks, then lower your calories a bit more.

Two people of the same body weight, size, and composition could feel very different in the same state: a lean person that has put on a bit of muscle will be highly metabolic and have increased thermogenesis (wasted energy given off as heat), wherease a lean person that has dieted down and lost fat will likely have some metabolic adaptation (lowering of metabolism) and lowered thermogenesis. This is why those who diet are more likely to regain weight, and are also recommened to lose weight slowly. The body setpoint can be influenced to be either higher or lower within a reasonable range, though.

I would HIGHLY reccomend you read this article and other related material if you're trying to lose weight:

http://www.figureathlete.com/free_on...e_fat_setpoint

The author very much knows what she's talking about, and she's helped be get a better understanding of the whole concept. She goes over how hormones affect appetite/thermogenesis/and body fat setpoint, and how you can do your best to control them. She also has some really good articles on nutrient partitioning that would be helpful to read.

Hope this helps!

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but are you guys hungry all the time when you are trying to lose fat? I've had times where I've lost weight without really focusing on it, but those were times when I was really involved with sports. I would be hungry a lot just because of my activity, but I would eat whenever I was hungry.

Well, now I'm really trying to focus on losing fat, and keeping track of calories etc., and I'm finding myself hungry and moody a lot. Is this just unavoidable?

One other question, how long do you usually stay at your current diet to make sure that it is working for you? Do you give it a few weeks and then if there are not changes, do you adjust?

Thanks in advance!
    I think your confusing being hungry with cravings.....when dieting its good to never feel FULL.

When the scale stops, I adjust calories or supplements.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

Originally Posted by ethereality View Post
    If she's eating by hunger and losing weight, it probably means that she was above her body's setpoint to start off with. It all depends on hormones. I wouldn't completely go by what works for her and trust that your body will respond the same way. I would start of trying to stick to eating the right foods in smaller portions, just so that you're satisfied, and if you don't lost weight/fat after a few weeks, then lower your calories a bit more.

Two people of the same body weight, size, and composition could feel very different in the same state: a lean person that has put on a bit of muscle will be highly metabolic and have increased thermogenesis (wasted energy given off as heat), wherease a lean person that has dieted down and lost fat will likely have some metabolic adaptation (lowering of metabolism) and lowered thermogenesis. This is why those who diet are more likely to regain weight, and are also recommened to lose weight slowly. The body setpoint can be influenced to be either higher or lower within a reasonable range, though.

I would HIGHLY reccomend you read this article and other related material if you're trying to lose weight:

The author very much knows what she's talking about, and she's helped be get a better understanding of the whole concept. She goes over how hormones affect appetite/thermogenesis/and body fat setpoint, and how you can do your best to control them. She also has some really good articles on nutrient partitioning that would be helpful to read.

Hope this helps!
    You're right. What works for one person may not work for another. I'll have to figure out what works best for me.

Thanks for the link. Great article!

Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jessie86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ethereality View Post

Hope this helps!
    That is a fantastic link! Thank you
    "Fear knocked on the door, faith opened it, and there was nothing there."

Dont let fear hold you back from being all that you can be. Believe in yourself.