Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out, while eating like normal?

Im not sure Ive posted this in the correct forum. But hey, I tried.
    I just wanted to see what anyone else thought about my philosophy.
    I see it this way. You dont have to worry about eating this many portions of fat, this many portions of carbs, protein etc. If youre not an advanced bodybuilder, you will see gains as long as you are simply eating healthy foods. This means small meals too. Just stop eating once youre not hungry, and only eat when you ARE hungry. Those meals should be healthy. Like chicken salads, fruits, whole grains etc. And trying to get at least 3 food groups in: Now Im not gonna say Im a fitness guru, but I have studies nutrition outside of the realm of bodybuilding. My thoughts are that all this hard work you guys put into planning your meals, and weighing your chicken breasts, is only going to count for 5% of your results...that is unless your advanced...But Im not advanced....

Would these Ideas work for me?? They should right??

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by copyandpaste View Post
    If youre not an advanced bodybuilder, you will see gains as long as you are simply eating healthy foods.
    No, you won't.

You'll see newcomer gains, and, after that, you'll stall or progress in such a small capacity that it would be hard to tell if you even lift.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    No, you won't.

You'll see newcomer gains, and, after that, you'll stall or progress in such a small capacity that it would be hard to tell if you even lift.
    this

eating doesnt account for 5% of your gains, at any time it is the deciding factor on how you look. youll get big if you eat a lot, youll look small if you dont, you be healthy and look healthy if you eat healthy, youll look ill if you dont. simple as that.
    what you eat is EVERYTHING

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I see it this way. You dont have to worry about eating this many portions of fat, this many portions of carbs, protein etc. If youre not an advanced bodybuilder, you will see gains as long as you are simply eating healthy foods. This means small meals too. Just stop eating once youre not hungry, and only eat when you ARE hungry. Those meals should be healthy. Like chicken salads, fruits, whole grains etc. And trying to get at least 3 food groups in: Now Im not gonna say Im a fitness guru, but I have studies nutrition outside of the realm of bodybuilding. My thoughts are that all this hard work you guys put into planning your meals, and weighing your chicken breasts, is only going to count for 5% of your results...that is unless your advanced...But Im not advanced....

This belongs in the nutrition section. These ideas would work for you until you're noob gains ended then your strength and progress would stall. I'd suggest doing some more studying on your nutrition philosophy.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    My thoughts are that all this hard work you guys put into planning your meals, and weighing your chicken breasts, is only going to count for 5% of your results...that is unless your advanced...But Im not advanced....

You're totally lost here. Bodybuilding nutrition has little in common with "normal" eating. If you're planning on getting into bodybuilding, you've got a lot of reading to do, before you get up to speed on what's required, nutrition-wise.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copyandpaste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, so what is a good diet plan thats relatively easy to follow? Or where can I find one? I would prefer to hear it from the horses mouth rather than read some bias articles.
    I think calorie counting sucks by the way...because how do I know how many calories are in my salad? Or in a chicken breast, fish fillet, or a single egg for example??

Anyway...any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    because how do I know how many calories are in my salad? Or in a chicken breast, fish fillet, or a single egg for example??
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
    http://www.fitday.com/
    http://caloriecount.about.com/

etc.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you eat the same diet and same amount whilst lifting then dont expect to put on additional muscle mass...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You should fuel your body based on your training/goals. The reason most people here put all this hard work into planning their meals is to optimize their benefit from training, be it lean mass (muscle) gains, weight loss, improved sport performance etc. If an individual weighing 160lbs is trying to gain lean mass (with a great training program), but only consumes for example, 50g of protein a day and 1500kcal ...they probably won't achieve their goals. Similarly, if a ultramarathon runner is meant to consume 10000kcal on race day but only takes in 2000kcal, chances are they won't fare too well either.

My point is that you need to define your training/goals and fuel your body accordingly. Assess your current food consumption, look at your present activity levels, factor in your training and goals. Assuming you have a sound training regiment, if your fuel consumption then is in the ballpark of the food requirement calculation you make, you should then at least see some reward to your efforts. If you choose to be extra finicky (which it doesn't seem like you want to) about how much you are consuming, then chances are your progress will reflect this in a more positive way.
    -Train outside your physical and mental comfort zone.

-The more you sweat in practice, the less you will bleed in battle.

-The skeleton of my workouts: 1) Foam roll/tennis ball. 2) mobility/corrective exercises.
    3) scapular, core and hip activation, 4) dynamic warm up. 5) Lift. 6) Energy System Training. 7) Stretch.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Ok, so what is a good diet plan thats relatively easy to follow? Or where can I find one? I would prefer to hear it from the horses mouth rather than read some bias articles.
    I think calorie counting sucks by the way...because how do I know how many calories are in my salad? Or in a chicken breast, fish fillet, or a single egg for example??

Thanks.
    It's called education. Have some initaive. No one here is going to spoon-feed you a nutrition plan.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    It's called education. Have some initaive. No one here is going to spoon-feed you a nutrition plan.
    ^ You'd better put more effort into your workouts than you do in your research.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^^This. Would you also like someone to lift the weights for you, its pretty hard.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're totally lost here. Bodybuilding nutrition has little in common with "normal" eating.
    I'm not 100% on this bandwagon. You can look 'good' with pretty minimal effort into keeping the diet in the 'zone', with plenty of opportunities for splurges. A completely seperate discussion from contest preperation and diet.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thanks.
    Eat about 500 calories above maintenance. And if you hate to count calories, then you aren't devoted enough to be a bodybuilder.

R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Karaim View Post
    Eat about 500 calories above maintenance. And if you hate to count calories, then you aren't devoted enough to be a bodybuilder.
    I don't count calories. Guess I'm not devoted

Originally Posted by Drekkor View Post
    I'm not 100% on this bandwagon. You can look 'good' with pretty minimal effort into keeping the diet in the 'zone', with plenty of opportunities for splurges. A completely seperate discussion from contest preperation and diet.
    IMO, that would depend on what the definition of "normal eating" would be. To me, it's what the "civilians" do--eat fast food, fried stuff, sugar-laden desserts, etc. I don't think it's a good idea at all for a noob to get the idea that being lax is going to get him anywhere. The nutrition angle of bodybuilding is the most demanding, discipline-wise. Getting off on the right foot is vital.

I agree entirely about contest-prep. No question, it's in another world.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IMO, that would depend on what the definition of "normal eating" would be. To me, it's what the "civilians" do--eat fast food, fried stuff, sugar-laden desserts, etc. I don't think it's a good idea at all for a noob to get the idea that being lax is going to get him anywhere. The nutrition angle of bodybuilding is the most demanding, discipline-wise. Getting off on the right foot is vital.
    Not lax persay, but the biggest issues I see with a 'noob' is burnout and binges with an 'all or nothing' mindset. It's the same thing you see in the forums w/the 'max efficiency' or 'best' type posts, when a few simple eating adjustments and workouts are all that's needed for improvement. They don't need $1200 of new gym clothing, equipment, and supplements, what a joke
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Agreed, define is "normal" eating.
    What may be normal for you may be far from what I consider eating normal. I have a buddy who does not count his macros at all, he works construction and just eats ALOT of food. He does know about protein but in the end he gets enough cals to grow.

and only eating when your hungry may work for the select few but I know for me on some days I need to eat WAY more than I would normally eat.
    I also do want to have any doubts in my head related to nutrition if I had a bad day in the gym, or failed on a PR. I dont ever want to say I did not get it because I did not eat enough today as I did last time.
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10) R.Talbott is on a distinguished road. (+10)

That's not what OP was saying normal eating was. But I agree, the normal American diet is just pure ****. OP would be correct if he were talking about the "normal" Mediterranean Diet.

Not lax persay, but the biggest issues I see with a 'noob' is burnout and binges with an 'all or nothing' mindset. It's the same thing you see in the forums w/the 'max efficiency' or 'best' type posts, when a few simple eating adjustments and workouts are all that's needed for improvement. They don't need $1200 of new gym clothing, equipment, and supplements, what a joke
    100% agree. Unfortunately most people are too lazy or too stubborn to even do the small things that would make all the difference in their health.

Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
    100% agree. Unfortunately most people are too lazy or too stubborn to even do the small things that would make all the difference in their health.
    Sometimes that's the case. I smoke, it's not exactly easy to quit, addiction plays a roll in some of these things

Sometimes that's the case. I smoke, it's not exactly easy to quit, addiction plays a roll in some of these things
    And addicted. I forgot that one. I used to be "addicted" to sugar cereals. That was a hard one to quit.

I agree with this, too, especially the idea of noob burnout, due to trying to do everything in perfect fashion. The problem appears when you try to figure out where the line should be, between eating "cheat" food, and staying strict. I've never been an advocate of eating strict 100% of the time; everyone needs some wiggle room, occasionally. Again, the problem lies in where the line is drawn. And also again, we're not talking about prepping for competition.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to be "addicted" to sugar cereals.
    Being addicted to junk food is much worse. Just sayin'.

I'm now addicted to all bran. Tastes good but is healthy at the same time.

The problem appears when you try to figure out where the line should be, between eating "cheat" food, and staying strict.
    Depends on adoption of 'continuous improvement' principles vs 'revolutionary change', the latter is almost sure to fail in diet and other areas you try to apply it.

Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Karaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't count calories. Guess I'm not devoted
    It's either you count calories or you know approximately how much to eat to grow. Either way you know that you are staying above maintenance.

Depends on adoption of 'continuous improvement' principles vs 'revolutionary change', the latter is almost sure to fail in diet and other areas you try to apply it.
    I tend to be an "all or nothing" type of person, and it works well for me, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to subscribe to only my way of doing things. It takes a certain kind of "hard-headedness" to have success with this method.

"Continuous improvement" would be much more palatable to most people, I'd think. Consistent small changes in eating habits, from poor to good, would be easier to make, and stay with, providing the trainee is seeing actual improvement in the mirror with his/her current level if discipline.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Originally Posted by Beachman View Post
    ^^^This. Would you also like someone to lift the weights for you, its pretty hard.
    Maybe you missed the part where I said I have studied nutrition...that should give you and Idea as to what normal is to me. Obviously, to someone who has studied nutrition, Normal would be something that is NUTRITIOUS. Not empty calories, or preservative based foods. I hear you when you say I should get an education, but look around here, thats what Im doing. Research is conducted in many different ways besides picking up a book...I guess you could only know that by first having learned of it..."its called an education" lol
    I dont actually intend to sound like a dick head, though I did think it was quite rude of you to suggest that I lack education. It isnt education that I lack, it is simply a facet of study that I am interested in. Just because Einstein didnt know how to perform surgery, do we then say that he was uneducated? The answer is, he was lacking in that FACET of education...and may very well have been interested too, who knows hes just my example.
    Last edited by copyandpaste; 09-10-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: *Left something out.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I have studied nutrition...that should give you and Idea as to what normal is to me. Obviously, to someone who has studied nutrition, Normal would be something that is NUTRITIOUS. Not empty calories, or preservative based foods. And as far as "getting an education" as you say I should do...look around...Thats what Im doing. Research is conducted in many different ways besides picking up a book...I guess you could only know that by first having learned of it..."its called an education"
    I didn't miss anything. What's "normal" to you won't carry you very far at all, if, in fact, your goal is to bodybuild. You can take my advice to educate yourself, or not. It's up to you.

ETA: I was not commenting on your level of general education. I don't care what it is; it's irrelevant. This is BB.com, and the questions were posed in a bodybuilding context. My reply was in the same context.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 09-10-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

I tend to be an "all or nothing" type of person, and it works well for me, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to subscribe to only my way of doing things.
    At 60, I'd imagine you're very familiar with your limits. Perhaps things were different for you ~40 years ago though

I dont actually intend to sound like a dick head, though I did think it was quite rude of you to suggest that I lack education. It isnt education that I lack, it is simply a facet of study that I am interested in.
    Unfortunately, that's how you sound. Use judgement on the advice given here, and apply your 'best guess'. Men used to know how to pull the trigger, not sitting around discussing all the variables and possibilities until the target is lost.