Page 50 of 127 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 3806
    bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ya'll seen this kit from tractor supply to turn a 55g barrel into a wood stove? http://www.tractorsupply.com/united-...asedPricingCmd

btw looked on craigslist and found food grade plastic barrels for $15 about 10 miles from me. i luv the internets.
    THINK FOR YOURSELF, QUESTION AUTHORITY!

Instagram - @bury_me_in_sm0ke

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nainoa, the heirloom poblano pepper seeds are from botanical interests. Does heirloom automatically mean open pollinating?
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bubba289 View Post
    ya'll seen this kit from tractor supply to turn a 55g barrel into a wood stove? http://www.tractorsupply.com/united-...asedPricingCmd

btw looked on craigslist and found food grade plastic barrels for $15 about 10 miles from me. i luv the internets.
    Unless you've got a lot of barrels it ends up being a bad idea.

(I have a wood stove heating my fish house in the winter and looked into this)

You'll suffer firebox burn out at the end of each winter.

Now you could modify it... Say take a cutting torch... Cut one barrel down and collapse it inside the other like a liner. Weld it in place and weld the top back on. (The head doesn't take much heating fatique) And you could probably get a couple of winters out of it that way.

In the long term though the gauge of the metal just doesn't work.

Compare that to my wood stove with thick gauge tempered steel which has been through 7 seasons at a cost of $225 and still probably has another 5-7 seasons AT LEAST before it burns out, and the money doesn't come out in the wash.

You'd be better off just finding a guy who knows how to weld, buying the thick gauge metal and having him weld one up for you. (That's what I plan to do when this one kicks the bucket!)
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
    Nainoa, the heirloom poblano pepper seeds are from botanical interests. Does heirloom automatically mean open pollinating?
    Yep... All Heirlooms are open pollinators, but not all open pollinators are heirlooms...

To be considered an Heirloom Vegetable it must have a history that is tracked back to 1940 or earlier. (Basically pre-WWII)

So "Technically" an open pollinator that was developed and recorded in 1963 (Or whatever) is NOT an heirloom. But inside the industry "Heirloom" is just the short hand.

I'll look into Botanical Interests... thanks for checking on that for me!

EDIT: Just looked... Yep, that's exactly what I was looking for... Have to wait for next year since I've already bought mine for this year!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bubba289 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Unless you've got a lot of barrels it ends up being a bad idea.

(I have a wood stove heating my fish house in the winter and looked into this)

You'll suffer firebox burn out at the end of each winter.

Now you could modify it... Say take a cutting torch... Cut one barrel down and collapse it inside the other like a liner. Weld it in place and weld the top back on. (The head doesn't take much heating fatique) And you could probably get a couple of winters out of it that way.

In the long term though the gauge of the metal just doesn't work.

Compare that to my wood stove with thick gauge tempered steel which has been through 7 seasons at a cost of $225 and still probably has another 5-7 seasons AT LEAST before it burns out, and the money doesn't come out in the wash.

You'd be better off just finding a guy who knows how to weld, buying the thick gauge metal and having him weld one up for you. (That's what I plan to do when this one kicks the bucket!)
    i was a welder for about 6yrs. building one out of plate wouldnt be a problem for me to do on my own. if i owned my place i would just build a good one and put it in my living room, but since i rent i cant really do that. i was just thinking i could keep that kit and a barrel around incase the sht really did hit the fan in a big way all at once and i had to put it in the house just to keep us alive.

you're right about the thin gauge metal. but i read some suggestions of putting sand or firebrick in the bottom of them to make the barrel last longer. how well that would work i dont know, but it would surelty be better than hot coals on thin metal for hours and hours on end.

Originally Posted by bubba289 View Post
    i was a welder for about 6yrs. building one out of plate wouldnt be a problem for me to do on my own. if i owned my place i would just build a good one and put it in my living room, but since i rent i cant really do that. i was just thinking i could keep that kit and a barrel around incase the sht really did hit the fan in a big way all at once and i had to put it in the house just to keep us alive.

you're right about the thin gauge metal. but i read some suggestions of putting sand or firebrick in the bottom of them to make the barrel last longer. how well that would work i dont know, but it would surelty be better than hot coals on thin metal for hours and hours on end.
    Oh yeah... The best thing to do with a wood stove is line the bottom with RATED fire brick. Not just any old pourous brick or stone they have water in them and crack and/or Explode

The fire brick with the fire building on top of it creates thermal load. So then even when your fire burns out (Say while you're sleeping and you didn't drink enough water to wake you up to go piss in the middle of the night like you should have) the Fire bricks will retain enough heat for a couple of hours to keep the place from going stone cold while you get the new coal bed established.

As for how fire brick mortared with sand helps fire box burnout... Yes it does help... But at the thin gauge of the barrel, we're talking something like 140 days of heating opposed to 120 days of heating.

If you have skills as a welder (And the big thing is that 6 inch collar being tighter than a nun's pussy) I would sink the investment on building your own basic wood stove out of plate. (Do the research obviously on the specifics) and make your own backup stove that's gonna have 25+ years of life if/when you need it.

Hell if you lived down the road from me I'd buy the materials for one for myself and we could do it together. (If I didn't already have a stove in storage my buddy and I would be welding one now!)
    6'4"

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My dad has an old wood stove sitting in his shed. It's one of those that's about 4 1/2 feet tall. I might have to go get that from him...

in omnia paratus

So I dropped about $100 at the garden center yesterday. Gonna start my pepper seeds (cayenne and heirloom Poblano) Sunday. Got the grow mat and everything. I'll have to wait until next week to get the rest of my seeds, the fertilizer, potting soil, and grow lights.

in omnia paratus

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    http://globalxvehicles.com/survival-...edition-camper

Ill take any model from this company

China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope

So I dropped about $100 at the garden center yesterday. Gonna start my pepper seeds (cayenne and heirloom Poblano) Sunday. Got the grow mat and everything. I'll have to wait until next week to get the rest of my seeds, the fertilizer, potting soil, and grow lights.
    Cayenne... Nice choice...

Do you have a food dehydrator?

One of the really nice things about the selection you've got there is that you can get to the end of the season or get into bumper crop time... Pick the peppers as they're turning red. De-stem... Slice in half... try to remove some seeds but no need to get all surgical about it etc...

Then dehydrate the peppers (Skin Down) till they are BONE dry.

Zip bag them and toss in the freezer... You'll end up doing this in multiple batches over the last 4 weeks of the season...

When you get the final pick dried... Take all of them out... And grind them into your own custom chili powders!
    *Note there is other stuff in most chili powders... (Like toasted cumin) But really, just go read the ingredient label of a high end chili powder and you'll get an idea of these little options and you can have fun playing up your own custom blend for batches and batches of Saturday Football Chili this fall!

*Note: these peppers don't grind down into much volume at all. Doing the above ^^^^ my end of season peppers produced 2 "Plump Full" sandwich bags as a final 4 weeks production of:

4 Serrano plants
    4 Poblano plants
    10 aji dulce (Which every 2 probably produces like 1 Cayenne)
    8 Jalapeno (That were on their last leg and only at half production.)
    6'4"

Originally Posted by Procta View Post

Yeah... Gas Yardage might be an issue!
    6'4"

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    Yeah... Gas Yardage might be an issue!
    when it gas runs out I will jut grab a chair then sit and admire the vehicle til supplies are gone
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope

Those are pretty sweet RVs. Saw them on the Travel Channel. HUGE price tag, though.

in omnia paratus

when it gas runs out I will jut grab a chair then sit and admire the vehicle til supplies are gone
    Dude... You need to be realistic... IMHO you need to sit down and do a pretty big and hard rethink on this one. I mean any person with a reasonably sane mind has got to realize that when Civilization collapses the first thing that happens is all the chairs get used up!
    Did 3rd grade musical chairs teach you nothing!
    6'4"

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    would hate to see what happens when you blow out TWO tires

hope that honda civic spare comes in handy

Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you guys have any suggestions for food storage jars/containers?
    ★ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ ★

Originally Posted by Xenic View Post
    I've always used the standard mason jars with the reuseable rings and so I just buy new lids each summer/fall.

Then for Christmas my Mother (Who comes from the wilderness survivalist family roots) gave me the reusable rubber ring lid kits and told me "When the world goes to hell you won't be able to buy new lids."

She's currently looking for a stainless steel rifle for me as a birthday present!
    (Because stainless will last generations etc...)

Good Old Mom... Probably kill Burt Gummer in a knife fight!
    6'4"

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Xenic View Post
    What kind of food? What timescale?

I have 5 gallon (virgin) plastic HDPE buckets. Inside of them I have mylar bags. Inside of those I have beans/rice/some macaroni with O2 absorbers and diatomacious earth. Should be good for a long, long time. The beans and white rice especially.

I also have several cases of Mountain House #10 and #2.5 cans I got through group buys with pretty reasonable prices. The $/calorie is pretty high, but all you need is hot water to have some pretty got damn good food (when you are hungry). Add a bucket of salt and a sealed bucket of raw wildflower honey and there you have my long term food storage.

Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post
    would hate to see what happens when you blow out TWO tires

hope that honda civic spare comes in handy
    Run-flat tires are the way to go.....

in omnia paratus

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    What kind of food? What timescale?

I have 5 gallon (virgin) plastic HDPE buckets. Inside of them I have mylar bags. Inside of those I have beans/rice/some macaroni with O2 absorbers and diatomacious earth. Should be good for a long, long time. The beans and white rice especially.

I also have several cases of Mountain House #10 and #2.5 cans I got through group buys with pretty reasonable prices. The $/calorie is pretty high, but all you need is hot water to have some pretty got damn good food (when you are hungry). Add a bucket of salt and a sealed bucket of raw wildflower honey and there you have my long term food storage.
    NICE!

Though I don't know about the Macaroni. Like of all the pastas Macaroni uses up the most space has the most surface area and thus has the highest chance of going stale.

I'd eat the Mac in one crazy pasta salad festival this 4th of July and fill that bucket with lentils!

Or if you're really in love with having a pasta, you can always just seal up some semolina or durham flour to be able to make your own!

Good thinking on the stockpile of salt. I've got a feed mill 100 yards from my house and it's right on my bugout route, so the plan is to swing through their back storage area and grab salt blocks. But everyone should have a ton of Salt on a prepper list in some capacity or strategy!
    6'4"

Do they make those for the Honda Civic?
    6'4"

insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) insomniac23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

looks like itd be pretty nice for the first day or so before someone kills you for it =/

where do you guys draw the line on your prepping? id honestly consider alot of this over kill....then again i'll probably only be able to use what i can put on my back
    Your Dreams are within reach

Insomniac23 goes Platinum!!!!

***Team Manlet***

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    run flats are designed for small punctures in the tire

i dont think they can withstand a firefight

(which is what youll be asking for in that thing)

Do they make those for the Honda Civic?

yes, they have them on the Mini

(same bolt pattern)

Originally Posted by insomniac23 View Post
    looks like itd be pretty nice for the first day or so before someone kills you for it =/

where do you guys draw the line on your prepping? id honestly consider alot of this over kill....then again i'll probably only be able to use what i can put on my back
    Well most everything I have prepped is part of my rotation... As it gets old I eat it. Or it's storage from my garden etc... So think of it more as "Advanced Grocery Shopping."

As for the skills associated. All of them are a part of my lifestyle.

I consider myself a Modern Rustic... So the skills I build, come with me from location to location. I just need a bug out location that I own, instead of bugging out to one of my friends.
    6'4"

Originally Posted by insomniac23 View Post

whats overkill and whats not to me depends largely on whether you're staying put or bugging out. if you're bugging out. like u said, what u can fit in your vehicle or on your back is about all u can count on taking with u, so why buy more. but if u have a good set up where you're at, like 10+ acres in the country with a pond or river and some livestock, that opens up the amount of prepping u can do infinitely.

i got 4 of those barrels for $45 this morning. they had juice in them. just gotta clean em up and fill em. only thing is, i dont want to take up that much space in my garage, its cramped already with my weights and stuff. any reason i cant just stick em in the backyard up against the fence and build some kind of cover to go over them to keep them shaded?

i put it in the gun thread already, but i also ended up buying a springfield 1903 from the guy. he just happened to be a gunsmith and had 50+ guns for sale

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    NICE!

Though I don't know about the Macaroni. Like of all the pastas Macaroni uses up the most space has the most surface area and thus has the highest chance of going stale.

I'd eat the Mac in one crazy pasta salad festival this 4th of July and fill that bucket with lentils!

Or if you're really in love with having a pasta, you can always just seal up some semolina or durham flour to be able to make your own!

Good thinking on the stockpile of salt. I've got a feed mill 100 yards from my house and it's right on my bugout route, so the plan is to swing through their back storage area and grab salt blocks. But everyone should have a ton of Salt on a prepper list in some capacity or strategy!
    I filled a 5 gallon bucket with it. Salt is important, hence the word salary

The macaroni probably wasn't the wisest choice.

I have considered cracking into a bucket or two out of curiosity...and to upgrade the macaroni. They are approaching 5 years old now.

I consider myself a Modern Rustic... So the skills I build, come with me from location to location. I just need a bug out location that I own, instead of bugging out to one of my friends.
    Im an Eco-Guy first (water conservation, recycling, alternative energy, carbon footprint, etc)

then Im a Budget Prepper next (wary of natural disasters, state-wide epidemics, EMP/CMP)

anyone watch the movie Contagion?

(the way people were looting/rioting is what i usually refer to)

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    I filled a 5 gallon bucket with it. Salt is important, hence the word salary

The macaroni probably wasn't the wisest choice.

I have considered cracking into a bucket or two out of curiosity...and to upgrade the macaroni. They are approaching 5 years old now.
    Yeah it's the water in suspension with the starch in macaroni that will cause it to go stale.

If you go with Lentils, they are a complete protein, which will help a lot during any times that you're lean in actual meat!
    6'4"

anyone heard of "earthships"?

Okay, so the experiment begins. Five peat plugs of cayenne and five plugs of poblano peppers are toasty warm on the germination mat right now.....

in omnia paratus