View Poll Results: Is it worth taking vitamin and supplements for muscle and weight gain?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but this plan has too many vitamins

0 0%
  • Yes, every vitamin and supplement helps toward mass gain

0 0%
  • Yes, but you don't need to buy as much as that.

2 100.00%
  • No, use serious mass gainer which includes a lot of vitamins and supplements already

0 0%
  • No, just get the vitamins and don't bother with the additional supplements.

0 0%
    WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100) WavieDavie is not very well liked. (-100)

Thumbs up Poll: I'm thin and weak ... help please.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to visit my post. I honestly appreciate it.

I've been thin most of my life. I started to try to change myself 3 years ago. Since then I have gained 1 stone and 5 pounds (around 19 lbs). This last week I have gained 5 lbs (pounds) due to working out and drinking a protein shake called Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Gainer, which is working wonders.

However, I want to develop myself as fast as I can and go from my current weight which is 8 stone 5 pounds (117 lbs) to 11-11.5 stone (154-159 lbs). I am 5'6 in height which is 168 cm.

Therefore, I was thinking of adding various supplements and vitamins to my current intake by following a plan located on bodybuilding.com called supplement-time-timing-is-everything. This involves:

Wake Up Immediately Upon Waking

Whey Protein — 20g
    BCAAs — 5g
    Caffeine — 200mg

Breakfast 30 To 60 Minutes After Waking

Multivitamin — 1 dose
    B complex 100 — 1 dose
    Vitamin C — 1,000mg
    Vitamin D — 1,000-3,000 IU
    Vitamin E — 400-800 IU
    Calcium — 500-600mg
    Fish Oil — 2-3g

Lunch With Lunch

Fish Oil — 2-3g

Pre-Workout No. 1 60 Minutes Before Exercise

Caffeine — 200-400mg

Pre-Workout No. 2 15 To 30 Minutes Before Exercise

Whey Protein — 20g
    BCAAs — 5g
    Creatine — 2-5g Beta-Alanine — 2-3g

Post-Workout Within 45 Minutes Of Exercise

Whey Protein — 20g
    Casein Protein — 10-20g
    BCAAs — 5g
    Creatine — 2-5g
    Beta-Alanine — 2-3g
    Fast Carbs — 30-60g

Dinner With Dinner

Vitamin C — 1,000mg
    Calcium — 500-600mg
    Vitamin D — 1,000-3,000 IU

Bedtime 30 Minutes Before Going To Bed

Casein Protein — 20g
    Fish Oil — 2-3g

So my question is, is this plan worth it? Does it have too many vitamins? Is it worth taking vitamins? Are supplements such as Creatine, BCAA's and Casein worth it? Ideally, I'd like to reach 11 to 11.5 stone within a year, that'd prob be pushing it though?

I know the my current protein shake (serious mass gainer by optimum nutrition) has some creatine, casein and BCAAs in it already, but I believe it is less than half the dose of the ones recommended on that guide.

Sorry, I know that is a lot of questions but I have found this forum to be very receptive to questions and help so I would appreciate any advice that people can offer from their own experience or what the feel would suit me.

One last thing worth mentioning; I am currently doing the hybrid P90x and Insanity plan which is really hardcore and involves me exercising 6 days a week. It's a bit of a struggle, but I can feel myself getting stronger each day and I believe it is helping with my weight gain.

It's not just the fact that I want to do this for weight gain, I need more energy. I need to feel awake during the day, I need to be able to work this 15 hour a day job that I am doing (5 days a week too). It's a lot of work, but I need as much energy as I can. If vitamins and supplements can help with this, I will take them. I am also eating much more than I used to due to exercising, I am hungrier, I eat more, and I enjoy my food. I feel this has attributed to my weight gain. So I believe, overall, that I am eating well enough to gain weight. It is important to me now to have the vitamin and supplement intake to give me as much energy as I can to get through these approaching weeks where I will need every ounce of energy that I can muster to get me through this.
    Last edited by WavieDavie; 10-23-2016 at 10:37 AM.

TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TrainerTone has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Put the supplements aside and focus more on your caloric intake. You need to be in a consistent caloric surplus in order to gain weight. What this means is you put more calories into your system than you burn. Google a TDEE calculator. This will configure your maintenance calories. Then I'd add 500 calories on top of that number. That's what you'll need daily in order to see weight gain. Shoot for a pound or so a week. Also you can keep the mass gainer if it's working well but don't forget to consume whole food whenever possible.
    Instagram - beyond__fitness__

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Vitamins don't cause you to gain weight.

I don't see why you need all of these supplemental vitamins if you're taking a multi. Doesn't the multi already cover those things?

You don't need to add BCAAs to whey. Whey has plenty of bcaas.

Honestly, this plan looks like a hot mess. I would start with the reading nutrition stickies.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    Honestly, this plan looks like a hot mess. I would start with the reading nutrition stickies.
    Yup..

5lbs weight gain in 1 week is not an recommendable approach.
    Set realistic short-term goals, ex: .5-1lb a week.. and do research on proper nutrition and training (full body beginner split).
    Keep the creatine and the essentials and start relying more on whole foods than supps.
    Only use the mass gainer when you are in need of that extra calorie but they should by no means replace whole foods.

Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definitely way too many vitamins in my opinion. You really should only be taking vitamin supps if you have a deficiency. Otherwise it's just a waste of money, and can be potentially harmful. As for your weight gainer, that too is practically a waste of money. I always just make my own, costs less, and just as effective if not more. I use 3 cups of whole milk, 1 banana, 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter, 2 cups of old fashioned oats, and a scoop of protein. Comes out to about 5 cups when blended all up. Split it into 2 shakes of 2 1/2 cups each, and take it after your workout.

But to agree with most of the people here, take a step back from all the supplements, and focus on whole foods.

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you need to head here before considering any supplements.

TDEE Calculator

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients

Nutrition

Workout Routines
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    This and then don't buy any supplements until you actually have learned what stuff does versus buy based on marketing copy.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic

startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    800 mg of caffeine plus a pre workout product

yoikes!
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by emergency View Post
    you need to head here before considering any supplements.

TDEE Calculator

Calculating Calories and Macronutrients

Nutrition

Workout Routines
    Great advice here. Think of vitamins as an insurance policy. A well balanced diet and a caloric surplus is what you should most focus on to gain weight.

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you put a third as much thought into your diet and training as you did your supps, you'd be well on your way.

The multi probably already contains all those extra vitamins you're adding.
    Whey already contains BCAAs. I also don't know why you're getting 80g of protein from powder if you only weigh 117lbs...shoot for 100-120g protein per day and try to get a larger percentage from whole foods rather than just powder. And if you really like the texture of casein, feel free to keep it in, but otherwise, you can simplify things and save money by only having one type of protein powder.
    And don't try to gain 5lbs per week. That'll be primarily just water and fat.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Assuming you're a male, you really don't want to be taking in that much calcium