Closed Thread
Page 174 of 265 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 172 173 174 175 176 184 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 7937
    billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    Serious?
    i'm new to rippetoes, i may not be a guru like you but a little help would be nice

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by billyblanks View Post
    i'm new to rippetoes, i may not be a guru like you but a little help would be nice
    Its just obvious that you didn't read the sticky. You'll be doing YOURSELF a huge, huge favor by taking a little time and trying to read through it. Not necessarily all the threads/posts, etc but at least the sticky.

Not that I don't want to help (its ABA, BAB, etc), its just that it would be better for YOU if you read through it first and then ask questions on things you don't understand.

I do like you hair BTW.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billyblanks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its just obvious that you didn't read the sticky. You'll be doing YOURSELF a huge, huge favor by taking a little time and trying to read through it. Not necessarily all the threads/posts, etc but at least the sticky.

Not that I don't want to help (its ABA, BAB, etc), its just that it would be better for YOU if you read through it first and then ask questions on things you don't understand.

I do like you hair BTW.
    thanks just got my hair did, i did read the wiki about starting strength and i pretty much understood everything. i thought it was ABA BAB but i wasn't 100% sure. thanks for clearing it up

jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i've been doing 3x5 squat/bench/deads/dips and squat/mpress/rows/pullups MWF for the last 3 1/2 months or so and was wondering if anyone had made variations to their workouts as far as reps at this point. I've seen decent strength gains and want to put on some more mass. Has anyone ever changed one or two of their days to like a 8-10 rep scheme. The 3x5 heavy lifts has worked well but i'm eager to change the workouts a little bit, its getting really repetitive. Also, im going to be doing two practices a day soon for swimming, i definitely will not be able to go as heavy for the lifts i've been doing.
    Current stack:
    Multivitamin
    ON 100% Whey
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Bud Light

sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sully13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jonkruger View Post
    i've been doing 3x5 squat/bench/deads/dips and squat/mpress/rows/pullups MWF for the last 3 1/2 months or so and was wondering if anyone had made variations to their workouts as far as reps at this point. I've seen decent strength gains and want to put on some more mass. Has anyone ever changed one or two of their days to like a 8-10 rep scheme. The 3x5 heavy lifts has worked well but i'm eager to change the workouts a little bit, its getting really repetitive. Also, im going to be doing two practices a day soon for swimming, i definitely will not be able to go as heavy for the lifts i've been doing.
    Starting Strength uses 1x5 for deadlifts, so you haven't been doing the correct sets x reps for the lifts. The lower volume you should be doing for deads will help you when you start swimming. You will have to prioritize and eat a lot....a lot more than you are eating now.

I'm not getting into the 8-10 rep thing because I don't know if this program modifies well in that direction. Mass gain is mostly diet anyway.

RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RAW87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive just moved my workout equipment inside due to the cold weather and no spot in my house allows for overhead press standing up, so is it alright to preform them on your knees?

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RAW87 View Post
    Ive just moved my workout equipment inside due to the cold weather and no spot in my house allows for overhead press standing up, so is it alright to preform them on your knees?
    Its better than sitting. (for the purposes of SS).

jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10) jonkruger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sully13 View Post
    Starting Strength uses 1x5 for deadlifts, so you haven't been doing the correct sets x reps for the lifts. The lower volume you should be doing for deads will help you when you start swimming. You will have to prioritize and eat a lot....a lot more than you are eating now.

I'm not getting into the 8-10 rep thing because I don't know if this program modifies well in that direction. Mass gain is mostly diet anyway.
    oh yeah i do 1x5 for deads sorry i miss typed that
    Current stack:
    Multivitamin
    ON 100% Whey
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Bud Light

SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jonkruger View Post
    Given that your 6'2" and 154lbs and have been doing this for 3 1/2 months and havent put on "mass", I can only assume you havent been eating nearly enough, or you havent been doing your GOMAD, or you have been eating way way too clean.

Never the less, if you decide to change the rep scheme, please dont call it Starting Strength or Rippetoes any more.

Something like madcows 5x5 might interest you though.
    Height - 5'11""
    Weight - 88kg

Current Program - Texas Method

justsobeme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sun tzu View Post
    I'm currently not on SS but I have been trying a different WO with the same
    exercises. I realized that if I squatted first and then did bench press, then I couldn't bench so much as if my bench were my first exercise. The squats had taken a toll on me. On SS, as you know, you always squat first and you squat every WO.

Also, let's say that you are following the Squat/Bench/Dead and Squat/Press/Clean version. This basically a lower body lift (mainly affecting legs, glutes and hams, but also other muscles all over the body), followed by an upper body lift (which hardly works the lower body) and finally a sort of upper/lower body lift (that works both back and legs in an notable way). So taking all of this into account, the lower body has more volume every WO and also the lower body lift is always done first. Therefore, I can't help thinking that the program has a bias for the lower body.

I'm interested in your opinion on this.
    Some good info here.

/JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Sun tzu View Post
    I'm currently not on SS but I have been trying a different WO with the same
    exercises. I realized that if I squatted first and then did bench press, then I couldn't bench so much as if my bench were my first exercise. The squats had taken a toll on me. On SS, as you know, you always squat first and you squat every WO.

Also, let's say that you are following the Squat/Bench/Dead and Squat/Press/Clean version. This basically a lower body lift (mainly affecting legs, glutes and hams, but also other muscles all over the body), followed by an upper body lift (which hardly works the lower body) and finally a sort of upper/lower body lift (that works both back and legs in an notable way). So taking all of this into account, the lower body has more volume every WO and also the lower body lift is always done first. Therefore, I can't help thinking that the program has a bias for the lower body.

I'm interested in your opinion on this.
    I suspected that squats were killing my bench and press until I switched things around and tried clean, press, squat and saw no boost in my press. I've come to the conclusion that while I feel wiped after squats, it's not having a noticeable negative effect on my other strength exercises.

The only change I've recently made is putting the clean first so I'm fresh and can devote as much speed as I can to it.

For the most part everything works everything, and as legs and back and core are significant, I don't see an unreasonable bias toward the lower body.
    PL Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109470421&goto=newpost

therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any of you guys train or have trained SS early in the morning (i.e. 5-7am'ish)? How was it? What was your pre-workout nutrition like? From what I gather from Mark Rippetoe's few posts on the subject at the strengthmill forums, he does not prefer it, although his preference is personal.
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by therorschach View Post
    Any of you guys train or have trained SS early in the morning (i.e. 5-7am'ish)? How was it? What was your pre-workout nutrition like? From what I gather from Mark Rippetoe's few posts on the subject at the strengthmill forums, he does not prefer it, although his preference is personal.
    I did SS at 5/6 in the morning for two months. Pre-workout nutrition is not really all that hard. You make two shakes, one pre and one post. You sip the pre-workout nutrition with your coffee and even during the beginning of the workout, like during your 5-10 minutes on the bike. After you train you drink the second, and then you eat a meal of whole food as "breakfast" since that's what time it will be.

The training went fine. It might take a while to get used to being sleepy while training but that goes away fast.

Originally Posted by therorschach View Post
    I've had alot of success in the morning. I'm up at 4am and start by 4:45.

Basically what I do is have a casein, milk, pb shake right before bed.
    Get up & drink some sort of preworkout drink (White Flood, Shock Therapy, Nuclear Garbage) while I'm on the bowl. Works best on a empty stomach.

Train. Then immediately post workout shake + real food.

tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking slayer

Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    Somerdale... isn't that where Buffy the Vampire Slayer lives?

not that I watch that show...
    im not sure about that but....slaying isant out of the question for me.
    W34.5
    BF%24.95
    we 176.0
    H5'8

goal
    W32
    BF%12
    WE 165

tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tkmgsop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down dave76

Originally Posted by FROGGBUSTER View Post
    good replies, i'm going to do upper body before squats starting from now on.
    Rules for this thread.

1. I expect you to read the sticky. It's been linked above for your convenience.

2. When asking a question, please quote or provide a link to the part of the sticky that confuses you. This will help me understand exactly where you are confused.

3. If you don't follow rule #2, don't be surprised if my answer consists of nothing more than a link to the sticky.

4. Don't ask for my permission to change the program. It's not my program and I won't authorize any changes. The only response you'll get from me (if any) will be a link to the Advanced Rippetoe Adjustments section of the sticky. If I'm not feeling particularly generous at the time, I'll simply respond "no".

5. I don't monitor the forum 24/7. Give me time to see your post and answer it. If you bump your question even one time, it will be ignored.

6. Don't PM a question to me. I want answers to be in public for everyone to see.

I really would like to help anyone who is genuinely trying to improve themselves. Weight training has become my hobby and, like any hobbyist, I want to encourage the novice, not shoot them down in flames. Please understand that weight training takes a commitment from you, the trainee. If you don't have some patience, you won't go far in this sport. If you don't have the patience and dedication to at least read THE STICKY, do everyone, including yourself, a favor and take up another hobby.

7. Please post all Mark Rippetoe "Starting Strength" questions in this thread. If you start another thread on the topic of Rippetoe, it will be closed.

Any questions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by RipStone : 05-01-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    W34.5
    BF%24.95
    we 176.0
    H5'8

goal
    W32
    BF%12
    WE 165

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tkmgsop View Post
    Rules for this thread...
    1) he didn't break any rules
    2) he's been contributing to this thread long before you
    3) Dave76 has flown the coop
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

u mod repped?

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    u mod repped?
    i'm God repped.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

i'm God repped.
    500+ jump FTMFW!

500+ jump FTMFW!
    now they'll HAVE to listen to me! >>evil laugh<<
    -Don Vito Corleone

Thumbs down

now they'll HAVE to listen to me! >>evil laugh<<
    lay off the roids, I think they are drive you insane.
    W34.5
    BF%24.95
    we 176.0
    H5'8

goal
    W32
    BF%12
    WE 165

lay off the roids, I think they are drive you insane.
    thanks?
    -Don Vito Corleone

Cool

please link me to where in the sticky or FAQ, that it says it's ok to do bench before squat.(or you can quote ripp him self ) please tell me the sorce o your infomation.

thanks again
    buffy watcher.
    W34.5
    BF%24.95
    we 176.0
    H5'8

goal
    W32
    BF%12
    WE 165

please link me to where in the sticky or FAQ, that it says it's ok to do bench before squat.
    No, I won't. He wasn't asking for permission to alter the order of the exercises. He was asking if anyone else had ever tried it. He's run Rippetoe's before and if he wants to do bench first instead of Squats, well, he is well within his rights. There are worse ways to fukk with the program.

Look, I understand where you're coming from. You're nobody here, and your attempts to police the thread are juvenile at best. That must make you really angry. I'd suggest you bite down on your pillow a little harder to help relieve the tension.

Thanks for stopping by. Have some negs.
    Last edited by bango skank; 12-11-2008 at 04:12 PM.
    -Don Vito Corleone

SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, I won't. He wasn't asking for permission to alter the order of the exercises. He was asking if anyone else had ever tried it. He's run Rippetoe's before and if he wants to do bench first instead of Squats, well, he is well within his rights. There are worse ways to fukk with the program.
    The problem I have with not squatting first,
    1) From a strength perspective the squat is the far more important lift. Squats will help you build strength across all your lifts, yes including bench. Take Ryan Kennelly for example, the world record holder for bench press, he recently has had to restart squatting heavy in order to continue to make progress on his bench press.

2) Related to point 1, while world record holders and the like can bench similar to their squat (kinda), we are novices, therefore as we will not be benching as much as our squat or even close, then exerting the effort on bench first will mean our squat will suffer, and in turn the whole program will start to stall faster. Remember we squat every workout for a reason. The reason is that squats are the king lift, and therefore should be treated as such... by doing them first.

3) Point 2 applys to Power Cleans (and rows).

4) We dont Deadlift before squats, or before any other major lift, because it takes too much of a toll on the CNS. If our CNS is shot straight up from heavy deads, then the rest of the workout will suffer.
    Height - 5'11""
    Weight - 88kg

Current Program - Texas Method

Originally Posted by SpongeTom View Post
    The problem I have with not squatting first...
    I agree 100%.
    -Don Vito Corleone

FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000) FROGGBUSTER is just really nice. (+1000)

Look, I understand where you're coming from. You're nobody here, and your attempts to police the thread are juvenile at best. That must make you really angry. I'd suggest you bite down on your pillow a little harder to help relieve the tension.

thanks Bango, i'll get your back next time you get into an e-argument lol.

Wink Stfu

I just hate to see a good thread go to **** like this one.
    W34.5
    BF%24.95
    we 176.0
    H5'8

goal
    W32
    BF%12
    WE 165

I just hate to see a good thread go to **** like this one.
    Irony.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Closed Thread
Page 174 of 265 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 172 173 174 175 176 184 224 ... LastLast