athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Sports Nutrition!!!

What's a good nutrition program for athletes to follow, and more specifically, football and track athletes?

Thanks.
    Athlete20's Webber Pharmaceuticals Sostenol 250 Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1724131

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    all depends on your goals

athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) athlete20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I want to know amount values and timing. When should I eat certain foods (protein, carbs, fats) and how much? Also, when is the best time to take supplements?

I'm currently going to two practices per day only 3 days a week (track, then immediately afterwards, football practice) and afterwards I hit up the weight room. The other two days, I only have track and then weight lifting. What should my nutrition intake look like on these types of days? Would I be on the same type of program during the off-season as well as during the season? And, what about on off-days (days when I technically do not workout)? On those days I only do ladder and agility drills. So, how would I tweak my program?
    Athlete20's Webber Pharmaceuticals Sostenol 250 Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1724131

DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Athletes in general need more protein and carbohydrates then the average person.

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by athlete20 View Post
    I want to know amount values and timing. When should I eat certain foods (protein, carbs, fats) and how much? Also, when is the best time to take supplements?

I'm currently going to two practices per day only 3 days a week (track, then immediately afterwards, football practice) and afterwards I hit up the weight room. The other two days, I only have track and then weight lifting. What should my nutrition intake look like on these types of days? Would I be on the same type of program during the off-season as well as during the season? And, what about on off-days (days when I technically do not workout)? On those days I only do ladder and agility drills. So, how would I tweak my program?
    you still have not said what your goals are.
    timing on your macros are going to depend on goals. in general, athletes need a higher intake of protein, calories, carbs, fats etc.
    but it all depends, are you trying to gain mass or cut down.

fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fbdt99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

read the nutrition forum

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question

You're doing 13 training sessions a week?

What are you currently eating? what % Body fat are you. What kind of track events do you train for? What position in football? What type of resistance program are you following?

All these come into play. It is not just a cut & dry answer.

What are your goals?

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    Sadly that's all most of the kids here are looking for... like I've said in the past, if you can master the basics you're ahead of 95% of your competition
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Personally i believe supps to be for use only when you plateu and can no longer improve without them.

That being said. If it don't come from the ground, don't eat it. That is what my trainer tells me. That means nothing unnatural. No processed foods or sugars. Keep your self clean. I do no know your goals so i can't tell you what to eat.

There are people here who know more than me anyway nutrition wise anyway. I just know my own body. I know for sure though to eat clean.

SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Shouldnt u ask ur S/C coach about this?

Originally Posted by jmanjman47 View Post
    Athletes in general need more protein and carbohydrates then the average person.
    Do you happen to know the recommended amount per bodyweight?

Originally Posted by Veeshmack View Post
    you still have not said what your goals are.
    timing on your macros are going to depend on goals. in general, athletes need a higher intake of protein, calories, carbs, fats etc.
    but it all depends, are you trying to gain mass or cut down.
    My bad bro. With all the training I'm doing, I have lost about 15 pounds in about a month and half. That's not what my goal was. I'm not really sure if I want to bulk up or cut down. I may be playing strong this year instead of corner, but I haven't decided. So, I guess for now I'll try a maintainance (possibly a little recomp) for now. What would a cut down or a mass diet look like? I my actually try either one as well.
    Last edited by athlete20; 03-25-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Originally Posted by fbdt99 View Post
    read the nutrition forum
    I couldn't find much help on Sports Nutrition.

Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    You're doing 13 training sessions a week?

What are you currently eating? what % Body fat are you. What kind of track events do you train for? What position in football? What type of resistance program are you following?

What are your goals?
    Yeah, 11-13 a week.

About 3,700-4,000cals. About 15%, I want to get back to about 10%. I run the 100m and the 200m. I'm a corner, but I may play strong this year. About a month and half ago, I was about 210, but with the training I'm doing, I dropped to 195. I'm on an endurance program. A buddy of mine who plays semi made one up for me since the training and nutrition our coach has us on is more on the bodybuilding side.

Yeah, I know. But, I can't seem to find someone who gives me a straight answer, or an accurate one.

Originally Posted by SecondSucks View Post
    Shouldnt u ask ur S/C coach about this?
    I have. The training and nutrition program he has us on is more on the bodybuilding side. There is no way that is going to help me get where I want to be.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wink

Try this program. It is more oriented towards strength & sports.

The Main Exercises
    *****1. The Squat
    *****2. The Bench Press
    *****3. The Deadlift
    *****4. The Power Clean
    *****5. The Press
    *****6. The Row
    Accessory Exercises
    *****1. Abdominals:
    A few points:

-Start off easy so that your abs aren't trashed for days.
    -Try to keep reps lower. Over 15 is unneccessary in most cases, add weight to increase resistance.
    -Do these AFTER weight training, not before, and not on your off-days. Sore abs can wreck your back if you aren't careful when doing squats and pulls, so just do the ab work right after your workout.

A) NS Situps - (NS = Needsize, the creator of this exercise) - lie on a slant board, start at the up position, lower yourself until your upper body is parallel to the ground, hold for 5 seconds, return to the top. Add weight to your chest (i.e. hold a plate or DB or a sandbag across your chest)

B) Leg raises from a chinup bar C) Leg raises on a slantboard D) Ab pulldowns

*****2. Arms:
    A) 1-arm Barbell curls (yes, one arm) B) Alternating Hammer DB curls C) Incline DB curls

*****3. Dips
    *****4. Back extensions
    *****5. Pull-ups/Chin-ups

Training Split:
    Week 1: Monday = Workout A, Wed = Workout B, Fri = Workout A
    Week 2: Monday = Workout B, Wed = Workout A, Fri = Workout B
    Week 3: Same as week 1
    Week 4: Same as week 2
    Workout A -
    squats - 3x5
    benches - 3x5
    deadlifts - 1x5
    dips - 2x8

Workout B
    squats - 3x5
    standing press - 3x5
    rows/cleans 3x5/5x3
    chins/pullups - 2x8/3x8
    The general rule of thumb:

1) If you get all 3 sets of 5 with proper technique, then move the weight up as described above.

2) If you get all 3 sets of 5 with proper technique, but bar speed was exceedingly slow on the last few reps (i.e. you busted a nut trying to complete your reps), then you may end up stalling if you add the full amount. Err on the side of "lower". i.e. don't add 20 lbs to the deadlift, add 15. Don't add 10 lbs to the press, add 5 (or even 2.5), etc.

3) If you get the first 2 sets of 5 with proper technique, but you only get 4 reps on the 3rd, then determine if it was a "recovery deficit" (4 hours sleep last night/skipped meals, etc) or a "technique deficit" (body wasn't tight during presses, leaned forward too much in squat, etc). If the strength or technique deficit was an anomaly and/or is easily correctable, then you can probably add the normal amount of weight as described above. If the weight just felt dog heavy, then add only a bit more, or even keep the weight the same for the next workout. Better to get your 5/5/5 next workout then get a 5/5/3 or a 5/4/4 with a heavier weight.

4) If you get at least 12 or 13 of the reps total (i.e. 5/4/4 or 5/4/3 or 4/4/4) then keep the weight the same for the next workout.

If you get something strange like 5/5/2 or 5/3/4 on your 3 sets, then you probably just need to be more mindful of rest periods. Best to use 3 minutes between pressing, cleaning and rowing work sets and up to 5 for squats and deadlifts if necessary. For now, use a little too much rest rather than too little rest.

If you can't get at least the first set of 5, or if you are missing 2 or more reps each on the 2nd and 3rd sets, then you are using too much weight, assuming you recently started training.

If you had been making progress, but then all of sudden, you have several workouts in a row where you can't add weight to the bar for an exercise and get your 5/5/5, then you are "stalling?. Take a few days off.

What would a cutter look like?